News Future World confirmed to be split into 3 neighborhoods

Missing20K

To each their own. I much rather have a park that's bright and full of life and investments over a rotting corpse of an idea that was being dragged down the road by a team not willing to put it out of it's misery...

giphy.gif
Not entirely disagreeing. Just feel they should have done it correctly and rebranded. Leaving it named Epcot is nearly blasphemous.

The rotting corpse is being killed by the same executives that had a choice to save it.

Missing20K

That does present a interesting question of what a new name could be? And I'm not talking about all the parody names like IPcot that got old really fast...
Based on how they've been naming things.

"Walt Disney World's Park of the World: Celebration, Nature, Discovery and Showcase; Adventures for the Entire Family based on Beloved Disney Characters"

Might be tough to fit on a pin.

GeneralKnowledge

The Epcot "lands" have always been called World.

World Showcase
Future World

Calling them "Showcase" would make even less sense.

Yeah but the word World in World showcase was referring to the content of the area. It’s the descriptor of the area referred to by Showcase. In Future World, the descriptor is Future and World defines it as an area. It would make more sense to do Discovery World, Nature World, etc if you want to consistently feature the word World.

GeneralKnowledge

I appreciate that they’re making a lot of changes to the appearance of the core of the park that should overall be nice to walk around in. I just feel like it’s going to be al of of fluff without much content. Back in the day you could spend hours of your Epcot day in Communicore and Innvoentions. Now we’re supposed to be excited that they’re reinvigorating that area with a pretty new environment but I suspect that it’s going to be devoid of anything worth spending any appreciable amount of time at.

Timothy_Q

Not that I would ever want it to change, but given the new "neighborhood" names, does it really make sense to keep the name EPCOT? Again, let me repeat, I never want that to change, but is it really now a community of tomorrow?
EPCOT the park was never a community of tomorrow, nor was it an acronym

That was the never built E.P.C.O.T. of Walt's plans

SteamboatJoe

I appreciate that they’re making a lot of changes to the appearance of the core of the park that should overall be nice to walk around in. I just feel like it’s going to be al of of fluff without much content. Back in the day you could spend hours of your Epcot day in Communicore and Innvoentions. Now we’re supposed to be excited that they’re reinvigorating that area with a pretty new environment but I suspect that it’s going to be devoid of anything worth spending any appreciable amount of time at.
With 4 parks, 2 water parks, a mini golf course, and a variety of other resort-based entertainment, I'm not sure the average guest feels like you can spend an appreciable amount of time in any one place these days over the course of a stay of typical length. Factor in many are also trying to cram in Universal and/or SeaWorld, and the time crunch gets even more hectic. I'm not saying it's right or the way things should be but it is reality for many.

lazyboy97o

A big part of the original plan for Epcot was experimenting with urban planning. I do believe that the new festival center is closer to the original vision with the natural park on the third level with the monorail nearby and the new gondolas being seen in the distance - another nod for urban planning for a new type of transportation at Disney World.
A building plopped into a field is not urban design.

JohnD

They just made overt what we knew already. The west side was always about the earth, environment, etc. The east side about technology, space, etc. So let's just throw up our hands and say we can't envision any more into the future and just say exactly what those areas are.

DanielBB8

I hate another controversy about what's wrong with how Disney is naming their new lands. For the first time, their naming convention is correct at Epcot. 2 word lands is simple to describe. My gripe is there's nothing for people to want to visit. It might look beautiful, but it's mainly more walking around. The most interesting thing is the platform with an above ground garden and a glass platform. What's missing is any indication of how it will be used. I can imagine it being a restaurant on 2 levels with perfect views of the lagoon show, but that's not the presentation. It's a lot of money spent that could have been more gradual in favor of attractions that should have been the first priority. The placemaking can be secondary and done over the next 20 years.

BoarderPhreak

Honestly, if the front half of Epcot comes to fruition with World Discovery/Celebration/Nature as advertised... I'd be pretty chuffed. I didn't think I could say that, as big a fan as I am of the original EPCOT Center. But there comes a point when resting (and hoping) on nostalgia becomes a lost cause. I'd love to see Future World reborn, but does anyone really see that ever happening? Technology isn't this new, shiny thing that it was back in the 80s (sadly) and trying to update (and keep updated) such an experience just doesn't really work anymore.

Epcot is becoming a sort of "grown up" park; a sort of World's Fair for the ages. With the back half of the park being World Showcase, the redesign makes a lot of sense and will bring cohesiveness back to the park in a big way. Clearly festivals will be a big part of that (and honestly, they're a cash cow).

As I've said before, anything would be an improvement over "Future World" as it exists today. A bit of a shame that we're departing from the original concept but this is a way forward that works.

Did anyone seem to catch the answers to these questions I have?

1) What is the fate of Club Cool? Originally, it sounded as though it was going to be relocated, but now, no mention of it, nor does it seem to fit in any of the announced "neighborhoods".

2) In the announcements, it seems as though the Imagination pavilion was left out (oddly enoungh, since it is most in need of help). Neither the Nature Neighborhood, nor the Celebrate Neighborhhood claim it in any of the press materials. Has its fate been determined?

3) A MIGHTY sore spot for me.... Is there any official word on the continuing use of the Innoventions Plaza Theme. It doesn't seem to make sense in New Epcot, where Innoventions no longer exists, but Epcot is not Epcot without that theme.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
Did anyone seem to catch the answers to these questions I have?

1) What is the fate of Club Cool? Originally, it sounded as though it was going to be relocated, but now, no mention of it, nor does it seem to fit in any of the announced "neighborhoods". It will be relocated to Innoventions East

2) In the announcements, it seems as though the Imagination pavilion was left out (oddly enoungh, since it is most in need of help). Neither the Nature Neighborhood, nor the Celebrate Neighborhhood claim it in any of the press materials. Has its fate been determined? New attraction planned but still years out.

3) A MIGHTY sore spot for me.... Is there any official word on the continuing use of the Innoventions Plaza Theme. It doesn't seem to make sense in New Epcot, where Innoventions no longer exists, but Epcot is not Epcot without that theme. Innoventions theme is dead

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom