Trip Report Go west they said. The weather is so perfect you'll never want to leave they said.

Greetings to all my Disney-fied, Pixie Dust-fried friends! Yep, it's that time again...moving on to the next adventure. This time we finally went west for our glorious (or not-so-glorious?) return to Disney parks.

The particulars:

Who? Me, Tracey (DH, @Sweetpee's Sugar Daddy), Chandler (DS18, @casutton96), & Brian (DS16)

What? Disneyland Resort family vacation

Where? Disneyland Hotel / Disneyland / California

When? April 26, 2104 - May 3, 2014

I'm not feeling extra wordy at the moment (rare, I know) so let's get started....

Californian Elitist

I really think the burgers we had MUST have been from a bad location on an off day. We thought they had so little flavor. At all. It was weird.

Five Guys is expensive. Chandler doesn't like the fries so when we go he gets 2 double burgers. How's THAT for expensive??? :jawdrop: My debit card sheds tears when I take him. LOL!

If I stay there again you're welcome to come check it out. It's really neat. Nothing earth shattering but where else do you find something like that???

Haha, it's very possible you just didn't like them. That's okay. If you ever want to try it again, try an animal-style burger.

I almost didn't give the man my debit card when I went to Five Guys lol. I'm pretty sure my hand was shaking when I have the cashier my card. They charge restaurant prices, and even then, they're less expensive than Five Guys!

Sign me up for the DLH. My mom and I really want to stay at the Grand Californian, but it's seriously expensive. If I stayed there, I wouldn't leave the room. I'd spend every minute there and get my money's worth haha.

Now if I was filthy rich, I'd stay in one of the signature suites at the DLH.

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
I'm enjoying your report, and hope you include more very soon! As for the burger issue....I'm a Southern Californian. Love In-and-Out Burgers, don't care that much for their fries though my daughter loves them. Five Guys? No thanks. Overpriced!

I had similar feelings about the Atlantic Ocean on our trip to the East Coast, two years ago. We made sure we got to the Pacific Ocean before our trip (it's 30 miles from us), and then after we did WDW in Orlando, we headed for Cocoa Beach and Kennedy Space Center. I *had* to see the beach, though I honestly did not get to stick my toes in the Atlantic for another 1000+ miles up the coast in Maine. But it was exciting!

Sometime, you should plan to DRIVE from Houston to LA. It's roughly three pretty long days -- Houston to Fort Stockton is one day, Fort Stockton to the western edge of Phoenix is another day, and Phoenix to Anaheim is a third day. You'd get to see desert, mountains, and more along the way.

Donna

As sooooon as that Photopass CD gets here I can get the first parks day off and running. Well, I suppose I *could* do the morning but right around noon the first day I have pics I need from the CD. It shipped out on Thursday and the transit time is 3-5 days. Wouldn't it be awesome if it came tomorrow??? I WISH!

Cocoa Beach was my stompin' ground as a teenager. I grew up in Central Florida and my best friend's dad had a sailboat he kept in a marina in Titsuville. We used to get her dad to drop us at the beach on his way to the boat and pick us up in the afternoon. ;) It IS exciting to see something so much bigger than you and touch it. Makes it real. At least to me it does.

Tracey wants to drive out to California and back really bad. We have friends who do the drive every summer. They have family in Phoenix, though. I can vouch for that luxury. I have a ton of family in Pensacola, Florida which makes a great stopover when driving from Houston to Orlando. The last few years Tracey's been working contract so any time off he didn't get paid for. Covering his pay & household expenses during that week with no pay has always been an added line item to the travel budget. Taking off more than a week or so is hard to do when there's no income during that time. Any longer is not really feasible, not without totally killing savings. 3 days driving in either direction eats up almost a week. If we wanted to do anything in California, that made it too long. BUT, around the time of this trip Tracey signed on direct with a super huge global engineering firm so paid days off exist for us now. WooHOO! This year we're still doing littler trips but next spring....loooong trip is on the books! Probably in the next 2-3 years we'll likely give driving west a try. There's a lot we want to see. ;)

Haha, it's very possible you just didn't like them. That's okay. If you ever want to try it again, try an animal-style burger.

I almost didn't give the man my debit card when I went to Five Guys lol. I'm pretty sure my hand was shaking when I have the cashier my card. They charge restaurant prices, and even then, they're less expensive than Five Guys!

Sign me up for the DLH. My mom and I really want to stay at the Grand Californian, but it's seriously expensive. If I stayed there, I wouldn't leave the room. I'd spend every minute there and get my money's worth haha.

Now if I was filthy rich, I'd stay in one of the signature suites at the DLH.

Oh! They do the burgers animal style, too? Hmmm...I might could do that. With extra cheese.

You're right. I just *thought* the AP discount rate at DLH hurt my feelings. The Grand is mind-boggling to me. But I want to do it. If I can reasonably put together the $$ I hope to try it in the fall. If not, I'm fully prepared to stay at one of the others. Or even offsite if I have to. The early hour at DCA was so crazy awesome. You'll see. It was my favorite time, really.

I'm so with you on the signature suites at DLH! Mickey's Penthouse would be MINE!

stevehousse

After reading about your planning and ride rehab schedule threads, I'm excited I get to finally read about your report!

I am taking my family to DL next year and this will be their first time on the West Coast! I went twice when I was younger but it's been like 22 years since I have been! I cannot wait!

fractal

How exciting! Kelly and crew on the left coast with her new camera! Pics look great!

Sterg is a big fan of In and Out burger - so much so that we missed going to Muir Woods near San Fran because he demanded to go to In and Out with his Water Polo team. Their burgers are OK, but I'll take a
Philly cheesesteak from Gino's or Pat's any time over In & Out.

Love the shots on the beach and how you took the time to do "non" Disney stuff. California is an amazingly beautiful State - as you said; mountains on one side, palm trees in the middle and beach on the other side.

Looking forward to the rest!

PS - funny title! :D

Last edited:

PolynesianPrincess

Kelly! I've been waiting anxiously for this report!! I'm excited to read about your adventures, even though I was there for some of them!! :)

I can't vouch for whether or not In-N-Out is any good since I have never been to one, but Five Guys is pretty good! We have 2 here in southern Maine. We also have a place called Elevation Burger which is a chain but I'm not sure how big and I LOVE their burgers! The only downfall is they're SUPER greasy! I don't get loads of stuff on my burger: ketchup, mustard, cheese and pickles. I DESPISE mayo! lol But I am a huge fan of dipping my fries in Ranch dressing. YUM!! Elevation Burger is all organic beef. We also have a small burger chain that I think is only in New England called Wild Willy's and they have a Bison burger that is so delicious! Between those 2 and Five Guys, we've got enough burgers for everyone!! :)

Thanks again for bringing us the water! It definitely save us some cash bringing a bottle with us every morning!

I MIGHT have teared up a little reading about you tearing up when you stuck your toes in the ocean. I go to the beach here all the time in Maine. It's not a big deal for me to see the Pacific Ocean. However, I know I would've reacted the same way you did if I stuck my toes in the Pacific Ocean. It's half a world away from the Atlantic. To be able to say you've had your feet in oceans on both sides of the United States is pretty cool. Some people never get to experience either. So that's awesome!

Hopefully the CD comes today!! I'm (im)patintly waiting to read more!! Woooooooo!! :)

mrdrift

Great trip report, can't wait for the Disneyland and California Adventures part of the report. The beach report and pictures were just breath taking. I live in southern California and not an In-and-Out fan at all so I understand your thoughts on that topic.

Kristia

As always loving your trip report Kelly! Also loved following along and being jealous on Instagram! ;) I am hoping we get to DL in 2016 to run the half marathon. I loved your beach trip too! Dan and I will definitely be doing that when we go to CA. We love the beach here in NJ but would love to see the Pacific!

Five Guys fan here too! It is overpriced but for a treat now and again it is awesome! Love, love, love their fries! We also love Red Robin. My favorite is the patty melt on rye with the fried onions. We used to have the chain, Fuddruckers in our area but it sadly closed. I am not sure if the chain went out of business or if just the location closed. They were expensive but had the best burgers. OK, I am now starving! Can't wait to read the rest!

LoveDisneyGirl

Hi! Loving your trip report so far, as always! I also follow you on Instagram (my instagram name is: thevioletseeker) and loved seeing some of your pictures while you were there! Looks like you had a great time, despite those Santa Ana winds! I live up in Northern California, so we don't usually have hot winds like that. But I've been down in SoCal when they've been blowing and I know how miserable they can be! Glad you survived and still enjoyed yourselves!

As for In-N-Out, I love and hate it. There have been times when it's the best burger and fries (animal style on both, always) ever. And then there are times when it's just not so good and I know I could have gotten a better burger somewhere else. As for the fries, I agree that they are not the greatest. But I think that's largely in part because they only fry them once, unlike, say, McDonalds, which does a double fry and makes them crispier. I think, according to the 'secret menu', you can ask for them 'well done' and they'll fry them up longer to make them crispier. I'm with you on the mayo though. I'm definitely a mayo on a burger girl! I'm usually satisfied enough to make my In-N-Out burger animal style and their Thousand Island dressing is enough for me!

I hope you do get to someday make the drive out west and explore more of California! There's nothing I love more than having the time to drive the coast from NorCal to SoCal. So beautiful to watch the coastline (and weather) change from the warmer, sandier beaches down south to the more cooler, rugged and rocky coast up north. And there's just so much to see in between! San Diego, Yosemite, Tahoe, Monterey, San Francisco (home to the Walt Disney Family Musuem...see Disney is everywhere!) and so much more! I could go on and on and on...my love for this state knows no bounds! But I'll save you from my 'California love' soapbox and just say that I hope you'll return and continue to explore! Or as Ellie would say, "Adventure is out there!"

Looking forward to the rest of your report!

Adrienne

meganw1985

I'm so glad you are doing this TR! I'm going to Walt's park in just a few short weeks and have no idea what to expect! Cannot WAIT for the rest!!!!!

JillC LI

Very nice so far Sweetpee. Can't wait to leave for CA myself in 2 weeks!

I've been to Five Guys just once, and I also felt jipped. I understand the taste they were going for, the homemade taste. California is burgerville, like New York is well known for its pizza. I wasn't very impressed with Five Guys. The burger was good in the beginning, but it lost its taste half way through, it was weird. The meal was way too expensive. I know Five Guys is an East Coast establishment, and it has made its way West. They haven't been able to de-throne In-N-Out as our favorite.
Fatburger is also a well-known West Coast burger chain. They're better than Five Guys as well, IMO.

I can't drive for 10 minute on Long Island without seeing another Five Guys. I like them well enough. I like Shake Shack better though.

Axoman

Looking forward to the rest of your report.

I went to DL for the first time last September and loved it! We plan to go back this winter when it's decorated for Christmas.

We stayed at the Grand Californian, it was very nice. Our room was right above the entrance to DCA, so location was perfect. We have two young ones, so it made getting back for naps nice.

For our next trip, we want to try the Disneyland Hotel.

I'll throw my burger suggestion into the ring, Smashburger! It's a relatively new chain that started in Colorado, but it's growing quite a bit. They have locations in CA and TX.

joshsprincess921

((shrug)) I know just as many people who eat fries this way as I do people who don't. It's not super uncommon. There's a chicken fingers place, Raising Cane's, that started in Baton Rouge, Louisiana that has a mayo+ketchup+black pepper dipping sauce that they serve. I think you might can even buy the sauce by the bottle. Seriously mind-numbing good chicken fingers. So so good.

Mmmm Cane's sauce...I'm from B.R. Cane's is good stuff, but don't look up the nutritional facts :facepalm:

joshsprincess921

Loving the report, can't wait to see more!

I'm always on the search for a good burger and I have found my favorite. We have a local place in Baton Rouge (and Lafayette) called Burgersmith. IT IS SO GOOD!!!! I get the filet burger and you can choose any toppings you want. The fries are also amazing, covered in Tony's seasoning!

Bam Bam

Yay!! A sweetpee trip report. I just love to read your reports you have a way with words. I get lost in your writing!! Now I need to go back and start your report!!

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
Ugh! Checked the mail and no PhotoCD today. Dernnit! I may go ahead and move forward with the first morning/first look. I can do right up to about noon then I'll have to stop. Or, maybe I'll go look how much to download those pics. Hmmmm.... My impatience is so bad.

**edit**
At $14.95/download x the 3 I need for the first parks day...um...not a chance. That's like a pair of cute sandals I have my eye on at DSW. ;)

Last edited:

disney4life2008

Interesting. Okay. I think I've decided I should try In-N-Out's burgers again and bring mayo with me. I just can't comprehend a burger with no mayo. That's like peanut and not butter. Cereal and no milk. Ham, no burger. LOL!

Honestly, until you mentioned it - I do not think I ever realized there was no mayo lol.

disney4life2008

Hi, Kelly!

Yeah, Bob Evans is a family type restaurant that originated in Ohio. Think Cracker Barrel type menu. And I consider myself a cheeseburger connoisseur - American cheese, pickles and ketchup!

The Grand hotel looks awesome, I plan on going big on my trip to DL - it may be my only chance to go there! But it will depend on what that whole trip is going to cost. Hawaii, Japan to California - I'm saving every penny I can get my hands on!

I love a good burger myself but burger places are hard to come by. I hate burger places that "specialize" in burgers then charge $15 for crap. The best burger place I have went to is in NYC called The Burger Company - their burgers, fries, onion rings are amazing. I also like the fact they give you the burger and there is an open toppings bar, unlimited pop.

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
After reading about your planning and ride rehab schedule threads, I'm excited I get to finally read about your report!

I am taking my family to DL next year and this will be their first time on the West Coast! I went twice when I was younger but it's been like 22 years since I have been! I cannot wait!

Well thanks for sticking with me thru the thick & thin. Much like the trip itself, it was a bit of a rollercoaster ride planning.

I hope your family enjoys the west coast as much as we did. It really is an amazing place & Disneyland ices the cake, too. ;)

How exciting! Kelly and crew on the left coast with her new camera! Pics look great!

Sterg is a big fan of In and Out burger - so much so that we missed going to Muir Woods near San Fran because he demanded to go to In and Out with his Water Polo team. Their burgers are OK, but I'll take a
Philly cheesesteak from Gino's or Pat's any time over In & Out.

Love the shots on the beach and how you took the time to do "non" Disney stuff. California is an amazingly beautiful State - as you said; mountains on one side, palm trees in the middle and beach on the other side.

Looking forward to the rest!

PS - funny title! :D

Hi, Chris!

I do love my camera. I have a serious problem with the lens cap, tho. I need a tether for it. I lose that thing all the time. I need to buy replacements in bulk. The new one lasted all of 30 minutes on our first parks day. 30 minutes. Not even a stinkin' hour. I think something is wrong with me.

Look, next time Sterg can go eat funky burgers and I'll go to Muir Woods with you. LOL!

I think I'm about to get started. Soon.

I know, right??? I had to incorporate the weather we had with the title somehow. Whenever big hurricanes happen there's always a tent or 2 that shows up selling tshirts that have something witty that pretty much says "I survived Hurricane ____" Well, after Katrina we bought a couple of them that had a funny cartoon on them and said, "I got blown by Katrina". That was going to be my other title. "We got blown by Santa Ana." But, you know, I was trying to behave and all..... because at least in my family that would totally go down like a ton of bricks..... :facepalm::hilarious:

Kelly! I've been waiting anxiously for this report!! I'm excited to read about your adventures, even though I was there for some of them!! :)

I can't vouch for whether or not In-N-Out is any good since I have never been to one, but Five Guys is pretty good! We have 2 here in southern Maine. We also have a place called Elevation Burger which is a chain but I'm not sure how big and I LOVE their burgers! The only downfall is they're SUPER greasy! I don't get loads of stuff on my burger: ketchup, mustard, cheese and pickles. I DESPISE mayo! lol But I am a huge fan of dipping my fries in Ranch dressing. YUM!! Elevation Burger is all organic beef. We also have a small burger chain that I think is only in New England called Wild Willy's and they have a Bison burger that is so delicious! Between those 2 and Five Guys, we've got enough burgers for everyone!! :)

Thanks again for bringing us the water! It definitely save us some cash bringing a bottle with us every morning!

I MIGHT have teared up a little reading about you tearing up when you stuck your toes in the ocean. I go to the beach here all the time in Maine. It's not a big deal for me to see the Pacific Ocean. However, I know I would've reacted the same way you did if I stuck my toes in the Pacific Ocean. It's half a world away from the Atlantic. To be able to say you've had your feet in oceans on both sides of the United States is pretty cool. Some people never get to experience either. So that's awesome!

Hopefully the CD comes today!! I'm (im)patintly waiting to read more!! Woooooooo!! :)

Darolyn! I'd love to say I'm waiting anxiously for YOUR report but I think you said sometime maybe in November? I'm marking my calendar. :p

I <3 cheeseburgers. I would weigh a ton (literally) if I had so many yummy ones to choose from.

You're oh-so welcome on the water. What's a couple bucks and 5 minutes between friends? If the roles were switched I'm sure you'd do the same so it's all good. We gotta help each other out. Right?

You got it! Yes! In my younger years it probly wouldn't have been such a big deal to put my toes in the Pacific. It'd be cool but not like a huge moment to hold onto and consider. But, yeah, the Pacific is like the other end of the earth to me. It's like going somewhere you never really thought possible. I've been on both ends of the United States and touched both oceans we're sandwiched between. That MEANS something. I'm not going to die having only existed in this tiny little segment of the earth. I reached out.

The CD did not come today. However, I took the advise of another poster and rigged it. I don't feel bad. I paid for the photos and rights so it's okay. Lemme get caught up on my replies and *maybe* I'll have time to start Disneyland proper!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom