George Lucas Mentions Star Tours Overhaul!

Thrawn

Account Suspended
BigNorm said:
I love the current Star Tours, but I think it would be cool if Rex accidentally flew us into the forest scene from 'Jedi' or onto Hoth from 'Empire.' We need more than just a trip to Endor. Give us Hoth or Tatooine or even wookie home world, Kashyyyk, in addition to Endor and I would be happy.

Doubtful that any redo will be in the original trilogy. I'm guessing whatever is done will be from episode 3. Though both the pod racing from ep 1 and the Coruscant chase from ep 2 are possible.

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
Lee said:
I'm told they will use the existing ride system, but with COMPLETELY redone audio and video.
Anyone who has seen the current video system up close can testify as to how old-school it is...exposed film running around the back of the vehicle.

I am looking forward to it....

Also... here is a short list of other projects / attractions Skwalker Sound (George Lucas) has worked on (if anybody is intrested).

*will work there some day* :D

Thrawn

Account Suspended
DMC-12 said:
I am looking forward to it....

Also... here is a short list of other projects / attractions Skwalker Sound (George Lucas) has worked on (if anybody is intrested).

That doesn't include the hundreds of movies they've done, either.

tk421-sw

It was a great ride when it was opened, as has lived up for a while now, but with the closing of the saga near, I will accept this change with open arms. I will say this with a small amount of unsureadness, but I believe that I am the biggest Star Wars fan on the boards, if not in Florida. (For instance, I brought my lunch yesterday, that consisted of Star WArs Fritos, Star Wars fuirt snacks, Star Wars M&M, and I ate my apple sauce with a light up Jedi Lightsaber spoon, Along with my Mickey Mouse shaped PB&J. All enclosed in my orignal 1983 Return of the Jedi lunch box.) I know, people might argue with that, but anyways, I have ridden Star Tours hundreds of times, and still enjoy it very much. George Is an odd guy. I had always wanted to work for him at ILM, But after hearing stories of the work enviornment, I'm leaning more twoard Pixar or something along that line. But anyways, I will be there the first day it is reopened! You can count on me.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
DMC-12 said:

Thanks. I always thought Universe of Energy had an impressive audio system (particularly the low frequency weight) during the movie elements. Interesting Skywalker were involved.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
General Grizz said:
Great news - - especially knowing that George Lucas is involved.

Perhaps the newer technology could be duplicated for a redone Body Wars :lookaroun

Please no! LOL. The sooner Body Wars is retired the better! That is one horrible concept.

wannab@dis

General Grizz said:
Great news - - especially knowing that George Lucas is involved.

Perhaps the newer technology could be duplicated for a redone Body Wars :lookaroun

I wouldn't get your hopes up that a new ride system will be used. I figure at most, new movie with updated sound and video technology. The same Body Wars attraction with hi-def and great sound would still be Body Wars. I don't think it's worth the trouble.

However, a new movie would probably be part of the ST rehab which would bring new life to the attraction. Sounds good to me. Since Lucas IS a slow mover, wonder what kind of timeline we're looking at?

Rosso11

This is quoted from theforce.net
"He (George Lucas) said there were plans to revamp Star Tours, and how those discussion started with Episode I. He said there were several great things planned, and some awesome ideas."

This sounds great except its all in past tense wich scares me a little. I hope those awesome ideas are actually gona happen.

TP2000

They could overlay a lot of the existing technology from Tokyo DisneySea's Stormchaser ride into the cabins currenly used at the Star Tours rides in both Disneyland and Disney World. Busting pipes, in-cabin sparks, falling panels, etc. would liven up the Star Tours trip, regardless of which new destination we may be going to.

DarkMeasures

I still wouldn't expect anything to happen until next year. Iger needs to become CEO first.

I am also sure the ATAT has nothing to do with the possibility of a new ride. And am also pretty sure the the first Star Tours to recieve a rehab would be Disneyland.

But besides that, the new technology could be a really well done and welcome change. I mean it has almost been 20 years since the ride opened at Disneyland. Since then, technology has skyrocketed. I am also pretty sure a good amount of the motion sickness problems could be fixed. If the film uses CGI, then the camera could actually be set up to fit exactly with the movement of the pod. And besides that, the technology on mission space could help a bunch too. (like the constant cold air).

But I will definitly be happy if there is a re-do of the ride. (Star Tours is a ride that I am amazed that management has yet to decide to close. The WDW never seems to have a ride. I go during the week of christmas and there is still no line it seems).

t3techcom18

This is a really good idea!!! I think they should put in several key fight sequences that you can be right there in the action! Several examples:

- Like someone else said here, the planet of Corusant.

- The planet of Kashyyk, the home planet of Chewbacca, in which there is a huge battle there in Episode III.

- The planet of Naboo in the fight where little Anakin is in in Episode I.

- The opening sequence of Episode III has a giant battleship battle over a planet, and the whole sequence is rumored to be about 10 minutes or longer, which provides more and more footage for you to use.

Then, there's the rest in the other movies...the visions are pointless, and personally, even though it is a good idea about the pod race, I don't think it would do good, as that has lost popularity, even with me and other people. But head honcho Lucas knows what he's doing...he come'll up with something good. :animwink:

diddy_mouse

this is definietly interesting...

as i read this post, munching on Star Wars Dark side M&M's, i feel that the ride is in definite need of an overhaul. granted, i still ride it everytime i'm down there :rolleyes: but there seem to be quite a few possibilities for a new ride film as well as better simulator technology. i've got a soft spot for simulators (Back to the Future is my favorite of the genre)

here's to a possible rehab!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom