GAC to Become DAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hyperspace Hoopla

Oh, please.

We have people whining that those in ECVs shouldn't even get ON the bus if there are able-bodied people who want the seats. The handicapped seats. The seats clearly marked as being reserved for others and needing to be relinquished to them.

Really? Wow - that's rediculous. Whoever said that should be ashamed. Can you point them out? I'd love to read that post.

JimboJones123

I have a feeling quite a few people might find themselves in a fluster not knowing about the changes and try "cheating" with the new red flag consequences in place. I bet CMs are going to have a blast telling people they are no longer eligible because of misusing the system. *giddy*

NowInc

Seems there are people here holding on to some personal hostility thats been bottled up from past experiences.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Again, though, this is exactly how a family without a disability deals with it as well. Our 2 kids don't always want to ride the same rides, so we either split up, or one child has to wait while the other rides. DAS makes this equal as well. Will some like it? Of course not, but that is the way it will be, and you can NEVER please everyone.

It's not the same. In your case, you chose to split up and kid2 can approach the ride with their normal means. In this case, kid2 can not approach the ride with their normal means (DAS). Your choice is choice, kid2's choice is protected by law. It's a grey area because kid2 did not necessarily make the choice for kid1, but they are bound by their shared party.

luv

No one was whining. There was a story about an obese women who insisted that 3 sleeping children get up so she could board that bus even though she rolled up as the bus was pulling up and hadn't waited at all. You keep trying to twist that one story around to fit your agenda and it is kind of pathetic. Not one poster who commented on that particular story said anything about making a disabled person wait for extensive amounts of time. Like I said before we are family that generally stands so others who need to be seated can but no way would I have woke up my children for Ursula /who from what the OP said had a big attitude/ could board . I can assure you as non confrontational as Disney is the bus driver would not have made me. In fact this whole GAC abuse thing has become a problem because Disney refuses to be confrontational and stop problems like this and line cutting until it us way out of hand.

Seriously you last statements makes so sound far more judgmental then anyone on this entire thread.
The obesity is irrelevant. It has no more to do with anything than her religion or the color of her skin.

It also has absolutely nothing to do with GACs, as they have no bearing on the matter whatsoever.

The people on the bus had no idea how long the woman had waited, how many people had asked her not to board THAT bus, how many busses had already come along that she couldn't board. They didn't know how lucky she would be to be able to board the first bus that showed up. That isn't usually the case!

They simply didn't want to get up for someone in an ECV...much like you, they are probably proud of it. Congratulations. You can sit in the handicapped seats and nobody can make you move.

As I said, I do not shy away from the judging. It is selfish, spoiled and cruel to refuse to get out of the handicapped seats...seats clearly marked as needing to be relinquished to them...for someone in a wheelchair or ECV.

You ought to be ashamed of yourself.

luv

Really? Wow - that's rediculous. Whoever said that should be ashamed. Can you point them out? I'd love to read that post.
Read it for yourself. It's there. It's worse than ridiculous. I don't even know the word for it. And worse yet, the bus in the story wasn't even full. There were other seats available, lol. The people just wanted to remain in the handicapped seats.

Also, if they are fat and in a wheelchair/ECV, they should get up and move.

I wonder if these people go up to those in ECVs in real life and say, "Get up and walk!" Charming.

minninedaisy74

The obesity is irrelevant. It has no more to do with anything than her religion or the color of her skin.

It also has absolutely nothing to do with GACs, as they have no bearing on the matter whatsoever.

The people on the bus had no idea how long the woman had waited, how many people had asked her not to board THAT bus, how many busses had already come along that she couldn't board. They didn't know how lucky she would be to be able to board the first bus that showed up. That isn't usually the case!

They simply didn't want to get up for someone in an ECV...much like you, they are probably proud of it. Congratulations. You can sit in the handicapped seats and nobody can make you move.

As I said, I do not shy away from the judging. It is selfish, spoiled and cruel to refuse to get out of the handicapped seats...seats clearly marked as needing to be relinquished to them...for someone in a wheelchair or ECV.

You ought to be ashamed of yourself.

Well just so we are clear I am not .Since you took the liberty to call my behavior selfish, spoiled and cruel then I guess it is ok for me to let you know that your behavior on here strikes me as self-righteous, judgmental and pretentious.

flynnibus

Premium Member

You are getting the story wrong and working yourself up.

The people on the bus didn't refuse to move, the bus driver gave the ECV woman the choice.. and SHE did know how long she's waited and DIDN'T know about the people on the bus.. yet SHE made the selfish choice that she couldn't afford to wait regardless of what the condition was for those already on the bus.

You've taken the ECV rider's view from the very start and now are even getting the story wrong to defend her. I think it's time to let it go and stop trying to trash everyone who doesn't see it your way.

luv

Well just so we are clear I am not .Since you took the liberty to call my behavior selfish, spoiled and cruel then I guess it is ok for me to let you know that your behavior on here strikes me as self-righteous, judgmental and pretentious.
Judgemntal, yes. I thought I was clear about that. Not in general, but absolutely in this case. Totally. Completely. Judging. Yes.

Self-righteous? Maybe. I do believe it is right to get out of the handicapped seats for people in ECVs. I think everyone who is able-bodied should. That's a fine line and could go either way. In this matter, anyway, self-righteous fits pretty well.

Pretentious? No. It's real.

luv

You are getting the story wrong and working yourself up.

The people on the bus didn't refuse to move, the bus driver gave the ECV woman the choice.. and SHE did know how long she's waited and DIDN'T know about the people on the bus.. yet SHE made the selfish choice that she couldn't afford to wait regardless of what the condition was for those already on the bus.

You've taken the ECV rider's view from the very start and now are even getting the story wrong to defend her. I think it's time to let it go and stop trying to trash everyone who doesn't see it your way.
I didn't change anything and it's all there to be read.

To be clear, the people on the bus were upset about having to get out of the handicapped seats. It is posters in the thread who would refuse to budge from the handicapped seats for people in ECVs...or maybe they would move for thin people in ECVs and not fat ones. I am not entirely clear on that. If I gave the impression that these posters were in that story, I apologize. I didn't mean to do that.

Please tell me that you wouldn't sit in the handicapped seats and then refuse to get out of them when an ECV came along.

inigomontoya

I agree 100%.... I posted something similar as well. I think it will work for us parents with autistic kids but it is just going to take a fair bit of work to acclimate the kids to the change. My son has a set routine in disney as well that he goes over all the time even when not in disney. (Disney is his "fixation" subject).

To give people man idea of how a fixation works here is his scripted talk...

"We go to disney on a plane or car. We go to coronado springs room 8A. We go to MK and ride Barnstormer. I ride barnstormer."

I hear this about 25 times a day. To be honest it makes me smile most times :). This fact is why no matter what we make these trips happen. DAS or not.
Barnstormer is not that old of a ride. I just wonder how much the routine is embedded due to this. There was an earlier post that stated a family did some modification at home making less popular rides more appealing to their child. I wonder if that would help with you.

minninedaisy74

I didn't change anything and it's all there to be read.

To be clear, the people on the bus were upset about having to get out of the handicapped seats. It is posters in the thread who would refuse to budge from the handicapped seats for people in ECVs...or maybe they would move for thin people in ECVs and not fat ones. I am not entirely clear on that. If I gave the impression that these posters were in that story, I apologize. I didn't mean to do that.

Please tell me that you wouldn't sit in the handicapped seats and then refuse
to get out of them when an ECV came along.
So in your little world people saying that they would not have moved for this particular women in this particular story means that they would do the same to all disabled people? You really need to go back and re read and stop jumping to such outlandish conclusions.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Please tell me that you wouldn't sit in the handicapped seats and then refuse to get out of them when an ECV came along.

I'm always the one holding doors, giving up seats, etc. I'm still young enough to not need.. and believe in doing the right thing.

However, I can also understand the disdain for someone who thinks their need should trump everyone's situation. And in this case, the ECV rider was not being considerate to other's needs as well as their own when she decided unilaterally her handicap access trumps everyone's situation.

Gomer

I agree 100%.... I posted something similar as well. I think it will work for us parents with autistic kids but it is just going to take a fair bit of work to acclimate the kids to the change. My son has a set routine in disney as well that he goes over all the time even when not in disney. (Disney is his "fixation" subject).

To give people man idea of how a fixation works here is his scripted talk...

"We go to disney on a plane or car. We go to coronado springs room 8A. We go to MK and ride Barnstormer. I ride barnstormer."

I hear this about 25 times a day. To be honest it makes me smile most times :). This fact is why no matter what we make these trips happen. DAS or not.

Ahh, I know those scripts well. But, I'm not sure the changes make the necessity for planning any greater. On my last trip we took my son to Pooh (his primaty fixation) which we are REQUIRED to hit at least once per visit to the MK. The line was only 15 minutes, so we decided to forego the GAC. He played with the interactive qeueue for a bit, and then 10 minutes in Pooh broke down. It wasn't pretty. He started tearing up, then proceded to scratch the back of his hand, then tried to scratch me. Then he tried to push the stranger next to him, so we had to bail quickly. So, we missed our opportunity to get the free fastpasses they handed out for those stuck in line.

Now, 5 years ago, this would have been the end of our day. We would have gone back to the hotel to let him watch a movie, sleep it off, and coe back and try again the next day. But, seeing this as a problem 5 years ago, we've prepped him to fixate on more than one ride. None, will ever match his love of Pooh (oh how I dread the day that ride is closed during our trip) but I was able to bargain IASW, Carousel, and french fries at cosmic rays for one lost ride on pooh. And he begrudgingly took it.

This was all with GAC. "Stuff" happens, especially in a chaotic place like WDW. Relying on any level of predictability is dangerous when dealing with autism, so I've found if you prepare for the worst you'll always be ready and most problems become solvable. Nothing a few french fries can't solve.

Last edited:

luv

I'm always the one holding doors, giving up seats, etc. I'm still young enough to not need.. and believe in doing the right thing.

However, I can also understand the disdain for someone who thinks their need should trump everyone's situation. And in this case, the ECV rider was not being considerate to other's needs as well as their own when she decided unilaterally her handicap access trumps everyone's situation.
Untrue. There is no reason a person in an ECV should refrain from boarding busses because able-bodied people don't want to give up the handicapped seats, which, again, are clearly marked as seats that must be relinquished to others. (Especially when there are other seats on the bus! My goodness! Talk about selfish!)

If they happen to once in a while be able to board the first bus that shows up, good for them. Although they usually wait longer for busses than other people, it doesn't mean they must do that just because able-bodied people don't wish to change seats.

Although Disney bus drivers should not show up and pressure people to not board the bus, if they are doing this, I hope people won't sit there through bus after bus because the bus drivers think able-bodied people shouldn't have to move. :( They shouldn't feel badly! And they should report those bus drivers!!

If I thought that person had done something wrong...if any of the facts had suggested they did something wrong...I'd be the first to say so. Very on the record about people taking advantage, lol.

The people in the handicapped seats should be getting out of them. I would hope they'd do it happily, because they know it's the right thing to do, but they should at least do it.

And good for you, doing the right thing! I suspected as much. :)

Figaro928

Here's the original post:

completely agree. Being "fat" doesn't mean you are disabled, some people it does, but the majority is just plain laziness. The worst I saw on my last trip was a bus pulled up at DTD to the Contemp. and a lady in her early 50's was in a scooter. The bus was about 3/4 full and the driver asked her- "do you want me to wake up these 3 kids since that is the bench I have to put up to park your scooter?" The lady replied: Yes, I want on this bus and am not going to wait for another". Mind you, she just wheeled up about a minute before the bus arrived. So the driver woke up the kids that were sleeping in their parents laps and those parents were quite irrated. Then of course, 5 or 6 others in the scooter lady's party had to board in front of everyone else. She parked the scooter, and then easily walked to an open seat on the bus.

John

You know Flynni, you missed your calling..... should have been a lawyer. Then again.....why take a pay cut.

luv

completely agree. Being "fat" doesn't mean you are disabled, some people it does, but the majority is just plain laziness. The worst I saw on my last trip was a bus pulled up at DTD to the Contemp. and a lady in her early 50's was in a scooter. The bus was about 3/4 full and the driver asked her- "do you want me to wake up these 3 kids since that is the bench I have to put up to park your scooter?" The lady replied: Yes, I want on this bus and am not going to wait for another". Mind you, she just wheeled up about a minute before the bus arrived. So the driver woke up the kids that were sleeping in their parents laps and those parents were quite irrated. Then of course, 5 or 6 others in the scooter lady's party had to board in front of everyone else. She parked the scooter, and then easily walked to an open seat on the bus.
Yup, there it is.

Bus not full.

Bus driver arriving and asking person in the ECV if they would wait for another bus.

People in handicapped seats, which are clearly marked as such, irritated that they had to get out of them for someone in an ECV.

ECV person saying she wants to board, which she should have. And she should have reported the bus driver.

The fact that this time, the person in the ECV got "lucky" (if you can call it that) and was able to get on the first bus that arrived cannot be held against her, lol. Those people usually wait much longer than everyone else. But that doesn't mean that they must. If they once in a while get to wait less time, good for them. On the whole, they will still wait much more time over the course of their trip. They deserve not to ALWAYS, every single time, be the one who waits longer. They deserve the rare occasion that they wait less time and shouldn't pass it up because some able-bodied person doesn't want to change seats. Yeesh! Perish the thought!

Being in an ECV does not mean you should ALWAYS wait longer. If you get a chance to wait less, take it!!!!

The fact that she is fat (or her skin color or anything else) has nothing to do with anything, unless you're the sort who would get up for a thin person, but not a fat one (or a black one, but not a white one or whatever your personal, ignorant, nasty bias may be.)

Witchy Chick

So is that bench marked or NOT marked as "you must yield this seat to the disabled/elderly?" By "put up" I am assuming the bus driver has to physically move (fold?) the seats to accommodate the EVC tethering?

The only seats I recall as being marked "you must yield this seat to the disabled/elderly" are the seats that face "sideways" about 1/3 way (approx) from the front of the bus. I don't think those seats "fold up" to accommodate ECVs or wheelchairs. Or am I wrong?

luv

So is that bench marked or NOT marked as "you must yield this seat to the disabled/elderly?" By "put up" I am assuming the bus driver has to physically move (fold?) the seats to accommodate the EVC tethering?

The only seats I recall as being marked "you must yield this seat to the disabled/elderly" are the seats that face "sideways" about 1/3 way (approx) from the front of the bus. I don't think those seats "fold up" to accommodate ECVs or wheelchairs. Or am I wrong?
All of the handicapped seats on the Disney busses are clearly marked that they need to be relinquished for the handicapped.

I think, but am not sure, that it is also announced on a PA system (they probably aren't called PAs any longer. I don't know the correct term.)

But there are signs.

As pointed out, you could refuse to get out of them. They would likely not have the guts to enforce it. It is unlikely the bus drivers would call security and physically remove you from the seat.

But the signs are there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom