Trip Report Go west they said. The weather is so perfect you'll never want to leave they said.

Greetings to all my Disney-fied, Pixie Dust-fried friends! Yep, it's that time again...moving on to the next adventure. This time we finally went west for our glorious (or not-so-glorious?) return to Disney parks.

The particulars:

Who? Me, Tracey (DH, @Sweetpee's Sugar Daddy), Chandler (DS18, @casutton96), & Brian (DS16)

What? Disneyland Resort family vacation

Where? Disneyland Hotel / Disneyland / California

When? April 26, 2104 - May 3, 2014

I'm not feeling extra wordy at the moment (rare, I know) so let's get started....

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
Great trip report, can't wait for the Disneyland and California Adventures part of the report. The beach report and pictures were just breath taking. I live in southern California and not an In-and-Out fan at all so I understand your thoughts on that topic.

Coming super soon now!

Oh good. I'm glad to know we're not just THAT family that doesn't get In-N-Out. I think I'll try it again sometime just to be sure. My mother-in-law said there's one coming to Houston so maybe I'll get to try again sooner than later.

As always loving your trip report Kelly! Also loved following along and being jealous on Instagram! ;) I am hoping we get to DL in 2016 to run the half marathon. I loved your beach trip too! Dan and I will definitely be doing that when we go to CA. We love the beach here in NJ but would love to see the Pacific!

Five Guys fan here too! It is overpriced but for a treat now and again it is awesome! Love, love, love their fries! We also love Red Robin. My favorite is the patty melt on rye with the fried onions. We used to have the chain, Fuddruckers in our area but it sadly closed. I am not sure if the chain went out of business or if just the location closed. They were expensive but had the best burgers. OK, I am now starving! Can't wait to read the rest!

Hi, Kristia! Thanks, sweetie. Oh I was lovin' me some Instagram on the trip. I hear the running events, particularly the main one, sell out like super duper fast so when you do go to register be ready as soon as it opens. The Pacific is definitely something to see and worth the time to venture to. It's really not that far either. The guys at the Alamo rental place were so helpful, provided us with maps and tips to manage the traffic.

We have Fudruckers here, actually. The locations I've been to are all kinda grubby and dirty inside which is such a turnoff to me. Like old funky food ground into the flooring, stickiness all over, and just a general atmosphere of funk. It turns my stomach. I do remember going to Fudruckers locations that were clean and the burgers were excellent. I just can't bring myself to go where the surroundings kill my appetite every time. But, definitely Fudruckers still exists just not in the way it used to be.

Hi! Loving your trip report so far, as always! I also follow you on Instagram (my instagram name is: thevioletseeker) and loved seeing some of your pictures while you were there! Looks like you had a great time, despite those Santa Ana winds! I live up in Northern California, so we don't usually have hot winds like that. But I've been down in SoCal when they've been blowing and I know how miserable they can be! Glad you survived and still enjoyed yourselves!

As for In-N-Out, I love and hate it. There have been times when it's the best burger and fries (animal style on both, always) ever. And then there are times when it's just not so good and I know I could have gotten a better burger somewhere else. As for the fries, I agree that they are not the greatest. But I think that's largely in part because they only fry them once, unlike, say, McDonalds, which does a double fry and makes them crispier. I think, according to the 'secret menu', you can ask for them 'well done' and they'll fry them up longer to make them crispier. I'm with you on the mayo though. I'm definitely a mayo on a burger girl! I'm usually satisfied enough to make my In-N-Out burger animal style and their Thousand Island dressing is enough for me!

I hope you do get to someday make the drive out west and explore more of California! There's nothing I love more than having the time to drive the coast from NorCal to SoCal. So beautiful to watch the coastline (and weather) change from the warmer, sandier beaches down south to the more cooler, rugged and rocky coast up north. And there's just so much to see in between! San Diego, Yosemite, Tahoe, Monterey, San Francisco (home to the Walt Disney Family Musuem...see Disney is everywhere!) and so much more! I could go on and on and on...my love for this state knows no bounds! But I'll save you from my 'California love' soapbox and just say that I hope you'll return and continue to explore! Or as Ellie would say, "Adventure is out there!"

Looking forward to the rest of your report!

Adrienne

Hiya, Adrienne! Okay! So you're thevioletseeker! I sometimes see people liking my posts and I'm like "Do I know that person???" But, because I've mentioned my username here a few times it's plausible that people I might not recognize right away would be following and liking. I'm really bad with names on a good day and my memory is very scattery so if I'm confuddled, it's probly normal. LOL!

Yeah, I'll get to the Santa Anas in a few days of the report. Our home (not where we currently live) is only a few miles from the Gulf coast as the crow flies. Every now and then in the spring and hot summer, in the afternoons when the breezes really pick up we'd get the hot wind. It's miserable. I've felt hot wind before but never with the dirt in it that acted as an abbrasive. It was not fun.

I do hope to get up to northern California someday, too. I'm sure we will. Tracey & I have such a wanderlust. Many of the places you listed he has been already when he was a kid. Tracey's family lived in Antioch for a few years when he was oh I'd say maybe 12? While they were there his parents would pack their 4 kiddos up in the back of their truck (it had a camper shell) and go off camping. They went to Tahoe, Yosemite, all sorts of places. And they always drove to/from Texas when they made the trip. I couldn't imagine doing that drive with 4 kids!

I've heard amazing things about the Walt Disney Family Museum. It's on the list of to-dos. I fully intend to give that place an entire day!

You totally nailed it in a way that's so me: Adventure is out there! It surely is and I intend to live every moment I can to the fullest. Time is too precious not to.

I'm so glad you are doing this TR! I'm going to Walt's park in just a few short weeks and have no idea what to expect! Cannot WAIT for the rest!!!!!

I hope and pray you get the average weather. ;) There's nothing that can compare to being in Walt's park. To stand on Main Street and know he stood there. To know that what you're looking at his eyes once saw. It's amazing.

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
Very nice so far Sweetpee. Can't wait to leave for CA myself in 2 weeks!

I can't drive for 10 minute on Long Island without seeing another Five Guys. I like them well enough. I like Shake Shack better though.

Again, I hope and pray for everyone to go to California and have the average weather for your visit. I really REALLY do.

Writing Shake Shack on my list. Just the name sounds right up Tracey's alley because he's a shake guy. :D

Enjoy the TR! It's more than great!!

Thanks, FlaggNL! More good stuff to come very soon!

Looking forward to the rest of your report.

I went to DL for the first time last September and loved it! We plan to go back this winter when it's decorated for Christmas.

We stayed at the Grand Californian, it was very nice. Our room was right above the entrance to DCA, so location was perfect. We have two young ones, so it made getting back for naps nice.

For our next trip, we want to try the Disneyland Hotel.

I'll throw my burger suggestion into the ring, Smashburger! It's a relatively new chain that started in Colorado, but it's growing quite a bit. They have locations in CA and TX.

Oh the pictures I've seen of DL at Christmastime are incredible.

The Grand Californian is the goal. The location is amazing all in itself. I've been reading up on the resort and better/worse room locations. This last trip I had a few room requests because I needed the boys to have seperate beds. BUT, if it's just Tracey & me next time I'm thinking I'll leave all room requests off to better my chances of a bump-up. Even if we do get a not-so-perfect location, that's okay, too. But juuuust in case....

We really enjoyed the DLH! It's really nice. And HELLO! DLH is where Trader Sam's is located. That's all I need to say. Worth it.

I need to look up Smashburger locations! We're in the Houston area! Smashburger just sounds like a big ol' nasty mess o'burger. I'm IN!

Mmmm Cane's sauce...I'm from B.R. Cane's is good stuff, but don't look up the nutritional facts :facepalm:

Loving the report, can't wait to see more!

I'm always on the search for a good burger and I have found my favorite. We have a local place in Baton Rouge (and Lafayette) called Burgersmith. IT IS SO GOOD!!!! I get the filet burger and you can choose any toppings you want. The fries are also amazing, covered in Tony's seasoning!

We lived in the New Orleans area for like 10 years. Love love love Raising Canes. I don't even want to see the nutritional values of anything they serve. I know it'll be terrible. Ignorance will remain bliss here, by God!

Oh! Where is the Burgersmith in BR?? We pass thru going from Houston to Alabama or Florida often. We got where we stopped at the VooDoo BBQ near the Bass Pro out near Millerville(?) Rd. because it's not too far off the interstate. Mostly it depends on traffic. We all try to time our departure here to hit BR at juuuust the right time so we don't get caught in the I-10/I-12 parking lots. Grrrrr!!!

Psh, yeah! Coat fries in Tony's. That's always an equation for slap me I'm in heaven. LOL!

Yay!! A sweetpee trip report. I just love to read your reports you have a way with words. I get lost in your writing!! Now I need to go back and start your report!!

Hey girl! So good to "see" you!!! Anymore cruising coming up??? I love that you get lost in my writing. I get lost when I'm writing so it's all good. LOL!

Do u own an iPad or tablet of any kind? You can view slideshow and screencap the images...but I didn't tell u that...shhhhh ;)

Heck to the YEAH! Daddy-O got me a sweet iPad for Christmas. Took your advice and guess what??? Those Photopass pics are sitting right smack in my Photobucket in their proper chronological spot just waiting to be seen by ya'll. I don't feel bad doing it. I bought the photos and the rights to them. Either way, the files will be on my Mac and in my Photobucket so what does it matter how I got them? I paid for them.

Honestly, until you mentioned it - I do not think I ever realized there was no mayo lol.

How does this happen? Seriously??? LOLOLOL! I wish you could've seen me at the In-N-Out counter. Brian went to order his burger in his usual level of dress: cheese, mayo, & onions only. The guy says, "We don't have mayo." We stood there. Jaws dropped. Dumbfounded. How does that even happen???? We didn't know what to say. LOL!

I love a good burger myself but burger places are hard to come by. I hate burger places that "specialize" in burgers then charge $15 for crap. The best burger place I have went to is in NYC called The Burger Company - their burgers, fries, onion rings are amazing. I also like the fact they give you the burger and there is an open toppings bar, unlimited pop.

I love toppings bars, too. 'Specially if I think ahead and bring a little shaker of Zatarains seasoning. A plate of freshly sliced tomatoes sprinkled with Zatarains is sooooo yummy!

Man, I came in all YAYAYAY SWEETPEE REPORT.

And then there was no Photopass CD.

Not that your toes in the Pacific wasn't adorable and epic, it was. But I want DISNEY NOW.

Coming up now that I obtained my pics sans the CD. LOL!

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
Sunday, April 27, 2014 - Seeing what Uncle Walt saw, walking where Uncle Walt walked. Discovering it all...

Jetlag is real. In spite of our busy day just know that this entire day we all felt slightly off. Like feel normal then take 2 steps left of that. That's how we felt this day. But who has time for that?! This is a busy day that we need to accomplish a lot of things! Let's get moving!

I was up at 5:00 a.m. to get ready for our early morning. The first line of notes for today ends with "Shoot me, please?!" I'm not a morning person by nature. We were all dressed and out the door at 6:30. Can I just say that watching the sunrise over the mountains was incredible?! That's why we didn't leave until 6:30. We were watching God & Mother Nature's grand production. Breathtaking!

Crossing into DtD.

A very serene DtD before the busy day began.

Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen. We didn't eat here but the theming was done up right, y'all.

And what's DtD without a World of Disney store???

We exchanged our vouchers for our deluxe annual passes. Why would we buy annual passes??? For those who don't know, DL is very different from WDW in almost every way. The longest ticket you can currently buy is a 5 day ticket. You can no longer add days to that. Well, we wanted to do parks for 6 days. To accomplish this we would've needed to purchase 5 + 1 day park hoppers. Well, buying the AP through Way.com we only paid about $10 more per pass than the parkhoppers would've been. We recouped that $40 very quickly with the dining and merchandise discounts you get. Nope, you don't have to buy anything else to get the discounts. You just get them. So, APs in hand, we headed into Disney California Adventure (DCA) for the early park hours that are for Disney's hotel guests ONLY. We arrived in the park probably around 7:15 or so.

This is like Tracey's dad's first car.

Walking in was just awe-inspiring. I didn't take too many pictures because I was seriously in awe of the moment and the beautiful surroundings. Looking at the Carthay Circle.

As a counterpart to DL park's "Partner's" statue, DCA has the "Storyteller's" statue. It's Walt as a young man with Mickey arriving in Hollywood as it would've been when he got there.

The Red Car Trolleys add sooooo much! I have a feeling Uncle Walt would've really loved them. He prob'ly would've commissioned a very special one to be designed and built just for his Lillian, too.

We proceeded directly to Carsland to check it out and hit up the ride everyone goes gaga over. Approaching Carsland.

My gracious! It's like we stepped into the Cars movie. Here's Filmore's right where it's supposed to be. Perfect in every way.

Then there's Sarge's Surplus.

The Cozy Cone Motel.

Instagram!!!

Dianarella

In-N-Out Burger is hit or miss. To California residents - there is no comparison. It kind of ironic - NYC has this place called Shake Shack (which is there answer to In-N-Out). I have had both many many times. Shake Shack is ridiculously priced and disgusting. I, however, LOVE In-N-Out Burger. I prefer it over McDonalds when I am in Vegas or California. But it is a taste that takes time to get used to. I am sorry you did not enjoy it.

It's amazing how people love different things (and food) I've never had a bad burger at Shake Shack, or fries or shakes. I love that they even cook the burgers to order -so I can get a medium rare burger if I like.
After Shake Shack -Five Guys makes good burgers too. I've never tried In-N-Out...and on our trip to Ca next month, I think we'll skip it.

You took some great pics. Can't wait to read more.

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
We rounded the corner just past Ramone's and here it is. The legendary Radiator Springs Racers. The standby says 30 minutes but there's no way we waited that long. I'd say more like 10 minutes. That's what I wrote down anyway.

The mountain range is so incredible. All the details are so perfect. It sounds so not-descriptive-enough but I swear to you it feels like you are really IN the movie.

Stanley always has gas. Open 8 days a week. Yep.

Cacti! Oh come on! I couldn't NOT do it.

Stanley's Oasis. The story within the queue is so eloquently told. This is a line you WANT to stand in.

Are we ready, Brian??? First ride!

We ended up going to Luigi's for a tire change to prep for our race. Starting line. Ladeeeez and Gentlecars! Start your engines!!!

I have no idea if we won or lost. Who cares. There's Lightning McQueen and Mater!

I hadn't yet obtained our Photopass+ card & lanyard so the first ride we took a picture of our picture. We all look like we're having a blast. Except Brian who found our inaugural race a good time for a nap? LOL!

So, we walked off Radiator Springs Racers with our jaws dropped. I have never seen anything so perfectly done. In every way. I can't think of one thing that could make this attraction better. Well, other than all the other people on earth going away so I can have it all to myself. To all my Disney-fried fellow fans out there, if you have to fly in, stand in line for 3 hours, do only THIS attraction, then fly back home....if that's the only way....you NEED to do this. You NEED to see this. THIS is the Disney I know and love. THIS is where the bar is.

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
It's amazing how people love different things (and food) I've never had a bad burger at Shake Shack, or fries or shakes. I love that they even cook the burgers to order -so I can get a medium rare burger if I like.
After Shake Shack -Five Guys makes good burgers too. I've never tried In-N-Out...and on our trip to Ca next month, I think we'll skip it.

Oh really???? The only thing that makes burgers better is if I can get them pink inside! Oh YES!

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
So we finished up Racers and the guys were hungry. I was still being good & drinking my morning shakes. We popped into an empty Flo's V8 Cafe for the guys to top their tanks. This is the fixture in the entry area.

In the entry area to the left. Theme knows no bounds here, people.

Full-on diner style.

Of course you should SEE some of the daily offerings.

Here's the guys grub. They did say the biscuits were like hockey pucks. I think they did some drumming on them, actually. Worth noting here for the WDW peeps: this is a counter service eatery. Counter service. Yet, the food is served on real dishes. The flatware is real flatware. Paper cups, yes, but plates and silverware. When you're done you leave your stuff and someone comes to bus the table. :jawdrop: Counter service. :)

Here's where you get your silverware and all the other necessities.

The view from inside Flo's.

Of course Doc Hudson's plethora of Piston Cups are on display.

I had to get a picture of the carhops signage. When we had Brian we had no health insurance and paid cash for his birth. Unexpected medical bills (like the pediatrician who checked the baby after his birth, anesthesiologist, etc.) started coming in and we had no extra money or income to pay them. I couldn't afford childcare for a toddler and a newborn. Our neighbors (& good friends) owned the local Sonic Drive-In restaurant. Three weeks after having Brian I started carhopping in the evenings after Tracey got home to pay the medical bills. It took a few months to do but we got it done. Carhopping has it's fun moments. Yes, I even roller skated! So, carhops! Give 'em some love!

Okay. Now, the ladies room signage was just too freakin' cute. Sally is on the ladies room entrance and Lightning is on the mens room entrance.

We emerged from our Flo's breakfast in time to see the regular park opening processional to the Racers. It's really something to see. For those not in the know, do as I say and don't ask too many questions: You want to be on the right side of this processional. Stay. Right. M'kay??? You can't really see it but the "rope" being carried by the CMs leading the way to corral the herd isn't a rope. It's a gas pump hose!

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
It's now just after 8:00 a.m. which means both parks are now open to the public. Time to hop on over to DL park to start checking off our to-dos.

We stopped in the photo shop in DCA to get our Photopass+ card & lanyard. ((Tip! You can prepay your Photopass+ CD w/all images no less than 2 weeks prior to travel for only $69.95!))

Wanna see something really cool?! I stepped outside the exit gate from DCA and snapped this picture. Know what that is over there? It's DL's turnstiles! It's THAT short. It's THAT easy. It's THAT awesome!!!!!

When we entered the park I didn't give myself any time to get all emotional. Not at all like the dream I'd had where I stepped out from under the tunnel and fell to the ground completely overwrought with emotion. LOL! I *might* have bit back a tear or two. This is our first look down Main Street.

Now, before you WDW fans start yeah-yeah'ing about that big empty spot in the sky where you think there should be a princess's castle let's have a little chat. Shall we? WDW has a beautiful, grand castle. And when you first see it in the distance your eye is drawn to it like a fly to a bug light. It's a crazy awesome moment. I agree. But, isn't it a really wonderful thing that not all these parks are identical? That's what makes each special. It gives them their identities. This moment at Disneyland you don't see a giant castle. You see a beautiful little town from a bygone era. You see storefronts that are so individual and ornate without being ostentatious. You're drawn in to see the town bit by little bit. When you get to the end you find a lovely princess castle complete with a real drawbridge. If you think of it in terms of what Main Street is supposed to be, Disneyland's original version is done more correctly because when you're on the street you're in Marceline, the town Uncle Walt grew up in. I promise you Marceline did NOT have a great big castle looming at the end of town. Nope. So there's more of a separation if you will. Main Street is Main Street. The castle is the next thing, the gateway to Fantasyland. As it should be. Additionally, if Sleeping Beauty castle was as big as Cinderella's castle, then Matterhorn Mountain's vistas wouldn't look very majestic at all. It wouldn't be much of a mountain. It'd be more like a mole hill. Right? So let's all agree that each of these parks have their own story to tell even if some of the names are the same. K? K! Let's go!

We veered left at the hub into Adventureland.

I don't even want to discuss the fact that we would not be seeing this highly touted west coast morsel during our trip. It was down for refurb. This is as much as we saw. But i don't want to talk about that. :in pain:

Oh hey! A treehouse!

In case you couldn't tell, we had a specific destination to get to. You see, PotC was scheduled to go down for refurb tomorrow so this was our only day to ride it. I've seen the youtube videos. There's a lot more to see here than there is in Florida. I wasn't going to miss this.

I purposely kept my camera off for this ride. If anyone wants to see it, go look on youtube. My notes say that I thought it was very well done. Longer than WDW's and very cool. Brian noted that if they'd just left Jack Sparrow out it'd be the perfect ride. LOL!

We grabbed FPs (the old-school way with our passes, kiosks, and paper FPs) before doubling back to the Haunted Mansion. On the way back I spotted this petrified tree. Seemed so random a thing to plop down here but the way it was displayed made it feel like it had a significance. So I took a picture of it even though I had no idea why. I didn't read the placard or anything.

Disneyland's Haunted Mansion is located in New Orleans Square so it feels like one of the grand mansions on St. Charles Avenue. Spot. On. Trust me, I know. ;)

Just look at the gorgeous magnolia tree here! As different as it was on the outside there were still things that were familiar. Like the ghost horse drawn hearse.

Having lived in and loved so much of the New Orleans area we were all particularly charmed by this Haunted Mansion. We really did love it.

I don't even know what prompted us to do it but after the HM we found and followed the "hidden" walkway past the Fowler's Inn and the sailing ship Columbia.

Here's the ship!

We took the funniest, most awfullest picture right here but I don't think I should post it. It's not really family-friendly. It's hilarious, though!!! Ugh! I WISH I could post it! LOL!

We made a potty stop at the Hungry Bear area. While Brian was still in the bathroom I caught up my notes. Tracey & Chandler stood at the water's edge having a wildlife experience watching some ducks right by the walkway doing Mommy & Daddy duck things after they've been married a few years, secure jobs, a house, and money in the bank. :cautious: They were laughing and trying to call me over, "Come here! You gotta see this!!!" But I'd already heard them carrying on over there and I knew what was going on. I'm not deaf. I could hear the splashing. :rolleyes: Next thing I know, I look back and there's an older couple stopped to see what the fuss is about. The wife just rolled her eyes. The husband was trying not to laugh. I swear, I can't take these boys anywhere! :facepalm::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

disney4life2008

IDK I went to the Shake Shack in a park - cant remember which one but it was close to my job as well as the one in times square. It was not terrible (I over exagerrated) but its not a place that I have to go back to.

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
Next we hopped on the train from Frontierland to Tomorrowland.

We weren't sure what to do from here. We were just wandering and doing stuff that we thought we should. Matterhorn was looming so we hopped in line for that. It was about a 10-15 minute wait.

Instagram!!!

I'm glad we did the Matterhorn one time and it was fun but this is a ride for young or particularly tough people. It's so rough! We rode the right side. We were pounded but good by this thing. So, yeah, we all got off laughing, Tracey and I with a firm "That's a one-n-done!"

We needed a break and had some time to kill before our BTMRR FP return time so we strolled out to the hub to choose the next direction. Little did we know our direction was right there in the hub! The churro carts are plentiful in the west coast parks. The smells that waft into the air from them beckon to the soul. Come to meeeeeee..... We tried churros in WDW many years back and they were okay. They were like a Taco Bell cinammon twist. Crunchy all the way thru. In California they're different. They serve them hot & fresh. The lady rolls them in cinammon sugar right in front of you when you order them. The inside is soft and chewy while the outside has just the right amount of crunch. They're heavenly. So, I took a toes picture for @Disneyfalcon 's travelin' toes blog that I thought captured a true Disneyland moment. Kelly's toes had churros in Disneyland!

After our delicious churro experience we walked right over and hit up a Photopass photog for our first family shots for the trip. We're first timers, people! We can't NOT do this!

Tracey asked for a few shots with just the boys & me for him to have.

Our photographer asked a couple of us to try out a newer magic shot they had. I love Pascal!

It was time for our BTMRR Fastpasses so off we went towards Frontierland.

We jumped in the Fastpass line and boarded our runaway mine train within 5 minutes or so. In the line:

BTMRR in Disneyland just emerged from a very long then even longer extended refurbishment. It's my understanding the tracks were all replaced in addition to re-beautifying AND adding some of the best effects I've seen since....well.....this morning on RSRs! LOL! <--I love that I can say that! :D If you don't mind spoilers, go look at a ride-thru on youtube. The blast scene at the third lift will blow your mind. Oh! And I did the goat trick, @raven24 ! That sooooo works!!!!

After our brush with death on the mine train we decided we prob'ly should get back to the hotel so we can return the rental car before we incur additional charges. We went back over towards Tomorrowland, hopped on the monorail, and took a short ride to the DtD station that's near the DLH end of DtD. So awesome. I took the monorail from INSIDE the park to just a 2 minute walk outside my hotel. :inlove: In this picture we just left the monorail station and the big hat is the DLH.

The boys went up to our room to lay down. Tracey & I retrieved the Expedition from valet. While we were waiting for the car another guest stepped off the curb wrong right in front of us onto his ankle with his foot like folded over. It looked terrible. He caught himself before he went all the way down and recovered but by the time he had crossed the driveway area we could see him seriously limping. I'd be surprised if he didn't break it. At the very least I'd say that was a bad sprain. Yikes! :eek:

We weren't quite sure where to park the rental for the return. We found a spot where we thought it should be and parked. Walking back (it was close) to the Alamo office we spotted this chick with the silver metallic drawers and fuzzy Ugg boots. It was quite the ensemble so Tracey insisted I take a picture. She has beautiful hair, tho. Right???

We dropped the rental then walked over to the hotel. It's right around the corner from the Alamo office. It's actually closer than the monorail station. In the Fantasy tower this is adjacent to the elevator bank. It's a whole wall of pictures of Walt with various celebs in the parks, lots of celebs, dignitaries, etc. etc. all at Disneyland. We loved this amazing collection of pictoral Disney history!

Last edited:

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
it's funny how just the simple things like actual plates can make such a difference right?

The paper plates and plastic forks make me despise the prices at WDW prices even more

You are so right. And it makes me feel bad for breaking out the plastic whenever we have lots of folks over. I'm so going to buy the 16 settings from Crate & Barrell and bucking-up from now on. It's the littlest things that make you feel so much more welcome and at home.

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
The goal was to catch an hour nap before we were due back in the parks but that didn't work out so much. Tracey and I got more like 15 - 20 minutes. :eek: Be forwarned. I'm a napper. I love to sleep. I NEED to sleep. K?

So we headed back with less than ideal cat naps had. These topiaries are right outside the back doors of the Fantasy tower.

We headed back into DCA to meet some new-to-us friends at 1:00 in front of the Carthay Circle restaurant. But we weren't going to Carthay Circle today. No, we were being escorted into 1901, a private lounge for Club 33 members who upgrade their membership to include this offering. Our new friends very graciously reached out to me after I participated in a random discussion about the one of the club offerings fairly recently. It was explained to me that part of the value these amazing members gleen from their membership is the opportunity to share it. Club 33 proper in Disneyland is currently closed for it's complete transformation and expansion. The offering we'd discussed was the special train car that Walt had commissioned for his Lillian to have when she was at the park, the Lily Belle. Until recently the Lily Belle was available to anyone who went to City Hall to inquire about it and get on a list. Very limited. Well, there had been problems with people vandalizing and taking things from inside the train car. Also, disgruntled guests raising a stink when they'd see the train car, see people escorted onboard, and angry they couldn't ride there, too. So it was withdrawn and is now an offering for Club 33 members and their guests to sign up for. The Lily Belle had to have some repair work recently due to the beating she'd been receiving so it wasn't running today. Otherwise, our new friends would've taken us on it.

I know it sounds kinda bad and I even brought this up with new friends because I'm not the kind of person that solicits for extras. I've seen people post on other forums outright asking for favors from any available Club member. It comes off tacky and I don't want to be that person. Did I want to meet these new friends? You betcha! Was it because they could escort us into places most park guests cannot access? No. That's the truth. I would've sat outside on a bench with a churro and had a perfectly fabulous time connecting with other humans that are THAT kind to complete strangers. They are Disney-fried fans not unlike me and my family. I look at our new friends as a shining example of what people should aspire to be. Do you have something wonderful and special that you could share with a total stranger? Would you? Yeah. Club 33 membership is, first of all, a long process to have the opportunity to join. Second, it's very expensive to join. Third, it costs a good deal of money to pay the annual membership dues. Fourth, members still have to pay for what they order in the club restaurant & lounge(s). Fifth, there's an additional cost to have the 1901 lounge add-on. Wrap your brain around all that. Now, imagine if a lot of the value you find in spending that kind of money (regardless of your socio-economic situation because these are not overtly wealthy people, not all members are) is the joy and excitement you get in sharing it with someone you don't know. I'll quit yammering. Faith in humanity restored if only briefly. Beyond the opportunity to see a place so exclusive, the real gift is in knowing other human beings that are this good in their souls. That's the gift.

So, 1901 Lounge! The "secret" (it's not!) door is right next to the entry door for Carthay Circle restaurant. We walked in from a busy, bustling street to a quiet, elegant yet toned-down and calm lounge area. We looked around a bit without disturging the other family that was enjoying their respite. I didn't take pictures of that side of the lounge. Can't be the tacky tourist. Children are welcome here. They even have a cabinet full of games for kiddos to sit on the floor and unwind as they play. The missus had me try her favorite comfy chair. Even with the style being so retro cool and the surface leather, that was such a comfy, soft chair! I could nap here! But, you know, I have to at least pretend to have some amount of couthe. Even if I don't. I can pretend pretty well. :cool:

This is the bar area. Note the chairs. There's designated chairs for Roy, Edna, Walt, & Lillian. As it should be. The bartender was making ice spheres. They're perfect balls of ice, no air bubbles inside, that are served in a few of the signature martinis.

On the wall to the right of Lillian's chair are these great charicatures of the Nine Old Men.

Everyone else had ice water or the like but, of course, lush-y me had to try at least one cocktail. Come on! If I'm never in 1901 again at least I can say from now until I'm dead "I had drink in 1901!" This is the "Street Car".

We had the best time visiting with our new friends. I surely hated to run off and leave. I wish we hadn't scheduled what was next on the agenda but I did and I'd lose a pretty penny if we didn't show so we said our goodbyes and ran (literally) across the esplanade into DL. What's the hurry? Well, THIS:

Instagram!

Oh yeah. We're going to Walk in Walt's Footsteps today and see his influence on his park. Walt's park. I still cannot believe I was finally there, where Walt had been.

How's everybody holding up? Fellas? Y'all wired and ready to go???

As we got started on the tour, walking through the crowds of day guests, Chandler said he was feeling kinda secret service cool. So he had me take a picture of him doing his Secret Walk in Walt's Footsteps Service thing.

We could hear our guide through our earpiece which was a good thing. Remember, this is a locals park. It's 2:30 in the afternoon on a Sunday. The locals have come out to play. There were a LOT of people now. See?

I won't go thru the whole tour spiel with you, just the stuff that stands out. We're now by the castle.

And walking through the castle.

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
In my best Stacey Aswad impersonation, I'm gonna ride that puppy! (It's Mr. Toad's Wild Ride. And not right now.)

But close! We were brought in 2 by 2 into the exit for Peter Pan. No standing in the 45 minute standby line.

Oh my! Peter Pan in DL is so much better. Like by a long shot better. It seemed darker to me (all the DL dark rides seemed darker) but the vignettes were all lit perfectly via the luminescent paints and perfect lighting. You didn't miss anything. The use of the fiber optic lights suspended throughout the night sky and the ride vehicles floating amoung them, it really does make you feel like you're flying through the cosmos in a dream land. It's amazing. Admittedly, it was shorter, I think. But WORTH IT! Love!

All this time we'd been hearing stories about Walt, about the park, why things were placed how they were, why details were done the way they were. Time and time again there was mention of Walt's efforts to do things for Lillian. He created ways for her to enjoy his park that catered to her comfort and ease. Like having a themed electric car made just for her when she was there that had a nice canopy with pretty fringe on it to shade her beneath something befitting her loveliness in Walt's eyes. We heard tales of how he doted on his family and those he loved. This brings us to the petrified tree from earlier!

Lemme post this lovely picture to set the tone...

The story we were told was that Walt wanted to give Lillian a gift that symobolized and enbodied the strength and solid foundation of his love for her. Walt was never one to be ordinary. He could always be counted on to be grandiose in his way. So he gave Lillian the petrified tree. All you ladies out there think of the most odd, random, pretty much useless thing that your man has ever given you. Sweet as could be. The thought and intent can be spot on. But can you picture your man giving you a behemoth petrified tree? I know the first thing out of my mouth would likely be, "What am I supposed to do with this?" Well, Lillian did the best wife thing she could and had it displayed right here in Walt's park. Isn't that the most lovely story??? I don't even care if it's not true. I love it. So, earlier today as I snapped my petrified tree picture because it had to mean something...well...it did. It meant a man adored his wife endlessly and there's nothing he wouldn't do to make sure she knew. Isn't that just the most romantical thing ever????

Tracey, do NOT buy me a petrified tree. I love you, too. No tree. :inlove:

Walking to our next destination I snapped this picture. We were not in Tomorrowland. Yes, I do see why the MK has the utilidors now.

We made our way to Walt's Enchanted Tiki Room. Love this show. And it's packed in California. They love it out there. It's like I've found my people! :joyfull: The CM doing the pre-show spiel did the whole thing in a fantastic tiki God voice. It was so funny. "Please be sure to carry all the paper and plastic objects you carried into the theater outside and place it in the garbage receptacle where it will be magically transported to the land of fill." Magically transported to the land of fill. Land fill! Get it?!?! :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

Californian Elitist

Kudos on the goat trick! I realized I forgot to mention it when you were on your trip, but I guess you remembered. Yay for that.:)

I laughed so hard at your RSR on-ride photo, mainly because of your son in the back! His face is priceless. And the conversation about the ducks with the elderly couple? That was funny, too. LOL.

Lucky you to have been able to visit Club 1901! I've always wondered what it looked like in there. Hopefully you get to see Club 33 when you go back.

Mouse_Trap

So many wonderful photos, I'm throughly enjoying seeing them all.
Loving the Cars Land ones especially as it was a few months from opening when I visited.

A question I have, did you find the Hotel worth the extra expense?
I was looking at prices for a return trip a few days ago and it seems the Disneyland and Grand Californian are about 3-4 times the price of the Doubletree Guest Suites just down the road. I stayed there before and was very impressed by it - don't get me wrong, it's not Disney but there is so much else the same money can be spend on....

Do u own an iPad or tablet of any kind? You can view slideshow and screencap the images...but I didn't tell u that...shhhhh ;)

You know you can take screenshots on practically any device? It doesn't need to be an ipad or tablet.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom