GAC to Become DAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimboJones123

The abusers are looking for front of line unlimited access. That ship has sailed. DAS doesn't get you much more than FP+ other than more than 3 reservations in a day. Other than MK is that even an "advantage". For my next trip I had a hard time finding 3 rides to reserve FP for everywhere but MK. Even at MK maybe 5 to 7 rides really need FP.
But for some reason that still is not good enough.

StarWarsGirl

I was at Disney last week and asked for a DAS pass. I have Parkinson's and can't stand for very long. I do need to do some walking but I sit a lot in between. I went to guest services and was refused the pass! They told me get a scooter or wheelchair! I don't need them, I need to do some walking to exercise my legs, just can't stand for long periods in one spot. It was very crowded and I could not get fastpasses which I would have used because by 10am they were all gone! Guess I won't be going back! I loved Disney and my daughter in law even works there, but they have now made it impossible for me to go. I will not pay those prices when I can't even ride a ride.
So sorry! Have you tried contacting Disney? If not, I would. They need feedback. And if you decide to go again, I would contact them and let them know the issue ahead of time. Maybe they can do something for you:).

Also, if you can, try travelling during low season. You won't have the problem as much with Fastpasses, plus I'm sure the lower crowds would make it easier for getting around. Getting caught in a crowd is hard for a "normal" person; I can't imagine how much more for someone with Parkinson's!

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
I'll find the exact post for you guys when I'm not on a tablet. It refers to a report from someone fined in Huntington Beach, CA for using the designated HA stall when not disabled. Fine was in the $200s (I got that wrong). Person fought it in court and lost.

Have an update for us?

pais

....thank you for telling me that I said something 'educated' !! (I'm used to wife & sassy daughters telling me to shut up)

....it's amazing how these ADA laws get twisted and interpreted by all the local jurisdictions (which they can do ....but just not in a manner that lessens the original intent ) ......to the point of complete confusion!

....I do retail, commercial, residential property development design & construction ...and if I had the same project in 10 different jurisdictions ...I'd get 10 different ideas of what's "legal or required".

....I'll go off-track a bit in giving one of my all time best examples. It was in NYC ...where the Buildings Department wanted me to put a handicapped "fueling position" at the gas pump of a service station re-build I was doing. I told the examiner that there were both full-service and self-service fueling positions ...and a handicapped person need not exit their vehicle to fuel their car ...they would just opt to drive up to the full-service position and have the attendant do it. Well ....he told me that: 1). he didn't care ...and 2.) I didn't understand. Because he WANTED ....a 5' foot wide, handicapped blue painted "aisle" adjacent to the fuel pump island ....so that the WHEELCHAIR BOUND GAS STATION ATTENDANT could get his wheelchair between the car and the pumps ...so he could pump gas into cars!!

....now here's where reality comes into play: I told him that it was not required by law, and very unlikely that the gas company would hire someone in a wheelchair. At that point he exploded and told me I was being discriminatory in my thoughts. Well ....that wasn't true at all ...I KNEW that there was NO WAY that the gas company would hire someone in a wheelchair ...to pump gas ...and be an EASY TARGET for robbery since he'd have several hundred dollars on his person at any given time.

.....sorry for the 'detour' ...it was just something that popped into my head related to interpretations of ADA laws..
I respect anyone who can back up their posts with research and experience. That whole gas attendant story was crazy, but not surprising. I'm sure you see a lot in your line of work. After I read your other post I felt silly I used to worry about getting into trouble for bringing my little ones into the handicapped stall. Honestly, wouldn't there also have to be a sign stating a fine for violation, much like a handicapped parking spot? My brother and SIL are both OC deputies and explained to me there must be a sign over a handicapped parking spot in order to fine someone for use (ie not just the blue paint on the ground). Now the whole stall fine sounds positively ludicrous to me. The only 'crime' would be a moral one if you jumped in front of someone disabled or languished while you knew someone was waiting. Again, thank you for your expertise! Love your posts!

startraveler

For what it's worth. I think this might be what the poster was referring to. There was an article on Slate.com about handicapped stall etiquette. This was one of the many letters they got in response to their article. Since it says Huntington Beach it might be the source.

Dear Prudence,
Sorry to inform you that in California it is a finable offense to use a handicapped-designated restroom stall if you're able-bodied. The fine for the first offense is $271. I was riding my bicycle on the state beach at Huntington Beach and was arrested and given a ticket, which the court has upheld--in the winter the beach maintenance closes all but the handicapped facilities, so I guess you are supposed to use the landscape.
--For Real

This whole what is legal/illegal etc conversation is a little disturbing. Most people are embarrassed when they leave a handicapped stall when I am waiting for it especially if all the other stalls are being used. Most people are decent and understand. My concern at WDW, which I have already expressed, is people using the companion bathrooms for their whole family to go (mom, dad and all 4 kids); to change clothes or get dressed for Halloween; using it as a "quiet place to breast feed" or get their baby to sleep; to get "romantic"; etc. while I am waiting. (All this has regularly happened. Even one time someone - a mom and a young son - got security because I was "taking too long".)

Don't know why some people get so upset about us wanting to have a place to use the bathroom. :) perhaps you guys think we've gotten a little uppity when society started recognizing our needs and maybe we've just started getting used to it. Just don't want to go back to the way it was before when we really couldn't go anywhere for more than a few hours if you know what I mean. :)

GoofGoof

Premium Member
For what it's worth. I think this might be what the poster was referring to. There was an article on Slate.com about handicapped stall etiquette. This was one of the many letters they got in response to their article. Since it says Huntington Beach it might be the source.

Dear Prudence,
Sorry to inform you that in California it is a finable offense to use a handicapped-designated restroom stall if you're able-bodied. The fine for the first offense is $271. I was riding my bicycle on the state beach at Huntington Beach and was arrested and given a ticket, which the court has upheld--in the winter the beach maintenance closes all but the handicapped facilities, so I guess you are supposed to use the landscape.
--For Real

This whole what is legal/illegal etc conversation is a little disturbing. Most people are embarrassed when they leave a handicapped stall when I am waiting for it especially if all the other stalls are being used. Most people are decent and understand. My concern at WDW, which I have already expressed, is people using the companion bathrooms for their whole family to go (mom, dad and all 4 kids); to change clothes or get dressed for Halloween; using it as a "quiet place to breast feed" or get their baby to sleep; to get "romantic"; etc. while I am waiting. (All this has regularly happened. Even one time someone - a mom and a young son - got security because I was "taking too long".)

Don't know why some people get so upset about us wanting to have a place to use the bathroom. :) perhaps you guys think we've gotten a little uppity when society started recognizing our needs and maybe we've just started getting used to it. Just don't want to go back to the way it was before when we really couldn't go anywhere for more than a few hours if you know what I mean. :)
I have no actual facts to back this up, but my guess is this guy was using the handicap stall in the public bathroom to change. The fine is probably for changing in a public restroom not for using the handicap stall. I know there are a lot of beach towns near me that have banned changing in restrooms and they will fine you if you get caught. The handicap stall has more room so a likely place to try to change. Just a guess.

flynnibus

Premium Member

So no actual source.. just hearsay from a comment on an article? And as the other poster mentioned, the guy probably got cited for something else.. like changing clothes (which usually is a city ordinance for public restrooms).

This ranks right up there with 'I read it on the internet' :) All too often even truth gets twisted into falsehoods through innocent misinterpretation.

ddrongowski

The abusers are looking for front of line unlimited access. That ship has sailed. DAS doesn't get you much more than FP+ other than more than 3 reservations in a day. Other than MK is that even an "advantage". For my next trip I had a hard time finding 3 rides to reserve FP for everywhere but MK. Even at MK maybe 5 to 7 rides really need FP.
Just wait until everyone that plans their WDW trip grabs all the FP+'s for rides 60 days prior, and all that is left for the others will be FP+'s for parades, character meets, entry times to stores, and other non-rides...

WDWFan_Boston

Since I'm the one who derailed the conversation, let me try to bring it back. ;)

I don't remember, but are Disney's baby changing stations located in the handicapped stalls? Sometimes, if you have to change your baby, the handicapped stall is your only option because they are attached to the wall inside.

There, did that work? Lol.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Since I'm the one who derailed the conversation, let me try to bring it back. ;)

I don't remember, but are Disney's baby changing stations located in the handicapped stalls? Sometimes, if you have to change your baby, the handicapped stall is your only option because they are attached to the wall inside.

There, did that work? Lol.
Real answer is depends on the restroom... the larger restrooms have the can have multiple baby changing stations near the sinks. Some small restrooms have them in the handicapped.

Gabe1

That is what we said when booking FP+ for Epcot. TT, Soar'n and then what? SSE can have a long line but it moves so quick. So what is left?

DHS, TTT, Rock'n and Toy, but Toy wasn't available any day that week. Star didn't have a long line. AK we found 3, Everest (which was a walk on though) Safari and the Dinosaur. You're so right, FP+ only needed to at MK. In my opinion, TT and Soarin would be more do-able if everyone got in the standby queue.

luv

That is what we said when booking FP+ for Epcot. TT, Soar'n and then what? SSE can have a long line but it moves so quick. So what is left?

DHS, TTT, Rock'n and Toy, but Toy wasn't available any day that week. Star didn't have a long line. AK we found 3, Everest (which was a walk on though) Safari and the Dinosaur. You're so right, FP+ only needed to at MK. In my opinion, TT and Soarin would be more do-able if everyone got in the standby queue.
Mission Space is a good one to get. So is Maelstrom if you hit it later in the afternoon.

Me, I'd get Soarin, SSE and Maelstrom. I'd do Test Track first thing in the morning, then Mission Space and Ellen...then to Sunshine Seasons (bite to eat, with any luck, still breakfast with that berry pudding thing), Living With the Land, Soarin, Figment, Nemo and SSE on my way out for a break. Come back later and do the World Showcase (and use that Maelstrom one.)

At DHS, I'd get ToT, RnRc and TGMR. I don't know how close together you can make them, though. I'd want ToT and RnRc back-to-back. If not, I'd try to schedule one for before a BatB show and one for after. Go ride Toy Story first, then Ariel and One Man's Dream, go see Muppets, TGMR, eat and back to the ToT, BatB, RnRc thing.

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member

I actually did TT, Soarin and Illuminations for my trip in 3 weeks. I don't even know if I'll use the Illuminations one, but if we decide not to stake out a spot I know I'll have a space reserved. November isn't exactly a busy time so that does impact things a little. I guess in more crowded times it will pay to book 3 rides. My kids are a little too small for Everest and RNRC so I struggled to find things in those parks too. Bringing this all back on topic, if the new DAS just gives you a return time similar to FP+ it should deter abusers from trying to use it most times of the year.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Just wait until everyone that plans their WDW trip grabs all the FP+'s for rides 60 days prior, and all that is left for the others will be FP+'s for parades, character meets, entry times to stores, and other non-rides...

I'll be in that "everyone" you are talking about. If you can't beat em, join em;)

Gabe1

Mission Space is a good one to get. So is Maelstrom if you hit it later in the afternoon.

Me, I'd get Soarin, SSE and Maelstrom. I'd do Test Track first thing in the morning, then Mission Space and Ellen...then to Sunshine Seasons (bite to eat, with any luck, still breakfast with that berry pudding thing), Living With the Land, Soarin, Figment, Nemo and SSE on my way out for a break. Come back later and do the World Showcase (and use that Maelstrom one.)

At DHS, I'd get ToT, RnRc and TGMR. I don't know how close together you can make them, though. I'd want ToT and RnRc back-to-back. If not, I'd try to schedule one for before a BatB show and one for after. Go ride Toy Story first, then Ariel and One Man's Dream, go see Muppets, TGMR, eat and back to the ToT, BatB, RnRc thing.

I'm in the never ever ever again camp for Mission Space.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom