Gay Days

Scuttle

Ok I'm thinking of planning a trip june 3-6, but I know it's during gay days. What is gay days like? Do the gays have flags and all that over the top stuff or what? I know Disney does not advertise it or even acknowledge it, so I am curious to get some insider info.

Hot4Hudgens

I went during Gay Days a few years ago. Barely noticed the difference from the regular Summer crowds. Had no idea it was even GD until I noticed a group of people wearing shirts ahead of me in the Everest line.

Upvote 0

Rob562

The party at DHS has not been happening for years. There is a new party this year though at Epcot. It will be a tea dance on Sunday from 5-9 at Odyssey with viewing of Illuminations after.

I hadn't heard of the event at the Odyssey. That would be interesting... I know there's a bear group doing an Illuminations Dessert Party.

I could've sworn I saw that a group/promoter had picked up where the previous one left off with the private parties at the Studios. Or perhaps I'm just confusing it with the Typhoon Lagoon party.

EDIT: Looks like the big party is back this year, but it's been relocated to Universal.
I also didn't realize until just now that this year is the 20th Anniversary year for Gay Days.

-Rob

Upvote 0

MickeyPeace

I hadn't heard of the event at the Odyssey. That would be interesting... I know there's a bear group doing an Illuminations Dessert Party.

I could've sworn I saw that a group/promoter had picked up where the previous one left off with the private parties at the Studios. Or perhaps I'm just confusing it with the Typhoon Lagoon party.

-Rob

I haven't heard of the bear group at Illuminations! The event at the Odyssey is being held for the first time this year. Check out the Lets Go Play website. There is info about it there. It would be cool to see what the inside of that building looks like. Kind of an expensive ticket though at $80.

There hasn't been a party at the Studios for a number of years. Change is good. I like the idea of the tea dance at Epcot.

Upvote 0

MickeyPeace

EDIT: Looks like the big party is back this year, but it's been relocated to Universal.
I also didn't realize until just now that this year is the 20th Anniversary year for Gay Days.

-Rob

Yes Mark Baker came back as of last year. (Rumored because the last promoter didn't handle things well). He's moved all of his parties to Universal. He used to just do one at the Hard Rock. Not sure why he made that choice or if he'll be doing a party at Disney in the future.

I'm past the party phase and will just be going to the parks. Possibly I'll go to the Typhoon Lagoon and Epcot parties.

Are you going to be there?

Upvote 0

Rob562

Yes Mark Baker came back as of last year. (Rumored because the last promoter didn't handle things well). He's moved all of his parties to Universal. He used to just do one at the Hard Rock. Not sure why he made that choice or if he'll be doing a party at Disney in the future.

I'm past the party phase and will just be going to the parks. Possibly I'll go to the Typhoon Lagoon and Epcot parties.

Are you going to be there?

The Illuminations dessert party is through "Decadent Ducks", a group/travel agency. The event listing is at www.beardaze.com

I was at Gay Days in '07 and '09, and never did the big parties (not really a dance party kinda guy) so I didn't pay too close attention to things, but I do remember hearing about one of the promoters being refused bookings by Disney because of previous issues with payment.

I remember seeing the lighting setup for the Studios party in '07, can't remember if it was there in '09.

And yes, I'll be in WDW from 6/2 to 6/10. (One night at Pop, 7 nights at BCV) My friend and I are looking at this trip not as a Gay Days trip, but rather as a "trip that happens to partially be happening during Gay Days". We've been trying to plan a trip together the past 4 or 5 years for any time of the year, but one or the other of us has always had job, fiscal or scheduling issues. This year things finally lined up properly that we could both make the trip, and we decided on going during Gay Days. We'll be focusing on the theme parks, aren't planning on doing many specific events, not doing any of the parties, but we're also being flexible with our itinerary.

-Rob

Upvote 0

yensid67

A lot of families lean toward staying away on GAY DAYS, but they are like the rest of the guests. They have rules to follow too! If you have kids that are 12 or older, I would still go to the parks and enjoy it! There is nothing over the top with this group than any other group! Some might have the notion that there will be a lot of public affection, not true! These are families that are there for the same reason you are...to have a magical time! They are just more expressive! If you go, just be open mined enough to enjoy their diversity, its not easy being in the minority! If this is an issue for you, then I would suggest going to their website and figuring what days they are doing what park! Gays Days utilizes Universal, Sea World and WDW, so there should be manageable schedule for your trip should you try to avoid the days they are in each park! If you are not worried much about it...go and have fun they will show you a good time...you will laugh like you never laughed before!

Upvote 0

winstongator

My wife didn't even notice when we were there. I noticed the groups of 3-6, all guys, all wearing red shirts. Didn't take me long to figure out what the common link was. Did not impact our trip. I am glad that WDW is a welcoming place.

Upvote 0

winstongator

What's the percentage of red shirts at the chosen park during these events. 25%, 50%, 75% redshirts?
I take a fair number of pictures. Sometimes even catch a lot of the park in the background. Our trip coincided with Gay days in 2015 & 2016. Of the >100 pictures I have, not one group of red shirts. I'd say in a 90 min mine train line, you have about 500 guests waiting. Maybe 2-3 groups of say 5 guys each, putting it at the 5% mark. 10% would be my guess at an upper limit.

Upvote 0

yensid67

Will there be spontaneous signing of showtunes?
MAYBE, ya just never know with us!LOL!!!!;) We can break out in a round of showtunes anywhere! I HOPE PEOPLE ARE NOT SO CLOSED MINDED AND JUDGEMENTAL WHEN IT COMES TO GAY DAYS AND BEING AMONG OTHERS THAT ARE DIFFERENT! Most gay people are very respectful and nice to be around. It's not like what most think(or have thought of when Gays are mentioned) that they are WILD and out of control with sexual acts in public! The most you might see at Gay Days is 2 guys/girls kissing. And they have that right just as a str8 couple has the right to kiss in public. If anyone has any reservations with taking small children who don't understand and don't want to explain why a man is kissing another man, then I would steer clear of the parks when they are there! Disney does give you the choice the day of the event! They post signs at the TTC before you get to MK!

Upvote 0

yensid67

EVERYTHING YOU WANTED TO KNOW ABOUT GAY DAYS:

Host Hotel: Double Tree Sea World
Dates: May 29- June 3
Impacted Parks/Dates:
May 30- Wednesday- Hotel Activities
May 31- Thursday- Animal Kingdom , Sea World
June 1- Disney Hollywood Studios, Island of Adventure
June 2-Magic Kingdom, Universal Studios
June 3- Epcot, Discovery Cove

Not EVERYTHING but some good information if you are planning around those dates!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom