GAC to Become DAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

flynnibus

Premium Member
We will not obviously agree on how the Disney's attorneys opted to interpret the Act, I think poorly, you seem to condone a policy I would never, ever support as it wasn't designed to be successful

If that's what you think is in my posts - I seriously suggest you start all over from the top... after you've gotten some rest.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
No, that's not true. There are MANY people who don't want the disabled to have any kind of "ahead of the line" help, because, "they're getting a better vacation." Or the phrase used in this thread, "not at the expense of my kids. They get hot and tired too!" There is no "twisting", which you're basically calling me a liar. Thanks, btw. Go use the search function and look at every GAC thread, including this one. There is always a discussion on who should get and most frequently, who shouldn't. I am neither twisting, nor making it up.

There are too many of these threads (and I'm REALLY sick of them) where that's what the issue devolves into. So please, I've seen it many times. I've seen the same cast of characters giving high-fives to each other.

Again, (are you reading this? are you following me? are you sure?) we all agree it's being abused. Yes, they need to do something. I don't think this is the best way to enforce it, as my main concern is that people who are severely limited on the number of attractions they can ride to begin with, and will ride a single attraction more than once, are now going to be limited even more. Maybe give them a heavily discounted ticket? I don't know. We'll see.

No not a liar. Interesting you equate the word twist to be equivalent to liar that is twisting what has actually been said once again, you have it down to an art-form. You are manipulating the conversation and being equally as nasty to members as you accuse them of being to DAC users. Funny you can readily see that in others but not yourself. So no, not a liar, your words not mine, but not admirable nonetheless.

WDWDad13

You have the OPTION of narrowing your search for resort rooms by your specific disability. I'm hearing impaired and Disney has specific rooms that meet my needs for telephone, alarms, etc. Same goes for sight issues. I have the OPTION of specifically requesting one of these rooms and the OPTION of disclosing my disability. It is clearly outlined on the Disney website. Disney using the word option is a good choice, very clear. Volunteering information is my OPTION. I have always chosen to be forthcoming as it keeps everyone from being in an awkward position of tap-dancing and then I have little difficulties receiving any assistance I need.
You also will also have the option of using DAS

badamon

wow. some of the responses on here are disturbing. are people really getting upset at the idea that a child with physical or mental disabilities might actually get to wait 10 minutes less than you? Why argue about this? Yes, people abuse the current system, and they should be shamed for their ignorance and audacity. But really, to think that a child or an adult with a life altering disability is somehow getting one over on you and your healthy family because they didn't have to wait in line for Peter Pan is ridiculous. Life is hard enough as it is, and having a disability or having someone in your family with one is no picnic. It's not a pity badge to get free stuff. It's difficult. If you're so concerned, continue writing letter to WDW management expressing your concerns over the abuse of GAC, not berate people who have stories of how it helped them have a nice vacation. I mean, it is all about the magic, right? One place where for a week life is easy and stress free? Maybe that's what the GAC allows for a few families. I understand the frustration, but I think the hate and really inappropriate responses are misguided and aimed at the wrong people.

Thank you for your post. I could not have put it better. We are a family that a has used a GAC for our child with a non-apparent disability for the last few visits and it has simply made our trip happier and more manageable. We were not aware of the GAC on previous visits, making touring the parks more difficult. As our son gets older his coping skills for the challenges that he struggles with have improved immensely and we'll be trying the new DAS system in February with hopes that it works for him. For those individuals here showing such anger towards families like ours, please take a step back and think what it must be like to walk in this individuals shoes for just one day. I can guaranty that you wouldn't wish any disability, especially a non-apparent one, on any child that you cared about.

com·pas·sion
noun
noun: compassion; 

1. sympathetic concern for the sufferings or misfortunes of others.

Goofyernmost

NowInc

To accuse people here of not having compassion is pretty wrong, and a bit insulting. Not a single person here has ever said that those who need the GAC don't deserve it, nor have ANY of them claimed that the "advantage" (quotes used because obviously its not an advantage you WANT to have under the circumstances that you are given it) is unfair.

The point that I see pretty much all the GAC defenders missing is that the general opinion is the system is flawed. It needed to be changed, and it is. Those who LEGITIMATELY need and use it will only be SLIGHTLY more inconvenienced at one point in their day. The payoff? Less ABUSERS using the system and thus clogging up the lines you need to be shorter. I don't think anyone here has said that the program is unfair, nor has anyone here said that they should get rid of it entirely. Also from what I have read, not one person here has said that the NEW system is perfect either. It will take some time and adjustment to make it work, but its a step in the right direction.

Contrary to what has been said here, it IS a BIG problem in WDW (witnessed with my own eyes several times each time I go..which is about once a month). I don't mean just one family abusing it, I mean SEVERAL. I also have heard way too many people discussing the scam process and how they have used it in the past. Don't claim that its only because of the news story that exposed this that is prompting this change, as its also been heavily reported by guests for a while (even a few GAC legitimate families I know have expressed their concerns at guest services as they had to wait upwards of 20 minutes on the fast pass line due to a large amount of abuse).

Its easy to assume everybody is against you when something you have previously had is being taken away (or in this sense changed)...but I am pretty safe in assuming that the LAST thing the company wants is to upset a large group of their guests who indeed do have special needs.

merry68

If only people could be honest.

Bingo.

I have also had experience with someone LYING and saying their kid is severely autistic just for that Disney trip in order to get the Golden Ticket, GAC and not have to wait in line. They seemed proud of getting their kid to actup a bit and then go to the front of every FP line, over and over and over.

Personally I have witnessed several MAK and GKTW families in the parks,mainly during character M&Gs.. the last one we saw, broke me,,, I sobbed and the CM handler did too because it was truly heartbreaking and heartwarming at the same time.

All I can say is I hope Karma bit that lying family and all the other liars out there.

And for all those folks who have followed the rules and are honest, in spite of dealing with any physical or mental issues, may you continue to have a good vacation without any bumps in the road or monorail.

misterID

No not a liar. Interesting you equate the word twist to be equivalent to liar that is twisting what has actually been said once again, you have it down to an art-form. You are manipulating the conversation and being equally as nasty to members as you accuse them of being to DAC users. Funny you can readily see that in others but not yourself. So no, not a liar, your words not mine, but not admirable nonetheless.

Take Flynn's advice, get some rest. It's over your head. I'm stating the type of people out there, and I didn't accuse anyone in this thread, nor call them a name, except the gentlemen whose post said about people who need the card, "not at the expense of my kids, they get hot and tired too!" and I did it without outing him by name. If you identity with those comments that's on you.If you misunderstood what I was saying, fine. This argument goes back a ways, so it's easy not to fully understand where a lot of the tension comes from.

I think this could be a great conversation, and it's nice to see that we can finally have this discussion without the pictures of morbidly obese people on scooters, making fun of people who use GAC cards. (nastiness, anyone?) As I've said, we've had this discussion before, I know what a lot of the "anger" really stems from as pointed out many times that you have either ignored or just overloooked. It's been said, discussed and argued many times. And if you want to do your own "twisting and manipulating" on wordplay, fine, have at it. Before you start accussing me of things, which you are, either a liar or manipulator, try the search function and look through the dozen other threads about this subject, because you're obviously not reading my posts about it. So if anyone thinks they are unfairly being called selfish, well, I haven't called anyone specifically that, I'm describing a group of people that I have experience on this board with... but if you are somehow identifying with that said group that I mentioned, sorry if you are offended :)

Thank you.

Perhaps they could give out a card for discounted purchase for the disabled, which acts as a sort of fastpass/MM+ where they can pre-plan their day and attractions based on a reservation basis?

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Official From Disney -

Disney has an unwavering commitment to making our experiences accessible to all Guests. After careful consideration, we will be replacing the Guest Assistance Card with the new Disability Access Service Card on Oct. 9 to create a more consistent experience for all our Guests while providing accommodations for Guests with disabilities. Until Oct. 9, we will continue to use Guest Assistance Cards. We look forward to sharing more information about the Disability Access Service Card as we get closer to implementation.

Frequently Asked Questions:

How will the new program work?
The Disability Access Service Card will offer Guests a return time for an attraction based on the current wait time. Guest Assistance Cards will continue to be in effect until Oct. 9. We look forward to sharing more information as we get closer to implementation.

Did you ask for feedback in developing the Disability Access Service Card?
We are engaging disability groups, and Autism Speaks was instrumental in providing feedback as we developed this new process.

Why are you doing this?
Given the increasing volume of requests we receive for special access to our attractions, we are changing our process beginning Oct. 9 so that it creates a more consistent experience for all our Guests while providing accommodations for Guests with disabilities.

Who will be eligible for a Disability Access Service Card?
Our goal is to accommodate Guests who aren’t able to wait in a conventional queue environment due to a disability (including non-apparent disabilities).

Will Guests on wish trips also use Disability Access Service Cards?
No. Guests who are visiting through wish-granting organizations will have access through a separate program.

What should Guests do if they have concerns?
Guests should contact Guest Relations to discuss their assistance needs.

Goofyernmost

What's everyone getting so concerned about? No matter where it came from it said absolutely nothing other then when it would start over and over and over.

sedati

Thank you for your post. I could not have put it better. We are a family that a has used a GAC for our child with a non-apparent disability for the last few visits and it has simply made our trip happier and more manageable. We were not aware of the GAC on previous visits, making touring the parks more difficult. As our son gets older his coping skills for the challenges that he struggles with have improved immensely and we'll be trying the new DAS system in February with hopes that it works for him. For those individuals here showing such anger towards families like ours, please take a step back and think what it must be like to walk in this individuals shoes for just one day. I can guaranty that you wouldn't wish any disability, especially a non-apparent one, on any child that you cared about.

com·pas·sion
noun
noun: compassion; 

1. sympathetic concern for the sufferings or misfortunes of others.

I don't mean to call you out specifically, but this post really summarizes a problem I've had with the multiple threads on this subject.
In the past you endured the stand-by line unaware there was a program you qualified for that would help make your trips happier and more manageable.
This is fine, though it should be pointed out that by your own admission a trip via standby was possible though difficult.
Why then, as you bypass the standby line, is there no sense that there aren't others like you still in the line- either unaware of the program, or unwilling to be separated from the herd? As you and many others have stated, there are non-apparent disabilities (and certainly there are) but then why is a line of thousands all judged to be completely able-bodied? And if so, what about the myriad of other hardships that are all a part of life? My personal issues occur at night and I don't think there's anything Disney does for insomnia or the resulting hynagogic hallucinations and migraines this brings about.
I feel no anger towards anyone with a legitimate need for the old or new system and I feel that whatever is done should be widely publicized because while I hate scammers and those who should probably just tough it out with the rest of us it bothers me to think of those with legitimate and sever hardships who were never let in on this secret.
(really hate posting anything negative, but after reading this and the previous thread I just felt there was a point to be made- again, this was nothing personal against badamon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom