Gay Days At WDW

Status
Not open for further replies.

HokieDevil

I was looking at going to WDW with my neice and nephews over the summer but I did see that that time we are able to go coincides with the gay days at the park. I was wondering if anyone has any advice around what the park is like during this event. I myself am gay but this event has always seemed to be more of the negative stereotype associated with the community than the circle of friends I keep. My neice and nephews are 7 and the twins are 5. I wouldn't want to take them to Halsted St here in Chicago and wonder what the atmosphere at the parks and especially hotels are like. Thank you.

G00fyDad

Quite frankly I've seen couples (straight) who seriously need to get a room and some women who look like they came directly from their street walking job to the park. There's no hold on tacky, irresponsible or embarrassing behavior on one group of people, lol. :p

Well said. :wave: :sohappy:

Upvote 0

SyracuseOrange

I went back in 2000 unknowingly and have to disagree. There were many gay people who used it as an opportunity to throw it in other people's face. People wearing "I can't even think straight" shirts for example. "Disney Gay Day" was another t-shirt. There were lots of making out too. I don't care if someone is gay, but there are alot of children around. When it's me and my wife I save that stuff for the room.

I see straight people making out at the park all the time...what's the difference?

I've never understood Gay Days. I have nothing against gay people, but I don't understand the need to announce to the world your sexual preference. Who cares? I like women, but I don't feel the need to wear a shirt letting everyone I do. It's not like showing your support of a sports team or a band that you like.

Sexual, religious and political views, in my opinion, have no place in a place like Disney World. Believe what you want to believe, but keep it to yourself.

Again, I see men wearing shirts with comments about women, or a picture of a hot woman or something - what's the difference?

A friend of mine and her family went unknowingly during that time and she was nervous because she didn't know what to expect and her kids were small. I asked her how it was when she got back and she said the only difference you could tell was a lot of red shirts. The most disturbing thing she saw was a fairly large man with a tutu on and Minnie Mouse ears.

Quite frankly I've seen couples (straight) who seriously need to get a room and some women who look like they came directly from their street walking job to the park. There's no hold on tacky, irresponsible or embarrassing behavior on one group of people, lol. :p

This. Straight people at the park are more obnoxious because they feel no need to filter their behaviour. If they want to do PDA, they do it. People just feel the need to comment when two men/two women do it, but really, I find that straight teenagers are the worst offenders.

Upvote 0

yensid67

I was looking at going to WDW with my neice and nephews over the summer but I did see that that time we are able to go coincides with the gay days at the park. I was wondering if anyone has any advice around what the park is like during this event. I myself am gay but this event has always seemed to be more of the negative stereotype associated with the community than the circle of friends I keep. My neice and nephews are 7 and the twins are 5. I wouldn't want to take them to Halsted St here in Chicago and wonder what the atmosphere at the parks and especially hotels are like. Thank you.

Gay Days at The Magic Kingdom are ONLY on Saturday June 2nd...usually. If you are unsure just ask in here and you will get a slew of posts regarding Gay Days in Orlando, thats the official title not, Gay Days at Disney. They do ALL the local parks, Magic Kingdom just happens to be scheduled for Saturday of the weekend! If you want to research information on your own, just do a net search on Gays Days Orlando, it should take you right to their website so you can see if there are or will be any conflicts with your schedule

Upvote 0

yensid67

I see that kind of stuff during October in WDW. That's nothing. And of course you're going to have the ones who automatically assume that everyone hates them for being gay so they will throw it in your face (metaphorically speaking :lookaroun) and dare you to say anything. I see that crap out here at 4th Street Live in Louisville, KY all the time. They do things like that and wait to see if you are going to be "disgusted" by it. I just laugh, which es them off even more. My cousin and his partner are the ones who get ed when they see them doing that sort of thing. It looks bad and gives a bat reputation. You don't have to go to Gay Days in WDW to see that. Stop looking for it if it upsets you. :wave:

I understand your position, BUT if all the world were Gay, then the things you do as a straight man/woman would discust they gay common world! God did not tell who to love but to love everyone! I will agree that SOME gays take the 'freedom' a little too far and need to control themselves! Most straight people think that all gays like to make a public specticle of themselves in times like these, but as a GAY MAN, I am even cringe when I see public affection like this, be it straight or gay. a simple kiss on the cheeck is acceptable during Gay Days, but nothing more! But if you happen to be going to MK the same day as Gay Day at The Magic Kingdom, YOU HAVE THE CHOICE to go to another park for that ONE DAY! Disney DOES posts signs at TTC letting you know about the event, so you can decide before you get to MK.

I worked Gay Day 1999 at MK, those participating had enough respect for those not participating. Every one just needs to be respectful of one another! This could be as teaching experience for TEENAGERS...to treat everyone the same and to embrace diversity in life! The Teens are the ones who can accpet it, its the parents that cannot! Teenagers face this kind of stuff in high school and maybe even middle school nowadays!? We, as adults, need to 'be hip' with different people living a different way. If you are catholic, you don't stop associating with those of a different religion or belief do you? So whats the difference here? NONE!

Upvote 0

HookEmHorns

I have been to Disney World during gay days twice, never on purpose and the only thing that makes the gay days stand out is the day when they (the organized gay attendee's that is.) all wear red. There was nothing offensive to me, though I am pro gay rights, and it didn't affect my family's vacation at all! Great time to be a Disney, as is any time of the year!

Upvote 0

fdcfjj

If you are worried about it, then just go another time. I agree that people need to leave their political, religious and sexual preference out of the park. It is where we are all equal and we are leaving the real world behind...for a little while at least.

Upvote 0

spock

Didn't you find it odd that most people chose to wear red on the same day? :lol:

What's funny is I do remember noticing a lot of people wearing red that day, but at the time I didn't know what that meant (I found out the next day when I read the story in the newspaper).

Upvote 0

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
It is my understanding that Gay Days have become far more tame over the years.

We were unaware of the days in 1997, we were on a two week trip and it fell in the second half. We were left a notice by Dixie Landing staff on the table in our room the day before the invasion into the Magic Kingdom. It did suggest we pick a different park that day because of crowds anticipated. Unfortunately we had specific plans that day and little notice to rework those plans so we went. The only hint before the notice was given was the vast amount of men alone in groups. Chef Mickey Character Breakfast was filled with tables and tables of men of all ages. It still wasn't sinking in. lol. And an invasion it was. We tripped across many, many inappropriate behaviors by men. I define that as any acts of grandstanding affection that should not take place by any couples, no matter what their preference is, in a public place, especially the Magic Kingdom. Disney "suits" were everywhere and wired with radios.

I was with my family, DH, DD5 and DS 9. I eventually had to pull my son over by the Shooting Gallery and give him a heads up as to what was happening before his eyes. Young enough to be naive and yet old enough to start to question the "guys" behavior. I pulled him aside after a man in a queue separated his grass skirt at my sons eye level. I thought my DH was going to deck the dude. We were relatively certain alcohol was involved.

And if you noticed I kept speaking of the guys. We saw so many ladies that were couples but their behavior was very different than so many of the male couples we encountered. For whatever reason, they seemed to have left the affection checked at the resorts.

I am a believer in live and let live, but back in the day of small children at the MK in tow, it was a very difficult day which we cut short. I never imagined being somewhat forced to have a conversation with my 9 year old that I wasn't anticipating in the MK at the age of 9. It was annoying to be forced out of the MK by the over the top behavior.

I wasn't able to wrap my brain around the need to assemble in masses in the MK to highlight personal preferences. That year, it was obvious many needed and craved attention. I guess I still have trouble understanding the need for the special attention some adult folks need to drawn to their personal preferences.

We have not been back for Gay Days, doubt I would, though I've heard it has toned down substantially. It was just a very awkward day.

Upvote 0

Billy6

For a few years in a row, my family's annual June trip coincided with Gay week. One year, no problems, the next, i saw some very offensive stuff..

As some said, things can get pretty obnoxious but for the most part, its not bad at all..one year, my dad and I had a long conversation about our favorite restaurants around WDW with a man and his partner during the parade...

With the good, you get the bad too....

Upvote 0

spock

I've never understood Gay Days. I have nothing against gay people, but I don't understand the need to announce to the world your sexual preference. Who cares? I like women, but I don't feel the need to wear a shirt letting everyone I do. It's not like showing your support of a sports team or a band that you like.

Sexual, religious and political views, in my opinion, have no place in a place like Disney World. Believe what you want to believe, but keep it to yourself.

I hear what you're saying and to some extent agree (at least with the part about sexual, religious and political views having no place in the parks). Being gay, though, isn't a "view" that someone has. They just ARE gay. They're not expressing their opinion about it, they're expressing that they are proud of who they are. As a straight man, I've never felt compelled to announce to the world that I'm straight. However, I've also never been a target of bigotry or discrimination based on the fact that I'm straight. And I've never been made to feel as though being straight is something I need to hide or be ashamed of. I know that many gay people have. So when they participate in events such as this, as well as gay pride parades, etc., I really don't think it's intended to annoy people or make them uncomfortable. I think it's just their way of saying they are proud of who they are by not hiding it. To some, I can understand why it might seem like the gay community is undermining it's own cause with what many refer to as "in your face" tactics. But again, I really don't think that's the point of it.

Not sure if that made any sense, but hopefully it did, and please know it wasn't meant to be divisive or offend anyone. :wave:

Upvote 0

BrittanyRose428

I have seen many a straight people close to getting their mack on at WDW. Last August, I saw two young adults dry-humping in the Drawing Room at BCV. That is just one example.

So, let's not act like lasciviousness is the sole provenance of the LGBT community, k?
This ^^. I hate when people get ticked off at a gay or lesbian couple doing some excessive PDA. I don't care who the people are doing it, PDA overloads are just unwanted to begin with.

As for the days themselves, I've never been, but if I haven't heard anything about it I assume it wouldn't be much different than any other day, just a lot of people wearing the same colored shirts.

Upvote 0

pintraderpayee

Every year I buy an Unofficial Guide to WDW at Barnes and Noble. I have noticed that in the last couple of years they have started carrying the book Queens in the Kingdom and one other book geared toward homosexual park visitors. You might take a look and see if they are helpful. I use the info in the Unofficial Guides as my WDW "Bible" lol Hope you and your neice and nephews have a magical vacation!

Proud parent of a Spring Advantage CPCM:sohappy:

Upvote 0

SMS55

They're not expressing their opinion about it, they're expressing that they are proud of who they are. As a straight man, I've never felt compelled to announce to the world that I'm straight.

I agree with you in not announcing it, which is why it bothered me when I went. It was not the right place for it. All the shirts announcing it, and the groping and making out was inappropriate for a famly enviroment. If it was Pleasure Island I am more likely to defend their right or any other adult's right because PI is a more adult oriented location. If you want to descend on Disney like a band of Brazilian tourists, knock yourself out and if it is much more tame now, then I am cool with it, but what I saw back in 2000 simply crossed the line. Like I said earlier, I've been to Disney before with just my wife and before that with other ex-girlfriends. We were always mindful of the fact we were around children and waited til we got back to our room for adult behavior. Well maybe in a dark ride a hand wandered :D.

Upvote 0

menamechris

I will never forget - a few of years ago...there was a local news crew in the Magic Kingdom to cover the Gay Days event. Recognizing the news reporter...my friend and I went up and introduced ourselves to her and made some small talk. As we were about to leave, she asked that he and I (we were not a couple) to hold hands and walk up Main Street, U.S.A., because they needed a footage shot that they could use every year when they did the story on the news - and they were having trouble finding anything out of the ordinary to film....go figure.

As acceptance and tolerance has spread...the "out there" behavior has tapered off. For the most part, most gay people don't feel the need to scream "We are here and will be accepted!" anymore. Now it is just a fun social event, and an excuse for many people to make an annual trip with their families and friends to Orlando. I know people who meet up with friends from all over the country every year during gay days. It's a good thing for the gay community, it is great for Disney, and it is even better for the City of Orlando. Gay Days contributes up to a $100 million dollars every year to Orlando's economy. That's big business...

Upvote 0

disneyrcks

Nice article.

I don't think you're wrong. I just don't happen to be big on self-expression of sexual, political and religious views inside of an amusement park. Personally, I don't see the need for it anywhere. Be who you are, believe what you believe, and leave it at that. That's just me.

I hear where you are coming from but when you are discriminated against for being who you are the best thing to do is raise awareness by expressing yourself. Unfortunately, people do not want people to believe in or be anything they are uncomfortable with. We can't leave it at that.

We were there last year and it was completely fine. We didn't see anything inappropriate. Just people enjoying themselves with their loved ones at the parks.

Upvote 0

redshoesrock

I'll tell you this - having worked Gay Days for a number of years, and having seen quite a bit over the years...I'll take the red shirts over the Brazilian tour groups any day of the week. ANY day.

Upvote 0

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I agree with you in not announcing it, which is why it bothered me when I went. It was not the right place for it. All the shirts announcing it, and the groping and making out was inappropriate for a famly enviroment. If it was Pleasure Island I am more likely to defend their right or any other adult's right because PI is a more adult oriented location. If you want to descend on Disney like a band of Brazilian tourists, knock yourself out and if it is much more tame now, then I am cool with it, but what I saw back in 2000 simply crossed the line. Like I said earlier, I've been to Disney before with just my wife and before that with other ex-girlfriends. We were always mindful of the fact we were around children and waited til we got back to our room for adult behavior. Well maybe in a dark ride a hand wandered :D.
I have seen worse shirts worn by prepubescent girls claiming to be a "HOTTIE" that are in far worse taste.

I'll tell you this - having worked Gay Days for a number of years, and having seen quite a bit over the years...I'll take the red shirts over the Brazilian tour groups any day of the week. ANY day.

Now that is a totally different thread! :lol:

BTW: I do believe this may be a record for this site as far as how mature everyone has been before fire and brimstone closes the thread.

Most threads on this subject get closed VERY quickly. :shrug:

If only we could all be so amicable on all threads. :wave:

Upvote 0

wilkeliza

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Gay Days. Go and enjoy yourself. Also if you are gay you should feel a need to lie to your niece and nephew about it. On any other given day of the year they would be faced with inappropriate shirts from straight men and women, scantily clad women, and straight couples making out. If you don't think you need to explain those to them then why worry about a gay couple. I couldn't tell you how many beer belly's I would see during Extra Magic Hours in July or how many girls wearing nothing more than swim tops and daisy dukes.

For the people that feel like they saw much more inappropriateness during these days of the years it is because you were looking for it or thought it was inappropriate. I couldn't tell you how many straight couples I have see in the park that are acting inappropriate in front of their own children. I think the most inappropriate thing I saw was a woman breast feeding her child in the line for Mickey Mouse at Main Street Theater. I have no problem with breast feeding or even breast feeding in public but I shouldn't have to cover the nephews eyes because a woman has her whole breast out for the world to see and justifies it because she is breast feeding. They make very light weight breathable covers just for that sake but she wasn't using one. How is that act not lude and uncalled for but two men holding hands is? Also with the shirt issue I have seen far worse shirts on straight men in Disney. Problem is most people over look them and crack jokes because it is a straight man. Also if having shirts that proclaims someone is proud of who they are is wrong then maybe Disney shouldn't allow all the shirts with Bible versus and the corny Christian sayings on them. Why does someone shirt need to preach a message while they are in a theme park that is suppose to be inclusive to all?

Also this isn't a Disney sponsored event. It is a private group that sets up Gay Days and encourages LGBT families to come to the parks during those weeks because other LGBT families would be there. I know if my family was constantly told they don't have a real family or that they are unwanted that I would want to go during a year where I know I won't get questioned and my kids won't get made fun of.

So heres a question for those of you that are against Gay Days would you think it was better if Disney made this like Grad night where the park was only open to LGBT people or would that be inappropriate as well?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom