George K to Replace Meg Crofton as WDW head in early 2013

the.dreamfinder

It may come up again now that they have an openly gay guy at the top, but if it does, it will be brushed aside with a quick statement that would go something like, "The Walt Disney Company is a diverse company that supports all of it employees without discrimination. We are proud of our history of inclusiveness. And plan on continuing this policy into the future."
Apple CEO Tim Cook is gay and no one seems to notice, so why would anyone bother the Prez of WDW?

menamechris

This issue right now seems to fall under "let sleeping dogs lie." There really is no reason for the media to bring something like this into the spotlight unless it is with the intent of irritating and ing off the ultra-conservative right. When and if they DO find out - maybe it will be a lesson. "Wow, for 3 years Disney has been fine, perhaps even getting better, under the leadership of a gay man...", as opposed to "WDW will never be the same for me or my family, because it is being run by a gay man!!" Sometimes private matters should indeed remain private. Those who truly want to know can do the proper research.

yoyoflamingo

Perhaps, the community can come up with a top 10 list of questions for Jason the next time (assuming there is one) he gets to talk to the former Winter Haven Boy Scout made good.Because what was written was PR fluff.

Here, I'll start:

''George, back in 2002 when Cynthia fired you as Sr. VP of Ops of the DLR, could you ever imagine a day where you'd be back in Central FL leading WDW?''

How about: "Do you honestly believe that MyMagic+ is a valid way to spend resources to compete with other Central Florida theme parks? What happens when there are no new attractions, and guests don't feel the need to return so go to Universal instead? Don't you think new attractions should be part of this investment as well, and by attractions, a few new headliners, which haven't appeared in WDW in many years?"

RSoxNo1

I completely agree. I feel also with the atmosphere Everest has, video screens would be out of place and clash horribly.
Yes, or as another poster said you could use older style media. An old radio, or an old black and white tv with a bad picture. Flat screens would be out of place. Look at Tower of Terror for example. The pre-show has tube TVs.

WDW1974

Original Poster
This issue right now seems to fall under "let sleeping dogs lie." There really is no reason for the media to bring something like this into the spotlight unless it is with the intent of irritating and ing off the ultra-conservative right. When and if they DO find out - maybe it will be a lesson. "Wow, for 3 years Disney has been fine, perhaps even getting better, under the leadership of a gay man...", as opposed to "WDW will never be the same for me or my family, because it is being run by a gay man!!" Sometimes private matters should indeed remain private. Those who truly want to know can do the proper research.

Disney hasn't been shy about it at all. I recall sometime years back (maybe 2008, maybe before?) there was a big conference on top (no pun intended) gay execs and George was one of the featured people. ... Again, I don't want to argue about what should be in this country. Just the reality. And knowing George (and I do) I doubt he'd feel differently. I know he wouldn't be offended by the question at all.

WDW1974

Original Poster
But the rest of the world can't anymore! My, the mods are quick and attentive around here! So much for a bit of naughtiness! :D

Did I miss anything naughty?

I hate when that happens. I feel like the fanboi who purposely is given the wrong address for the fanboi/Imagineer mixer.:D

WDW1974

Original Poster
I kind of thought you'd all have some questions for George.

I can assure you that he (or Andy) is reading the thread as are members of the CPSMC as are reporters, so in essence this thread is giving you a chance to talk to WDW's top dog and ask him about things that concern you.

And not very much action.

asianway

I can assure you that he (or Andy) is reading the thread as are members of the CPSMC as are reporters, so in essence this thread is giving you a chance to talk to WDW's top dog and ask him about things that concern you.

And not very much action.
Oh goody...a poster here over a year ago said he was at Trader Sams and met a WDW entertainment manager was there to observe what DL is doing right. From classy swing dancing, to the DL band, to less structured meet n greets and now the BVS and other DCA refreshes did/will the message ever get to Florida that keeping the entertainment fresh is one way to draw people in without massive capital investments? Or are we doomed to more years of dance parties & budget cuts?

the.dreamfinder

Two questions
1) do you have any plans to bulk up on maintainence staff and budgets as a long term means to address the poor condition of things across property?
2)Since you know how to bring in the bacon for your projects, will you push aggressively and get funding to tackle WDW's infrastructure issues, from roads and bridges to transportation?

Good Luck George!!

articos

The 2 primary questions that GK should be asked: Will you take an afternoon and take Andy - sans nametag - and go experience your parks like an average guest, and observe/listen? Call dining and try to make a reservation. Go stand in lines. Observe the cast interactions. Look at the conditions of the attractions. Make notes. Eat a burger. Talk to guests as equals. Then: Will you talk to your cast members and go spend time with them afterwards? Take those notes and ask the painters why the wall has mismatched paint or hasn't been touched up. Ask why BTMRR has effects not working from the techs working on it at night. Not their managers, or your VP, the actual guys doing the work, and ask them to be honest. Find out what is preventing them from doing the job. Find out what procedures work and what doesn't and change them. Do both of these within the first 30 days, and I think he'll be off to a good start.

It isn't about budgets or staffing or NextGen when you take over a role like this for the first month - yes, you need to be on top of those initiatives, but more importantly, you have to understand the basic state of the product. The absolute first thing is getting down there and getting a feel for what's going on. Look at the day to day and work from there. George used to be a detail guy - he needs to get back to that for a while to set an example.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom