GM Out, Cars In?

Mr.EPCOT

By 1996, it was decided to change Epcot a bit and attempt to attract a wider audience by introducing a thrill ride. Thus, World of Motion gave way to Test Track.

Not to nitpick, but this isn't what happened as I understand it. General Motor's contract was up for World of Motion, and decided they wanted an attraction that focused solely on their product, as opposed to the (arguably rightful) general topic of transportation. Disney never wants to lose a sponsor, of course, and took the opportunity to develop another thrill ride for EPCOT.

If Disney continued to operate many of the original attractions today (even updated versions of them), Epcot would not be nearly as exciting or appealing today. Are you trying to tell me Epcot would be better if Horizons, World of Motion, the original Spaceship Earth, the Universe of Energy, and The Living Seas were all still operating today? If that's what you are arguing, it is my personal opinion that you are mistaken and merely being nostalgic for things you can't ever experience again.

I think that all depends on the manner in which those attractions would have been updated and plussed. There could have been impressive technology added that would have made them quite exciting. It's interesting you bring up Spaceship Earth, because that is more or less a great example of how these pavilions could be updated. The actual result may be less than stellar, but it's a good idea of how it should be done. What if the Universe of Energy was updated with 3-D screens, showcasing an ultra-realistically rendered Big Bang (among many other things that could be done)? Horizons could have had all kinds of special effects additions, set and costume updates, and new narration. I'm sure it would have been relatively easy to change out and pluss the Choose Your Tomorrow ending. Test Track would have been a great addition to the World of Motion experience. And as it sounds like amazing things were considered for The Living Seas, if WDW1974 is to be believed. The combination of all of these types of things could easily make for a much more exciting EPCOT than what we have now, creating a "WOW!" experience that would far surpass those of just pure physical thrills. Essentially what you are saying as I perceive it is that the Magic Kingdom isn't as exciting because The Haunted Mansion and Pirates of the Caribbean are still around, instead of just having been replaced outright by, say, Splash Mountain.

HMF

Seems like more of a way to market the AK message. Although I can see a few Epcot-esgue tie-ins.
It work's for both.What I mean is Disney can bring back the concept of edu-tainment without shoving characters into it. I think this can be healthy for Epcot's future.

yankspy

It work's for both.What I mean is Disney can bring back the concept of edu-tainment without shoving characters into it. I think this can be healthy for Epcot's future.
One can only hope.:):animwink: I really do not see the need for characters everywhere. I was a kid when I first visited Epcot Center in 82 and I was fascinated by everything.

HMF

One can only hope.:):animwink: I really do not see the need for characters everywhere. I was a kid when I first visited Epcot Center in 82 and I was fascinated by everything.
I remember as a 9 year old kid in November of 99 being riding SSE 94 falling in love with it and with Epcot. I remember distinctly crying during Reflections of Earth. Epcot was special to me when I was 9 and I did not need characters or video screens to entertain me. In 10 years Epcot has turned into a very different place. I will still go as long as Reflections of Earth remains intact but I am concerned about the future of my favorite place in the world.

wickedfan07

Not to nitpick, but this isn't what happened as I understand it. General Motor's contract was up for World of Motion, and decided they wanted an attraction that focused solely on their product, as opposed to the (arguably rightful) general topic of transportation. Disney never wants to lose a sponsor, of course, and took the opportunity to develop another thrill ride for EPCOT.

I think that all depends on the manner in which those attractions would have been updated and plussed. There could have been impressive technology added that would have made them quite exciting. It's interesting you bring up Spaceship Earth, because that is more or less a great example of how these pavilions could be updated. The actual result may be less than stellar, but it's a good idea of how it should be done. What if the Universe of Energy was updated with 3-D screens, showcasing an ultra-realistically rendered Big Bang (among many other things that could be done)? Horizons could have had all kinds of special effects additions, set and costume updates, and new narration. I'm sure it would have been relatively easy to change out and pluss the Choose Your Tomorrow ending. Test Track would have been a great addition to the World of Motion experience. And as it sounds like amazing things were considered for The Living Seas, if WDW1974 is to be believed. The combination of all of these types of things could easily make for a much more exciting EPCOT than what we have now, creating a "WOW!" experience that would far surpass those of just pure physical thrills. Essentially what you are saying as I perceive it is that the Magic Kingdom isn't as exciting because The Haunted Mansion and Pirates of the Caribbean are still around, instead of just having been replaced outright by, say, Splash Mountain.

Maybe I am really underestimating the role of sponsorship in Epcot. When I originally posted, I was not even really thinking about GM's role in the genesis of Test Track (besides the obvious design influence).

I don't mean to sound lik I want classic attractions replaced with cheap thrills. (I would never want Disney to replace The Haunted Mansion or Pirates of the Caribbean with a thrill ride.) I keep using Test Track as an example because it is one of the biggest changes in Epcot's history. After Body Wars, it was the next attempt at attracting a different audiene to Epcot. Before TT and BW, Epcot didn't really have any thrill rides. Now, I would not want every pavilion to be updated in the manner Test Track was. However, its not right to say Epcot can't have any thrill rides, or any rides where the main goal is not educational or informative. These changes were made for sponsirship reasons, but mostly to help the park appeal to a wider audience. Yeah, its a finacial thing, but as an Epcot fan, wouldn't you want to share your favorite place with more people?

And the Univere of Energy with 3D effects would be pretty awesome, actually, since you mentioned it.

Mr.EPCOT

Maybe I am really underestimating the role of sponsorship in Epcot. When I originally posted, I was not even really thinking about GM's role in the genesis of Test Track (besides the obvious design influence).

I don't mean to sound lik I want classic attractions replaced with cheap thrills. (I would never want Disney to replace The Haunted Mansion or Pirates of the Caribbean with a thrill ride.) I keep using Test Track as an example because it is one of the biggest changes in Epcot's history. After Body Wars, it was the next attempt at attracting a different audiene to Epcot. Before TT and BW, Epcot didn't really have any thrill rides. Now, I would not want every pavilion to be updated in the manner Test Track was. However, its not right to say Epcot can't have any thrill rides, or any rides where the main goal is not educational or informative. These changes were made for sponsirship reasons, but mostly to help the park appeal to a wider audience. Yeah, its a finacial thing, but as an Epcot fan, wouldn't you want to share your favorite place with more people?

I don't think there is any reason that EPCOT shouldn't have thrill rides, but I do think that they should be a lot more thoughtfully developed than Test Track. Unfortunately, what has happened with that it is that it's just now "that fast car ride." Most people get a kick out of it for a fast cheap thrill (the speed run), and the average person seems to care less about the rest of it. The attraction was built at the cost of the pavilion's soul, and doesn't really contribute meaningfully to the overall EPCOT experience. Yes, I'd love as many people to experience EPCOT as possible, but I want them to come away impressed and inspired and hopeful and eager to create a better future.

And the Univere of Energy with 3D effects would be pretty awesome, actually, since you mentioned it.

And just think, that's just a simple fanboy idea, just think what the professionals could come up with given the right people in the right positions!

Captain Chaos

Yes' They are called Test Track and Mission Space.

Not sure how MS educates anyone on anything other than knowing your limits on thrill rides and puking... TT I can see soem education in it, but it is more for thrills I think... My opinion obviously.. Not a fact :)

yankspy

Yes' They are called Test Track and Mission Space.
I guess it is a matter of opinion but I do not consider either of those to be edutaining. I like both attractions but IMO Mission Space is a poor excuse for a proper space pavilion. Astronomy has seen a boom in the past two decades and yet all of these new things are nowhere to be seen at Epcot.

I guess TT does teach somewhat but it would be more interesting if they dealt more with the future of the automotive industry.

nibblesandbits

I disagree I think the Epcot message hit it's peak during the Millenium Celebration . With the exception of JIYI The Millenium Celebration is when Epcot's theme really shine through. ( I first went in 99) I understand people upset about Horizons. To me (with the obvious exception of JIYI) Epcot started it's downward spiral with the Seas with Nemo & Friends. As to why it alieanates part of the audience. How many teenagers or childless adults will flock to something called "The Seas with Nemo & Friends?

Um...I have to say, actually, probably quite a few...

As an example, I know my friends who are all in are mid 20s love Finding Nemo, the movie, as did a lot of other people our age...as well as those who are both older and younger...that's why I think that Nemo was a fine choice for the Seas. As for the childless comment...I'm married and childless, my friends are neither married nor have children and we all still love Nemo. But then again, that's just me. :shrug:

Mr.EPCOT

Yep...I'm sure they could easily update TT into a WoM esque ride and still retain the high speed finale.

Oh, that'd be so easy to do, and probably make it even more popular, and have people remember it for much more than just the speed run.

Okay, follow me here: My concept has been to essentially keep the same ride system, and program it so that for the portion of the ride in the main building, it travels at Omnimover speeds and almost down to Omnimover spacing. At the beginning of the attraction, probably just as your boarding, you would select whether you want a fast or slow ending (using some kind of clever terminology, of course). You'd then go through updated versions of the classic scenes from World of Motion. Once you get to the area where the crash barrier test currently (what would be the present day in the new storyline), your vehicle would go through a switch based on what your choice at the beginning of the ride was. The entirety of the speed run area would now be enclosed, with three levels of ride track, two for fast, and one for slow. As they go around the outer loop, you would be looking in at the new Hub City/Centercore glowing perpetually moving city of the future. The slow track would be on the bottom level, and reenter the main building back about where the loading area is, which a show scene that would be on the fast track. The fast tracks would accelerate along the rest of the speed run, enclosed into tunnels with a kind of warp speed effect to heighten the sensation of speed to represent the ever faster transportation of the future. All three tracks would merge just before the unload area, which would of course dump out into an ultra-spiffy new TransCenter. It's Fun to Be Free!

EPCOT Explorer

Oh, that'd be so easy to do, and probably make it even more popular, and have people remember it for much more than just the speed run.

Okay, follow me here: My concept has been to essentially keep the same ride system, and program it so that for the portion of the ride in the main building, it travels at Omnimover speeds and almost down to Omnimover spacing. At the beginning of the attraction, probably just as your boarding, you would select whether you want a fast or slow ending (using some kind of clever terminology, of course). You'd then go through updated versions of the classic scenes from World of Motion. Once you get to the area where the crash barrier test currently (what would be the present day in the new storyline), your vehicle would go through a switch based on what your choice at the beginning of the ride was. The entirety of the speed run area would now be enclosed, with three levels of ride track, two for fast, and one for slow. As they go around the outer loop, you would be looking in at the new Hub City/Centercore glowing perpetually moving city of the future. The slow track would be on the bottom level, and reenter the main building back about where the loading area is, which a show scene that would be on the fast track. The fast tracks would accelerate along the rest of the speed run, enclosed into tunnels with a kind of warp speed effect to heighten the sensation of speed to represent the ever faster transportation of the future. All three tracks would merge just before the unload area, which would of course dump out into an ultra-spiffy new TransCenter. It's Fun to Be Free!
The idea you have is nice, really, but it is so logistically complicated!:dazzle::lol:

It would however be really cool to have a thrill in what is primarily the inform part of the attraction.:king:

EPCOT Explorer

What's that, just completely remove like the second half of the track on the speed run to be flung through the air? :lol:

:ROFLOL:

No, but they could easily have a line that explains that THIS is the future, just as you go hurtling around the TT Building to see FW.

It would fit in so well with the E. P. CITY. O. T. Concept.;)

Also...How hard would it be to enclose the other part of the track (that goes in the back) to be a HUGE City of the Future/Glitter City/EPCOT Diorama of Amazingness?

:D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom