Gay Days

Scuttle

Ok I'm thinking of planning a trip june 3-6, but I know it's during gay days. What is gay days like? Do the gays have flags and all that over the top stuff or what? I know Disney does not advertise it or even acknowledge it, so I am curious to get some insider info.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
They're fine. Nothing "over the top" to be concerned with. Their website has s schedule of events and parks should you wish to avoid the festivities....

Upvote 0

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Ok I'm thinking of planning a trip june 3-6, but I know it's during gay days. What is gay days like? Do the gays have flags and all that over the top stuff or what? I know Disney does not advertise it or even acknowledge it, so I am curious to get some insider info.

Pretty much the same as any other day at Disney except that there are a lot of people wearing red.

Upvote 0

RonAnnArbor

Just a reminder that Walt Disney World is filled with gay and lesbian visitors and employees every single day of the year...in fact, the proportions are higher than you would ever imagine...Gay Days has specific events throughout the parks on given days/hours/times. You can get all the information from their website.

Unless you end up in one of the events (such as one of the Country Bear Jamboree shows announced in advance on their website during the "bear event") you won't notice the difference from any other visit. There are others that will go out of their way to ATTEND those events -- seriously, it is the funniest and most entertaining 20 minutes at Country Bear Jamboree that you would EVER experience. Would I take a 7 year old in? No.

As to "over the top" stuff -- YES, you will see lots of t-shirts and jewelry with rainbow flags on them. You will see a lot of men and women in red t-shirts. You will see groups of guys wearing t-shirts that say things like "Gay Days WDW 2011". If that bothers you, then you are out of luck. You are not going to see any "real" flags anywhere -- that is reserved for Pride parades and the like. People are concerned with the same things that YOU are....how do I get as much into my backpack as I can...how do I keep my dSLR dry while on Splash Mountain...where to I put my wallet while on the ride...

Will there be some idiots that go over the top? Yes, there will. Is it any different from any other day in an entertainment-based industry, no.

If you are concerned (and clearly you are, asking about it) then it is probably NOT the weekend you want to go to WDW. But in general, it is no different than any other day in the park. Just more of those folks are wearing red t-shirts instead of their everyday Disney-gear.

Upvote 0

captainkidd

It's just like being there with a large Brazilian Tour Group. But instead of a bunch people in yellow shirts with backpacks following someone with a flag, while chanting and singing Brazilian Top 40 at the top of their lungs, you have a bunch of guys in red shirts doing a synchronized dance while singing "It's raining men."

Upvote 0

misterID

I was only there during gay day once when I was a kid, and to be honest, I wouldn't have noticed if I didn't happen to read a woman's shirt that said, "I'm a lesbian." That's when I started noticing all the red shirts.

I think that was the first gay day and their shirts said, "Magic by Day and Pleasure By Night." I'm pretty sure Disney was upset with that and made them change it.

Upvote 0

righttrack

I've been there before, and really it was no big deal. Lots of adults, some with children too, but all there for Disney fun. I would say that given the season it was, it was a normal-sized crowd so nothing to avoid.

Upvote 0

donaldfan

I was only there during gay day once when I was a kid, and to be honest, I wouldn't have noticed if I didn't happen to read a woman's shirt that said, "I'm a lesbian." That's when I started noticing all the red shirts.

I think that was the first gay day and their shirts said, "Magic by Day and Pleasure By Night." I'm pretty sure Disney was upset with that and made them change it.

Pleasure = Pleaure Island . . . Disney does not make people change their shirts unless they are profane . . .

Upvote 0

Tigger1988

Magic Kingdom by day, Pleasure Island by night. The shirt would have to say something A LOT worse or infringe on copyrights for there to be any sort of issue.

Upvote 0

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Google is your friend....

The actual slogan was “A day of magic … a night of pleasure"

This came from a webpage entitled "Gay Day" at Disney World is EVIL so they too could have paraphrased for their own agenda. :shrug:

Actually, the slogan could have worked for many groups of people at WDW.

Upvote 0

plaz10

My sister is a teacher so our family went the first week in June because it was the soonest we could go that wasn't too deep into summer. We did not know it was Gay Days during that week. You can find the schedule online of which days coincide with with parks. We stayed clear just due to the larger crowds. Thats not to say we didn't see people wearing red. Definitely nothing over the top that we saw (but again we avoided the parks that were scheduled to have Gay Days that day) You see a few more rainbow pins, maybe. Nothing crazy. Honestly if it wasn't for the wearing red you would not even notice.

Upvote 0

minniemickeyfan

We tend to take a trip to Disney right after Memorial Day, so we have been during this time. Overall, I would say its just a large group wearing red shirts and no big deal. BUT, I have seen people wearing shirts that say very vulgar things and some with arrows (enough said) and Disney.. at least at the time I saw them.. had not made them change shirts yet. We just avoid MK that Saturday, nothing against anyone.

Upvote 0

powlessfamily4

I there last year during Gay Days... other then my husband wearing a red shirt because we didn't realize what was going, and him returning to the room to change, it was uneventful.

Upvote 0

moonchild925

while i haven't been during gay days since 2001 or so i'd just like to say that it shouldn't influence your trip whatsoever. In fact gay days are happening all over the world every day, not just the disney version. Having lived in new orleans during "decadence" and seen fantasy fest in key west, suffice it to say that wdw IS and always has been a family destination. There is no deviation from those values any day of the year. If it means anything, i'm a straight female from NY who does go adults only to wdw thus far as I have no children. But please relax, families of all types are welcome at wdw and the time has come to accept this.

Upvote 0

redshoesrock

As a former CM who worked quite a few Gay Days, I would wholeheartedly recommend going to the park with the "scheduled" Gay Day. There are a lot of families that avoid the Gay Day park of the day, and I can give first-hand testimony that the less small children running around, yelling, screaming, and melting down, the more rational adults there are which makes everything run smoother. Gay Days were hands down no question the easiest days of the year I ever worked. You'll see a lot of red shirts, but you'll also find the crowds to be full of polite, easy-going people. Something that I can't always say when Mom and Dad are on their last leg when Johnny and Susie are running around melting down. Not to mention significantly less strollers to have to walk around or not bump into. I know the Entertainment CMs love Gay Days if for no other reason than the crowds really get excited about the shows and parades instead of just sitting or standing there like dead fish.

Upvote 0

AEfx

I almost didn't want to open the thread as it had so many replies and I feared the worst because at some sites...well, I'm just glad to say I was wrong and silly to think that. :)

As everyone has said, you wouldn't even know unless, you already knew, most of the time. I'm gay and the first time I was at a park during Gay Days I had no idea - I just saw a lot of happy people with red shirts on. :)

As to the occasional person with an off-color shirt, you'll find it very rare because most people who go are as respectful as possible to avoid the negative perceptions, and I've seen far, far more offensive shirts on straight (presumably, with wife/kids) guests regarding sexuality than I have ever seen during Gay Days. Just like *any* guest with an offensive shirt - report it to a CM, they are not allowed.

Hope you have a good trip!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom