GAC to Become DAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goofyernmost

However she has stated it's good for her to walk with resting in between. Who is suppose to man this scooter for her while she walks? I would think her circumstances should get her the pass, she doesn't mind waiting she just can't stand in line to do, enjoys walking the parts with breaks to sit and rest but has no one to push a wheel chair around with or without her in it. Why should she be forced into a wheel chair or scooter for her entire trip.

I do agree if a person going to Disney needs a mobility device it should be planned into the budget for the trip.
She didn't say she couldn't stand and walk in the queue, in fact, she said just the opposite. Nothing in life is perfect. We do what we have to do when presented with obstacles.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I'll get shot at for this, but, I have a problem concerning the thought that one can afford to go to Disney to begin with but cannot afford to rent a mobility device. Just like any other part of a visit to Disney when budgets are figured out, you include the cost of that. There are places in the area that rent scooters at a much lower rate then Disney and even deliver them to your hotel on-site or off-site. Look into that you might find that you will indeed be able to enjoy the parks, but at a slightly higher cost. You must account for your own problems and not expect the world to do it for you.

Here's the issue as I see it. You are telling someone who doesn't really need a wheelchair that the only way to get a little help is to rent a wheelchair. There are many situations where you could have a physical condition that would be aggravated by standing for long periods of time but doesn't require you to be wheelchair bound. There was a guy who posted around here a lot who had a back condition where he could walk, but standing still in place really hurt. If all you need is a little help with not standing in line for long periods of time you should not have to jump through the hoop of renting a wheelchair to get that benefit. Your other option is to "fake" a mental issue which then gets you a DAS card so you don't have to wait. The whole point of changing the system was to prevent people who don't need any assistance from using the GAC as a front of the line pass. Now you seem to be creating a system where if someone does need a little help they will have to either rent a wheelchair which they really don't need or fake an ailment that they don't have to get help. Seems kinda silly to change the system to prevent abuse and then tell people the only way you can help them is if they "work" the system. Again, I know there isn't a perfect system and I don't really have a good answer, but it seems a little uneven in application.

Goofyernmost

Here's the issue as I see it. You are telling someone who doesn't really need a wheelchair that the only way to get a little help is to rent a wheelchair. There are many situations where you could have a physical condition that would be aggravated by standing for long periods of time but doesn't require you to be wheelchair bound. There was a guy who posted around here a lot who had a back condition where he could walk, but standing still in place really hurt. If all you need is a little help with not standing in line for long periods of time you should not have to jump through the hoop of renting a wheelchair to get that benefit. Your other option is to "fake" a mental issue which then gets you a DAS card so you don't have to wait. The whole point of changing the system was to prevent people who don't need any assistance from using the GAC as a front of the line pass. Now you seem to be creating a system where if someone does need a little help they will have to either rent a wheelchair which they really don't need or fake an ailment that they don't have to get help. Seems kinda silly to change the system to prevent abuse and then tell people the only way you can help them is if they "work" the system. Again, I know there isn't a perfect system and I don't really have a good answer, but it seems a little uneven in application.
But the bigger point is that they DO NEED a mobility device to enjoy the parks on the same level as people without the problem. If there is a solution, like a scooter, to the problem that eliminates the need for FOL passes and puts them on an absolute even level with others, why isn't that the way to go? And I never said anything about a wheelchair. That is a completely different need. You don't have to do anything except use it to get from attraction to attraction. I'm not talking about using it to get FOL assistance, because with the device FOL is not necessary. Allegedly not being able to afford a device, is not a reason for front of line passes. If that were the case we could argue that many of us should get into the parks for free because the ticket price is too high.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I was at Epcot today and saw several people turned away for mobility issues. I was told by several different CM's that only those with mental issues would be able to get the new DAC.

They just need a disability the wheelchair doesn't cover.

JimboJones123

Could you use one of those walkers that has a seat built into it? That way you can walk all you want, but you have the ability to sit down the very moment you need to. Just thinking out loud...

Before this gets ugly, I would suggest not telling somebody how to deal with their mobility issues. It can get very upsetting and offending even if it is not meant to be. Those 4 wheel walkers are okay for the people that really love them. They can be death traps otherwise. And again, what to do with it when you aren't using it? It's like taking a dog with you everywhere you go.

flynnibus

Premium Member
if you are physically disabled but not bad enough off to be confined to a wheelchair you are out of luck.

Why? The chair is the accommodation.

Someone may ultimately win a lawsuit that they shouldn't be forced to take a chair because of the stigmas associated... Or better yet claim they can't use a chair but chair users would be better off w/o return times. Non-chair users would prefer return times

Goofyernmost

Is anyone besides myself seeing the very reason why a more structured, defined system is needed? You cannot possibly build a system that can deal with every possible situation. It has to be like Triage. Look at the problems and deal with it on a basis of priority. FOL for every possible problem only brings on the problems that GAC experienced. The problem was that the only ones happy about it were the ones that needed it the least.

JimboJones123

Or, the system is set up to keep those from needing "a little help" from getting the help. I mean, who couldn't use "a little help" from time to time? The purpose is for those who genuinely need the extra assistance to get it. I have a terrible knee and hip issue. They really really bug me from time to time. Would it be nice if I never had to wait in lines? Sure would. Would I ever get a DAS/GAC for it? Not in a million lifetimes. Now this is not the mindset of a large chunk of users out there. They would get the DAS/GAC in a heartbeat. To get such an advantage would be a pride point. While, for others, not getting the DAS/GAC is a pride point.

Disney is simply wanting those who NEED it to get it instead of those who WANT it. Parkinson's, totally justified. It is not a cute disease like Michael J Fox makes it out to be. Why it was rejected is beyond me. Perhaps a bit more explanation of the symptoms is necessary?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Or, the system is set up to keep those from needing "a little help" from getting the help. I mean, who couldn't use "a little help" from time to time? The purpose is for those who genuinely need the extra assistance to get it. I have a terrible knee and hip issue. They really really bug me from time to time. Would it be nice if I never had to wait in lines? Sure would. Would I ever get a DAS/GAC for it? Not in a million lifetimes. Now this is not the mindset of a large chunk of users out there. They would get the DAS/GAC in a heartbeat. To get such an advantage would be a pride point. While, for others, not getting the DAS/GAC is a pride point.

Disney is simply wanting those who NEED it to get it instead of those who WANT it. Parkinson's, totally justified. It is not a cute disease like Michael J Fox makes it out to be. Why it was rejected is beyond me. Perhaps a bit more explanation of the symptoms is necessary?

Who gets to decide whether the amount of help you need is considered too little? You say Parkinson's is totally justified, but someone else might say the rules are if you aren't in a wheelchair you shouldn't get any preferential treatment. Everyone has different tolerances for pain and different reactions to sicknesses or situations.

I doubt using a GAC or renting a wheelchair is a point of pride for most people who actually needed it. It was a means to an end and a nice benefit to help people out. Maybe the scumbags who were getting the GAC who had no need at all were proud of their ability to beat the lines.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Why? The chair is the accommodation.

Someone may ultimately win a lawsuit that they shouldn't be forced to take a chair because of the stigmas associated... Or better yet claim they can't use a chair but chair users would be better off w/o return times. Non-chair users would prefer return times
See my post 8 up for my answer to that question.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Is anyone besides myself seeing the very reason why a more structured, defined system is needed? You cannot possibly build a system that can deal with every possible situation. It has to be like Triage. Look at the problems and deal with it on a basis of priority. FOL for every possible problem only brings on the problems that GAC experienced. The problem was that the only ones happy about it were the ones that needed it the least.
In time the system will probably evolve and more exceptions will likely open up. Remember that DAS isn't front of the line anymore. You only get a return time so you don't have to physically wait in line. I still don't see why that wouldn't work for physical ailments too.

Goofyernmost

In time the system will probably evolve and more exceptions will likely open up. Remember that DAS isn't front of the line anymore. You only get a return time so you don't have to physically wait in line. I still don't see why that wouldn't work for physical ailments too.
I would agree, but, I get the very strong feeling that this is not what the people that want it are looking for. They are looking for unlimited Fastpass.

Last edited:

luv

I think a few people here do not realize that they are being wildly offensive, as well as extremely arrogant, a little pretentious and kind of mean. I really believe it wasn't intended, but since it could be hurtful to others, should be pointed out.

It might be a good idea to remember that you aren't that person's doctor and that their doctor is probably giving them better medical advice than you will.

It might also be a good idea to remember that they know more about their problems and how to handle them than you do.

And remember that these people are suffering. Try not to make it worse.

Not everyone in a wheelchair is incapable of walking.

Not everyone who cannot stand for extended periods should be in a wheelchair.

Some people will have problems that prevent them from visiting WDW with it's new policy. It's a shame, but it's a fact.

JimboJones123

An alternative program, that other parks use, is to give you a "one time" line exemption at each attraction. After that "one time" the pass cannot be used on that attraction again.

For those stayijg at WDW for a week and go to MK 5x and could use DAS for an additional 3-5 rides on a specific attraction daily, this alternative does not sound good at all.

So, be thankful that Disney is still willing to take extra steps beyond what they reasonably really need to.

Poofiesdream

However she has stated it's good for her to walk with resting in between. Who is suppose to man this scooter for her while she walks? I would think her circumstances should get her the pass, she doesn't mind waiting she just can't stand in line to do, enjoys walking the parts with breaks to sit and rest but has no one to push a wheel chair around with or without her in it. Why should she be forced into a wheel chair or scooter for her entire trip.

I do agree if a person going to Disney needs a mobility device it should be planned into the budget for the trip.

Thank you for your comment! This is exactly my situation. I have no problem waiting my turn and if fastpass was available I would use them, they are just gone very early.

Nemo14

Thank you for your comment! This is exactly my situation. I have no problem waiting my turn and if fastpass was available I would use them, they are just gone very early.

I don't know if you saw the comment about the walkers with the seat attached. My sister uses one for complications she has from Lyme disease, and it has helped her a lot for waiting in lines.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I would, but, I get the very strong feeling that this is not what the people that want it are looking for. They are looking for unlimited Fastpass.
The abusers are looking for front of line unlimited access. That ship has sailed. DAS doesn't get you much more than FP+ other than more than 3 reservations in a day. Other than MK is that even an "advantage". For my next trip I had a hard time finding 3 rides to reserve FP for everywhere but MK. Even at MK maybe 5 to 7 rides really need FP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom