GAC to Become DAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

pddmom

and just because i have been wanting to say it and she brought autism (or what i think is she is referring to autism) autism and autism spectrum are not different, they are the same. autism is a spectrum disorder, high to low. and you can not discipline autism away. very few therapies have been found to be beneficial, the most being applied behavior analysis, not discipline. Please stop perpetuating this belief of autism that children just need discipline. It just gives the public (people on here) a misconception of autism. Being a single parent of a child with a disability, I am going to be angry when I read negative things, hate me, chastise me, yell at me, I don't care. I wish I could be as calm as others, but I am not. The message is ...don't say bad stuff about people with disabilities. I don't say bad stuff about your kids. Hate me. I don't care. Don't hate my kids.

OswaldTheRabbit

This lawsuit has me SO ANGRY!!!

I as a mom of an autistic child am appalled that she has decides she is the spokeswoman on this cause. She is a raving lunatic that is selfish, narcissistic, feels entitled and clearly spoiled. Why on earth she would ruin this for her child is beyond me.

So here is my voice.....
Yes I use a disney as a therapy of sorts for my son.

Yes I use Disney as a teaching tool on waiting and have expanded his tolerance if lines through it.

Yes he said his first word their after years of waiting. I cried like a baby!

Yes I am his parent and set limits on him as I do with my other child.

Yes I will use DAC as it was meant to be.... A fair way that ALL get to enjoy the park.

No he is not allowed to loop rides.

Ugh.... This (and she) is awful.

Wikkler

They call it 'Autism Spectrum Disorder' now, but my son's condition used to be called 'Asperger's Syndrome'

And he absolutely loved going to the theme parks.
He even said it was his "happy place"
We only knew about the GAC card on our last day of the trip, and we used it on the attractions that were busy. Everest, Kali, Primeval Whirl, and Dinosaur.
I don't think using DAS will affect our next trip too much, we used FASTPASS the other 5 days.

Oh, and he's begging me to go again.

luv

I never heard of Autistic Hippie. She doesn't bother me because I don't read (or watch) her blog or follow her on Facebook.

It amazes me that so many people in the Disney community pay so much attention to others that they don't like and then rant about those people here. In some cases, I can pin down (I think) why they do it. Sometimes, I'm at a total loss for any explanation.

If anyone would like to explain to me WHY they pay attention to these people, I'd be glad to hear the reasoning.

Lucky

I never heard of Autistic Hippie. She doesn't bother me because I don't read (or watch) her blog or follow her on Facebook.

It amazes me that so many people in the Disney community pay so much attention to others that they don't like and then rant about those people here. In some cases, I can pin down (I think) why they do it. Sometimes, I'm at a total loss for any explanation.

If anyone would like to explain to me WHY they pay attention to these people, I'd be glad to hear the reasoning.
Like x 1000

Reactions: luv

OswaldTheRabbit

I completely ignored her until I found out she was filing a lawsuit. This bothered me so much because it is awful and sometimes the squeaky wheel can ruin things for us sane people.

Yensid1974

The big reason to pay attention is because in our society the squeaky whells have proven to beb very successful in getting what they want ecen though they represent a very, very small segment of society. By the rest of us not keeping our eyes and ears open to things like this and rallying against stupidity we all end up better off.

You have no idea how great this will be on certain attractions. An attraction like Toy Story that has such a small capacity per hour was sometimes getting 50% of the rider of GAC use.

I was so frustrated last Friday when I saw 3 people who were in their 20's, looked like Cast, using 3 of them to get 18 onto Coaster. The pictures will scare those people away in a heartbeat.

Having to use GAC for a child who broke their leg right before our trip last year there are 2 problems with this statement. First of all on Toy Story there is a total different line for GAC with designated cars for that line. One lucky night we were able to ride 2x in a row. We felt bad since there was a long line for the normal line. The cast members said not to worry about it, they couldn't move them over any way, it would just go through empty if we didn't ride it again. Few days later we waited an hour, not complaining just saying, because there was a large group of GAC in front of us and only a few cars that could be used at a time. Plus with non-transfers it takes awhile to assemble and reassemble the special wheelchair cars.
2nd problem is that you can't always tell who is disabled by looking at them. Yes, probably were abusing but don't always assume.
If we go again I may need special assistance as I have a couple herniated discs in my back that are getting worse. I may not 'look' like I need it but standing in line is not going to be an option any more for me.

BroganMc

Answer: this is typical message forum behavior. Find something online to whine about, reference anything that supports your whine, then post about it incessantly until you drive everyone else to either ignore you or follow you collecting likes.

There are some in this thread who cannot stop whining about their perceptions of GAC/DAS abuse and how it has presumably made their vacations suffer. So they drag out Autism Hippie and search for postings like hers to fuel their rants.

It's not about disability or how programs for the disabled. Those discussions are happening in other threads and forums.

This is all about how a few feel cheated. Just substitute the term disabled and put in FP+ and you have essentially the same debate. Some will always feel they got the short end of the stick.

Ironic thing is FP+ will affect far more people than GAC did. Just check into those threads and see how the FP lines are filling up and Standbys getting longer because there are no more paper FPs.

Tom Morrow

The reason she is getting this attention from the forum is because her and people like her have the potential to make Disney back off on their new program, and if they do, everything will be right back where it started. Disney's reputation to giving in to literally anything a guest whines about has created subgroup of Disney Park guests like her, and by continuing to give in to them, they continue to ruin it for everyone else.

Its also too early to see how FP+ will affect the standby lines. Its unfortunate that the switch to DAS came at the same time as the FP+ rollout.

Last edited by a moderator:
Everyone who complains so much about the GAC should spend a day with a disabled child. I am much more patient after having my temporary disabled child. After pushing a chair around and dealing with people walking in front of her, ever tried stopping a chair with a full grown child in it? It's not the same as a small child in a stroller! Having people stand if front of her at parades, etc. if a few people cheat the system I really dont care. I'd rather wait in line 5 more minutes and relax instead of searching the crowds for who I think are cheaters, as long as people who need GAC get to use it as needed.

natatomic

The reason she is getting this attention from the forum is because her and people like her have the potential to make Disney back off on their new program, and if they do, everything will be right back where it started. Disney's reputation to giving in to literally anything a guest whines about has created subgroup of Disney Park guests like her, and by continuing to give in to them, they continue to ruin it for everyone else.

Its also too early to see how FP+ will affect the standby lines. Its unfortunate that the switch to DAS came at the same time as the FP+ rollout.

This.

Ironic thing is FP+ will affect far more people than GAC did. Just check into those threads and see how the FP lines are filling up and Standbys getting longer because there are no more paper FPs.

If they are, that's not the reason. The exact same # of FPs are still being given out; but some are paper tickets and some are on the magic bands. The amount is unchanged with the same merge ratio that there's always been. But the kinks in the system (since we are still in the testing phase), are what's holding up both lines.

willtravel

How different is Disney's policy to Sea World And Universal on this issue? If you happen to know?

luv

The reason she is getting attention is that people have drawn attention to her. What I wonder is how they'd even heard of her in the first place...why they followed her. That's what I don't get.
You don't think that was a coincidence, do you?

BroganMc

This.

If they are, that's not the reason. The exact same # of FPs are still being given out; but some are paper tickets and some are on the magic bands. The amount is unchanged with the same merge ratio that there's always been. But the kinks in the system (since we are still in the testing phase), are what's holding up both lines.

Might I suggest there's also the effect of using fP+s more often than people did paper FPs. It's easier to commit to a ride schedule you pre planned over a few hours than come back much later in the day.
I'm saying FP+ is being redeemed more than FP. That's another reason you know Disney wanted GAC users out of the system. To make room for Disney 2.0. ;)

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Might I suggest there's also the effect of using fP+s more often than people did paper FPs. It's easier to commit to a ride schedule you pre planned over a few hours than come back much later in the day.
I'm saying FP+ is being redeemed more than FP. That's another reason you know Disney wanted GAC users out of the system. To make room for Disney 2.0. ;)

Interesting theory and it may very well play out that way, but there is no actual evidence that FP+ is being redeemed more than regular FP since it isn't even rolled out yet except in limited testing. My theory is that more FP+ reservations will be made then current FP tickets are distributed. That's just basic math. More rides have FP+ and they are forcing you to reserve 3 things. Where I think it will get interested is to see how many FP+ reservations get used. It's my theory that there will be a much larger percentage of FP reservations that will go unused. People end up in a different park or on the other side of a park or eating a meal and they don't use the advance reservations. Many people currently only use FP for the big headliners that get big lines. If you have a FP+ reservation for the Tea Cups between 10am and 11am and you walk up at 9:30 and there isn't a line you are not going to wait until 10am to ride you will just ride standby at 9:30 and waste your FP reservation. If you have a reservation for Splash Mountain or TSMM you will probably be more likely to use it and not waste it. Not sure what all of this means when you add it up, but it could only result in a very minor increase in FP usage if at all. We will have to wait and see.

Back on topic, I'm not sure I buy into the connection between the GAC change and FP+. If the roll out of FP+ is the reason for the change then why are they making a change at DLR?

TP2000

How different is Disney's policy to Sea World And Universal on this issue? If you happen to know?

They all appear to be basically the same thing. Disney currently has the most advanced system with a color photo of the cardholder printed on the special card, and a QR code to be used in the future for additional fraud prevention. Sea World's looks the most basic, with just a simple spreadsheet printed on a piece of copy paper.

The one difference between the three parks is the amount of wait time a ride must have before the pass has to be used instead of just zipping in the exit or Fastpass or Express Pass lanes.

The current threshold wait times that must be reached to activate these similar systems;
Sea World - 15 Minutes
Disney - 20 Minutes
Universal - 30 Minutes

It would be nice if George K. could invite the heads of Universal and Sea World to a nice dinner in a back booth at Victoria & Albert's and come to a cozy agreement that they will all go to a 20 Minute standard for their disabled cards. Then everything would be equal across all the parks in Orlando, and SoCal too.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Everyone who complains so much about the GAC should spend a day with a disabled child. I am much more patient after having my temporary disabled child. After pushing a chair around and dealing with people walking in front of her, ever tried stopping a chair with a full grown child in it? It's not the same as a small child in a stroller! Having people stand if front of her at parades, etc. if a few people cheat the system I really dont care. I'd rather wait in line 5 more minutes and relax instead of searching the crowds for who I think are cheaters, as long as people who need GAC get to use it as needed.
I agree with you for the most part. In my mind the needs of those who are truly disabled outweigh my desire to not wait in line for a few extra minutes. I am very thankful that everybody in my family is physically and mentally able to stand in line for an hour or more. When I am at WDW I am too busy enjoying time with my family to be caught up in who is cheating the system. I do believe the many cast members and regular visitors who post on these boards that the abuse was a growing problem. I think mostly anybody would be glad to allow a person with a true need to go in front of them. The issue comes in with rampant abuse. The system as it existed was unfortunately heavily abused. I applaud Disney for making an effort to cut down on the abuse. Not because it saves me 5 minutes while I wait in line, but because it's just wrong and should be stopped. From what I understand Disney worked with Autism Speaks and other groups when coming up with the new system. I am sure it won't be perfect for everyone, but it should still provide a high level of service to those with needs while cutting out at least some of the abuse.

One thing that really gets to me are the reports that a significant portion of the abusers are CMs. Just disgusting. They are already getting into the parks for free and should be held to a higher standard because they are representing TWDC. In order for CMs to get a GAC they should have required them to register for it through their supervisors. It would have cut out most of the abuse from CMs. Some kid in the college program isn't going to ask his boss for a front of the line pass unless they are truly disabled.

JerseyDad

I agree with you for the most part. In my mind the needs of those who are truly disabled outweigh my desire to not wait in line for a few extra minutes. I am very thankful that everybody in my family is physically and mentally able to stand in line for an hour or more. When I am at WDW I am too busy enjoying time with my family to be caught up in who is cheating the system. I do believe the many cast members and regular visitors who post on these boards that the abuse was a growing problem. I think mostly anybody would be glad to allow a person with a true need to go in front of them. The issue comes in with rampant abuse. The system as it existed was unfortunately heavily abused. I applaud Disney for making an effort to cut down on the abuse. Not because it saves me 5 minutes while I wait in line, but because it's just wrong and should be stopped. From what I understand Disney worked with Autism Speaks and other groups when coming up with the new system. I am sure it won't be perfect for everyone, but it should still provide a high level of service to those with needs while cutting out at least some of the abuse.

One thing that really gets to me are the reports that a significant portion of the abusers are CMs. Just disgusting. They are already getting into the parks for free and should be held to a higher standard because they are representing TWDC. In order for CMs to get a GAC they should have required them to register for it through their supervisors. It would have cut out most of the abuse from CMs. Some kid in the college program isn't going to ask his boss for a front of the line pass unless they are truly disabled.

....yes ..Autism Speaks was consulted. And they were very clear to state that they didn't endorse the DAS in any way, shape or form. There is a YouTube video that shows a representative basically stating that nothing about the DAS will work ...and has an ATTITUDE that pretty much stinks ...and relays the message ..."leave it alone, we'll only like it the way it was".

Tom Morrow

Pretty similar. And it isn't just similar to Universal and Sea World, but rather essentially every theme park.
The reports are coming from groups like Autism Hippie because they can't accept that they contributed to getting it removed by riding attractions over and over and over. Did some CMs have the cards that didn't need them? Yes, but the fraction was minuscule compared to the number of cards given out.
The reason she is getting attention is that people have drawn attention to her. What I wonder is how they'd even heard of her in the first place...why they followed her. That's what I don't get. You don't think that was a coincidence, do you?
Her original Youtube videos spread through the forums and among CMs which is why everyone found out about it, and unfortunately, probably what she wanted. Again, she is "worth" watching because people like her are what could get Disney to backpedal on the new policy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom