General Discussion of Tiana's Bayou Adventure

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrerFoxesBayouAdventure

Disney should at least come out and admit WHY they're doing this.
Because making an entertaining ride with the Princess and the Frog characters does not seem to be their highest priority.

I wasn't able to discuss the announcement in the original thread because it got locked when I woke up earlier, but I just gotta say it is quite possibly the stupidest, most inoffensively boring take on these characters and I almost would've preferred a book-report ride if I knew it was gonna be this bad.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
I asked in the other thread but it was locked.

Do salt mines have a history of being repurposed?

I know you can take tours of some, but I don’t know if any co-op restaurant/hot sauce factory/community meeting center/ female empowerment / diverse teaching kitchen thing has ever been attempted ?
It's just like a regular mine, except very dangerous if it gets too moist/wet.

Certainly, food will not be grown in it. Too salty and no sun.

Will it be a place for a feast? Probably not. Most likely the salt dome mine will be something that one passes thru in either the queue or the ride... I would think.

LittleBuford

Splash worked so well because it was self contained. You could go in having never seen a Disney move and you will come out knowing pretty much what happened. I have never low expectations TBA will be 1/10 as clear and concise.

Simply retelling PATF while not ideal would have fit decently. But this? Yikes.
To be fair, Splash also had a rather silly backstory about how Chick-A-Pin Hill became Splash Mountain:

Towering up and above everything hereabouts is Splash Mountain. Used to be that once upon a time, when most of us were still critlins, Splash Mountain was called Chick-A-Pin Hill. But that was then and back before a moonshining raccoon named Rackety, made a slight, but potent error. While mixing an experimental batch of brew, his juice producing still ended up being blown sky high. Many who were there at the time speculated that it was an overabundance of blueberries that caused the disaster.

This was unfortunate, not only for Rackety, but for the industrious Beaver Brothers, who had only recently finished construction on their new dam. Unknown to the Beaver Brothers, Rackety had built his juice still in the woods that backed up to their dam at the high end of the foothills. When the still exploded, the beaver dam burst forth, and all the water is was holding back, flooded the thousands of burrows, holes and tunnels that crisscrossed the inside of Chick-A-Pin Hill. From that time on, all the critters round here couldn't help but call this place Splash Mountain.

But yes, one could just enjoy the ride unencumbered by the backstory. I hope that turns out to be the case for Tiana's Bayou Adventure too.

Brer Oswald

To be fair, Splash also had a rather silly backstory about how Chick-A-Pin Hill became Splash Mountain:

Towering up and above everything hereabouts is Splash Mountain. Used to be that once upon a time, when most of us were still critlins, Splash Mountain was called Chick-A-Pin Hill. But that was then and back before a moonshining raccoon named Rackety, made a slight, but potent error. While mixing an experimental batch of brew, his juice producing still ended up being blown sky high. Many who were there at the time speculated that it was an overabundance of blueberries that caused the disaster.

This was unfortunate, not only for Rackety, but for the industrious Beaver Brothers, who had only recently finished construction on their new dam. Unknown to the Beaver Brothers, Rackety had built his juice still in the woods that backed up to their dam at the high end of the foothills. When the still exploded, the beaver dam burst forth, and all the water is was holding back, flooded the thousands of burrows, holes and tunnels that crisscrossed the inside of Chick-A-Pin Hill. From that time on, all the critters round here couldn't help but call this place Splash Mountain.

But yes, one could just enjoy the ride unencumbered by the backstory. I hope that turns out to be the case for Tiana's Bayou Adventure too.
It is a pretty silly backstory, though I don’t know if it’s specific to Tokyo cause I’ve never witnessed it in the American parks, and the raccoon character is sold on merchandise there.

Now the actual backstory in the queue was pretty great. With very little verbiage, it introduced the hero, the villains (the conflict), and it hyped up the big drop. I would hope this new ride does the same, even if there isn’t a villain (a mistake imo) but rather a general conflict instead.

celluloid

It was only there to explain the flood. It's a flooded Chikapin hill.

Silly, but the right amount of whimsy for those who wonder why logs are floating from the Frontier mill through.

The Tiana situation is based directly to its source material of the TV series. Not really comparable to a backstory to the environment IMHO.

Disney Rocks

I'm genuinely curious how they plan to build up to the big drop with this story. None of the press materials so far mention it nor the thrill aspect at all, as opposed to the original Splash Mountain advertising which was ALL about the drop.

It even looks like the scene in the final lift hill is going to be a happy one with Mama Odie. They seem to want this to be a feel-good family ride, but uh, that whole "50-foot drop" thing is still going to be part of the experience. You don't wanna build up to it at all? Or acknowledge that some people will feel intimidated by it at all?

NelleBelle

So when they first announced the retheme of Splash, I was sad but ok and somewhat excited about TAB coming. Our family loves PaTF, especially the music. So when I read this "storyline" for TAB, I was SHOCKED at how stupidly bad it was! In fact, my DH made me stop reading it to him he was so disgusted with it. How in the world are are "original songs" going to be incorporated into this nonsensical garbage? UGH!!! They could do so much with this theme and this is what they come up with. I hope, for the sake of this poor ride, that WDI has used the time from when Splash was announced as closing to when TAB is slated for opening, to be developing some new AAs/tech to put into this ride....wait, I just realized what a farce that statement was!🙄

LittleBuford

It was only there to explain the flood. It's a flooded Chikapin hill.

Silly, but the right amount of whimsy for those who wonder why logs are floating from the Frontier mill through.

The Tiana situation is based directly to its source material of the TV series. Not really comparable to a backstory to the environment IMHO.
My point was that the backstory may not end up having much of an impact on one’s experience of the ride proper.

doctornick

Priced appropriately, it would be a great success. The reviews have been positive and there are many of us (myself included) who would jump at the opportunity to experience it if it weren’t so prohibitively expensive.

Yeah, I think overall the Starcruiser looks interesting and seems like a fun experience for those who have gone. But the price is just too steep for me - if it were maybe half or so of the cost we would definitely do it and I would image a lot of folks would as well.

But to me I think that's why it is salvageable even if bookings truly have dropped off (I haven't been following it) - just reduce the price, even if you do so through "discounts" to keep the rack rate the same.

celluloid

I'm genuinely curious how they plan to build up to the big drop with this story. None of the press materials so far mention it nor the thrill aspect at all, as opposed to the original Splash Mountain advertising which was ALL about the drop.

It even looks like the scene in the final lift hill is going to be a happy one with Mama Odie. They seem to want this to be a feel-good family ride, but uh, that whole "50-foot drop" thing is still going to be part of the experience. You don't wanna build up to it at all? Or acknowledge that some people will feel intimidated by it at all?

Mama Odie's magic to get you back to the bayou and out of where you are quickly.

"But Mama Odie, we don't have the missing ingrdient's yet"

"No time dear. Let me use my magic. Its plain and simple to see"

Drop.

Back in the dark ride finale scene with Paddle Boat. "The missing ingridient that matters is you." Don't matter what you look like reprise with altered lyrics for the ride.

drizgirl

So when they first announced the retheme of Splash, I was sad but ok and somewhat excited about TAB coming. Our family loves PaTF, especially the music. So when I read this "storyline" for TAB, I was SHOCKED at how stupidly bad it was! In fact, my DH made me stop reading it to him he was so disgusted with it. How in the world are are "original songs" going to be incorporated into this nonsensical garbage? UGH!!! They could do so much with this theme and this is what they come up with. I hope, for the sake of this poor ride, that WDI has used the time from when Splash was announced as closing to when TAB is slated for opening, to be developing some new AAs/tech to put into this ride....wait, I just realized what a farce that statement was!🙄
This is exactly where I am with all of it. I was sad to see Splash closing, but love PatF and looked forward to seeing it come to life. But with every new announcement I'm more and more disappointed.

Kirby86

Yeah the backstory for Splash is silly no argument there. It works for me though since the tone of the back story fits the ride. It's a bunch of critters fishing, singing, throwing a party ,etc so I can buy a racoon being a moonshiner and his still blowing up.

Tiana's backstory isn't working for me since I'm not getting a sense of fun out of it. A lot of it seems so disconnected from the ride it's information just for the sake of having it. Diving headfirst into the food co-op and how it's run is just an odd choice.

This isn't to say Tiana will be bad but the PR team isn't doing a swell job of trying to put their best foot forward.

LittleBuford

With all of this published. It is not really the backstory as much as THE story. I think that is the key difference, but here is to hoping.
As others have pointed out, the concept art of the ride itself points in a very different direction: singing animals, fireflies, magical lights at the top of the drop, etc. So it’s not farfetched to hope that it’s those elements, and not the ones laid out in the backstory, that will dominate the actual ride.

drizgirl

Mama Odie's magic to get you back to the bayou and out of where you are quickly.

"But Mama Odie, we don't have the missing ingrdient's yet"

"No time dear. Let me use my magic. Its plain and simple to see"

Drop.

Back in the dark ride finale scene with Paddle Boat. "The missing ingridient that matters is you." Don't matter what you look like reprise with altered lyrics for the ride.
How about some of Mama Odie's magic to bring Dr. Facilier back from the other side?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom