Going Solo...

Kman101

Original Poster
This was probably done before ... but ...

I'm going to be getting an annual pass for myself, and while it's awesome to go with friends or family, I'd kinda like to go by myself ...

It's gonna be a little weird but I figure it could be just as fun too. Not waiting on anyone ... doing just what *I* want to do ... I can take my time, go as fast as I want, eat when I want, stop and take pictures ...

So my question is ... do any of you go solo? I know most here probably go for a week, or a few days at a time and make it a family or friend vacation event ....

Scar Junior

When on the CP I spent a few half-days alone in the parks. It was awesome. One day I didn't even go on any rides. I just sat around the MK, read a book, got a haircut, worked on my tan. I highly suggest it.

World Showcase is also great to do alone... you can spend as much time as you want in each country.

goofyfan13

This was probably done before ... but ...

I'm going to be getting an annual pass for myself, and while it's awesome to go with friends or family, I'd kinda like to go by myself ...

It's gonna be a little weird but I figure it could be just as fun too. Not waiting on anyone ... doing just what *I* want to do ... I can take my time, go as fast as I want, eat when I want, stop and take pictures ...

So my question is ... do any of you go solo? I know most here probably go for a week, or a few days at a time and make it a family or friend vacation event ....

I go solo all the time. I used to have a roommate who shared my obsession for Disney, so we would just alternate who drove and go over at least every other weekend. Going solo really does give you the freedom to do whatever you want. The last couple times I've gone solo, I typically leave in the mid afternoon, go do a couple rides, and then end the day at Epcot for some dinner and desert, casually take a stroll around the park, or possibly find a quiet corner and take in the music and people watch basically soaking it all in. Of course you can't leave without catching Illuminations. :sohappy:

The one perk about the roommate though was going every other weekend was possible because we didn't have to drop a lot of money on gas individually.

I would love to go solo. Not to say I don't love going with the family, but everytime I'm there I think "Now, if I was on my own I could (insert whatever you wanna do here)".

Enjoy! :wave:

wdwmomof3

Well.... I could never do it. I guess I am like my Dad. When Disney first opened he won a trip with his company for two. He and my Mom flew down. They were there for one day and when they got back to the hotel room they called my grandparents and told them to pack the bags for me and my sister and for them as well and meet them at the airport. They flew us all down there for the rest of the week. It was magical, and I was little.:)

I can see having some alone time down there to relax and enjoy the beautiful surroundings but I would have to have my family with me.

disneytopdog

I went for an entire week by myself during the free dining promotion.
I had one of the best times that I ever had. Yes I was a topic of conversation with the people sitting next to me at the sit down resturants. But I took it all in stride.

I did what I wanted, when I wanted, towards the end of the week I would just walk around the parks find a shady bench and park myself and watch the people go by.

At Animal Kingdom I watched the Tigers for over an hour...you cant do that with anyone but yourself.

I would recomend a solo trip to anyone.

Kerby626

Well, for all the times my wife has gone without me. Because of different reasons. Me being deployed for example....I think I would love to go by myself. Only problem is I think I'd get lonely for my wife. Maybe I'll just send her away for a day.

CrashNet

Add me to the list that has gone solo. I've done it at all four parks, but Epcot is my favorite (I'm slightly biased because I worked there.) I had no agenda, went where I wanted when I wanted, and actually slowed down and enjoyed everything else most don't pay attention to when they have a map in front of them and a 3:30 appointment with Soarin' or Mission: Space. Most of the times I went by myself I never went near a single ride (although its 10 times easier to get on a ride by yourself.) I grabbed some food, found a nice spot around the lagoon, and simply enjoyed the scenery. My appreciation for the parks grew two-fold.

svickersart

I did WDW a few years ago for 5 days alone, then went with a friend who stayed 5 days while I stayed for 8, so 3 days alone. I have an AP for D/L and my GF cant always go so I will go alone, I've made a bunch of trips alone to D/L. At first when I was at WDW ( I was married and she had kids) I missed them a bit and would think "her kids would love this" then I would see someones kids being a brat and getting yelled at and that thought passed from my mind. Going with friends or family is a great but I love to go alone and my GF doesnt have a problem with it. The biggest benifit to going with someone else is splitting costs, especially WDW where 4 people in your group brings the price per person down (makes no difference if one persons paying for the whole thing though). Go alone and have fun, do what you want when you want and eat whatever, whenever. Talk to people while you are standing in line, you meet interesting people from all over. When I'm alone, if Im sitting down to eat and its busy and tables are full I look for people who are wandering around looking for somewhere to sit and motion them over to join me. I've eaten with some interesting people over the years.
Steve

drdoom1001

but won't you be depressed when you see everyone else with thier family? i would but if you wanna go solo go for it.

Going with my family is fine since we tour the park similarly and get a lot done,but the few times that I truly did feel depressed is sometimes I've gone with friends and acquaintances where everyone wanted to do something different,took forever to do things,got to the park late then had to leave early so basically did very little while at the parks. I prefer to go solo for sure as compared to that scenario,I wasn't going crazy cause I was the only one with an AP in the group and could've come back the next week with no problem,but these people were paying $60-$70 bucks for a day of not doing much!!

raven

I have gone solo for years now and my vacations are usually a week long. I post on every thread about the same topic telling people that thye will love it and they usually do. If you have any specific questions about doing things solo just PM me. :wave:

SarahBella82

There are many people on this board who rave about going alone. I've only done it once (and only for a short while), but it was fun.

I went back to Epcot for Illuminations last October when my mother and sister were not up to it. I walked the World Showcase, got a croissant and a cup of hot chocolate, and found a spot to watch the show. Half the fun was watching the reactions of others who were watching. But it was really nice to be able to wander on my own, without destination, at my own pace.

Enjoy yourself!

CrashNet

There are many people on this board who rave about going alone. I've only done it once (and only for a short while), but it was fun.

I went back to Epcot for Illuminations last October when my mother and sister were not up to it. I walked the World Showcase, got a croissant and a cup of hot chocolate, and found a spot to watch the show. Half the fun was watching the reactions of others who were watching. But it was really nice to be able to wander on my own, without destination, at my own pace.

Enjoy yourself!
Watching everyone else's reactions is fun. As I said previously I visited Epcot the most on my own. Everytime I went I stayed through Illuminations. I always picked out a spot near one of the perimeters around the lagoon to watch the reactions of the guests in front of them when they went off.

All it really boils down to is getting away from the idea that going somewhere by yourself makes you an outcast. If anything, it shows your strength and independence.

ravensworth

I went solo to MGM Disney studios and it was also my first time at that park. It was great! I went at my own speed, sat down and took it all in from different parts of the park and walked on to several rides with hardly any wait. I think I might just do it again when I go in 3 weeks! :sohappy:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom