Future Star Wars Story movies put on hold thanks to SOLO

drod1985

I thought this was interesting... Frank Marshall (Kathleen Kennedy's husband) liked a tweet saying Kennedy was getting unfair blame due to Iger's bad decisions. IMO the only "bad" decision so far has been not delaying Solo to a December release date. Other than that I'm not sure what "bad" decisions we can trace up to Iger.

erasure fan1

I thought this was interesting... Frank Marshall (Kathleen Kennedy's husband) liked a tweet saying Kennedy was getting unfair blame due to Iger's bad decisions. IMO the only "bad" decision so far has been not delaying Solo to a December release date. Other than that I'm not sure what "bad" decisions we can trace up to Iger.

You could say jumping the gun and green lighting 7, 8 and 9 without a plan for the whole trilogy or a real direction for the saga was a pretty sizable mistake in my opinion.

tk924

Haven't been online for over a week so I haven't read through the previous posts. But I would modify the OP title to this thread.
None of what I going on now is due to Solo. It's because of TLJ. Plain and simple. I believe a lot of people are still in shock after watching TLJ. What's disturbing is LFL and Disney just does not get it. And that is what will be the downfall of SW if they don't make some drastic changes... and soon.

erasure fan1

When you make a bazillion dollar investment, you have to recoup that asap.
Agreed, but that reason is part of the mistake, and is overall a major flaw with Iger. Short term gain at the expense of the future. A clear vision for the saga would have been worth the extra year delay.

Part of me wonders if they had started with solo, that would have given them the time for the saga to be more one vision. That way Solo would have been an event and could be marketed as see how this super popular character started...

Tony the Tigger

Agreed, but that reason is part of the mistake, and is overall a major flaw with Iger. Short term gain at the expense of the future. A clear vision for the saga would have been worth the extra year delay.

Part of me wonders if they had started with solo, that would have given them the time for the saga to be more one vision. That way Solo would have been an event and could be marketed as see how this super popular character started...

It’s not a mistake; it’s not really optional. They didn’t spend $20 on it.

If I purchase inventory for my store that costs more than my typical quarterly earnings, I do not have the option of sitting on that, even if things would be better if I had. I could spend weeks or months perfectly sorting it, organizing it, and that might make for an overall better customer experience. I’m more likely to pick out the higher value items that are likely to sell most quickly because I have to pay off my investment ASAP.

Rlandrigan

Since we've waded into the discussion of race, casting & Star Wars...

One thing that I found quite noticeable is that in the Originals and Rogue One the Empire's military is made up completely of white men. This seemed to a be a conscious casting decision, following the film trope (and actual history) of a stodgy, prejudicial, male-dominated, tyrannical government & military hierarchy (think about how the British or Roman Empires generally portrayed in film). Against this Old Bad Guy Order are set the freedom-seeking Rebels, who are made up of all races, sexes and species. That seems to work.

In the new Saga movies (and Solo), the casting of the Empire/First Order background players and extras is almost as racially and gender diverse as the Rebels. It fits our times, but it clouds the storytelling. It doesn't feel as urgent to rebel against them if they are as progressive in at least some of their social policies as the Resistance. It's like making Modern Germany the villain force in a new war movie, as opposed to WWII Germany.
It's very intentional - the Empire was the Nazi Reich, a veneer of civilization and power and order over a bloodthirsty, racist core. The New Order are neo nazi's - rabble desperately clinging to an older model but not doing it right by anyone's standard.

Wendy Pleakley

None of what I going on now is due to Solo. It's because of TLJ. Plain and simple. I believe a lot of people are still in shock after watching TLJ. What's disturbing is LFL and Disney just does not get it. And that is what will be the downfall of SW if they don't make some drastic changes... and soon.

I liked The Last Jedi but wasn't excited for Solo, based on the trailers. None of us know the real reason Solo under performed.

I find it hard to believe in such a huge backlash to TLJ. If The Phantom Menace couldn't kill the franchise, nothing can. Granted, that's another movie where it's hard to tell how people really feel as the people who disliked it were/are extremely vocal about it.

This rumour that various films are on hold, is also just that, rumour. Apparently the Obi-Wan movie may have stalled due to the director leaving, but there seems to be a lot of enthusiasm in the fan base for Ewan MacGregor to reprise that role.

The criticism that the new trilogy wasn't planned out from the start is valid, but maybe a bit exaggerated. We've known for a while that the third was to be Leia-centric and focus on her relationship with Kylo Ren. They had at least an overall idea of what the trilogy would cover.

Even Lucas made it up as he went along. Return of the Jedi went through many different drafts, and was quite different at some point. He didn't have a definitive conclusion to the original trilogy planned.

We have people saying that Kathleen Kennedy has to go and there needs to be someone who will make Star Wars movies with broad popular appeal.

Who is going to do this? George Lucas couldn't make Star Wars movies that pleased everybody. J.J. Abrams made a generally crowd pleasing movie, but also got a lot of criticism for playing it safe and rehashing what had come before.

I get that people are passionate about Star Wars but it's not easy to make a movie like that, that is almost universally beloved. It's almost impossible in fact. Mixed reaction to TLJ does not mean the franchise is in bad shape.

erasure fan1

It’s not a mistake; it’s not really optional. They didn’t spend $20 on it.

If I purchase inventory for my store that costs more than my typical quarterly earnings, I do not have the option of sitting on that, even if things would be better if I had. I could spend weeks or months perfectly sorting it, organizing it, and that might make for an overall better customer experience. I’m more likely to pick out the higher value items that are likely to sell most quickly because I have to pay off my investment ASAP.
Sorry I don't buy it. If they can't afford to wait a year because they spent 4 billion on star wars, then what will they do when they spend 72 billion on fox. Solo was being written before the Disney deal happened. That could have started this off and given them the time. No one thought that star wars had a weakness, but low and behold, its not invincible. That should be a BIG wake up call to Disney, for star wars and themselves.

erasure fan1

So sad, Star Wars fans cannot just enjoy an entertaining movie. Solo was an entertaining movie. I think it deserved better
Very true. I am on record, like others here I'm sure, as saying I don't need or really care for a Solo movie. But I went in with an open mind, and I'm sure glad I did because I loved it. I get the super casual fan not going as the marketing wasn't great, and all they kept hearing in the media was the gloom and doom. But the hardcore fan not going is just a travesty in my opinion.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom