*GASP* Wifey is tired if Disney!

Gail Hayden

mrtoad said:
Tactful as ever... :lol:

Hi Gail :wave:
Hi!!!
Hey, what can I say, tact and diplomacy have never been my forte. I am also a semi private person and don't air my "problems" for a kazillion people to read.
I can say, I would not be really happy if my s/o was airing his problems with me (which I am sure are many) for a bunch of people I don't know to read. If you are gusty enough to post the situation, hopefully, you have the guts to read the responses. AND.....he called his wife "wifey", that alone would pi** me off.

Epcot4ME

Original Poster
We've already done the spectrum of Disney hotels, except for the deluxe ones, only the Contemporary the one time due to money.

I think our average has been three times a year the last five years. We could not afford to go the first five years of our marriage, and I suffered quietly. Once we got situated financially, it was time to go back.

She hates the walking you have to do, most of all. We are going to St. Augustine on Saturday, which is where she wants to go. I'm hoping to pull out a trip in March or April of 2005. This will depend on several things, including the birth of our second child in early March.

But you have to get these new children initiated into Disney early, right? :D

symbasys

Epcot4ME said:
We've already done the spectrum of Disney hotels, except for the deluxe ones, only the Contemporary the one time due to money.

I think our average has been three times a year the last five years. We could not afford to go the first five years of our marriage, and I suffered quietly. Once we got situated financially, it was time to go back.

She hates the walking you have to do, most of all. We are going to St. Augustine on Saturday, which is where she wants to go. I'm hoping to pull out a trip in March or April of 2005. This will depend on several things, including the birth of our second child in early March.

It looks like you have two choices -- get her a motorized chair so she doesn't have to walk, or DUMP HER! :D Seriously though, if the walking is what bothers her, then investing in (or even just renting) a Jazzy or other mobility product may be the answer. Or how about this: bring her along with you, and you go to the parks and let her relax by the pool at the hotel, or get a few massages or spa treatments, or do some shopping. There is so much more to do than just the parks.

garyhoov

Trophy Husband
5 times a year!?!? I think I'd even be sick of it after that much.

My wife's going back with us this year after staying home for the last few trips, so there is hope.:wave:

Gucci65

Epcot4ME said:

(1) New Baby - Your not seriously considering taking a newborn to WDW are you? If not, I don't know your wife, but I wouldn't think she would leave a newborn to go to WDW either.

(2) Hates Walking - have you been to St. Augustine yet? There are tram tours, but there is a lot of walking. AND if you decide to do the Ghost Tour, guess what.............the main one is a walking tour.

(3) My ex and I always took seperate vacations in November, I went to WDW and he went to work at the nascar race. He never would have went more than 1 day (which is what we did when we went to the beach for a week during the summer). b/t/w - WDW was not the reason for our divorce.

I agree with Tramp there are other places to see/visit besides WDW. We go every year in December and with the money I save on my room, I still feel the AP is a good value.

tigsmom

figmentmom said:
My husband is "Disneyed-out" too, so for several years, we divided our April vacation between Disney and a trip to Clearwater Beach on the west coast. We spend four nights in each location, and had the best of both worlds with a minimum of sulking. :rolleyes: :lol:

We split our vacation, too...a few days at WDW and then some time on the Gulf beaches. While my DH isn't crazy over WDW he tolerates the the passion that the girls & I share. :sohappy:

I say if she won't go with ya, get a new wife. :lol:

Since1976

As big a WDW freak as I am, even I would concede that a little variety in your vacations is a good thing, especially if one of you doesn't want to go to WDW again just now.

I say, go somewhere else, enjoy it the best you can, and go to WDW again next time. Heck, 4 times in one year!?!? I'm lucky to have 4 times in 2 decades!

wannabeBelle

OK I just booked my 5th and 6th trips for this calendar year so I am really not following the whole "I am bored with Disney" thing. To me it is a magical place where I dont have to think or be serious for the time frame I Am down there!!!! It is my decompression from work and reality. I dont think I have ever seen a better release for me. That having been said Disney is not for everyone. Never has been, never will be!!! You have no idea how long it took me to be able to say that!!!! At first I couldnt believe it, but it became more and more evident. I happen to agree with some of the postings on this thread, take your daughter and go. Who is looking at her as a "Bad" mom??? Maybe she should go away with some friends or family members at the same time. Maybe to a spa or soemthing she would enjoy while you two are screaming your head off on Tower or RNRC!!!! Sometimes, a little selfish time is not a bad thing!!! Belle

mrtoad

Gail Hayden said:
Hi!!!
Hey, what can I say, tact and diplomacy have never been my forte. I am also a semi private person and don't air my "problems" for a kazillion people to read.
I can say, I would not be really happy if my s/o was airing his problems with me (which I am sure are many) for a bunch of people I don't know to read. If you are gusty enough to post the situation, hopefully, you have the guts to read the responses. AND.....he called his wife "wifey", that alone would pi** me off.

:lol:

SpenceMan01

Since1976 said:
As big a WDW freak as I am, even I would concede that a little variety in your vacations is a good thing, especially if one of you doesn't want to go to WDW again just now.

I say, go somewhere else, enjoy it the best you can, and go to WDW again next time. Heck, 4 times in one year!?!? I'm lucky to have 4 times in 2 decades!
Ditto. I'm averaging about once ever 4-5 years or so. I don't think I could go 5 times in 1 year...that's crazy IMO. I get to the local amusement park a few times every summer (granted it's not Disney), and I do look forward to going, but it's not the same since I get there so often. Since I only go to Disney every few years, I learn to appreciate the time I spend down there more. I don't take it for granted. When going to the local park I don't get excited 5 1/2 months in advance like I do for WDW. With that said, 130 days, 21 hours, 31 minutes til I'm in the air headed to WDW!!!

As far as the wife goes, I think:
1) Cut down the number of trips you take to WDW. Once a year sounds like a fair number.
2) Vary what you do in Orlando. Universal just added the Mummy, and Spiderman rocks my world. They also got fun things for your daughter to do.
3) Get out of Orlando. Go spend a few days in Clearwater at the beach.

Just a few tips. Honestly, think that getting a divorce over something like WDW is pitiful...at best. I know (hope) most are joking.

wannabeBelle

darbiemc said:
man what kind of job do you people have that you can go 5 or 6 times a year
I have 4 weeks vacation time and the majority of it is spent in Disney!!! but to show you the budgeting of the time here were the exact days:
January Sat, Sun, & Mon
Feb Sat, Sun, Mon
May Monday -Friday
July Sat, Sun & Mon
Oct Sat, Sun Mon
December Fri, Sat, Sun, Mon, Tues, Wed, & Thurs
See??? Belle

Gucci65

wannabeBelle said:
OK I just booked my 5th and 6th trips for this calendar year so I am really not following the whole "I am bored with Disney" thing. To me it is a magical place where I dont have to think or be serious for the time frame I Am down there!!!! It is my decompression from work and reality. I dont think I have ever seen a better release for me. That having been said Disney is not for everyone. Never has been, never will be!!! You have no idea how long it took me to be able to say that!!!! At first I couldnt believe it, but it became more and more evident. I happen to agree with some of the postings on this thread, take your daughter and go. Who is looking at her as a "Bad" mom??? Maybe she should go away with some friends or family members at the same time. Maybe to a spa or soemthing she would enjoy while you two are screaming your head off on Tower or RNRC!!!! Sometimes, a little selfish time is not a bad thing!!! Belle

I have never in my life been bored with Disney!!! I love Disney!!! If I lived in Orlando, I would probably be there every weekend. But as it stands I live in Georgia and with all the associated costs of a 13 yr old female, I was saying there are other places to visit outside of WDW. Cheaper places is more in line with what I'm saying. :lol:

As far as his wife being seen as a bad mom, sounds like she's too worried about what folks think. For the past 12 yrs, I have gone to WDW in December with my daughter and MY Dad. My Mom cares nothing about WDW and goes to NYC instead. She is definately not a bad mom. Oh and before I forget, one year I couldn't get off work because I had just started a new job so my daughter (then 8) and my Dad went by themselves for a week. :sohappy: :sohappy: I was dead jealous, but I didn't feel like a bad mom.

Lauriebar

First of all this is not that serious of a problem!! Good Grief! My husband and I love WDW and go once a year and it never fails that at the end of our trip we say, maybe next year we will do something different...Needless to say six months later we look at each other and say, let's book another WDW vacation!

Perhaps a little time away from WDW will make her heart grow fonder...speaking as a woman let me say that the whole you'll make me look bad thing is more than likely a little test for you as a husband...who do you care for more? Me or WDW? You better answer that question correctly...esp. since she is carrying your child right now!!!!

Compromise is the cornerstone of marriage...sit down and talk...but make sure you show her that she comes first, she will be more willing to make you happy if she knows you care about what she wants.

phlydude

My wife doesn't want to do Disney all the time either. We went on a cruise last November and did Punta Cana, DR last July. Prior to that we did a long weekend at Disney and a week in the summer prior. I tend to agree though, 5 times in a year is a little much and variety is truly the spice of life. Sometimes I need a cabana in the sand with no one around for a week. Other times, the hustle and bustle of the parks is fun.

After this last trip, I too am kind of Disney'd out a little. That hurricane wasn't that bad inside WDW but the delays and problems it caused every where else were taxing. When you are ready to go home and then are told you have to wait 4 more days, you get a little bummed out.

On a plus side, the wife liked the idea of the DVC so maybe in December we'll be talking to those folks. The thing that sold her most on it is that you can vacation at places other than Disney property.

netenyahoo

My wife told me last night she was tired of Disney, so this thread caught my eye. We don't go too often, but she wants to go to Hawaii or Europe or somehwere else. She isn't as big a Disney freak as I am, but she always loves it when we are there. We went to Disneyland earlier in the month and went to WDW in April. We go to Disney 1-2 times a year. I can kind of understand where she is coming from. There are other places I want to go too, but I love my Disney too. I wish I had more money and more vacation time! We are going to slow down on the number of Disney vacations and only go once a year. We are going to go to Disneyland next year for the 50th Celebration and then take a Disney Cruise in 2006 and go to WDW at that time. We probably then take a year off. Maybe if we go to Europe we can sneak in a couple days at DLP.

A little variety never did anyone any harm.

Epcot4ME

Original Poster
I must say that I've gotten a very WIDE range of responses to my post. I'll try to address some of them..

1. Divorce??? :eek: Not in a million years. It's not that big of a problem.

2. 5 times a year? Stayed one day each time, except for the anniversary trip, which was a once-in-ten-year-occasion. We generall drive down Friday night, do a park on Saturday, then be lazy Sunday AM and then hit Downtown Disney on the way home. Budgeting is something I do real good. Generally we stay 4 days a year, spread out.

3. We live within 3 1/2 hours from Disney, just on the otherside of the Florida/Georgia state line.

4. The "wifey" is the one suggesting (now) that we go in March after the baby comes. I looked at her like she was crazy. I'll be using my vacation to be home with her so I'm not sure *which* March she's talking about.

5. "Wifey" is bad??? It's a common endearment here in SE Georgia. We are more relaxed here....

I always prefer to go in the fall or winter due to price advantages and the nice weather.

My post was intended to spark conversation, not recriminations! Things always seem so laid back around here...now I'm not so sure.

:wave:

rosebud's mom

I think some people may have misunderstood posts that were meant to be light-hearted and not to be taken seriously. One of the drawbacks to not being able to hear one's tone of voice or observe facial expressions.

Also, now that you and Belle have both given more detail as to going 5 times a year, it should clarify things a little. I think most people tend to think of "going to Disney" as a minimum of a week-long vacation - well mayber 5 days minimum at a time. If you look at it that way, 5 times in a year does seem excessive.

On the other hand, I live about the same distance from Cedar Point as you do from Disney. No one here questions people who get season long passes for Cedar Point and go every weekend. When I lived in Ormond Beach I had the Florida residents 4 month passes. At that time anyway, it was unlimited visits in half of January, all February, all March, all September, and most of October. I was a single mom with 3 kids and went every weekend ! ( didn't stay on site. ) When I was only paying for gas and food, it wasn't that bad.

Moral is - don't jump to conclusions about what people say on the boards as it is easy to misinterpret sometimes.

tigsmom

Epcot4ME said:
My post was intended to spark conversation, not recriminations! Things always seem so laid back around here...now I'm not so sure.

:wave:

My standard reply for husband/wife/ significant other who
doesn't want to go is to get a new one...always said in a joking tone. I don't think anyone meant for you to actually find a new spouse. :wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom