GAC to Become DAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

arko

Thanks that could explain it. I didn't ask his sons disability as it was none of my business and being disabled myself I know some disabled people don't want to discuss it unless they broach the subject first. I used one on space mountain (he gave me 12!!!!) and have the rest in my waist bag still. Reading your explanation makes me feel guilty about using the remaining ones now as they were probably issued for reasons other than 'bad legs'. I'll probably ditch the rest to be honest.

12 seems like an awfully high number. I was hearing 2-3 even if you were there multiple days.

My wife read about them from a blogger who had been given a tour of the system the first day, she made it sound like this would be standard, but we were not offered, nor did we demand any as we wanted to try the system as it was designed.

Lucky

12 seems like an awfully high number. I was hearing 2-3 even if you were there multiple days.

My wife read about them from a blogger who had been given a tour of the system the first day, she made it sound like this would be standard, but we were not offered, nor did we demand any as we wanted to try the system as it was designed.
It would be great if you could report on your experience with DAS here...

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/using-the-new-disability-access-service-das-card.875109/

...even if it's copying and pasting from some things you've written already on this thread. That thread is designed to be a useful just-the-facts-ma'am resource for trip planners who don't have the time or inclination to wade through all of the debates and opinion in this thread. Thanks!

natatomic

I asked my GR friend about the re-ads -who gets them and how many they receive - and he said basically they're just supposed to give them how ever many they ask for. It was a brief conversation, so I don't know if this is standard, if it's temporary, or what.

asianway

They were giving bloggers tours? I'd love to know more info

BroganMc

I never thought wheelchair non transfers were getting the FOTL access because of the vehicles required. That was hammered home by the fact that the people who are howling the loudest about these changes were the non transfers who were given FOTL (or as close as possible due to the FP waiting time) access in an unlimited capacity. It was furthered by the blogger mentioned above whose was "aghast" at the wheelchair guests loading onto the HM ride at the exit while her son had to wait a whole 10 minutes in line. :rolleyes:

Hee hee. Yeah I know the blogger you're talking about. I was one of the wheelies who responded to her post and corrected her.

I asked my GR friend about the re-ads -who gets them and how many they receive - and he said basically they're just supposed to give them how ever many they ask for. It was a brief conversation, so I don't know if this is standard, if it's temporary, or what.

Thanks for the info. I'm going to assume it is just temporary. I could see a policy of giving out a few to start off someone's vacation on a good note, but an every day thing would be abused quickly.

FWIW the CM at Test Track gave me 4 Re-Entry passes for that ride when I went there for my Return Time. I ended up not using them because my helper wasn't with me to lift me onto the ride. Then it was too cold for me and the next day we went to separate parks. But the offer was very nice and would have allowed me to enjoy my first day using DAS better. (I had a dinner conflict that kept me from riding once I did catch up to my helper.) I made sure the CM got credit for "making a little magic" for me.

I imagine this is all a case-by-case basis. Something to get people over the hump.

DAS users really need to learn how to plan their rides better. GAC gave you freedom not to plan whc=ich makes it so difficult for some. But it is possible. I'm looking forward to my NYE trip where I'll have FP+ at my disposal as well as DAS. (And yeah I know I don't do many rides, but it'll be fun to try my hand at the organizing.)

backinaction

That's one reason to be glad Guest Relations is being so stringent in their questioning and granting of DAS cards.
lets be honest. guest relations still has to give you a DAS no matter what bs your coming up with. all that happens now is you can't get to the front of the line without waiting alittle bit. this will still be abused.

JimboJones123

Hee hee. Yeah I know the blogger you're talking about. I was one of the wheelies who responded to her post and corrected her.

Thanks for the info. I'm going to assume it is just temporary. I could see a policy of giving out a few to start off someone's vacation on a good note, but an every day thing would be abused quickly.

FWIW the CM at Test Track gave me 4 Re-Entry passes for that ride when I went there for my Return Time. I ended up not using them because my helper wasn't with me to lift me onto the ride. Then it was too cold for me and the next day we went to separate parks. But the offer was very nice and would have allowed me to enjoy my first day using DAS better. (I had a dinner conflict that kept me from riding once I did catch up to my helper.) I made sure the CM got credit for "making a little magic" for me.

I imagine this is all a case-by-case basis. Something to get people over the hump.

DAS users really need to learn how to plan their rides better. GAC gave you freedom not to plan whc=ich makes it so difficult for some. But it is possible. I'm looking forward to my NYE trip where I'll have FP+ at my disposal as well as DAS. (And yeah I know I don't do many rides, but it'll be fun to try my hand at the organizing.)
If numbers are down from the insane GAC uses, this kind of disgression may become a regular thing.

It would be great for CMs to be empowered to make the call on rerides and fastpasses. Plus, it may help build a culture of Honey over Vinegar with such things. Less empowerment attitude could be rewarded. A way for CMs to thank the grateful.

JerseyDad

That's one reason to be glad Guest Relations is being so stringent in their questioning and granting of DAS cards.

.....I find something kinda' funny about this whole issue ...involving the more thorough questioning of guests by GR personnel.

....what's "funny" ...is that on other boards / blogs that are talking about this topic .....at first ..it was complete anger and disbelief that Disney would do this "to us" ...and a mob mentality of "we'll get back at them".

....then ...there seems to have been a division amongst the disabled community ...with some being partly in favor ...others still strictly against it ...others off on a tangent about being labeled as disabled due to the name of the DAS ...and still more going in another direction regarding the disclosure of their "need" reasons (ie: What disability do you have"?) ...and an adhering to the HIPAA privacy issues.

.....now ...I see many resigning themselves to the fact that this isn't going away, with some, outwardly revealing ways to "get around" it all ...ie: beat the system ......but MANY ....grasping for straws and saying we'll do anything to get back some of our "FOTL" privileges ...including several persons that I saw that are willing to waive their HIPAA rights, or suggesting to create a "disabled person database" so that they get what they want.

....it seems that it's 'convenient' to not be considered as "equal" sometimes. However, I sincerely doubt that anyone would want to become "tracked" as part of disabled children's database .....because history has proven that it could be not such a wonderful thing.....

JimboJones123

HOW DARE THEY WORK SO HARD TO HAVE A FUNCTIONING SYSTEM IN PLACE TO PROVIDE BENEFIT TO THE DISABLED!?

THEY SHOULD BEND OVER BACKWARDS FOR ME AND MY 3000 CLOSEST FRIENDS EVERY DAY!

arko

HOW DARE THEY WORK SO HARD TO HAVE A FUNCTIONING SYSTEM IN PLACE TO PROVIDE BENEFIT TO THE DISABLED!?

THEY SHOULD BEND OVER BACKWARDS FOR ME AND MY 3000 CLOSEST FRIENDS EVERY DAY!

The GAC was a benefit as it provided better access, the DAS is an accommodation as it provides a basic accommodation nothing more.

The thing is it provides a benefit to the able bodied abusers who will simply use it as extra FP's on all those E ticket rides most real GAC users never went on anyway.

There is already a thread discussing how FP's are disappearing quicker than normal every day as the slots are being taken up by FP+ users. Once everyone is limited to 3 FP's a day the DAS will be ripe for abuse, and we will be having this same discussion in 6 months with everyone screaming about DAS abuse.

JimboJones123

The GAC was a benefit as it provided better access, the DAS is an accommodation as it provides a basic accommodation nothing more.

The thing is it provides a benefit to the able bodied abusers who will simply use it as extra FP's on all those E ticket rides most real GAC users never went on anyway.

There is already a thread discussing how FP's are disappearing quicker than normal every day as the slots are being taken up by FP+ users. Once everyone is limited to 3 FP's a day the DAS will be ripe for abuse, and we will be having this same discussion in 6 months with everyone screaming about DAS abuse.
Are you trying to tell us you don't like the DAS then?

<ducks>

arko

.....I find something kinda' funny about this whole issue ...involving the more thorough questioning of guests by GR personnel.

....what's "funny" ...is that on other boards / blogs that are talking about this topic .....at first ..it was complete anger and disbelief that Disney would do this "to us" ...and a mob mentality of "we'll get back at them".

....then ...there seems to have been a division amongst the disabled community ...with some being partly in favor ...others still strictly against it ...others off on a tangent about being labeled as disabled due to the name of the DAS ...and still more going in another direction regarding the disclosure of their "need" reasons (ie: What disability do you have"?) ...and an adhering to the HIPAA privacy issues.

.....now ...I see many resigning themselves to the fact that this isn't going away, with some, outwardly revealing ways to "get around" it all ...ie: beat the system ......but MANY ....grasping for straws and saying we'll do anything to get back some of our "FOTL" privileges ...including several persons that I saw that are willing to waive their HIPAA rights, or suggesting to create a "disabled person database" so that they get what they want.

....it seems that it's 'convenient' to not be considered as "equal" sometimes. However, I sincerely doubt that anyone would want to become "tracked" as part of disabled children's database .....because history has proven that it could be not such a wonderful thing.....

Disney has every right to ask for proof, they simply choose not to, this has nothing to do with HIPAA.

The disabled community doesn't really speak with one voice because the needs of the disabled vary with the disability.

arko

Are you trying to tell us you don't like the DAS then?

<ducks>

Listen denying that the GAC did not make our trips to Disney a lot easier would be foolish, because it did. But lets be honest the disabled for the most part were not the cause of GAC abuse. The fault there lies with able bodied/minded abusers who took a benefit Disney generously gave to disabled guests and caused a massive issue for all guests.

The nice thing about he GAC is that it worked for just about any disability. but it benefits simply made it too easy a target.

So your going to see a lot of anger because for some it feels like we got punished for something we didn't do. Some will argue the point more eloquently than others, and some will simply hold their breaths like a child or scream unfair like many of the people who complain any form of GAC is too much because it affects their vacation.

So back to the original question do I like the DAS, well it really doesn't matter what I like, it's what they are offering, so we will have to work within that framework. Based on our 2 days using it this past weekend its definitely going to mean a longer day at the park, or a day cut short with things missed that we would normally have been able to do. FP+ might help this but it's too early too tell how well it is going to work for AP's and others who tend to go to Disney without extensive planning. FP+ will be useless to us if there are no passes to the rides we want to go on.

BroganMc

Most of what I read (and have personally experienced) is that DAS is initially more complicated to understand for the disabled who'd grown accustomed to how GAC worked. DAS covers a much narrower disability issue than GAC did. That is turning some people away who really do need services but lack the experience in explaining why.

Unfortunately ANY disability access system that is granted based solely on the word of the guest and covers hidden disabilities will open a window for abusers. I sarcastically called it people coming up with "line avoidance disorders".

As arko pointed out with the current FP/FP+ transition Disney is creating a situation where non-disabled guests will seek remuneration with DAS. If Disney management isn't careful, they'll just be shifting the problem to another field. Remember DAS provides at least a guaranteed FP for every ride. (And in many cases one that is better than a regular traditional paper FP because the return time is within an hour or two, not later that night.)

I'm skeptical that Disney management has thought through both programs sufficiently. That's one reason I anticipate a great deal of problems over the next year and guest dissatisfaction. I don't have any trips planned for Spring next year (first time in 10 years I don't). I'd already decided to give Disney a rest so I could go other places. But as I start to work out my plans for next Autumn and Christmas, I find myself pleased I'll be given Disney plenty of time to correct their wrongs. (Or at least realize them.) I'm actually secretly hoping with all the changes people will STOP coming to WDW for a while. Punish them monetarily and then force TDO to put some real thought and money into bettering the experience for everyone. They've been resting on their laurels far too long these past 3-5 years.

BroganMc

Listen denying that the GAC did not make our trips to Disney a lot easier would be foolish, because it did. But lets be honest the disabled for the most part were not the cause of GAC abuse. The fault there lies with able bodied/minded abusers who took a benefit Disney generously gave to disabled guests and caused a massive issue for all guests.

The nice thing about he GAC is that it worked for just about any disability. but it benefits simply made it too easy a target.

So your going to see a lot of anger because for some it feels like we got punished for something we didn't do.
Some will argue the point more eloquently than others, and some will simply hold their breaths like a child or scream unfair like many of the people who complain any form of GAC is too much because it affects their vacation.

So back to the original question do I like the DAS, well it really doesn't matter what I like, it's what they are offering, so we will have to work within that framework. Based on our 2 days using it this past weekend its definitely going to mean a longer day at the park, or a day cut short with things missed that we would normally have been able to do. FP+ might help this but it's too early too tell how well it is going to work for AP's and others who tend to go to Disney without extensive planning. FP+ will be useless to us if there are no passes to the rides we want to go on.

Bravo arko, very well put.

Might I add there were a few disabled GAC users who did abuse it, however. I'm thinking of the powerwheelchair lady who'd spend the day continually looping through TSM and hogging the one wheelchair car. One could argue the loopers on other attractions (like taking the fixated autistic kid on Peter Pan) did the same. But these people were few and far between. The largest abusers were the fakers and borderline (oh I can't stand long periods - so why not rent an ECV like every 80 yr old?). Those are the sorts of conscienceless people Disney needs to proactively keep out.

The more I think about FP+ the more I think it may solve a lot of my needs better than DAS. My ONLY concern with it is I have difficulty scheduling my activities far in advance. I usually don't bother making ADRs until I'm a week away from my trip, or many times DURING my trip.

Criticism I have about how Disney is setting up FP+ is they are creating a bad situation with their 60 day out availability. That's going to make going to E ticket attractions as difficult for some as getting a breakfast ADR at Cinderella's Castle was. Unless they plan to put in a lot more queue activities to entertain the guests, you can bet your bottom dollar guest dissatisfaction will skyrocket. CMs at TSM have had to deal with angry guests bemoaning no FPs since that ride opened. They should have been the ones to design a new program.

BaconPancakes

So what was the point of the these changes again if they are giving out thousands of Fast Passes and "ReAds" on a daily basis? Might as well just go back to the old system because now the Fast Passes are just going to run out for the people who are not entitled. Sad...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom