Going to Orlando without going to WDW?!?!?

hwdelien

Original Poster
I'm so disappointed. Every year we go to WDW and at the end of the trip my DW makes the statement that next year we should try some of the other (shudder) amusements that Orlando has to offer. Usually after a few months, though, she gets the bug and we're planning our next trip to WDW. Our next trip is planned for May 2, 2009, but she sticking to wanting to go to Universal and Sea World (cough). I've never been to either and if I had my way I'd keep it that way. Not that those places don't sound like fun, I just don't want to do them at the expense of missing WDW. All kidding aside, 1 week is not enough time to do both. When we go to the parks we go open to close and you can't do more than 2 days in a row without approaching complete exhaustion. She pointed out to me that Universal has a $99 ticket that allows unlimited usage for up to 7 consecutive days. Ugh! I need a dose of THE Magic. I know I was just there in April, but that was almost 7 months ago.

Sorry about the rant, but I wanted to talk to some sympathetic (mouse) ears about this.

Philo

I know what you mean there. For my first trip to Orlando we first said "Let's see everything else and we'll go to WDW next time". That lasted around 30 seconds before I bought the Disney tix!

But, the other attractions are worth seeing. I go to IOA at least once per visit and, although I haven't been in a while, Universal Studios and Sea World are both worth a visit every so often. Each of these are one-day parks although I guess you could spread IOA and US to 3 days between them. Busch Gardens didn't really do it for me (despite loving roller coasters) but it might also be worth a visit.

Have you considered just splitting the time 50 / 50. Or just say that over the next few years you will visit one other park per trip. Whilst these other places are worth a visit, I don't think I could be so close to WDW and not go. I'm 99.999999% sure that once in Orlando I would just go anyway (blowing any kind of budget right of out the water!).

A good arguing point for you: Is it worth visiting IOA before The wizarding world or Harry Potter Opens? Is it worth visiting US before Rip, Ride and Rockit (or what ever it's called) is open? I thought not.....

Jaytrod

Its hard to do, especially when you get into the area and you see all the cool Disney billboards and exits to get onto the property, but I still think you will have a blast.. I haven't been to sea world in years. .I hear its a lot better than it used to be, and IOA is always a blast to me.. I love roller coasters and thrill rides so its easy to have fun there, plus there is a beer stand everywhere you look hehe :slurp:

Rototom

I broke down and went to Sea World on my last 2 trips. It is a great day trip and I did not feel like I missed much. Of course I go every year....

I'll be off to Universal when my daughter is older too.

hwdelien

Original Poster
I may have made some progress, I think. I have my DW considering buying some "no expiration" WDW tix. That way if we get the urge to "pop in" (and belive me, I will!!!) we can. One or two day tix are just too expensive and not worth it. The first, really good, price break is at five day, but if we can find the money, I wanna by 10 day "no expiration" tix.

A little over 2K will buy us 2 and more years admission for the whole family.

Nothing definite, but my fingers are crossed. Maybe the "other" places are worth a look (groan), I do love coasters, I was, before I met my wife, a card carrying member of A.C.E. after all and even attended Coaster Con one year.

RiversideBunny

"Orlando" is a Spanish word that roughly translates to "must do Disney".

It's like with the hotel chain "La Quinta", which means "next to Denny's".

:)

KeeKee

If this helps at all, we live here, worked at WDW many years ago, have access to any of the theme parks and spend 99% of our time at WDW. I'm just sayin'...

CAPTAIN HOOK

Until you've seen what Universal and SeaWorld have to offer - don't knock them.

Neither are in the same league as Disney, don't offer the same theming or magic - but are worthy of a visit - this will enable you to make up you're own mind and not to base your decisions on speculation.

We visit SeaWorld at least twice each Florida trip. It is educational and offers a thoroughly enjoyable time Univeral on the other hand doesn't suit us - we've been, we've tried it and so can dismiss it as not a place we'll be visiting again.

Peabody

If you are a WDW reugluar I think a 50/50 trip would be great.

I'd personally go to One day each at Universal, IOA, Busch, and Seaworld, and then do 3-4 days at WDW. If you've been before you can easily do favorites and new things in 3-4 days time without being too rushed. Don't poo-poo the other parks just because they're not Disney. Each of those 4 is better than 95+% of the other parks in the country. (Trust me, as a former hard-core coaster nerd I've been to like 90 parks around the country)

disneydiva72

Well, spank me weird but I always stay at a Disney resort but I go to Universal and IOA....we haven't gone to Disney in about 2 years aside from going to the VMCP in 2007-08 and this year we are not going to that either, we are just sticking with Univ and IOA.

I think IOA has a magic all its own, I love the village when you first walk in, that theming is awesome!!! I have been enjoying them much more than Disney parks the last few years

MKCP 1985

I enjoy both the Disney parks and the Universal parks, but there is a big difference. Other opinions may vary but I find that I can see, feel, and experience everything I want to do at the Universal parks in a day and have very little desire to go back for a second day. Therefore, the multi-day pass wouldn't appeal to me at all.

But I am not a Universal basher. The Mummy, Spider Man, the Dueling Dragons coasters, the Terminator show, the Hulk . . . all combine to make a very enjoyable alternative to Disney magic. I once built a vacation around only Universal and it didn't hold up to the experience of a Disney vacation. :shrug:

Since your DW is talking about doing both, I'd recommend you open your mind to the possibility, take a day out of your Disney experience, and go enjoy what Universal has to offer. You may be pleasantly surprised. And if you are not, Disney will still be there for the rest of your trip and your next one. :)

KeeKee

I would agree about the other parks. They are certainly worthy of time spent, but nothing compares to WDW.

We go to Universal about every 3 - 5 years and Sea World about every 5. We have a friend performing in the Shamu Rocks show, so have been to Sea World a little more lately, but that's the only reason.

krankenstein

I've been several times without visiting a Disney park. I enjoy going on the rare Universal only trip. It kind of spices things up.

That said, one way to get a bit of magic is to visit DtD and some resorts. It is free and will help tide you over to your next Disney trip.

Jane1

hey i think after living in disney world and orlando for a year i can tell u if u get bored of disney, there's idrive, which is unbelievable, great restaurants - u have to try olive garden wow! lol, and theres crazy golf, irish and english pubs, water world - i never went to it, but my friends went wen they came to visit me, - i worked in disney world, in epcot in the uk pavilion for the year - long way from home lol but amazing year. sea world, only managed it twice :( and universal twice too, but it's cheaper to get the year pass for both those parks, much cheaper, better value to. also don't pre book ur park tickets for anywer. once u get there go to idrive, and the shops there have lots of offers on and u can get tickets cheaper :) hope it helps. and the hotels on idrive, stay for as little as $60 or £30 it was then, in a hotel. quality inn is great as is, ah can't member, was on stop 25 i think lol

GoCamels

I made three seperate trips to Orlando for basketball games against UCF while in college in the 90s, twice with the men's team and once with the women.

We stayed at the Radisson downtown once, and twice at the Holiday Inn-UCF, and not once did we get time to get over to WDW...fly in from Raleigh around 11pm on Wednesday...go to hotel, find something to eat and crash...wake-up, walk-thru/shootaround at 11am at UCF Arena, back to hotel, pre-game meal at 3:30...to the arena at 5:30, play at 7, finish at 9, back to hotel by 9:30...then it was off to find something to eat/drink before crashing out for the bus/flight to Boca or Miami or Deland or Jacksonville on Friday for the next game on Saturday...and all the time having to do laundry on my two men's trips as manager...and then on the women's trip having to do prep for this game and the next one as radio play-by-play...all business and no mouse.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom