Gay Days

Scuttle

Ok I'm thinking of planning a trip june 3-6, but I know it's during gay days. What is gay days like? Do the gays have flags and all that over the top stuff or what? I know Disney does not advertise it or even acknowledge it, so I am curious to get some insider info.

Rose99

It's just like being there with a large Brazilian Tour Group. But instead of a bunch people in yellow shirts with backpacks following someone with a flag, while chanting and singing Brazilian Top 40 at the top of their lungs, you have a bunch of guys in red shirts doing a synchronized dance while singing "It's raining men."

:eek::ROFLOL::ROFLOL::ROFLOL::eek:

Upvote 0

captainkidd

I've said this before - I have no problem with any race, creed, sexual preference, religion, etc (except Brazilian Tour Groups :mad:). However, I'll never for the life of me understand the point of gathering in a public place to show who you are to others . As long as you are comfortable in your own skin, who gives a crap what anyone else thinks?

I can ALMOST understand Night Of Joy as this is a Disney sponsored event and there are special events taking place. But to want to make a point of saying "I'm gay", "I'm Catholic", "I'm Jewish", "I'm white", "I'm black" - It just doesn't make sense to me. Just be human.

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I there last year during Gay Days... other then my husband wearing a red shirt because we didn't realize what was going, and him returning to the room to change, it was uneventful.
We are often there during gay days due to it coinciding with SWW. A few years ago the wife decided to have a little fun at my expense and packed nothing but red shirts for me.

Upvote 0

Pioneer Hall

I've said this before - I have no problem with any race, creed, sexual preference, religion, etc (except Brazilian Tour Groups :mad:). However, I'll never for the life of me understand the point of gathering in a public place to show who you are to others . As long as you are comfortable in your own skin, who gives a crap what anyone else thinks?

I can ALMOST understand Night Of Joy as this is a Disney sponsored event and there are special events taking place. But to want to make a point of saying "I'm gay", "I'm Catholic", "I'm Jewish", "I'm white", "I'm black" - It just doesn't make sense to me. Just be human.

But people often look to associate with people thay they are like minded with. I don't think it is a matter of getting out there and shouting out "I'm this or that" but more of an opportunity to get together for a good time in a different place with people that share a common interest. It's no different than signing your child up for a church or temple group and having them interact with similar kids and take trips with them...it starts young and for many people continues into adulthood. I mean if we were to have a WDWMagic get together would that really scream "I'm a big Disney fan" or would it give you the chance to meet and have fun with people who have a similar interest?

Upvote 0

captainkidd

But people often look to associate with people thay they are like minded with. I don't think it is a matter of getting out there and shouting out "I'm this or that" but more of an opportunity to get together for a good time in a different place with people that share a common interest. It's no different than signing your child up for a church or temple group and having them interact with similar kids and take trips with them...it starts young and for many people continues into adulthood. I mean if we were to have a WDWMagic get together would that really scream "I'm a big Disney fan" or would it give you the chance to meet and have fun with people who have a similar interest?

I guess so. I don't know. I grew up as a minority in my town and the last thing I wanted was to shout out to the world that I was different. Probably more my insecurity than anything else.

Upvote 0

Lynne M

But to want to make a point of saying "I'm gay", "I'm Catholic", "I'm Jewish", "I'm white", "I'm black" - It just doesn't make sense to me. Just be human.

Because they're not there to shout "I'm gay". It's not about making a statement, it's about enjoying WDW with your friends and family. It's natural for people to want to gather with those they have something in common with.

Same reason the pin traders have gatherings at WDW, and fans of Christian music have gatherings, and the Star Wars fans have gatherings. :)

Upvote 0

Tigger1988

Because they're not there to shout "I'm gay". It's not about making a statement, it's about enjoying WDW with your friends and family. It's natural for people to want to gather with those they have something in common with.

Same reason the pin traders have gatherings at WDW, and fans of Christian music have gatherings, and the Star Wars fans have gatherings. :)

Exactly.

Upvote 0

menamechris

Extremely well said. And what I think a lot of people don't realize is that Gay Days is an even bigger event than the examples you gave. People from all over the world gather in Central Florida for that week - and it has become very important - it literally pumps BILLIONS of dollars into the Orlando tourism industry in just that week alone.

Upvote 0

thewhitequeen

If you are homophobic person (not you in particular OP, a general you) a Disney vacation should be crossed off the list of vacation destination. There are many gay performers and cast members who work there every single day. The idea that people are scared or frightened to be around a group of gay people is just strange to me.

Upvote 0

menamechris

Then why the red shirts? And it's not as if they can't go any time that they want to.

Well, are you a churchgoer? Why go to church at the same time as your fellow parishoners? Because you know it will give you an opportunity to socialize and celebrate specifically with members of your faith and parish.

Also, there are events all over Orlando and Central Florida during that week to celebrate Gay Days. So if you were going to plan a trip - why not go when there will be several things inside and outside of Disney that you would like to do? Would make the trip a little more worth it, right?

Upvote 0

captainkidd

The same reason I've seen groups of people wearing matching shirts for family reunions, school groups, WDW fan website meet ups and just about every other gathering ever held within the parks (official or otherwise).

I think those groups are doing it to either stand out or not lose one another.

Upvote 0

captainkidd

Well, are you a churchgoer? Why go to church at the same time as your fellow parishoners? Because you know it will give you an opportunity to socialize and celebrate specifically with members of your faith and parish.

Also, there are events all over Orlando and Central Florida during that week to celebrate Gay Days. So if you were going to plan a trip - why not go when there will be several things inside and outside of Disney that you would like to do? Would make the trip a little more worth it, right?

I'm not. I'm Jewish.:animwink:

But I get your point. I don't go to temple though. But that's simply because I don't enjoy it. I don't see the point in going to church or temple unless you enjoy it.

I have absolutely no problem with gay days at all. I totally get why they go. I just never understand any group of any kind who has ever been persecuted for being "different" wanting to point that out. Gay, straight, black, white - We're all the same inside.

I know I'm in the minority (no pun intended) on this. I grew up in a very racist high school and did whatever I could to hide the fact that I was Jewish. It's sad, but it's the way it was.

Upvote 0

Lynne M

Then why the red shirts? And it's not as if they can't go any time that they want to.

Same reason any group wears matching shirts at WDW. You're there for a gathering, you want to let other people who are attending the gathering know that you're part of the group, too. Brazilian tour groups, people who are attending a meetup for collectors of Disney memorabilia, DVC members, school sports teams, cheerleaders, family reunions, you name it.

And I know Disney collectors who can and do go to the parks any time they want to. But sometimes, it's nice to go to a collectors meetup and spend time with other people they have something in common with.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom