Trip Report Go west they said. The weather is so perfect you'll never want to leave they said.

Greetings to all my Disney-fied, Pixie Dust-fried friends! Yep, it's that time again...moving on to the next adventure. This time we finally went west for our glorious (or not-so-glorious?) return to Disney parks.

The particulars:

Who? Me, Tracey (DH, @Sweetpee's Sugar Daddy), Chandler (DS18, @casutton96), & Brian (DS16)

What? Disneyland Resort family vacation

Where? Disneyland Hotel / Disneyland / California

When? April 26, 2104 - May 3, 2014

I'm not feeling extra wordy at the moment (rare, I know) so let's get started....

mrdrift

Great trip report and pictures. One day I will be able to afford to take the family on that world tour. Thanks for the look from the tour.

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
HOLY CARP!!!!

I just now noticed this! Look closely at the silverware on the top shelf in this display case:

DSC01395.jpg

They're silverware made from tools! Wow! Just WOW!

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
So neat to see Disneyland through your eyes!!

And I loved your visit to the Pacific Ocean. Really cool to see the tidal pools filling up and dried-out things come back to life. :)

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
Always thrilled to see a new Sweetpee trip report! Especially happy to read this one. After several trips to WDW my husband has decided he would like to do something else for our annual vacation:eek:. Personally I'd happily go back every year forever! He would like to go to San Francisco next year(we're already booked in WDW in August for this year. Yay!). I've agreed to this as long as we can also go to Disneyland also! So at the moment we're thinking of five days in San Francisco & five days in Disneyland:). Very provisional at the moment as it will depend on finances etc but I'm already excited thinking about it, so I'll be eagerly following this report. Can't wait for the rest:)

Hey there, Lisa! I'm with your hubby, I'd like to go to San Francisco, too. There's the Walt Disney Family Museum there and it's supposed to be A-mazing with a capital A! The drive down to LA along the Pacific Coast Hwy is supposed to be super awesome so that's on my list to-do one of these trips. ;)

Hope you enjoy the report. It was quite the trip...in many ways not what we expected... :eek:

My thoughts exactly. Although every time (3 times) I rode it last month, I ended up going through Ramone's for a paint job, so no tire change for me yet.

Thanks for the trip report Sweetpee. This is awesome so far!!

I think we rode the Racers a total of 4 times. I only saw Ramone's once on the last ride. The color effect didn't work entirely, tho. Of the 3 times I went thru Luigi's the tire effect only worked once. Hit or miss. I'm happy to keep trying to get those hits, tho. LOL!

Glad you're enjoying!

Goat trick??? Missed that one.

Also at DL they still let you ride up front of the monorail....Hope you had a chance to do that...now back to reading.

Goat trick. On BTMRR when you crest the 2nd lift hill you'll see the rattlesnakes on the left (I think) then the goat with the stick of dynamite in his mouth on the right. When you can see the goat, do NOT take your eyes off him as the train starts down and around. Keep your eyes on the goat. Do it once and you'll understand why. It made the whole earth shift around in my head. It was neat! ;)

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
I liked PP, but prefer MK PP to this one. The flying through the stars seemed too long and the flying over Neverland seemed too short.

I loved the Tiki Room and loved how it was packed for every performance. Funny how East coast people love the Country Bears (and West coast didn't, hence the Pooh ride), but West coast people love their Tiki room and East coast doesn't.

Oh I could float thru those stars forever. It's such a dreamy feeling. Nothing you could replicate unless maybe you were an astronaut. Maybe that's what they feel like? I agree, the actual story bits did seem sorta short. It's like as soon as the story began you were floating thru the stars then the story was ending. It was startlingly fast or abbreviated compared to the Florida version.

I know, right?! I do love the Country Bears but I think people who've been going to WDW since waaaaay back prob'ly embrace these old-timers with love and nostalgia. I especially love the Tiki Room because I remember how much my grandparents loved it. My grampa would whistle the songs. I sit in that room signing right along, bouncing side to side on every word. In California it's soooooo wonderful to sing and bounce side to side with a whole room of other people doing it, too. There's no better description of the feeling other than: I have found my people!!!! I'm not lying when I say I'm a complete dork. :geek::geek:

I got a little teary at your Walt's footsteps tour Kelly.

I want to do that so bad, and I know I will next year or the year after depending on vacation time.

Awwww, really? Well, YOU will likely get a better Walk in Walt's Footsteps than we did. With Club 33 closed for the major remodel & expansion we weren't allowed into the lobby. Normally the lobby is a stop on the tour. So, I'll expect a full detailed account of your tour when you do it! K?

Ok let me look at my notes..

The headboard and faucets. ..love them!!

Your description of seeing and feeling the Pacific Ocean made me cry....and I'm at work!! Lots of weird looks my way!!

Your cactus story cracked me up!! I was the same way when I first seen it too! We were riding through Arizona though

We have another cruise planned for next September but we are talking about going to Disneyland in January. So, I will probably be asking tons of questions!!

I see you have updates so I need to go back to reading!!

Oh no! No leeky eyeballs!

Yay! I'm not the only person impressed by random cacti. I'm never sure if plural for cactus should be cactuses or cacti. We debated this once a long time ago and collectively decided we like cacti. So cacti it is. LOL!

Ooooohhh.... Let's see, my next cruise (not Tracey or the boys') is with a bunch of the gals from here in September. After that the family is going on the Panama Canal next May for Chandler's big graduation. Disneyland again for Tracey and me at the veeery end of this coming September all alone for our anniversary. We kinda like running away together without the boys. The anniversary is the best excuse because the boys can't argue or debate it. We're the BEST parents EVER, huh? LOL!

Great trip report and pictures. One day I will be able to afford to take the family on that world tour. Thanks for the look from the tour.

When you find the world tour money tree, please let me know! I love sharing our little adventures with everyone. @Sweetpee's Sugar Daddy, @casutton96, & @obrienIII like to go back and read them, too. Even when I say I'm not going to write a report I always do because my family enjoys them. :D

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
So neat to see Disneyland through your eyes!!

And I loved your visit to the Pacific Ocean. Really cool to see the tidal pools filling up and dried-out things come back to life. :)
Siobhan! You get your own lovely little reply post all to your sweet self!

Disneyland is so cool. It was so different yet somewhat familiar. The Pacific Ocean was such a great little moment. I'll remember it always. Tide pools are the neatest thing. Like you said, all those little things that come to life in what is, essentially, puddles. All it takes is the will to live with love from the sun, moon, & stars. Amazing!

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
Monday, April 28, 2014 - Friends make the fun even funner!

I woke all by myself at 7:00. No alarm. This is where the time difference from home is so cool. I usually sleep until sometime between 8 - 9. This equals 7 am on the west coast. I don't wake too late. Yet.

We were out of the room at 8:30. Morning elevator mirror shot!

First we stopped by Guest Services at the front desk to put some gift cards on our room charge. Brian took a seat here.

In the lobby they have the coolest teacup chairs. Brian wanted me to take this so refined in a teacup shot.

I told him to lean in and grab the table like he's spinning his teacup.

For breakfast we opted to hit up Steakhouse 55 right here at the DLH.

Chandler had steak, eggs, and potatoes.

Brian had an omelet and potatoes.

I had the breakfast granola. I really wasn't hungry but thought I'd go for some decent fuel anyway.

I didn't take a picture of Tracey's food. He had basic eggs, bacon, and potatoes. The breakfast overall was tasty but the service was pretty slow. Tracey saw other people come in and leave in the time we were there. It wasn't just my impatient nature. :D

On our way out I took a few pics in the area that's right by the convention center. I liked the umbrella light fixtures.

They had this little Autopia type car so Brian hammed it up for me.

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
We headed out thru DtD. We stopped at the Sunglass Icon and waited for them to open so we could get Brian a pair of sunglasses. Until now he'd mostly used Tracey's old Oakleys whenever they went fishing or whatever. We forgot to bring him any for this trip. What is there to do for Daddy-O to buy his boy his first pair of brand new Oakleys all his own? It was kinda a cool moment! I was somewhat surprised at Brian's choice because I saw him going a different direction style-wise but teenagers will choose their own way. Not for us to predict. Right?

Onward we went into DCA! We do love this park in the morning. When we entered it was still the early hour for hotel guests. On the way to Soarin' we passed by the Taste Pilots Grill. Looks like an airplane hanger. That's our kinda place!

In case we forgot what line we were in.

Inside the building, the queue area is veeeery different from the east coast. It's walk of fame of sorts for aviation! This is the part I most looked forward to! I mean, look at the photo of the SR-71 Blackbird. That's 50 years ago in aviation history but it's still freaking cool as heck!

The awesomeness just envelopes you. Isn't that the Bell X-1 underneath the panel with the Air Force insignia on it?

Even I know the Bell X-1 is the plane Chuck Yeager was the first to break the sound barrier in! See, Tracey?! I do listen!

California Aviators!

Amelia. Cool, but not my favorite female aviator. ;)

My favorite is actually in this picture but she's hard to see down there. I have a better picture later in the trip.

Moving on towards our hanger bay, Tracey was making fun of Chandler's flat brim hat. He hates flat brim hats.

I asked Tracey later in the trip what airplane this is. For the first time ever, he had no answer. Tracey can name any airplane complete with all sorts of stats at any time. He's like an encyclopedia of airplanes. But this one, this one he said is nothing. That's the word he used: "Nothing." He's never seen it before and has no idea what it is, if it's a chopped together prop or what.

Minnie was meeting here so we weren't skipping that.

With my camera. I realize Brian and I are using the wrong hand but if we had used the right one he'd be elbowing Minnie in the eye and I'd be elbowing him in the eye.

Bear left. Sounds like a good idea to me.

I like this sign especially with Tracey & Brian in the shot.

Last edited:

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
Right about now the boys ditched us to run off to California Screaming. That's fine. Tracey & I could stroll and relax.

Grizzly River Run is closed for refurb. Sad face.

The Steam Donkey. It's over there peeking out from behind the pine tree.

We tried to linger a bit to meet Dug but he was nowhere in sight. We looked over the Redwood Creek Challenge Trail. Looks like fun.

Tracey has seen the real redwoods but he humored me for the picture anyway.

More refurb at the Grizzly River Run.

Photopass photog. Why not?!

This is so cute!

On our way to find our offspring. See the roller coaster about to launch?

We spotted the boys in the standby line. We positioned ourselves near the exit so we could snag their on-ride picture with the Photopass+ card. Chandler & Brian's first Screamin' ride!

I wanted to ride, too, so we grabbed fastpasses then headed over to TSMM. Here's a video of Mr. Potato Head belting it out.

Instagram! These are the Oakley bros. Too cool!

The queue is pretty much totally outside. The wait was about 45 minutes. There's no Fastpass here. The line moved pretty steady but it was starting to heat up pretty good so it was less than ideal. We survived, tho!

The ride is pretty much all the same games as the Florida version but it felt like you actually were riding a little more between games vs. just turn around a corner to the next game. It was fun, as always. At the end when you're walking out they have this little vigniette showing you Andy's living room and the game you were just part of.

We doubled back to California Screaming so we could all ride. This is such a great coaster! It's pretty smooth. I loved the onboard audio. I was suprised to see the picture spot in such an odd point in the ride but okay. Still fun and its fun to have pics.

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
I'd been getting texts from @Disneyfalcon letting me know how close she was and/or when she arrived. We needed some lunch so we met Tammy just inside the Grand Californian gate to DCA and hit up Whitewater Snacks for some grub. I do recall having a Caesar salad and it was good. ;)

After lunch we headed into DL park.

Walking right down the middle of Main Street USA!

I took this for Brian. He loves Steamboat Willie.

Making the turn into Tomorrowland.

We went to grab Space Mountain fastpasses but the return time was already within our dinner reservation time. No go. We headed over to BTMRR to grab some fastpasses there instead.

Crossing back thru the hub towards Frontierland, we saw the Omnibus. I used to ride these around World Showcase.

Castle pic. Do you see the dog on the bottom left? We watched this dog for a few minutes. It's a service dog in training. The humans had put little dog shoes on the dog, I would guess to protect it's paw pads from the hot pavement. The dog was soooo not down with wearing little shoes. It kept trying to lay down and nip at the straps.

Fastpasses for BTMRR secured, we took the train from Frontierland over to Toontown. We haven't seen Toontown yet. And there's a cool ride here. I LOVE Who Framed Roger Rabbit!!!!

Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin! The standby wait was like 30 minutes maybe. It's inside out of the hot sun so we were game. So much fun stuff in the queue, too! I only wish I'd taken more pics than this one.

I did do an Instagram video on the ride, tho!

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
We lingered a little in Toon Town. It's such a fun little area. I love it. I only wish I'd spent more time here during the trip! The "bar" is a stretchy thing. Makes for a good picture. What is Chandler doing?!

The Power Company door.

When you tried to open the door it made electric sizzle sounds.

I don't remember what the doorbell did at the Camera Shop. All the doors did stuff.

Apparently this is where the chicken crosses the road.

City Hall. Looks important. We didn't see anything going on here, tho.

We had a snack/water break then moved on over towards Buzz Lightyear. The wait wasn't too bad. The first little bit was outside...did I mention hot brutal the sun was???...but then the majority of it was inside so it was all good. Overall I find the shooting to be harder because the guns you pick up and hold in your hand. Maybe there's not as many targets either. (?) It's definitely way more fun in my book!

The on-ride picture you can email to yourself at the end. For FREE!

We returned to BTMRR to use our fastpasses but the ride was down. Dernnit! We can't get back over here tonight! Grrrrrr!!!

Chandler grabbed a Dole Whip then we made our way towards the exit gates. We passed by the goodies on display along the way. Yummy!

We crossed over to DCA. On our way towards the Carthay Circle restaurant we passed thru Elias & Co. How can they be so serious with mouse ears on the helmets???

Instagram shot!

meganw1985

Ok, I should have taken notes lol.
1) Want, want, want to stay at the Disneyland Hotel SOOOO BAD! Since I first ever thought about going to Disneyland. I cannot spend that money though. Just can't. The thought makes me sick. So special offers would be appreciated Disney!
2) I choked up a little thinking about Walt and Lillian. I would not want a tree. But I would gladly take it. Bless his lovin' heart! Could you imagine being married to Walt Disney?! Every holiday you would think "Oh my gosh. What will I get this time?" lol
3) Flo's: I had already wanted to eat here. Now I have to.
4) Stupid question because I already know the answer. That's the raft area that is just empty on Grizzly River Run?? Looks like a wide sidewalk is all!
5) The TSMM box in the living room is TOO CUTE!! LOVE!
6) Sweets :hungry: Do you remember seeing any fruit tarts?? I didn't see any in the case...or couldn't anyway. I always get them at the Beach Club/Boardwalk bakeries, and I think I have at the Magic Kingdom too. I get them and then sinfully enjoy them for breakfast!

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
It was time to meet with more friends and head on to our 5:10 dinner. We met @derelicte19 & @TiggerLuv18 outside the restaurant. We all went inside and found @Mukta waiting for us. Yaaaayyy!!! We're all here!!!!! We got all checked-in and had a very short wait before we headed upstairs to the dining room. We all had the price fixe menu for the World of Color dinner package. I added on a couple orders of the famous jalopeno "biscuits".

This was my salad appetizer.

My steak entree.

And my chocolate whatever dessert.

The meal was good and we really enjoyed the company. The service was quite slow. It was kinda a bad thing when Mukta said "Oh we'll be here 2 hours at least. It's always like that." It was. :(

When we finally made it outside after dinner the sun was going down. Mercifully, the sun was going away.

We had some time before we needed to go grab spots for the World of Color show so Mukta wanted to show us the best place to get pictures especially at night. When we got there, Red was passing thru!

There was a Photopass photog so we had a little group photo shoot.

From left to right:

A fairly rare look at @Disneyfalcon /Tammy, @derelicte19 /Darolyn, Brian, me, @Sweetpee's Sugar Daddy /Tracey, @casutton96 /Chandler, @Mukta /Mukta, and @TiggerLuv18 /Ashley.

Arms out! Except I'm armless. LOL!

Brian's driving! Everyone freak out! (the funny part is that's really what Chandler does when Brian drives)

Right turn! Everyone go right! Except you, Tracey. Just do whatever you feel like doing. That's okay.

Turn left! Everyone go left! Aaaaaargh!!!!

This really is a killer spot to photograph.

We decided it was a good time to go find a spot in the dinner package section for the World of Color show. It wasn't as good a spot as I thought it'd be but it was still pretty darned good.

So, while we're standing here waiting for the show because it IS standing only the CMs guiding everyone to where they should or shouldn't be. They mingled thru the crowd chatting everyone up and making sure everything was going okay. And that people didn't decide they were entitled to stand in the handicap section even though they aren't supposed to be there and block the view of other people who've been standing there for quite a while longer. :cautious::cautious: But I digress. o_O Anywhoo, CM guy comes around chatting and somehow we got on the subject of having tried In-N-Out burgers. We were all joking and lamenting the many burger places that were better. This is when I opened my big mouth and announced very loudly in front of thousands of people that "Five Guys is better!!!!" Ever have that moment when as soon as the words leave your mouth you realize you shoulda thought that mess over before you said it??? Yep. I did it again. Everyone died laughing, me included. @derelicte19 said that was definitely in the running for trip report title consideration. LOL! Believe it or not, this isn't even close to the worst one of these flubs I've made. The one I did at the dentist's office right before Christmas was the worst. Ever. In the history of the world. :oops:

Oh! And I hope @derelicte19 tells the story in her report about hanging with my smooth 16 year old. LOL! We don't call him Bri-ney for nothing. That's a combination of Brian + Barney (Stinson). ;)

Eventually the show did go on and it. was. amazing! World of Color is like nothing I've ever seen. It's amazing! You can look for videos of it on YouTube. I did a couple little Instagram vids.

Tracey & I loved this one.

After the show we stayed put and let the bulk of the herds head out ahead of us. We took our time and leisurely strolled. We cut through the Grand Californian. I snapped this picture of the lobby.

We walked Tammy over to the Paradise Pier Hotel and had a little peek at what the rooms look like there. Very cute. Then, we walked back to our hotel. Tracey and I stopped in at Tangaroa Terrace for some coconut cake and milk. Man, that's some good stuff!

I made it to bed at about 10:30 or so. It was another looooong Disneyland day!

Last edited:

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
Tracey just Googled the airplane picture to try to figure out what that plane is that Minnie was standing next to in DCA. We learn something every day! It's a Cessna 195. This one is waaaay prettier:

Cessna 195.jpg

Violiav

@sweetpea_1993, speaking as a California ex-pat adrift in the very heart of Aggieland, there is nothing quite like the Pacific in summer. I love and miss it. A couple summers ago my boyfriend (a fellow California transplant) and I visited Padre and boy, was that water warm! It was just so strange. Oh, I miss the view of snow capped mountains from the beach.
I've tried Whataburger a few times since moving here and I just don't get it. I miss In&Out, Jack in the box the doesn't suck, and real Baja Mexican. LE sigh.

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
Ok, I should have taken notes lol.
1) Want, want, want to stay at the Disneyland Hotel SOOOO BAD! Since I first ever thought about going to Disneyland. I cannot spend that money though. Just can't. The thought makes me sick. So special offers would be appreciated Disney!
2) I choked up a little thinking about Walt and Lillian. I would not want a tree. But I would gladly take it. Bless his lovin' heart! Could you imagine being married to Walt Disney?! Every holiday you would think "Oh my gosh. What will I get this time?" lol
3) Flo's: I had already wanted to eat here. Now I have to.
4) Stupid question because I already know the answer. That's the raft area that is just empty on Grizzly River Run?? Looks like a wide sidewalk is all!
5) The TSMM box in the living room is TOO CUTE!! LOVE!
6) Sweets :hungry: Do you remember seeing any fruit tarts?? I didn't see any in the case...or couldn't anyway. I always get them at the Beach Club/Boardwalk bakeries, and I think I have at the Magic Kingdom too. I get them and then sinfully enjoy them for breakfast!

Let's see...
1) DL does offer some discounts but they're not as deep as what you see at WDW. They don't release so far ahead of time either. You just have to watch and save like crazy. That was also a factor in buying the APs. AP room discounts. ;)
2) I know, right? Wouldn't it be a fun ride to be married to a "Walt Disney"? Never know what you'll get. Definitely won't be predictable!
3) We should've sat on the other side where we could have better views.
4) Grizzly River Run was closed for refurb. It was drained. The wide sidewalk normally is full of water and the rafts float there. ;)
5) Isn't it adorable?! Adds the last little touch to the story. When you play the game you're one of Andy's toys playing.
6) I'm pretty sure I saw the tarts at the Jolly Holiday Bakery on Main Street at the hub. That shop I took the pic of, that was only 1 case of sweets of 3 that are there. :D

Fantastic, looking forward to reading more. Everything is so bright in your photos. That was such a hot week!

That poor dog.

The heat is definitely building at this point in the report. It was brutal but I'll get to that.

I dunno. Would it be worse to not have the shoes on and get scorched paw pads or weird feeling shoes? We did see the dog again a little later and the shoes were off. ;)

DSC01449.jpg
this looks so good...:)

Brian enjoyed it. He ate most of it which is nothing short of a miracle because he's not a breakfast eater at all.

I just love your family. The comraderie and comedy and fun is so great. Thanks for sharing another fantastic trip report!

Well thank you! Oh yes, we're usually good for some comedy. When it's just us we definitely have our share of drama but I suppose that comes with the territory when you're all really passionate type people. So much more to come in this report! I'm just getting started!

@sweetpea_1993, speaking as a California ex-pat adrift in the very heart of Aggieland, there is nothing quite like the Pacific in summer. I love and miss it. A couple summers ago my boyfriend (a fellow California transplant) and I visited Padre and boy, was that water warm! It was just so strange. Oh, I miss the view of snow capped mountains from the beach.
I've tried Whataburger a few times since moving here and I just don't get it. I miss In&Out, Jack in the box the doesn't suck, and real Baja Mexican. LE sigh.

I've not been down to Padre yet! I want to! We've been to the other 2 Schlitterbahn waterparks in Texas. I need to get down to the one there. I hear the beaches are much prettier down that way. Galveston has some downright yucky looking beaches. I'm spoiled to the gulf coast over by Pensacola where the sand is pure white. Mountains from the beach are amazing!

Whataburger is good but not best. Jack in the Crack...er...*Box* is good drinkin' food. I couldn't even tell you the last time I've been to one of those. Years. Mexican isn't my favorite food. I could take it or leave it.

That area of the park has to be one of the most photogenic areas in all of theme park history.

Isn't it, tho?! Incredible spot.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom