Galveston 2013 8-night itinerary changes anyone? cha

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
Did anyone here have a 2013 8-night out of Galveston booked and get the email from DCL about the itinerary change(s)? Curious if you called and what you were offered for options. Read reports on another site about this. DCL is citing complaints that the Galveston itineraries didn't offer an option that included CC and no shorter itineraries. So the 8-nights that were calling on Grand Cayman, Costa Maya, & Cozumel are apparently changing to one of 2 options: 8-night sailing to CC, Port Canaveral (w/the transport & ticket to WDW), & Key West or back-to-back 4-nights to Cozumel & back. Personally I would love the new 8-night because we'd love to go back to Key West & CC is a big reason we haven't thought to book anything out of the port that's 30 minutes from us. I don't know what I'd do with the WDW thing. I know a lot of folks booked for the other ports, tho. Feel bad for those folks. And what a shafting for the poor souls who got switched to 2 trips to Cozumel & back! I'm curious how DCL will handle all this. A lot of people had already booked airfare & prepaid hotels. I guess it's another reason to get travel insurance. I'm guessing travel insurance would offer coverage for additional costs incurred due to changes by the cruise line, right?

The revised itineraries aren't showing up on DCL's site for now. I'm guessing they won't until after the 24th which is the date the emails sent out gives as the deadline to call the special number about the changes. That should limit the availability until those affected have first shot at moving their sailings. I'm curious what the prices will look like once the revised sailings go online.

iloverags2

Did anyone here have a 2013 8-night out of Galveston booked and get the email from DCL about the itinerary change(s)? Curious if you called and what you were offered for options. Read reports on another site about this. DCL is citing complaints that the Galveston itineraries didn't offer an option that included CC and no shorter itineraries. So the 8-nights that were calling on Grand Cayman, Costa Maya, & Cozumel are apparently changing to one of 2 options: 8-night sailing to CC, Port Canaveral (w/the transport & ticket to WDW), & Key West or back-to-back 4-nights to Cozumel & back. Personally I would love the new 8-night because we'd love to go back to Key West & CC is a big reason we haven't thought to book anything out of the port that's 30 minutes from us. I don't know what I'd do with the WDW thing. I know a lot of folks booked for the other ports, tho. Feel bad for those folks. And what a shafting for the poor souls who got switched to 2 trips to Cozumel & back! I'm curious how DCL will handle all this. A lot of people had already booked airfare & prepaid hotels. I guess it's another reason to get travel insurance. I'm guessing travel insurance would offer coverage for additional costs incurred due to changes by the cruise line, right?

The revised itineraries aren't showing up on DCL's site for now. I'm guessing they won't until after the 24th which is the date the emails sent out gives as the deadline to call the special number about the changes. That should limit the availability until those affected have first shot at moving their sailings. I'm curious what the prices will look like once the revised sailings go online.

I have a client on the 1/4/13 sailing, and she just squeezed in with the itinerary not changing for her...whew! I agree...it's not a good deal for those folks who booked specifically to visit certain ports. We had a similar situation for us back in Nov 2010 when our Western sailing dropped Key West for a second call on Castaway Cay. While this made tons of people happy, we were looking forward to Key West most of all on that cruise. Luckily we could change with no issues, and the dates we did end up going (two weeks later) worked better anyway.

I'm not crazy with the constant changing of itineraries though that goes on.

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
Oh wow, Cindy! I'm glad for your client. Or not...depending on if your client liked the new itinerary better. ;) I'll admit, I wasn't thrilled with the 8-nights that didn't go to CC. I guess I'm still new enough to cruising with Mickey that I really enjoy CC. I could see how people who've cruise a looooot of times wouldn't find it as fun or exciting because they've been there so much. I guess that's how I feel about the PC "port" that was added. I don't think of PC as a port to visit because that's where we've cruised out of twice. If there was anything I wanted to do there or at WDW for that matter, I either have or would have already. The WDW day has zero value to me. Key West would be my biggest excitement. We would love to go back there. But then I read where others have done KW so much that they aren't thrilled with that either. I feel for the folks getting uprooted. Hopefully DCL will work with them on the penalties and things with airfare to make changes. I especially feel for the folks who were planning to fly in from far away, like the UK. Yikes! :eek:

iloverags2

She is quite pleased her itinerary is staying put! They are looking forward to the Mexico ports, as they have never been - the same with Key West. While they were disappointed about not going to Castaway Cay, they were looking forward to the ports they are visiting, and quite happy everything is status quo!

Disneyfalcon

I didn't have anybody on those particular sailings. I think overall it's a good idea! I hated that there was no Castaway Cay out of Galveston. And so many people love Key West! I don't like when Disney tinkers with sailings that have already been booking, but I do think these options are good ones.

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
That's good to hear, Tammy. I agree, even if it's understandable why they made the changes it's tough when you know they inconvenienced people like that. I'm glad to hear they're helping with penalties and things. I haven't had time this afternoon to go do anymore digging & reading.

Disneyfalcon

Yes, we have yet to see how it all plays out, but Disney is doing a lot to help now. Onboard credits, etc.

The 7 night cruises in the fall sold poorly enough that I'm not surprised they did something. Those fall cruises are some of the cheapest I've come across. I think the 8 night itinerary is a great one! The 4 night itinerary is interesting too! If you can't do a longer cruise it's a good option.

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
I was reading on another forum, a few folks from Central Florida & Tampa saying the new 8-night appealed to them if not for the cost to fly to Galveston. I got a good chuckle. Get in the car and road trip it! That's what we've done! Also, some people from California who've never been to WDW seem to be excited. The new itinerary really is a good fit for some. When you think about it, tho, the itineraries must not have been selling very well for DCL to do something so drastic. If you remember, Tammy, when we were waiting for Galveston to be announced I was over-the-moon excited. But when the itineraries released the first thing I said was, "The ports don't interest us. Why aren't they going to CC?" I guess I wasn't the only one who felt that way. The shorter 4-night itinerary is definitely a good move to compete with the other cruise lines sailing out of Galveston. The short cruises are a big draw because they're inexpensive (didn't I mention people in the Golden Triangle area where we just moved from are tight on the $$???) and don't take a huge time commitment. Don't you know Tracey & I would be taking a longer cruise next month if he could get away longer! His work schedule doesn't allow for it. If Disney was sailing the 4-nighters out of Galveston in Sept/Oct this year we'd be all over it probably more than once. LOL!

I have a question! For the busing to to WDW from PC and park tickets, I think I understand that those are park hoppers, right? Are the water parks an alternative option for the cruisers as well? That's what I'd do! Go to Typhoon Lagoon than hit dinner at Raglan Road/DtD!

Disneyfalcon

I totally agree. I didn't want to go on a 7 night Caribbean cruise with out Castaway Cay either.

Hilarious about the people from central Florida!! Lol!

They are park hoppers! I have been told they can't be switched. They can be upgraded but not switched. :)

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
Strange. A waterpark ticket is less $$ than a 1 day parkhopper. Wonder why they wouldn't offer a waterpark as an alternative. Hhmmm.... Interesting.

wiigirl

Strange. A waterpark ticket is less $$ than a 1 day parkhopper. Wonder why they wouldn't offer a waterpark as an alternative. Hhmmm.... Interesting.

It would be awesome if they did!
75.gif

ChuckElias

I guess I'm still new enough to cruising with Mickey that I really enjoy CC.
My wife had the thought that maybe DCL figured that most of the Galveston cruisers would be first-timers with Disney and so wouldn't miss Castaway Cay, having never been there.

Even as a Platinum Castaway Club member (i.e., NOT new to cruising with Mickey :) ), I can't imagine cruising the Caribbean with DCL and not going to Castaway Cay. I don't think I would even go on that itinerary.

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
Agreed, Chuck. Hubby & I know several people who wouldn't otherwise spend the money to fly or take the time to drive to PC are opting for cruising with Mickey while the Magic is here. People all over are talking about it. Random strangers strike up conversations with me when they notice my DCL Dooney bag. They ask questions. Most are either trying it, strongly considering it, or know someone who is booked. Hubby even knows a guy who's a big cruiser but never sails out of any port other than Galveston or New Orleans. He won't fly to distant ports so if he can't have a short drive he doesn't go. This guy has like 3 Magic cruises booked out of Galveston! If CC can charm a non-beach girl like me I really do feel like Disney would be missing a golden opportunity to hook some folks if they skipped it. It's a beach utopia! I would trade PC for a different stop personally. But there's also a lot of people around the area who view going to WDW as being prohibitive because of the distance/cost to travel there. Can't tell ya how often we used to hear, "Really??? You're going all the way to Disney World???" Blows their mind when they find out we drive it. It's another good opportunity for Disney to plant a little seed. It's not something that's real obvious to me because the distance to get there isn't something we aren't willing to drive if flying is too much. We've always been the road-tripping sort, tho. There's never been a time we didn't pack the kids in the car and hit the highway. I have to remind myself sometimes that not everyone is like us. LOL!

jgn

We are booked on one of the cruises where the itinerary has been totally changed, and are not happy. Because it is considered an itinerary change, and not a cancellation, Disney is offering nothing! They will refund of course, but we already have air booked, and because it is an itinerary change, our cancellation insurance won't kick in. We are stuck. We booked this trip to go to Grand Cayman. Called Disney and were completely shut down. You know, a small gesture on their part would have gone a long way, instead, we were basically told too bad, and cancel if you want. Our air booking was not their concern. We are long time Disney fans, and have cruised Disney before. This has left a really bad impression. Very disappointing.

ChuckElias

That's lousy, jgn. Sorry it has worked out that way. I would probably not give up on getting something "extra" from DCL. I might call back and keep asking for supervisors until you can tell your whole story to somebody who can give you an onboard credit, or spa credits, or something. I honestly don't know if it would do any good or not. But I think I'd probably call back and try again.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom