Gay Days At WDW

Status
Not open for further replies.

HokieDevil

I was looking at going to WDW with my neice and nephews over the summer but I did see that that time we are able to go coincides with the gay days at the park. I was wondering if anyone has any advice around what the park is like during this event. I myself am gay but this event has always seemed to be more of the negative stereotype associated with the community than the circle of friends I keep. My neice and nephews are 7 and the twins are 5. I wouldn't want to take them to Halsted St here in Chicago and wonder what the atmosphere at the parks and especially hotels are like. Thank you.

captainkidd

I've never had the junk to say this, but I've always believed this for all minorities and alternative groups. If everyone wants to be equal, we should just all behave equally and blend in.

No need for shirts or parties. No need for special months or events. Just be who you are, run with the crowds, and eventually (I believe) things will work themselves out naturally.

Bringing attention to yourself just further heightens awareness....and unfortunately, most of that awareness bring to mind the negative stereotypes rather than the "we're the same as you" message that all the groups want to get out.

Instead of the "We're Here and We're [derogatory word deleted]" method, why not just have the parties off-site (like they do) and then just blend in at the parks, without all the fanfare?

I agree with this 100%.

Upvote 0

MickeyPeace

As for Disney being the place that the action takes place, I agree it's not the most effective. Yet if you think about it, it is partially effective because it brings the debate of gay rights to a group of people who don't deal with it on a regular basis. What I mean is that unless you live in an urban environment, you don't deal with gay pride on a regular basis.
I remember I lived on the outskirts of a city and not near any place where things like this occurred, when I visited Disney World I was okay with this because of my political beliefs but still in shock because I had never seen such a massive group of gays gathering to show unity.

So in a way, they are definitely getting the attention necessary for the end goal of drawing it and demanding respect. The only negative I see here for anyone is those who are not tolerant of the gay community and their political movement demanding rights and their belief that the gay communities presence at the parks ruins their trip.

Anyone who is not tolerant probably has a lot of ruined experiences that they are creating. Its their issue and no one else's.

Upvote 0

MickeyPeace

And probably time to close this thread soon as true colors of hatred are starting to emerge!

Bye everyone!

See you Gay Days week. I'll be at Saratoga Springs. xo

Upvote 0

Tom

Beta Return
I repeat. The pic posted of One Magical Weekend is not a Disney event. Sorry to take the air out of your balloon. Straights go to clubs and party too. Scandalous!!

I suggest going and have fun or stay home and focus on things you can control. Welcome to the boards Tim 4!

I understand how the event works, and I know it takes place off site. But I will repeat that when I first experienced the in-park gatherings, it was not what I considered to be an appropriate display of "pride". It was as if the previous night's off-site events carried over into those guests' behavior in the parks.

Yeah, I read your experience and was shocked to hear that occurred but I am happy to report that from my past two experiences visiting during this time, it was quite toned compared to your experience. The only display of anything for gay pride was the holding of hands and embracing and there were no extreme clothing choices or offensive gestures.
:shrug:

Yup, much better now. Those early days are indeed what gave the event it's bad rap.

This past week, I know there were hundreds of gay people in the parks - both as guests and as CMs. And guess what...I don't care! I'm not offended by them. I don't judge them. Sometimes I will giggle at how flamboyant some of them can be (you gotta give me that, lol). But when it comes to CMs, gays make some of the best! And the gay guests - they behaved better than most of the straight people....and FAR better than the tour groups.

It's when you get a group en mass - that's when things get out of hand. Mob mentality overrules, and it's not just Gay Gays - it's any event. Cheerleading, Youth Sports, Music Days, Grad Nights, Night of Joy, etc.

In my opinion, messages and statements should be checked at the gate - no matter who you are. Just come to Disney World, follow the rules, be yourself, and enjoy it with everyone else.

Upvote 0

Tom

Beta Return
And probably time to close this thread soon as true colors of hatred are starting to emerge!

Bye everyone!

See you Gay Days week. I'll be at Saratoga Springs. xo

I honestly have seen no display of hatred in this thread, which probably explains why it's still open.

Everyone is making factual statements, and nobody is stereotyping the gay community or making prejudiced comments.

Whether I condone, or do not condone, the GLBT lifestyle is irrelevant. Making statements and behaving outside the norm of how one would behave in the real world is the only issue I have....and that goes for ANY group.

Upvote 0

draybook

I repeat. The pic posted of One Magical Weekend is not a Disney event. Sorry to take the air out of your balloon. Straights go to clubs and party too. Scandalous!!

I suggest going and have fun or stay home and focus on things you can control. Welcome to the boards Tim 4!

I didn't say nor did I suggest that these events happened on Disney property. I'm simply illustrating that there's a major difference between the average gay WDW guest and the official organizers of this event.

And the "Surrender the Booty" t-shirts WILL be worn at WDW. I really doubt you'd try to deny that that's blatant innuendo deliberately designed to offend people.

Upvote 0

HokieDevil

Original Poster
I appreciate all the different view points that are being expressed here on the impact it could have on my trip with the kiddies. From what I've gathered the parks are just other gay families and couples holding hands. I doubt Disney would allow a guest to wear offensive clothing and ask them to change or wear it inside out. If memory serves me correctly they did this in the past with a guest wearing a shirt.

I'm not a gay man that has an interest in raves, nightclubs or cruises. I don't participate in that lifestyle and certainly am not interested in explaing that to the kids with me, but from what I'm hearing hand holding is about as bad as it gets, and don't dress any of us in red shirts. Thank you so much for your input around this trip.

Upvote 0

MickeyPeace

I honestly have seen no display of hatred in this thread, which probably explains why it's still open.

Everyone is making factual statements, and nobody is stereotyping the gay community or making prejudiced comments.

Whether I condone, or do not condone, the GLBT lifestyle is irrelevant. Making statements and behaving outside the norm of how one would behave in the real world is the only issue I have....and that goes for ANY group.

Thanks for that. If you are being honest, great. And your beliefs also apply to the moms with strollers being obnoxious, straights holding hands and making out etc. Cool.

Upvote 0

HookEmHorns

I appreciate all the different view points that are being expressed here on the impact it could have on my trip with the kiddies. From what I've gathered the parks are just other gay families and couples holding hands. I doubt Disney would allow a guest to wear offensive clothing and ask them to change or wear it inside out. If memory serves me correctly they did this in the past with a guest wearing a shirt.

I'm not a gay man that has an interest in raves, nightclubs or cruises. I don't participate in that lifestyle and certainly am not interested in explaing that to the kids with me, but from what I'm hearing hand holding is about as bad as it gets, and don't dress any of us in red shirts. Thank you so much for your input around this trip.

Don't quote me but I think Red shirts are for one day and the other days are other shirt colors.

Upvote 0

draybook

I don't drink. I also don't have a conflict of ideals. I do not support homosexuality. That being said, I have no problems with these events or people that are homosexual. I can also say that I have not witnessed any lude behavior at WDW from said group. I've seen it at other places, but that comes with any group of people. I don't care what people are, at WDW I'm just there for family time.

Upvote 0

MickeyPeace

I don't drink. I also don't have a conflict of ideals. I do not support homosexuality. That being said, I have no problems with these events or people that are homosexual. I can also say that I have not witnessed any lude behavior at WDW from said group. I've seen it at other places, but that comes with any group of people. I don't care what people are, at WDW I'm just there for family time.

Ok coffee. Homosexuality is not an issue that is up for support. It exists and is not in your control.

Family time includes gays.

The offer stands for coffee.

Upvote 0

draybook

Ok coffee. Homosexuality is not an issue that is up for support. It exists and is not in your control.

Family time includes gays.

The offer stands for coffee.

I understand that you seem to want to argue just for the sake of it, but I really don't see the point. I don't drink coffee either, bad for the body and teeth.

Ok, I'll give. Homosexuality IS up for "support". Ever heard of the gay marriage ban? Thus it can be "controlled" by people.

My family does not include homosexuality in our time together. That's just our preference, nothing against those who do include it.

Upvote 0

DisneyDebNJ

How people choose to live their lives, is THEIR business, I don't judge ANYONE by their choices in THEIR lives. Give me a break ... I have seen more displays of pulbic affection from straight, UNDER 21 individuals than from gay couples. To even suggest just because a couple lives an alternate lifestyle, is disrepectful is a shame. Not ONCE have I ever seen a gay couple act inappropriately, other than see one young man propose to another, and it was magical. God Bless them, and get this....... I was with my son!!! He congratulated the couple too!!! I did not raise my son to be judgemental or homophobic, it is what it is folks, despite some small worlds, we all spin around on the same big, beautiful marble. IF you see inappropriate behavior, look for a CM, ask, kindly (if you dare) that they calm their passions down. Anyone acting in a disrespectful manner (gay, straight, etc) SHOULD keep their behavior in check. For the record, I am a straight woman, who believes EVERYONE has the right to live their lives the way THEY see fit. For heaven's sake, it's vacation folks!!! So go, have a good time, enjoy your company, and make memories!!!!!!! :sohappy:

Upvote 0

MickeyPeace

I understand that you seem to want to argue just for the sake of it, but I really don't see the point. I don't drink coffee either, bad for the body and teeth.

Ok, I'll give. Homosexuality IS up for "support". Ever heard of the gay marriage ban? Thus it can be "controlled" by people.

My family does not include homosexuality in our time together. That's just our preference, nothing against those who do include it.

I'm not arguing at all. I offered to buy you coffee.

It's marriage equality, not gay marriage. While that is up for "support", homosexuality is not.

You can not control those around you. I know that must be very frustrating to you.

Upvote 0

MickeyPeace

How people choose to live their lives, is THEIR business, I don't judge ANYONE by their choices in THEIR lives. Give me a break ... I have seen more displays of pulbic affection from straight, UNDER 21 individuals than from gay couples. To even suggest just because a couple lives an alternate lifestyle, is disrepectful is a shame. Not ONCE have I ever seen a gay couple act inappropriately, other than see one young man propose to another, and it was magical. God Bless them, and get this....... I was with my son!!! He congratulated the couple too!!! I did not raise my son to be judgemental or homophobic, it is what it is folks, despite some small worlds, we all spin around on the same big, beautiful marble. IF you see inappropriate behavior, look for a CM, ask, kindly (if you dare) that they calm their passions down. Anyone acting in a disrespectful manner (gay, straight, etc) SHOULD keep their behavior in check. For the record, I am a straight woman, who believes EVERYONE has the right to live their lives the way THEY see fit. For heaven's sake, it's vacation folks!!! So go, have a good time, enjoy your company, and make memories!!!!!!! :sohappy:

Deb you are awesome. Your kids are too. They must be so proud of their mom. Happy Mothers Day Deb!

Upvote 0

G00fyDad

Wow. An example of how a simple question can spark such feelings. :eek: Point is, you can go to Gay Days at Disney without really noticing much. It's not like they're checking for your Gay Community Identification Card at the gate. LOL Just go and have a good time. It's almost like going during any other mass get together held at WDW.

And to those that have a problem with the way people live their lives... straighten up. It's not your life and it doesn't affect you one bit. :wave:

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom