Gay Days At WDW

Status
Not open for further replies.

HokieDevil

I was looking at going to WDW with my neice and nephews over the summer but I did see that that time we are able to go coincides with the gay days at the park. I was wondering if anyone has any advice around what the park is like during this event. I myself am gay but this event has always seemed to be more of the negative stereotype associated with the community than the circle of friends I keep. My neice and nephews are 7 and the twins are 5. I wouldn't want to take them to Halsted St here in Chicago and wonder what the atmosphere at the parks and especially hotels are like. Thank you.

I_heart_Tigger

I have always felt that Gay days is important in the LBGT community because these families get comments, looks and general rude and ignorant viewpoints in their homes, their schools, their jobs. I'm not saying it always happens but it happens often enough that all of my gay friends can list off times when they have been made to feel that being gay is wrong, evil, a sin...whatever term you want to use.

Letting them have a day where they feel pride isn't an issue for me - it doesn't effect me in the least and as I've said previously 7 years of vacationing and working during Gay days and I have never seen any behaviour worse that any other day....in fact working there is awesome because there are fewer incidents of drunk and disorderly and servers get better tips (at least in 96-97 this was true and from what I hear from my friends working there 2008-2011 was the same).

As I've mentioned before if you want to see loud, rude, obnoxious people wearing matching shirts or shirts with sexually explicit sayings not to mention incredibly innapropriate (revealing) clothing taking over the park, using the foulest language ever and performing more explicit acts in pubic - come down when the cheerleaders are there...you'll get an eye and an earful for sure!

Upvote 0

DisneyDebNJ

I have always felt that Gay days is important in the LBGT community because these families get comments, looks and general rude and ignorant viewpoints in their homes, their schools, their jobs. I'm not saying it always happens but it happens often enough that all of my gay friends can list off times when they have been made to feel that being gay is wrong, evil, a sin...whatever term you want to use.

Letting them have a day where they feel pride isn't an issue for me - it doesn't effect me in the least and as I've said previously 7 years of vacationing and working during Gay days and I have never seen any behaviour worse that any other day....in fact working there is awesome because there are fewer incidents of drunk and disorderly and servers get better tips (at least in 96-97 this was true and from what I hear from my friends working there 2008-2011 was the same).

As I've mentioned before if you want to see loud, rude, obnoxious people wearing matching shirts or shirts with sexually explicit sayings not to mention incredibly innapropriate (revealing) clothing taking over the park, using the foulest language ever and performing more explicit acts in pubic - come down when the cheerleaders are there...you'll get an eye and an earful for sure!

Well said darlin,you make yet another great point!!! I do apologize if my comments came across as nasty, but my goodness, EVERYONE deserves a fabulous time at Disney!!!

Upvote 0

captainkidd

No, trolling = hate.

Want to have a drink with me at Saratoga Springs. I would be more than happy to meet up with you Captkidd or any other with a conflict of preference or ideal.

So someone who doesn't agree with you is a troll?

I don't see any hate on this thread. I certainly don't hate, or have anything against the Gay community. Nor do I have anything against any other community, minor or major. In the words of my favorite band:

Don't look up to your movie screens
Your records or your magazines
Close your eyes and you will see
That you are all you really need.

Upvote 0

draybook

I'm not arguing at all. I offered to buy you coffee.

It's marriage equality, not gay marriage. While that is up for "support", homosexuality is not.

You can not control those around you. I know that must be very frustrating to you.

I don't need to control anyone, and it evokes no feelings from me. As long as it doesn't affect me, I couldn't care less how other people live. They can marry a goat for all I care. But if you want to keep trying to twist my words and sit there beating your chest, then feel free my friend. If that's what brings you pleasure in your life, then have a blast!

Upvote 0

Tom

Beta Return
Thanks for that. If you are being honest, great. And your beliefs also apply to the moms with strollers being obnoxious, straights holding hands and making out etc. Cool.

I am being honest. And yes, anyone who comes to WDW with an "agenda" applies to my personal policy. It's not warranted, and it's not wanted. Black, white, gay, straight, PETA, meatlovers - leave your agendas at home, your intimacy in the room, and just enjoy the parks as "just another person". Like you said, we're all ONE family, and we should all treat each other as such.

Now, the obnoxious stroller monsters...that's not an agenda, but still is not warranted :lol:

I don't drink. I also don't have a conflict of ideals. I do not support homosexuality. That being said, I have no problems with these events or people that are homosexual. I can also say that I have not witnessed any lewd behavior at WDW from said group. I've seen it at other places, but that comes with any group of people. I don't care what people are, at WDW I'm just there for family time.

In today's time I will agree that the lewdness displayed by the group in question has significantly decreased, and shouldn't offend someone ANY more than the inappropriately and scantily clad people of all genders, ages, shapes and sizes.

Ok coffee. Homosexuality is not an issue that is up for support. It exists and is not in your control.

Family time includes gays.

The offer stands for coffee.

I understand that you seem to want to argue just for the sake of it, but I really don't see the point. I don't drink coffee either, bad for the body and teeth.

Ok, I'll give. Homosexuality IS up for "support". Ever heard of the gay marriage ban? Thus it can be "controlled" by people.

My family does not include homosexuality in our time together. That's just our preference, nothing against those who do include it.

Now this thread is leaning towards an actual argument over homosexuality - which will get it quickly locked. The topic of this thread is whether the members of this board feel that the OP's niece and nephew should be taken to WDW during Gay Week - not whether "gay" is OK.

I don't need to control anyone, and it evokes no feelings from me. As long as it doesn't affect me, I couldn't care less how other people live. They can marry a goat for all I care. But if you want to keep trying to twist my words and sit there beating your chest, then feel free my friend. If that's what brings you pleasure in your life, then have a blast!

The bold part is exactly how I feel. When someone's agenda begins to actually affect me, that's when I care. Beyond that, I don't care what anyone does. No matter what your religion, political point of view, lifestyle, preference or race - keep it to yourself, don't impose it upon others, and just go about your life. If everyone did that, people would have far fewer reasons to "hate" any other "group".

Upvote 0

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Scantily clad bimbos are fine, munters should cover up.

As for Gay Days. Too busy so thats why Id avoid just as I would moronic teens and this strange colonial concept of cheering, god botherers and people who choose to eat brussle sprouts.

Upvote 0

Tom

Beta Return
Scantily clad bimbos are fine, munters should cover up.

As for Gay Days. Too busy so thats why Id avoid just as I would moronic teens and this strange colonial concept of cheering, god botherers and people who choose to eat brussle sprouts.

Ha! Perfect post to brighten this thread a bit.

Upvote 0

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I didn't say nor did I suggest that these events happened on Disney property. I'm simply illustrating that there's a major difference between the average gay WDW guest and the official organizers of this event.

And the "Surrender the Booty" t-shirts WILL be worn at WDW. I really doubt you'd try to deny that that's blatant innuendo deliberately designed to offend people.

Really? That seems to be straddling the line of acceptability. Gay or straight.

Upvote 0

menamechris

I don't drink. I also don't have a conflict of ideals. I do not support homosexuality. That being said, I have no problems with these events or people that are homosexual. I can also say that I have not witnessed any lude behavior at WDW from said group. I've seen it at other places, but that comes with any group of people. I don't care what people are, at WDW I'm just there for family time.

How does one not support homosexuality - But then say they don't have a problem with homosexuals?

Just curious... Not that homosexuality requires any "support" - it is what it is. I am assuming you are stating that you do not believe in equal rights for homosexuals. I am sure this was a common phrase in the 60's for another oppessed group, as well... Just sayin..

Upvote 0

Tom

Beta Return
Really? That seems to be straddling the line of acceptability. Gay or straight.

Depends on if any graphics are added. If it's just text, it could very easily be referring to pirate stuff. However, if there are any graphics other than a treasure chest - no, there's not really a way to make it an acceptable shirt to wear at WDW.

Upvote 0

Tom

Beta Return
How does one not support homosexuality - But then say they don't have a problem with homosexuals?

Just curious... Not that homosexuality requires any "support" - it is what it is. I am assuming you are stating that you do not believe in equal rights for homosexuals. I am sure this was a common phrase in the 60's for another oppessed group, as well... Just sayin..

Off topic. Best take this discussion private....

Upvote 0

draybook

Same concept as not supporting veganism and not hating vegans.

Pretty much this. Just because I don't agree with the lifestyle doesn't mean that I'm out there planning on hurting or demonstrating against those who live it. Please tell me you're not another one of those people that wants to make something out of nothing. My views don't have to match yours. That doesn't make either party right.

I also don't eat pork due to my beliefs, that doesn't mean that I have a problem with pigs. But feel free to contact Al Sharpton or the ACLU since you seem to be on an oppression kick.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom