George K to Replace Meg Crofton as WDW head in early 2013

WDW1974

Original Poster
They already have a SQS dept and they are good at their job, very good. They just need a lot more people.

Here is a normal example.-

SQS emails the Attractions maintenance dept about the upcoming SQS inspection usually 3-4 weeks ahead of time.

They try to get the attraction ready before the inspection.

SQS makes up a hit list and it is usually pretty detailed. For instance, you watch the Hall of Presidents show and it looks good, their list probably has 75-100 problems ie, Lincoln’s right arm twist was only 50%.

Then SQS send that hit list to that respective Attractions maintenance dept

The Attractions maintenance dept makes up work orders to repair the items.

Some things are corrected and some things aren’t a lot are ignored.

The problem is there is no follow up, nobody checks and sees if everything was completed and SQS doesn’t check again until the next inspection.

I don't know where the problem lies ... whether it is SQS or Ops or management or all of the above. But WDW's SQS suck ... they are a joke compared with every other Disney resort worldwide and whatever they are doing clearly isn't working and hasn't been since the 20th freaking century.

Time for some change says I.

articos

It would be helpful if there was at least one maintenance CM at each attraction. Many are responsible for multiple attractions and since they're aging those attractions have more failing safety-critical components (or more pressure to fix one versus another based on popularity/FP.) To the maintenance CM show quality is something that third-shift will do - hopefully - unless a leader puts their foot down to fix it (and their on the line as their hourly ride counts plummets.)

Also, never seen anyone mechanically disable a door on a PeopleMover car. The vehicle doesn't have a metal bar to attach a flag or a clip. Although I did see duct tape being used once to keep it closed.
I don't think there's been staffing to have a maint CM at each for decades (if ever), although I would love it if someone would free up budget to make it happen. There should be enough coverage to have a pair of maint techs covering an area for minor issues during the day (alongside regular staffed techs), as long as they don't get slammed. I'm really wondering when the practice of just locking out the doors on the PeopleMover cars stopped. This is the way it was from opening, and was common practice. If a car's doors were closed, guests knew not to board, and went to the next one, and it didn't affect show. The car's issues were addressed after closing. Done and done. Same practice at EPCOT. As for nothing to clip on to, on a RV that didn't have a place to clip or not magnetic, color velcro/adhesive tags were the second favored way of marking. Duct tape? This thread is now making me ill. sigh.:confused:

rael ramone

Questions for George:

1) Are you going to lean on the Chef's de France subcontractors to stop serving hospital food downstairs (and to not even dare use that restuarant in any way, shape or form as a model for Monsieur Paul upstairs)?

2) When can we expect the 'Cockerell Fries' to be removed from property and replaced with a variety of crisp, flavorful french fried potato offerings?

3) And finally, in the event you survive the upcoming BoD ordered purge of upper management over the nextGen/COPPA congressional hearings, do you have a plan in place to undue years of offering less for more?

maxairmike

I don't think there's been staffing to have a maint CM at each for decades (if ever), although I would love it if someone would free up budget to make it happen. There should be enough coverage to have a pair of maint techs covering an area for minor issues during the day (alongside regular staffed techs), as long as they don't get slammed. I'm really wondering when the practice of just locking out the doors on the PeopleMover cars stopped. This is the way it was from opening, and was common practice. If a car's doors were closed, guests knew not to board, and went to the next one, and it didn't affect show. The car's issues were addressed after closing. Done and done. Same practice at EPCOT. As for nothing to clip on to, on a RV that didn't have a place to clip or not magnetic, color velcro/adhesive tags were the second favored way of marking. Duct tape? This thread is now making me ill. sigh.:confused:

Well the bolded part covers about half of today's current issues...and no, that's not a joke, unfortunately. I also have a feeling that the safety requirements are probably a little tighter than they were in the 70s and 80s, which means less time/space to make sure a party is completely boarded before a CM has to stop the ride motion (resulting in about a 3-5 minute restart procedure, maybe longer if cars aren't spacing properly). Like someone mentioned, those turnstile clicks are the all-important measurement for the parks now.

zulemara

In the Parks
Yes
I'd love to be a bug on the wall when Staggs and Iger descend on WDW next week ... although, who knows, I may just overhear something with my Spirited ears?:D;):cool:

I just wanna know exactly what they really think of the disaster in the middle of DTD and the failed plan A, plan B, we're on plan C now right? Do they even get paraded around down there? I can see TDO trying to keep their attention on other things...

SirLink

I'd say if they wanted to divert attention, the DTD announcement would be just the thing.
It is supposed to be unveiled right about this time anyhow. How convenient....:)

(Assuming the good folks in those trailers behind AoA are finally ready to show us something...)

Is this the 15th version or 25th version, and if it is shops and dining locales - how will it be a diversion? Now an E-ticket using brand new technology going into EPCOT now that would be a diversion...

Genie of the Lamp

Any updates on what TDO is going to do with the space formerly occupied by the once great and lively Pleasure Island that actually excited older folks to go and be on WDW Property even for resort guests looking for something to do after the parks closed and not want to go to bed? Since this is a George thread, I'll throw in my penny's worth of a contribution/question. If you were in TDO's shoes, what would be the first thing you would tell George to work on/accomplish at the WDW Resorts? Mine would be to add/put in place halloween decorations on the same scale they do for the WDW Resorts at Xmas time. It would definitely add an incentive to stay on property during MNSSHP or at the very least go and observe these decorations at the resorts. Also either more discounted rates or themed hotel rooms would be nice as well.

rael ramone

I'd say if they wanted to divert attention, the DTD announcement would be just the thing.
It is supposed to be unveiled right about this time anyhow. How convenient....:)

(Assuming the good folks in those trailers behind AoA are finally ready to show us something...)

I wonder if at this point, if they thought that if they themselves pick up the Escape From Tomorrow film and distribute it themselves would divert attention...

WDW1974

Original Poster
Questions for George:

1) Are you going to lean on the Chef's de France subcontractors to stop serving hospital food downstairs (and to not even dare use that restuarant in any way, shape or form as a model for Monsieur Paul upstairs)?

2) When can we expect the 'Cockerell Fries' to be removed from property and replaced with a variety of crisp, flavorful french fried potato offerings?

3) And finally, in the event you survive the upcoming BoD ordered purge of upper management over the nextGen/COPPA congressional hearings, do you have a plan in place to undue years of offering less for more?

I LOVE question No. 2 ... there was a time not all that long ago when some locations actually had amazing fries, but thanks to Lee 'Yeah, Danny's my boy, but his job has nothing to do with me!' Cockerell absolutely destroyed the chances of getting a tasty order of fries on property unless you go to a non WDW owned and operated locale.

The current fries are godawful ... blech!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom