Gay Days At WDW

Status
Not open for further replies.

HokieDevil

I was looking at going to WDW with my neice and nephews over the summer but I did see that that time we are able to go coincides with the gay days at the park. I was wondering if anyone has any advice around what the park is like during this event. I myself am gay but this event has always seemed to be more of the negative stereotype associated with the community than the circle of friends I keep. My neice and nephews are 7 and the twins are 5. I wouldn't want to take them to Halsted St here in Chicago and wonder what the atmosphere at the parks and especially hotels are like. Thank you.

MrsWhiffo

Tattooed Disney Geekster
Obnoxious people are obnoxious no matter what gender of partner they pick, so in any crowded place you are going to get some PDA's (usually spotty teenagers).

I generally think now that the LGBT community are finally being excepted by modern society the GD's will be unneeded. They were a chance to take your family for an amazing day out , without some hick making comments or giving glaring stares. I am sure that as a same ______ parent it would be just as hard to explain to your child why people are discriminating against their parents, as it is for a straight couple to explain sexuality to their child.

Thankfully Kids are so much more open and excepting, I am sure (hope)that in 15 years time this generation will be absolutely shocked at the behaviour of those who are so close minded. Love is Love, no matter what.

Myself and my husband would be happy to go on any theme day, be it gay or religious based. It might not be your life choice, but it requires respect no matter what your beliefs and that is what (if i ever) will be teaching my children.

Upvote 0

pixiesteno

We were at the MK last year for gay days and I will tell you that by far the majority of people that we interacted with that day were more polite than you get with a lot of these young moms with their strollers and "the world owes me everything because I had a kid" attitude. I also observed a reduced amount of domestic bickering than usual. DH and I would not have a problem going again during Gay Days. I did have to laugh when our 22 year old college grad said, what is with all the red shirts? I had to explain to him the gathering and some history behind the gay movement and social acceptance. Not that he hasn't had exposure to the gay community, because he has. He just never gave it a thought that anyone might feel the need to use a colored shirt to make a statement or designate a group based on sexual preference. I guess it is because we as a family don't think the sexual preference defines a person, it is part of who a person is but it is not the only aspect of who a person is.
I did see one shirt that made me go eewh, but I don't care who wears a shirt that has a photo of a hand in a laytex glove that says "trust me I am a doctor/nurse" on it -- that is just wrong!!!!!
I have seen many an outfit while walking the parks that make you go "oh god, you have to be kidding, did you look in the mirror before you left your room?" and the whole PDA thing, really I understand you are on your honeymoon from the ears you are wearing but go to your room! Oh and for the ladies who are well endowed who persist in wearing shirts with shelf bras and no support (you know who you are, so do the rest of us) in years to come you may regret that lack of support! Okay, sorry, I degress

Upvote 0

erstwo

I agree - it's really no big deal.

We were there for Gay Days in 2009. I found out about Gay Days from a friend beforehand, and after my (gay) friends and sisters- in- law expressed similar concerns (concerns similar to yours about protecting your nieces and nephews) about us going during that time, I came to this board and asked for advice. I was also concerned about crowds.

The advice I was given then was to avoid the 'chosen' park (chosen parks for each day posted on Gay Days website) and that MK day - usually Saturday, would be the most crowded/ flamboyant day.

We took that advice and never saw anything inappropriate or encountered unbearable crowds. Other than the oppressive heat of June, we'd go again that week in a heartbeat!

Upvote 0

MrsWhiffo

Tattooed Disney Geekster
We were at the MK last year for gay days and I will tell you that by far the majority of people that we interacted with that day were more polite than you get with a lot of these young moms with their strollers and "the world owes me everything because I had a kid" attitude.

:sohappy::sohappy::sohappy:

Upvote 0

MickeyPeace

I hear what you're saying and to some extent agree (at least with the part about sexual, religious and political views having no place in the parks). Being gay, though, isn't a "view" that someone has. They just ARE gay. They're not expressing their opinion about it, they're expressing that they are proud of who they are. As a straight man, I've never felt compelled to announce to the world that I'm straight. However, I've also never been a target of bigotry or discrimination based on the fact that I'm straight. And I've never been made to feel as though being straight is something I need to hide or be ashamed of. I know that many gay people have. So when they participate in events such as this, as well as gay pride parades, etc., I really don't think it's intended to annoy people or make them uncomfortable. I think it's just their way of saying they are proud of who they are by not hiding it. To some, I can understand why it might seem like the gay community is undermining it's own cause with what many refer to as "in your face" tactics. But again, I really don't think that's the point of it.

Not sure if that made any sense, but hopefully it did, and please know it wasn't meant to be divisive or offend anyone. :wave:

This is spot on! Thank you for such a well written and well thought out response. This is exactly why Gay Days started-
" As a straight man, I've never felt compelled to announce to the world that I'm straight. However, I've also never been a target of bigotry or discrimination based on the fact that I'm straight. And I've never been made to feel as though being straight is something I need to hide or be ashamed of."
It began as a day to not hide who you are. Just get together as friends and have fun.
Outlandish behavior was probably more "in your face" in the beginning but as ignorance fades and more acceptance happens people are more united and not out to make a statement.

As a straight person are you going to behave the way a gay person wants you to? Do not kiss your girlfriend, hold her hand or give any clue that you are together in public? Do not act so straight?
Sound ridiculous? Yea it is. And a gay person is not going to live their life the way a straight person wants them to either. We are all people. Same human race. There is no us and them.

Upvote 0

MickeyPeace

Every year I buy an Unofficial Guide to WDW at Barnes and Noble. I have noticed that in the last couple of years they have started carrying the book Queens in the Kingdom and one other book geared toward homosexual park visitors. You might take a look and see if they are helpful. I use the info in the Unofficial Guides as my WDW "Bible" lol Hope you and your neice and nephews have a magical vacation!

Proud parent of a Spring Advantage CPCM:sohappy:

Yes did you know that D23 contributor and former Disney Geek Jeffrey Epstein is gay?

He and his partner wrote Queens in the Kingdom.

Upvote 0

Tim_4

Hopefully someone who has participated in an event like this can answer my question...

Isn't the whole idea of a "gay day" counterproductive to the agenda of the "gay community"? In fact, isn't the idea of a "gay community" itself contrary to that agenda? I think if I were a part of a group seeking to be accepted as part of society's mainstream, I probably wouldn't want to participate in events that further stand to isolate and segregate.

I guess my point is that I don't have a problem with Gay Days, I just don't particularly understand the goal. Is it a political statement? If so, what's the statement? Wouldn't it be strange to see "Black Days" where African Americans all came to WDW and wore a certain t-shirt? :shrug:

To me, "Straight Days," for example, would be just as wrong as "White Days." If the gay community's goal is to be treated equally to the straight community, shouldn't we all be pushing for a society where there is only ONE "community" and not pointing out supposedly meaningless differences just for the sake of standing out?

I hope this doesn't come across as rude but I know the gay day threads tend to be "ground zero" for hypersensitivity and hostility.

Upvote 0

Tom

Beta Return
Hopefully someone who has participated in an event like this can answer my question...

Isn't the whole idea of a "gay day" counterproductive to the agenda of the "gay community"? In fact, isn't the idea of a "gay community" itself contrary to that agenda? I think if I were a part of a group seeking to be accepted as part of society's mainstream, I probably wouldn't want to participate in events that further stand to isolate and segregate.

I guess my point is that I don't have a problem with Gay Days, I just don't particularly understand the goal. Is it a political statement? If so, what's the statement? Wouldn't it be strange to see "Black Days" where African Americans all came to WDW and wore a certain t-shirt? :shrug:

To me, "Straight Days," for example, would be just as wrong as "White Days." If the gay community's goal is to be treated equally to the straight community, shouldn't we all be pushing for a society where there is only ONE "community" and not pointing out supposedly meaningless differences just for the sake of standing out?

I hope this doesn't come across as rude but I know the gay day threads tend to be "ground zero" for hypersensitivity and hostility.

I've never had the junk to say this, but I've always believed this for all minorities and alternative groups. If everyone wants to be equal, we should just all behave equally and blend in.

No need for shirts or parties. No need for special months or events. Just be who you are, run with the crowds, and eventually (I believe) things will work themselves out naturally.

Bringing attention to yourself just further heightens awareness....and unfortunately, most of that awareness bring to mind the negative stereotypes rather than the "we're the same as you" message that all the groups want to get out.

Instead of the "We're Here and We're [derogatory word deleted]" method, why not just have the parties off-site (like they do) and then just blend in at the parks, without all the fanfare?

Upvote 0

HookEmHorns

I believe the purpose is to show that they are a portion of society that is oppressed by others as did many people in the Civil Rights Movement. After all if they can't have a day to show solidarity and unity among their community in an effort to achieve respect and rights they feel deserving of because a few people are intolerant of their lifestyles, what's the purpose of claiming we're a free nation?
Basically, it's sort of a gay pride event and the gay attendees are there to show they're not going anywhere and society better change to be accepting of their lifestyle or events like this will continue forever.
That's all, as is the case with "White Power" and "Straight Pride", these aren't necessary and would be in fact considered politically incorrect because they aren't portions of society that face hardships like the gay and minority populations.
So basically as Disney fans all we can ask for is the organized group of gays participating in Gay Days to act with discretion, not like they're at a club, and most already do. Like others have said in this thread before, it seems like the event has toned down from the past and from my experiences visiting when this even was occurring I barely even noticed the fact that it was going on.

Upvote 0

Tim_4

I've never had the junk to say this, but I've always believed this for all minorities and alternative groups. If everyone wants to be equal, we should just all behave equally and blend in.

No need for shirts or parties. No need for special months or events. Just be who you are, run with the crowds, and eventually (I believe) things will work themselves out naturally.

Bringing attention to yourself just further heightens awareness....and unfortunately, most of that awareness bring to mind the negative stereotypes rather than the "we're the same as you" message that all the groups want to get out.

Instead of the "We're Here and We're [derogatory word deleted]" method, why not just have the parties off-site (like they do) and then just blend in at the parks, without all the fanfare?

I agree. I'm sure there was a time when seeing a black man holding hands with a white woman in a theme park would have been shocking to the average American. Thank God that we no longer live in that time. I hope for the gay community that we're approaching the time where a gay couple holding hands at WDW will be just as much of an non-issue as an interracial couple now is, but I don't think we approach that point by jumping up and down in a red t-shirt uniform screaming "look at us and how different we are!"

Also, with regards to the "Gay Day" organizers, I'm sure this doesn't reflect the gay community in general but from the official Gay Day website:

10_e31ace2a15a7c70645ad83df9ecd43b0_s.jpg

The red t-shirts this year feature the slogan "Surrender the Booty."

Family friendly?

I'd ask the rest of the gay community on these boards and gay Disney fans everywhere to call out the Gay Day organization as one that misrepresents the goals of the community as a whole.

Upvote 0

MickeyPeace

When you and all of your friends who feel the same way have acceptance then everyone would blend in. Simple!

The more you try to oppress gay or make them feel negative feelings the more you will see "acting out".

Again, this started in the late 90's. There is more acceptance now, more families. It's a lot tamer. Go have fun.

Upvote 0

HookEmHorns

Though the Gay Disney Days may not be the best way to display their pride, it is their right to do so and I believe it is fair that they do so.

The idea that the gay community should just sit by and wait for society to change is ridiculous. Change comes from action and this is one form of action the gay community believes is necessary, displays of gay pride. Change never occurred just because the ruling class one day decided they had a change of heart, it occurs because of a general change in popular opinion.

Let these people have their gay days, and understand it is all part of the process of living in a democracy where actions like this lead to change. Let us be tolerant and accepting and if you don't want to be, make sure to visit Disney World at a different time of year! :lol:

Upvote 0

MickeyPeace

I agree. I'm sure there was a time when seeing a black man holding hands with a white woman in a theme park would have been shocking to the average American. Thank God that we no longer live in that time. I hope for the gay community that we're approaching the time where a gay couple holding hands at WDW will be just as much of an non-issue as an interracial couple now is, but I don't think we approach that point by jumping up and down in a red t-shirt uniform screaming "look at us and how different we are!"

Also, with regards to the "Gay Day" organizers, I'm sure this doesn't reflect the gay community in general but from the official Gay Day website:

10_e31ace2a15a7c70645ad83df9ecd43b0_s.jpg

The red t-shirts this year feature the slogan "Surrender the Booty."

Family friendly?

I'd ask the rest of the gay community on these boards and gay Disney fans everywhere to call out the Gay Day organization as one that misrepresents the goals of the community as a whole.

One Magical Weekend is a series of parties held off site. Not on Disney property. Nice try.

Upvote 0

Tim_4

Though the Gay Disney Days may not be the best way to display their pride, it is their right to do so and I believe it is fair that they do so.

The idea that the gay community should just sit by and wait for society to change is ridiculous. Change comes from action and this is one form of action the gay community believes is necessary, displays of gay pride. Change never occurred just because the ruling class one day decided they had a change of heart, it occurs because of a general change in popular opinion.

Let these people have their gay days, and understand it is all part of the process of living in a democracy where actions like this lead to change. Let us be tolerant and accepting and if you don't want to be, make sure to visit Disney World at a different time of year! :lol:

I don't think we disagree. I don't think anyone is suggesting to ban the gay days or that people with a certain belief shouldn't be allowed to fight for it. By all means, fight for the cause you believe in. I just happen to disagree that this particular course of action is the most effective to bring about the desired outcome.

Upvote 0

MickeyPeace

Another incredibly intelligent post!!

:sohappy:

Upvote 0

Tim_4

One Magical Weekend is a series of parties held off site. Not on Disney property. Nice try.

I didn't say nor did I suggest that these events happened on Disney property. I'm simply illustrating that there's a major difference between the average gay WDW guest and the official organizers of this event.

And the "Surrender the Booty" t-shirts WILL be worn at WDW. I really doubt you'd try to deny that that's blatant innuendo deliberately designed to offend people.

Upvote 0

Tom

Beta Return

If they want to be accepted, then why don't they just come to the parks and hang out like the rest of us?

The picture Tim_4 posted from their website obviously sends a message that just furthers negative stereotypes. To me, their website can be compared to a straight swinger's organization or other s-e-x-ually oriented group/niche. It doesn't just say, "Hey, please accept that we're the same gender and we like each other." It tells me that they're out to make a statement in a bold way.

As long as they keep that type of attitude and behavior out of the parks, I don't give a rat's rear-end what they do. But again, when I visited the parks, unknowingly, during their event in the late 90s/early 2000s, it was borderline in-your-face. Since then, they've done a much better job of just blending in....and that's what I firmly believe will help develop more acceptance.

Upvote 0

HookEmHorns

I don't think we disagree. I don't think anyone is suggesting to ban the gay days or that people with a certain belief shouldn't be allowed to fight for it. By all means, fight for the cause you believe in. I just happen to disagree that this particular course of action is the most effective to bring about the desired outcome.

As for Disney being the place that the action takes place, I agree it's not the most effective. Yet if you think about it, it is partially effective because it brings the debate of gay rights to a group of people who don't deal with it on a regular basis. What I mean is that unless you live in an urban environment, you don't deal with gay pride on a regular basis.
I remember I lived on the outskirts of a city and not near any place where things like this occurred, when I visited Disney World I was okay with this because of my political beliefs but still in shock because I had never seen such a massive group of gays gathering to show unity.

So in a way, they are definitely getting the attention necessary for the end goal of drawing it and demanding respect. The only negative I see here for anyone is those who are not tolerant of the gay community and their political movement demanding rights and their belief that the gay communities presence at the parks ruins their trip.

Upvote 0

MickeyPeace

If they want to be accepted, then why don't they just come to the parks and hang out like the rest of us?

The picture Tim_4 posted from their website obviously sends a message that just furthers negative stereotypes. To me, their website can be compared to a straight swinger's organization or other s-e-x-ually oriented group/niche. It doesn't just say, "Hey, please accept that we're the same gender and we like each other." It tells me that they're out to make a statement in a bold way.

As long as they keep that type of attitude and behavior out of the parks, I don't give a rat's rear-end what they do. But again, when I visited the parks, unknowingly, during their event in the late 90s/early 2000s, it was borderline in-your-face. Since then, they've done a much better job of just blending in....and that's what I firmly believe will help develop more acceptance.

I repeat. The pic posted of One Magical Weekend is not a Disney event. Sorry to take the air out of your balloon. Straights go to clubs and party too. Scandalous!!

I suggest going and have fun or stay home and focus on things you can control. Welcome to the boards Tim 4!

Upvote 0

HookEmHorns

Yeah, I read your experience and was shocked to hear that occurred but I am happy to report that from my past two experiences visiting during this time, it was quite toned compared to your experience. The only display of anything for gay pride was the holding of hands and embracing and there were no extreme clothing choices or offensive gestures.
:shrug:

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom