Girls in princess dresses at parks

Rora

Original Poster
This isn't a criticism, just something I've always wondered. So I thought I'd ask the parents here for input. I noticed at the parks, especially MK, a lot of little girls wearing their princess dresses. Sometimes also with dress shoes. Is this something the child wanted to wear, or is it the parent's idea? I know little girls love to dress up, and I guess there aren't many opportunities to wear them outside of the house. But I can't imagine those poor kids being comfortable for very long in that heat, and climbing in and out of rides. I think it strikes a chord in me because I'm borderline about wearing the right outfit for maximum comfort.

tigsmom

When you are a mom get back to me. :lol:

Little girls love Princesses and that is why the outfits are so popular. If my 10 y/o could still fit into one she would wear it all the time. Kids don't care if it hot or cold, sunny or raining, they will fight to wear what they want and if its WDW and they have a princess dress handy (along with all the accesories) then that is what they will wear.

rainfully

I love the little girls in the princess dresses! Especially when they are meeting the princess they are dressed as... it always makes for such a cute encounter! And I'm sure the girls love it too! :)

tinkish

Uh, huh....I've even had a couple of my little first grade students show up for school in partial princess wear! They'll wear that stuff anywhere! Well, that...and Cheetah Girl outfits too!

dixiegirl

yes, when you are a parent you'll understand..especially with girls.. my daughter who is 4 loves wearing her princess outfits to the parks ..no matter what the weather is like...and to meet her favorite princess with the same dress....well lets just say its very magical...to the little girl and parents( well i know for at least us). and the attention they get..well my daughter eats it right up...this past may both my girls dressed up one as minnie mouse and the other..the oldest, like mickey himself...it was in the high 80's that day but my oldest did'nt care she wanted to walk around like that until we see mickey in toon town.. ( also when she is dressed like him, she acts like him. its funny to see it..mickey got a kick out of it too)...plus we got some great pics....also in may our oldest wanted to get a jasmine outfit..well whenever alladin and jasmine seen her all dressed up..very pricesss..also alladin was cute in kissing my daughters hand on bended knee.(my daughter had the biggest smile.)....so as far as little girls dressing up in the park...its rare not to see a girl dressed up...dam, i wish i could walk around dressed up like a princess...lol ..i settle for getting my face painted and mickey ears..

Aww the girls in dresses are adorable! I would wear a dress if they had one in my size! By the way, I'm 17 and my friends and I (we're going April 06) already have bought crowns, wands, and purses of our favorite princesses to wear in all the parks! :lol:

daveemtdave

Ok, I will go the opposite route. I am a parent of two girls and both HATE dressing up. Never liked it. I do believe parents have a lot to say on this matter; how else would the child have the outfit. Last time I check most four year olds clothes are bought by mom and dad or some kind hearted relative.

As for wearing them in school...thank goodness our dress code will not allow this. Not everyone can afford those outfits and children in school should be dressed for all activities - outdoor recess and gym.

While in the parks, if the parent wants the child to wear the outfit; that is fine. For those parents who say 'MY CHILD WOULD HAVE A FIT IF I SAID THEY COULD NOT WEAR THAT OUTFIT.' My comment back is WHO IS THE PARENT.

stitchlvr

I'm so glad my girls were never into the whole princess thing. They weren't into barbie either.

On the other hand, when Monsters Inc came out, my daughter, who was 7 at the time, insisted on wearing her MI Sully halloween costume to the movie theater. It was hilarious! she had so many people pointing and smiling, she just ate it up! :lol:

Yellow Shoes

I'm the mother of boys, so no real frame of reference here.

What I can tell you is that all of my boys around ages 3-5 LOVED their cowboy boots--far better than I did. (Have you ever been kicked with them?)

They insisted on wearing them in the summer with shorts.
Did it look funny? (yes, and kinda cute as well)
Was I going to insist that they wear more appropriate footwear? (Absolutely not--it wasn't a hill I wanted to die on.)

I agree that the girls in their costumes are just TOO cute. I have a treasured photo of a girl (no clue who she is) in a Minnie costume on Minnie's front porch.

Face it, those costumes cost a fortune. I cannot fault anyone--parent or child for wanting to get maximum use from them.

Ringo8n24

My daughter would wear her princess dresses 24 hours a day if she could. I have always read to let them choose their outfits as much as they can so that they can develop their own style when they are older. As for a child wearing it and it is 90 degrees outside, I agree with the others who say you have to be a parent of daughter who loves the princess dresses to understand. It literally breaks her heart when we tell her she cannot wear it. It gets tough, so if she wants to wear it at WDW...I feel what a great place to express her love of the princess. :)

lawyergirl77

speck76 said:
I just can't decide :lookaroun

This one?

or this one?

That? Is hilarious!

I have a friend who grew up on a farm most of her life with a very non-girly mother... As a result, she only got her first dress/skirt when she was 13... And she has been making up for lost time ever since!

Reason why I tell this story? Because it nearly broke my heart to see the look on her 25-year-old face when she found out that they don't make Belle dresses for adults at WDW. She TOTALLY would have walked around in one, along with the heels and perfectly done hair, comfort be damned!!

And when I gave one to my goddaughter (who was 6 at the time), I thought she was going to rocket to the moon with the joy of it all...

So I totally get that there are kids who want to wear these dresses, and that they aren't being forced to wear them to fulfill some parent's desire for a photo op (although, obviously, that may be the case in some isolated circumstances).

*sigh* I wish they would have had those dresses while I was growing up... :( I totally would have bought a Cinderella dress as a kid and worn it proudly whenever I got the chance!!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom