GM Out, Cars In?

wickedfan07

On these two statements:

If this comes true can someone design a grave for Epcot Center?

flynnibus said:
That you think just visiting an aquarium with characters is 'an improvement'? Yeah.. that one and run with it... don't worry, no one will catch you.. because no one is chasing you.

The original vision for the park has changed because in practice it didn't really work. (Otherwise, World of Motion, Horizons, Journey Into Imagination, kitchen Kabaret, The Living Seas, et. al. would have stood the test of time that other attractions older than them have (like It's a Small World, Pirates of the Caribbean or the Jungle Cruise).

The Living Seas was modified to include Findng Nemo because that dramatic, Sci-Fi vision of the seas became outdated and unpopular. As a theme park, Epcot's first goal (it even lists it in this order in the 1982 dedication) is to entertain. I am absolutely in favor of educating people in Epcot (future teacher here), but it must be done in an approachable and entertaining way. Not many people associate with the seas in a dramatic or science fiction-inspired way anymore I guess; what was good in 1986 isn't in anymore in the 2000s. Disney didn't close the pavilion's attractions for no reason; they closed one by one because the cost of running the attraction was no longer outweighed by its popularity. (The same thing happened to each of Future World's attractions one by one.) It doesn't make sense to run an attraction most people don't care to see. Disney updated the ride to make it resonate with today's audience and in doing so revitalized a stale part of Epcot. Today, The Seas with Nemo and Friends packs them in dail. Could the pavilion be a bit more informative? Sure it could, but the groundwork is there.

The funny thing about learning is that you learn more when you don't realize you're learning. It's why lecture-based classes are often tedious while active, discussion or project-based classes are often more interesting and informative. This is the path Epcot seems to be taking lately. (Nemo in The Seas, SSE touch screens, etc.) Yes, WDI needs to work a bit on their execution, but it all falls in line with Epcot's goal of "entertain, infom and inspire." The interests and expectations of the American and worldwide public are changing; there is no reason why Disney should attempt to entertain and inform people using tired methods that no longer apply to society. (Perhaps the rampant displeasure with recent Epcot is more a commentary on a common displeasure with society as a whole than a displeasure with Epcot alone?)

Keep in mind: Epcot is designed to be about the world we live in. How can anyone expect the park to exist in a vacuum and not ebb and flow with the trends and events affecting he world?

Animaniac93-98

Sorry to continue this argument, but how exactly does Nemo teach you anything?

Well if anyone here ever bothered to listen to Crush talk about Sea turtles or ask him questions, take Mr. Ray's quiz thing, talk to the CMs, read the signs next to the aquariums etc. Really the "you don't learn things from Nemo" nonsense is just fanboi whining from Pixar haters. Ask me how you can learn something from Soarin', Mission Space or Honey I Shrunk the Audeience, those are better questions.

HMF

On these two statements:

The original vision for the park has changed because in practice it didn't really work. (Otherwise, World of Motion, Horizons, Journey Into Imagination, kitchen Kabaret, The Living Seas, et. al. would have stood the test of time that other attractions older than them have (like It's a Small World, Pirates of the Caribbean or the Jungle Cruise).

The Living Seas was modified to include Findng Nemo because that dramatic, Sci-Fi vision of the seas became outdated and unpopular. As a theme park, Epcot's first goal (it even lists it in this order in the 1982 dedication) is to entertain. I am absolutely in favor of educating people in Epcot (future teacher here), but it must be done in an approachable and entertaining way. Not many people associate with the seas in a dramatic or science fiction-inspired way anymore I guess; what was good in 1986 isn't in anymore in the 2000s. Disney didn't close the pavilion's attractions for no reason; they closed one by one because the cost of running the attraction was no longer outweighed by its popularity. (The same thing happened to each of Future World's attractions one by one.) It doesn't make sense to run an attraction most people don't care to see. Disney updated the ride to make it resonate with today's audience and in doing so revitalized a stale part of Epcot. Today, The Seas with Nemo and Friends packs them in dail. Could the pavilion be a bit more informative? Sure it could, but the groundwork is there.

The funny thing about learning is that you learn more when you don't realize you're learning. It's why lecture-based classes are often tedious while active, discussion or project-based classes are often more interesting and informative. This is the path Epcot seems to be taking lately. (Nemo in The Seas, SSE touch screens, etc.) Yes, WDI needs to work a bit on their execution, but it all falls in line with Epcot's goal of "entertain, infom and inspire." The interests and expectations of the American and worldwide public are changing; there is no reason why Disney should attempt to entertain and inform people using tired methods that no longer apply to society. (Perhaps the rampant displeasure with recent Epcot is more a commentary on a common displeasure with society as a whole than a displeasure with Epcot alone?)
I have commented before on how society has been dumbed down in recent years. While it seems to be changing I am still upset with the lack of attention spans dis-interests and anti-intellectulism of modern society. Having said that I do not neccasarily mind Nemo in the pavillion the problem is he has taken over the pavillion and the name of the pavillion has changed to the Seas with Nemo & Friends which alienates a big portion of your audience. Learning and education is a cornerstone of society. If we do not properly educate Children today then our future will be in jepordy. After all "The Future World is born today." Ironicly this is my 666th post.

TP2000

Was I supposed to learn something from the original Epcot pavilions?

I'm a huge Epcot Center fan, but all I remember learning from some of my favorite old Epcot attractions like Horizons was that in the 21st century when we worked on all the high-tech gizmos we would all be thin, we would all wear polyester jumpsuits, and we would all have very fluffy early-1980's feathered hairdo's. :cool:

Duckberg

it DOESN'T!

Nemo focus is entertainment, look they wanted to highlight one of their most popular recent times characters :king:. They had the space & went for it, works for me Duckberg :wave:

EPCOT Explorer

Well if anyone here ever bothered to listen to Crush talk about Sea turtles or ask him questions, take Mr. Ray's quiz thing, talk to the CMs, read the signs next to the aquariums etc. Really the "you don't learn things from Nemo" nonsense is just fanboi whining from Pixar haters. Ask me how you can learn something from Soarin', Mission Space or Honey I Shrunk the Audeience, those are better questions.

The reason most of us "Fanboys" don't like the Nemo concept because it's entirely taken over the pavilion. There's no sense of Future/Discovery there. It's just fantasy.

Regarding the other attractions you mentioned...
  • Soarin'- It's parter of a wider Land experience which perfectly exhibits EPCOT's values
  • Mission: Space- a VERY classic FW Pav. It would be perfect if it were a bit more accesible to ALL guests and like you said, was a bit more informative. But for now, the experience of Space Travel is a pretty good step for EPCOT
  • HISTA- Eh. It's the JII Vid. I guess it underscores the whole "Imagination" thing, but you hardly learn there, you are right.

Animaniac93-98

Mission: Space- a VERY classic FW Pav. It would be perfect if it were a bit more accesible to ALL guests and like you said, was a bit more informative. But for now, the experience of Space Travel is a pretty good step for EPCOT

Too bad I don't care to ride it more than once (although I've done it 3 times), it isn't very special for me.

The Land is the model Epcot pavilion for sure, but The Seas for me is still good. You can always eat at Coral Reef to avoid the characters (unless Mickey is swimming by).

DoctorPrius

The reason most of us "Fanboys" don't like the Nemo concept because it's entirely taken over the pavilion. There's no sense of Future/Discovery there. It's just fantasy.

• Soarin'- It's parter of a wider Land experience which perfectly exhibits EPCOT's values
  • Mission: Space- a VERY classic FW Pav. It would be perfect if it were a bit more accesible to ALL guests and like you said, was a bit more informative. But for now, the experience of Space Travel is a pretty good step for EPCOT
  • HISTA- Eh. It's the JII Vid. I guess it underscores the whole "Imagination" thing, but you hardly learn there, you are right.

While I like Soarin' it is very obviously a ride that was designed for California adventure that was forced into Epcot. It is not a "wider Land experince" if anything it is a narrower Land experince homing in on the splendors of California State.

M:S is classic? :lol: Space travel is represented FAR better in other attractions on property (Space Mountain, Star Tours) and the ride M:S replaced (Horizons) had a far superior section showing the human race's future in space.

JWG

1996 and Test Track was for me the beginning of the end for Future World. Test Track is, and forever will be, 1996 encapsulated. There was nothing futurisitc about it. It simply is a auto manufacturer testing facility circa 1996.

While I still think it captures the essences of edutainment, it just teaches about how we tested cars 13 years ago. And, for most people high school and above, it doesn't teach as much as it allows you to experience what you already know happens.

That being said, Test Track is a fine attraction, I just think it signaled the end of Epcot's original plan.

I wouldn't miss it, unless they didn't replace it. Though, I'd be interested to see how you turn that facility into an events pavilion! I should hold my tongue, they'll probably take me up on the challenge. :lookaroun

Lee

Adventurer
M:S is classic? :lol: Space travel is represented FAR better in other attractions on property (Space Mountain, Star Tours)
Space Mountain?:lol: That is hardly a realistic representation of a trip into space. It's practically just a poor excuse for a coaster in a dark room with a disco ball.
Star Tours? Pure fantasy.

M:S is a far superior look at the potential of near-future space travel. If they could find a way to put in some sort of exhibit on man's history and future with space (kinda like what was at Disneyland a few years ago)...M:S would be a top notch pavillion.

EPCOT Explorer

While I like Soarin' it is very obviously a ride that was designed for California adventure that was forced into Epcot. It is not a "wider Land experince" if anything it is a narrower Land experince homing in on the splendors of California State.

M:S is classic? :lol: Space travel is represented FAR better in other attractions on property (Space Mountain, Star Tours) and the ride M:S replaced (Horizons) had a far superior section showing the human race's future in space.
Never said that it WAS a classic, it just exhibits a core EPCOT ideal and subject: Space Travel. It's possible and it presents it quite realistically.

Edit...Lee beat me to it. I should enter replies when I open threads...not 10 mins later.:lol:

jt04

Original Poster
Space Mountain?:lol: That is hardly a realistic representation of a trip into space. It's practically just a poor excuse for a coaster in a dark room with a disco ball.
Star Tours? Pure fantasy.

M:S is a far superior look at the potential of near-future space travel. If they could find a way to put in some sort of exhibit on man's history and future with space (kinda like what was at Disneyland a few years ago)...M:S would be a top notch pavillion.

Simple, just expand the pavilion to include the WoL pavilion and/or pad. There is plenty they could cover on the subject from astronomy to exploration to easily fill a pavilion the size of "The Land". That is what I would do anyway.

DisneyMusician2

I think as a real nature exploration, Soarin; fits perfectly! And it certainly doesn't present a 'narrow' Land experience. People are seeing sights from another part of the country they may not necessarily have been to. To be, that is an expansion.

goodtimes5286

Sorry to go backwards but I just got back from Disney

I personally love what they did to the living seas, not only does it have attractions I want to go into, but it's got animals for those who want to look at and learn about (maybe idk b/c i hate animals so i never get around them) them. So what if it's nemo based, last time I checked nemo was an aquatic based animal and it is the LIVING seas pavilion at DISNEY'S epcot.

and as for there being no discovery there thats funny, your right most children are experts on aquatic animals, have seen, and know everything about them so there is no reason for there to be exibits. When I went yesterday I saw a stingray flopping around until it was covered in dirt and lying on the bed of the tank, I had no clue what thats about and I had never seen that before, thats discovery, it doesnt always have to be force feed to you, sometimes just observing is enough to learn more then you came with

To be honest I really hate hearing the same thing over and over and over again about Epcot not being "informative" enough, that's not what it was built for, that's not the central theme of epcot. Comming away with some new information, is second, and if you dont believe me then take it from Walt who came up with Epcot in the first place!

"I would rather entertain and hope that people learned something than educate people and hope they were entertained." ----Walt Disney

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom