News Future World confirmed to be split into 3 neighborhoods

articos

Interesting. I had a slight feeling that could've been the case but I don't have the knowledge you have. It was a surprise when this "kid" came out instead of Tom especially after hyping him up in 2017. If this Zach person can do a quality job then you won't hear any complaining from me. He certainly spouted off things we wanted to hear (ex. purple dragon).
Tom is the top of the ladder. Zach is the epcot portfolio exec and planning exec who is overseeing the project day to day. He’s not a bad guy.

articos

First of all, the user asked what happenend to tom since at D23 2017 he was the face of this redevelopment of Epcot not ken.

Second of all, there is nothing “quality” about Tom Fitzgerald’s work and he is a big reason why WDI has gone to the dogs and the parks division went in this IP/screen heavy direction
I wasn’t sure if they were asking if he was still in charge or the face of the project, or why he wasn’t the guy talking on stage or why things were changing so much from the original with Tom back in charge of the park creative. It sounded like the last one, so that’s what I answered. As to the quality of Tom’s work, you are entitled to your opinion. I will respectfully disagree.

Rider

Right, which is a Showcase of the World, wouldn’t it make more sense for them to base the naming convention on the word Showcase instead of World? IE Discovery Showcase, Nature Showcase, etc
The Epcot "lands" have always been called World.

World Showcase
Future World

Calling them "Showcase" would make even less sense.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
No, I actually dislike it, and think it’s the opposite of what should have been done. I know the reasons they doing it. The new epcot will be very pretty, with some really fun new attractions/areas/retail/dining/night time show, but the redo destroys what made the park unique. It’s now going to be just another Disney Park.
There's enough spine of the original Center had so many vertebrae that it will be quite a while before the whole thing can be reworked in a holistic fashion. I guess no one gives a crap any more so I shouldn't. I'll be blunt. If they're going to boil the Disney experience down to attractions/rides, I'm hitting Universal more often because they have better rides. They've lost all sense of what made them Disney parks unique and thus beloved. So be it.

mikejs78

Premium Member
Right, which is a Showcase of the World, wouldn’t it make more sense for them to base the naming convention on the word Showcase instead of World? IE Discovery Showcase, Nature Showcase, etc
The Epcot "lands" have always been called World.

World Showcase
Future World

Calling them "Showcase" would make even less sense.
It makes more grammatical sense.

Honestly the only one that's awkward is World Nature. I still think they should have called Celebration EPCOT Center instead....

I also wish they'd build one more pavilion in Nature hat reflects space (the natural part of space, not space travel), or a weather Pavillion or something like that.

Imagination could fit into Celebration as a celebration of human imagination if they do end up redoing it more like the original. It actually fits into some of the other things that are there like Dreamers point. I also see Odyssey is grouped into the World Celebration area. @marni1971 do you know of any longer term plans for that building?

Overall I've got mixed emotions on this. On the one hand, I'm sad that the Epcot I love is gone for good. On the other, the new EPCOT does intrigue me and I'm willing to give it a shot. Some of the ideas here seem pretty good, and although It's IP infused, it does seem to be different enough to not be MK 2.0 (well, except for that night show). So I'm cautiously optimistic.

Now excuse me while I go put on my Epcot playlist, listen to the Innoventions Loop, RoE preshow loops, and mourn my favorite park's passing for a while, and think about the future possibilities for this great park.

odmichael

Aside from they decided not to demolish it? No.

God I hated that plan.
Are you able to clarify if existing empty buildings are going to stay existing and empty, be demolished, or used for the new attractions? The presentation made it seem like most empty buildings are leaving but now I am concerned.

Phineas

So after digesting yesterday’s announcements, I’ve decided to remain as cautiously optimistic as possible. As has been pointed out countless times, Epcot Center is dead, and has been for decades.

The separation into Neighborhoods will go a long way in “future-proofing” the pavilions, and there really is a lot of work being put into this park. This will create something new, while retaining elements from the past. Not everything is ideal, not by a long shot, but it’s way less depressing than their early 2000s business model of “close it down, and let it rot”.

My wish list is for Spaceship Earth to maintain its integrity (Communication to Story Telling is a lateral move, really), Figment and Dreamfinder to make their triumphant return, and for Test Track to be completely reimagined, but keep its theme overall.

Oh, and fingers crossed my favorite amigos get to remain permanent residents in Epcot. Those figures are too nice to go back into storage.

I think the most offensive thing from yesterday is their rewriting of history, saying that the Walt Disney statue is looking upon the realization of his dream. Even a cursory skimming of the Epcot Wikipedia page will show that this is NOT what he envisioned.

Nice statue, though.

Last edited:

Movielover

I'll never be able to remember this time in DIS history for anything else except it being when they killed Future World, and in turn Epcot.

So by "This Time in history" you of course mean the late 90's and early 2000's when Journey Into no Imagination opened and the execs left the park to rot for more than a decade without any major investment or overhaul. Got it! ;)

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Are you able to clarify if existing empty buildings are going to stay existing and empty, be demolished, or used for the new attractions? The presentation made it seem like most empty buildings are leaving but now I am concerned.
So far as I know (which of course isn’t everything) they’re staying. Although empty may be stretching it. The future of the Imag complex is still uncertain.

Missing20K

So by "This Time in history" you of course mean the late 90's and early 2000's when Journey Into no Imagination opened and the execs left the park to rot for more than a decade without any major investment or overhaul. Got it! ;)
Eh, that time was more like when Future World had a really bad cold and instead of going to the doctors they let it progress to pneumonia and then a lung infection and then Daddy Iger and Uncle Chappie decided to finally pull the plug, even though it just needed a good dose of penicillin. :D

Movielover

Eh, that time was more like when Future World had a really bad cold and instead of going to the doctors they let it progress to pneumonia and then a lung infection and then Daddy Iger and Uncle Chappie decided to finally pull the plug, even though it just needed a good dose of penicillin. :D

To each their own. I much rather have a park that's bright and full of life and investments over a rotting corpse of an idea that was being dragged down the road by a team not willing to put it out of it's misery...

giphy.gif

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom