GAC to Become DAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Figaro928

that being said...Let's all enjoy the fact that now with the DAC program, there will be less "cheaters" and therefore all able-bodied guest will have absolutely no problem allowing those with DAC to go in front or take up a seat! right...right...anyone...? :rolleyes:

simba2

People in handicapped seats, which are clearly marked as such, irritated that they had to get out of them for someone in an ECV.

ECV person saying she wants to board, which she should have. And she should have reported the bus driver.

Why are you not *equally* outraged that this "handicapped" person took up not the *2* seats for her ECV but then at least 1, and possibly 2 MORE seats when she did not stay seated in her ECV for the bus ride?

Being in an ECV does not mean you should ALWAYS wait longer. If you get a chance to wait less, take it!!!!

I would make a comment on this as well, but frankly, this sentiment is just ridiculous.

luv

Why are you not *equally* outraged that this "handicapped" person took up not the *2* seats for her ECV but then at least 1, and possibly 2 MORE seats when she did not stay seated in her ECV for the bus ride?

I would make a comment on this as well, but frankly, this sentiment is just ridiculous.
You really have no idea how any of this works, do you? They can't stay on the ECV. Many would like to, as transferring is very difficult (and painful) for some. But they must transfer.

I do not see what is ridiculous about saying the disabled don't always have to wait longer. Many times, they must. That's how it works. But if there is no reason they must (or should) wait longer, just because able-bodied people don't wish to change seats.

I'm glad that woman took the seat. Too many would say, "I'll wait," and sit through a few more busses. That is ridiculous and unnecessary. Take your seat, people! :)

Goofyernmost

Read it for yourself. It's there. It's worse than ridiculous. I don't even know the word for it. And worse yet, the bus in the story wasn't even full. There were other seats available, lol. The people just wanted to remain in the handicapped seats.

Also, if they are fat and in a wheelchair/ECV, they should get up and move.

I wonder if these people go up to those in ECVs in real life and say, "Get up and walk!" Charming.
They probably don't have to because the very nature of an ECV means that one has to have some mobility to use one. Otherwise they are confined to a wheelchair. They don't have to be immobile to be in a wheelchair but they do have to be mobile for a ECV. By law, on a bus, they have to get off the ECV. There is no way to secure them so that in the event of an accident they don't go flying across the bus. It does mean that the ECV is taking up 3 places and the rider one more, at least. It's just the way it is. Whine and complain if they want, it isn't going to change anything and they also have to realize that the very reason that, when they can, they will load chairs and ECV's first to avoid confrontation with other passengers that happen to sit in handicapped access areas and lessen the possibility of the vehicle hitting another rider accidentally. It used to also be to keep the bus more stable when loading via the lifts. People moving around will cause the bus to rock and create a very bad situation for many on the lift. Low floor buses with level loading stopped that but imagine what would happen if a bus load of people got on it first and then had to either move or get off the bus to accommodate the wheelchair and I can assure you, from experience, that ADA frowns upon not taking a disabled person when a loading area is available.

Back when I was a bus driver, we were told in no uncertain terms that if a group refused to move so we could accommodate a chair, etc. then we would radio in and dispatch would get the police to come and remove them physically if necessary. They were dead serious about helping the disabled.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Yup, there it is.

Bus not full.

Bus driver arriving and asking person in the ECV if they would wait for another bus.

People in handicapped seats, which are clearly marked as such, irritated that they had to get out of them for someone in an ECV.
I think most people here are fixating on the fact that the kids were sleeping, and the driver was asking her if she wanted him to wake up the sleeping kids. I agree that maybe they should not have sat there in the first place, but what are you going to do with sleepy kids? Even though the bus was not totally full, maybe there wasn't room for the entire party to sit together.

Anyway, I agree she was perfectly within her rights to ask to be seated right then and there. But maybe some compassion for the sleeping kids would have gone a long way as well. Or even maybe a little more polite response to the bus driver, such as "I'm very tired as well, and I would really like to get back to my room as quickly as possible. So yes, please wake them up, so that I may be on my way." The way it was worded, it sounded like she was demanding, and couldn't care less about any one else in the world except herself. Of course, we see that at WDW all the time now, so it is more becoming the norm.

IWantMyMagicBand

But some people just need to say this and be done with it!
last word.jpg

luv

They probably don't have to because the very nature of an ECV means that one has to have some mobility to use one. Otherwise they are confined to a wheelchair. They don't have to be immobile to be in a wheelchair but they do have to be mobile for a ECV. By law, on a bus, they have to get off the ECV. There is no way to secure them so that in the event of an accident they don't go flying across the bus. It does mean that the ECV is taking up 3 places and the rider one more, at least. It's just the way it is. Whine and complain if they want, it isn't going to change anything and they also have to realize that the very reason that, when they can, they will load chairs and ECV's first to avoid confrontation with other passengers that happen to sit in handicapped access areas and lessen the possibility of the vehicle hitting another rider accidentally. It used to also be to keep the bus more stable when loading via the lifts. People moving around will cause the bus to rock and create a very bad situation for many on the lift. Low floor buses with level loading stopped that but imagine what would happen if a bus load of people got on it first and then had to either move or get off the bus to accommodate the wheelchair and I can assure you, from experience, that ADA frowns upon not taking a disabled person when a loading area is available.

Back when I was a bus driver, we were told in no uncertain terms that if a group refused to move so we could accommodate a chair, etc. then we would radio in and dispatch would get the police to come and remove them physically if necessary. They were dead serious about helping the disabled.
City busses where I lived would call police, too. I assume all city busses would.

I don't think Disney would, though. I think the poster(s) who would refuse to get up would likely get away with it at WDW. Am I wrong? Would they, generally, call Security? (Obviously not the driver in that story! But maybe that is the policy. I'm just going on Disney's general lack of willingness to stop the selfish. But maybe they would?)

flynnibus

Premium Member
Untrue. There is no reason a person in an ECV should refrain from boarding busses because able-bodied people don't want to give up the handicapped seats, which, again, are clearly marked as seats that must be relinquished to others. (Especially when there are other seats on the bus! My goodness! Talk about selfish!)

Ok, how about... the mentality that we are all in this together.. including waiting. So why does the ECV lady think her need trumps everyone? You keep glossing over that one.. that somehow her right to get on THAT bus is the most important thing. You talk about others sacrificing a bit... would it be so much to as the ECV lady to sacrifice a bit and wait like everyone else for a bus that can accommodate them? At every turn you discount the rest of the situation you don't know about because you think the ECV's lady's right should be at the top of the list no matter what.

The people in the handicapped seats should be getting out of them. I would hope they'd do it happily, because they know it's the right thing to do, but they should at least do it.

And good for you, doing the right thing! I suspected as much. :)

I agree they should have moved... but I also am willing to accept I don't know their situation either and are willing to give them the benefit of the doubt (just as I would give someone my seat without knowing their full story) before calling them names, attacking them, and anyone else who didn't push them out of the seat.

luv

I think most people here are fixating on the fact that the kids were sleeping, and the driver was asking her if she wanted him to wake up the sleeping kids. I agree that maybe they should not have sat there in the first place, but what are you going to do with sleepy kids? Even though the bus was not totally full, maybe there wasn't room for the entire party to sit together.

Anyway, I agree she was perfectly within her rights to ask to be seated right then and there. But maybe some compassion for the sleeping kids would have gone a long way as well. Or even maybe a little more polite response to the bus driver, such as "I'm very tired as well, and I would really like to get back to my room as quickly as possible. So yes, please wake them up, so that I may be on my way." The way it was worded, it sounded like she was demanding, and couldn't care less about any one else in the world except herself. Of course, we see that at WDW all the time now, so it is more becoming the norm.
Moving out of the handicapped section for handicapped people is part of riding the bus. Rental cars are easily obtained in Orlando for those who must sit together and do not wish to disturb sleeping children. Not sitting in the handicapped seats is an excellent idea, too. Since you know you might have to move, choose another place if moving will be a hardship.

I honestly see that as the parent's fault and not the person who gets on the bus.

When pressured by bus drivers, people should not hesitate to be firm. It is rude (and possibly illegal, I am told) for the bus driver to ask you not to board the bus. I'm all for being nice, but not to the point where you end up sitting through bus after bus. Be firm and take your seat and don't feel badly about not ALWAYS waiting much longer than everyone else. There is no need for that. Nobody should make you feel badly for taking your seat.

luv

Ok, how about... the mentality that we are all in this together.. including waiting. So why does the ECV lady think her need trumps everyone? You keep glossing over that one.. that somehow her right to get on THAT bus is the most important thing. You talk about others sacrificing a bit... would it be so much to as the ECV lady to sacrifice a bit and wait like everyone else for a bus that can accommodate them? At every turn you discount the rest of the situation you don't know about because you think the ECV's lady's right should be at the top of the list no matter what.

I agree they should have moved... but I also am willing to accept I don't know their situation either and are willing to give them the benefit of the doubt (just as I would give someone my seat without knowing their full story) before calling them names, attacking them, and anyone else who didn't push them out of the seat.
The facts of the story don't support the idea that she thinks her need trumps everyone else's.

If you don't already know why we shouldn't ask the handicapped to sacrifice more than they already do, me explaining it wouldn't help. But I suspect you do know why we shouldn't do that, which is why you'd be getting up in the first place.

I have to bail. :)

Figaro928

I think the whole point of that particular story AND this entire thread is that she didn't appear outwardly handicapped. The sleeping kids, the bus seats and how long she waited on line are all moot points. Since got got up with ease after parking the EVC the poster who saw this particular transaction felt as though she was abusing a system. She may have been honest to goodness handicapped - and she may not have been. However, Disney obviously feels as though there are enough people who are also cheating the system that they changed policies. And hopefully that will not only reduce the amount of abusers but also the angst towards those who truly need EVC's.

@luv I am actually very curious to hear your opinion on the new policy.

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.
So in your little world people saying that they would not have moved for this particular women in this particular story means that they would do the same to all disabled people? You really need to go back and re read and stop jumping to such outlandish conclusions.

I would personally rather move and stand up for 20 ECVs that do not need them than to have to live with myself knowing that one of them needed it.

Having sat at stops at times when drivers 'miss' the fact you were there, even when you were there in from before most if not all the guests were in line will make many guests in chairs simply dismiss others needs as it was done to them before. Not an excuse but I can honestly say I have been on both sides and would rather not deal with the hassle of loading and unloading while all the guests glare and resent you for something you have I control of.

Disney's policy is to not load a chair or ECV at parks if they are already loading the bus when you arrive, some drivers do go above and beyond and others go the other way and will avoid picking you up at all costs including telling you another bus is on the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom