General Discussion of Tiana's Bayou Adventure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Midwest Elitist

I’m gonna be completely honest, I am one of these people. If they closed Carousel Of Progress, Or Tiki Room, Or Pirates, or Spaceship Earth it doesn’t really matter what comes next. I’m gonna be resentful for it removing a classic. Splash is on that list and joins ranks with other hall of famers like Horizons, Great Movie Ride and World Of Motion.

And before anyone calls me a stubborn old timer, my first WDW trip was in 2008!
Considering all the children singing Zip-a-dee-doo-dah on the last day of the ride, the age argument doesn't hold up. I bet some kids will miss it dearly.

LittleBuford

Quoting myself from the other thread since it seems I posted in the wrong place.

TL;DR: Story and backstory are not the same thing.
My issue is less with the fact that they’ve given us a convoluted backstory (as you say, many rides have them) than with some of the details of the backstory itself. What exactly is a “boutique farm”? I honestly have no idea. Whatever it is, it certainly has nothing to do with the 1920s. It surely wouldn’t have been all that difficult for them to come up with something that both empowered Tiana and sounded halfway authentic to her world.

_caleb

My issue is less with the fact that they’ve given us a convoluted backstory (as you say, many rides have them) than with some of the details of the backstory itself. What exactly is a “boutique farm”? I honestly have no idea. Whatever it is, it certainly has nothing to do with the 1920s. It surely wouldn’t have been all that difficult for them to come up with something that both empowered Tiana and sounded halfway authentic to her world.
I don’t think this was written to be shared with the general public. And I don’t know what a boutique farm is, either, but I would imagine the anachronisms in the backstory are to “translate” it into something that makes sense to all the engineers, contractors, finders, designers, etc.

I don’t know why they published the backstory without context, explanation, or the sort of polish that would make it appetizing and interesting to audiences. I don’t know why they didn’t make it clear how this serves to shore up the story of Tiana’s Bayou Adventure.

But I do think the reactions are interesting.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Well, most I’ve seen have not just negative, but sarcastically mocking and bitterly derisive. And this even though most of what was in the backstory was already known.

I think it’s important to consider that much of this project is going to reflect the perspective of its lead Imagineer.
i think a lot of that has to do with from the start of announcing the replacement of splash and why, many things at Disney leading up to this since, the bizarre wall signs and backstory they released, and just general trends….most are likely hoping for the best but unfortunately now adays, expecting the worst or something underwhelming leaving more questions

I understand a lead imagineer driving things but if they are designing something for them moreso than everyone else, and people within Disney are afraid to question any of it, we have a problem.

Last edited:

Casper Gutman

My point was that the backstory may not end up having much of an impact on one’s experience of the ride proper.
But it absolutely will. At a minimum it pretty certainly means no Ray and Facilier, no frog protagonists, that the bayou will be domesticated and banal rather then mysterious and magical, and that the Laughing Place will be a salt mine. Just because we’ve vaguely expected these changes for a while doesn’t mean they won’t be apparent and aren’t massive deviations from what one would expect from a well-designed PatF ride. The only question is how much worse it gets, and given how consistently and how exclusively they’re pushing this plot…

Brer Panther

Anyone else willing to bet that the ride's villains will be those two realtor guys who wouldn't let Tiana buy the building because of her "background"?

Or maybe the frog hunters?

LittleBuford

But it absolutely will. At a minimum it pretty certainly means no Ray and Facilier, no frog protagonists, that the bayou will be domesticated and banal rather then mysterious and magical, and that the Laughing Place will be a salt mine.
The absence of Ray and Facilier does indeed seem very likely, though I wouldn’t be surprised if some sort of posthumous reference is made to one or both of them. Given the criticisms levelled at the fact that Tiana was non-human for most of the film, an avoidance of frog protagonists is, I feel, wise. As for the rest, I think it’s an exaggeration to say any of it is pretty certain. There is still potential for them to create something magical, even if the backstory they’ve laid out for us doesn’t exactly encourage such an expectation.

LittleBuford

Well, most I’ve seen have not just negative, but sarcastically mocking and bitterly derisive. And this even though most of what was in the backstory was already known.

I think it’s important to consider that much of this project is going to reflect the perspective of its lead Imagineer.
I too find the tone of some of the criticism disconcerting, which has been the case ever since the retheme was announced. At the same time, however, it’s difficult not to mock an announcement that itself reads as parody, though I think this can be done without mocking the people or intent behind it. I don’t doubt the sincerity and talents of the Imagineers—I really believe they still have the ability to create something amazing—but they’re doing themselves no favours with what they’re choosing to share with us at this stage.

drizgirl

The absence of Ray and Facilier does indeed seem very likely, though I wouldn’t be surprised if some sort of posthumous reference is made to one or both of them. Given the criticisms levelled at the fact that Tiana was non-human for most of the film, an avoidance of frog protagonists is, I feel, wise. As for the rest, I think it’s an exaggeration to say any of it is pretty certain. There is still potential for them to create something magical, even if the backstory they’ve laid out for us doesn’t exactly encourage such an expectation.
The criticism of the frog characters in the movie is that they remained in that state for too much of the film. To leave that out of the ride entirely would be a massive over correction. And a mistake. Although I fear you are right.

DisneyDebRob

The criticism of the frog characters in the movie is that they remained in that state for too much of the film. To leave that out of the ride entirely would be a massive over correction. And a mistake. Although I fear you are right.
Agree. I know it’s early and we don’t have much information but as long as that ride is, every character from the movie should be in it. If the horrible storyline stays as Disney just presented to us, at least it would not be hated as much with all characters in the ride. If they pick and choose which to include, then keep the horrific back story that’s been released, it’s going to be a failure. For most people anyway.
It will be hours long lines anyway but can you imagine kids looking for their favorite characters, not seeing them, and this story to boot? Still will enjoy the drop but I’m sure many questions will be coming from them after. That includes us adults also.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Now that they’ve released more concrete information on this attraction, here are some frequently used words, descriptors, or adjectives use to build anticipation for this attraction:

salt (5x)
beloved
amazing
vibrant
treasured
inspiring
successful
diverse
boutique
Ah yes... The beloved sssssbavtisdb!

(This is the word that was used as someone in the creative process meeting was having a stroke and the CEO said "BRILLIANT! LETS USE THAT!")

EPCOT-O.G.

That’s valid. I don’t think picking up where they left off is necessarily a bad thing.

I worry that WDI is making the same Galaxy’s Edge mistake of locking it into an untested era/timeline though. Moments after the movie ended seems fine. But tethering it to a Tiana and storyline that’s as yet unfamiliar to audiences seems like overthinking it and pushing the new series/merch

drizgirl

That’s valid. I don’t think picking up where they left off is necessarily a bad thing.

I worry that WDI is making the same Galaxy’s Edge mistake of locking it into an untested era/timeline though. Moments after the movie ended seems fine. But tethering it to a Tiana and storyline that’s as yet unfamiliar to audiences seems like overthinking it and pushing the new series/merch
I'm having deja vu over this whole thing, as it's exactly how I felt as the Galaxy's Edge information started coming out. Not a huge SW fan in general, but have a lot of nostalgia for the original trilogy as my kids were big fans growing up. So while not over the top excited for the new project, I was like, OK, this could be fun. Then as more came out and most of what I was interested in experiencing was ditched from the project, I was just over it.

SuddenStorm

Considering all the children singing Zip-a-dee-doo-dah on the last day of the ride, the age argument doesn't hold up. I bet some kids will miss it dearly.

I was born in the '90s, and care more about Splash than any other Disney ride.

I've gone to the park with extended family who are younger than 15- and Splash was their favorite ride.

I've gone to the park with people in their 30s, and Splash is their favorite ride.

It's an experience that transcends generations- as a Disney attraction should.

DisneyDebRob

I also worry from what I’ve been reading, is that they are going from one problem of why they decided to change Splash right into the same problem with Tiana. I didn’t know any of the salt mine stories but I’m doing a lot of research and it just doesn’t sound good.
What is wrong with a ride through the bayou, with all the characters throughout.. leading up to doc Facilier causing havoc at the last drop. Sometimes the most basic storyline can be the best.

Brer Oswald

I was born in the '90s, and care more about Splash than any other Disney ride.

I've gone to the park with extended family who are younger than 15- and Splash was their favorite ride.

I've gone to the park with people in their 30s, and Splash is their favorite ride.

It's an experience that transcends generations- as a Disney attraction should.
I was born in the 2000s. Despite knowing of the ride, I didn’t even ride it until 2012. It really is a ride that transcends generations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom