Future of the Hollywood Tower of Terror

Tha Realest

Disney doesn't need other people's IP anymore because of the depth of its bench. Tangled, Coco, Encanto, Moana and many others are waiting for their turn to anchor a major ride or mini-land.
Virtually all of Disney’s major lands and attractions built in the last 15-20 years have been from recently acquired (or licensed) IP.

_caleb

Here are some of Tony Baxter's comments about the creation of The Indiana Jones Adventure for Disneyland:

"I think the worst type of IP attraction is where you slap a name on something that's totally generic. I won't say other parks by name, but they'll go out of their way to buy the rights, and it's basically a billboard out in front of something they've bought from a steel vendor. To me, that doesn't do anything. It's got to deliver the emotional expectations if you're labeling it with IP.

Indiana Jones is a good example, because everything about that ride, we pretty much developed here. I actually have a slide that I put in a show, where I bring up the Indiana Jones Adventure and the perfect script and everything, and then I show 'Kentucky Buck Adventure' and a similar script, and I say, 'okay, tell me the emotions that are going through you as you see both of these.' And you get 'authentic,' 'correct,' and everything about it, and then 'rip-off' and all that, and I say, why would you avoid the relationship with Lucas and the payments and all that when what it 'buys' you are all these negative feelings? I'm sure we could do that, but why? Why not say that Disney's got the ultimate one? Star Wars is the ultimate space adventure. Indiana Jones is the ultimate. If we want to do anything in those worlds, you either are inauthentic or you're authentic."

Source: https://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/201311/3782/

At this point, eliminating The Twilight Zone from The Tower of Terror in favor of a "Twilight-Zone-ish" original alternative would just make the ride feel like a knockoff of its own successes. It's already great and people love it as-is. Just let it be.
Good thoughts. Thanks for sharing this quote from Tony Baxter!

I wonder if Baxter's presentation (the "Kentucky Buck Adventure" one) used the logo, type, imagery of "Indiana Jones" but just replaced the name, or if it was an Indiana-Jones-ish theme (derivative, like Romancing the Stone, Tomb Raider, Uncharted, etc.)? I wonder if this might have made a difference? I don't know-Indiana Jones seems to be THE gold standard for adventures like that.

I agree with Baxter about knockoffs, but I'm with @CaptainAmerica in wondering if that applies to the Twilight Zone property. Would Tower of Terror be seen as a rip-off if it featured any of the similar sorts of fantasy/thriller/mystery/horror/sci0fi anthology series (Boris Karloff Thriller, Alfred Hitchcock Presents, Disney-owned The Outer Limits, Kathleen Kennedy-produced Amazing Stories, etc.)?

celluloid

I agree with Baxter about knockoffs, but I'm with @CaptainAmerica in wondering if that applies to the Twilight Zone property. Would Tower of Terror be seen as a rip-off if it featured any of the similar sorts of fantasy/thriller/mystery/horror/sci0fi anthology series (Boris Karloff Thriller, Alfred Hitchcock Presents, Disney-owned The Outer Limits, Kathleen Kennedy-produced Amazing Stories, etc.)?

Tony has talked about similar things in the past. These things compliment each other.

Outer Limits is fun, but its no Twilight Zone Tower of Terror.

At one point, Tower of Terror was going to be Outer Limits. It was later that Twilight Zone was saught after as it was the stronger property.

And peeshaw about Tower of Terorr not being iconic and rather classic. To be classic you have to be somewha iconic.

You notice that to this day, people want to quote Serling's voice saying "The Twilight Zone" after the suspenseful pause. That is not JUST the ride. It is the established institution of The Twilight Zone. I like the Outer Limits, but it never had that, even with its creepy well-known intro of the time.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
The thing Twilight Zone has going for it is the tie to the music (specifically the theme song). That theme song is so iconic and tied to the weird/unexplained that it has become part of pop culture. The only show with similar themes that has a theme song that even comes close (IMHO) is X-Files (Unsolved Mysteries for Honorable Mention). I feel like the biggest loss in removing the Twilight Zone theme (but keeping the creepy haunted hotel vibe) would be the loss of the theme song which so many people who have never actually seen an episode of the Twilight Zone still know.

yensidtlaw1969

Good thoughts. Thanks for sharing this quote from Tony Baxter!

I wonder if Baxter's presentation (the "Kentucky Buck Adventure" one) used the logo, type, imagery of "Indiana Jones" but just replaced the name, or if it was an Indiana-Jones-ish theme (derivative, like Romancing the Stone, Tomb Raider, Uncharted, etc.)? I wonder if this might have made a difference? I don't know-Indiana Jones seems to be THE gold standard for adventures like that.

I think at this point altering the Tower of Terror to retain the same or a similar premise while dropping the Twilight Zone element would result in it feeling like a knockoff of itself.

It's bad enough riding something like Mission: Breakout and still being able to plainly see the parts that are only there because they were working within the existing Tower facility, but if you were to replace the Twilight Zone with, like, the store-brand version it would just make an ambitious attraction feel cheaper than it is.

Tha Realest

It also helps that The Twilight Zone is one of the greatest television series of all time, and despite being almost seven decades old, those episodes still speak to the human condition in ways others have never been able to. It has an iconic visual style and musical motifs that still live on today. sadly, it’s not part of Disney’s ever expanding IP, and think that they grouse at having to pay that licensing and whatever share of the merch.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Virtually all of Disney’s major lands and attractions built in the last 15-20 years have been from recently acquired (or licensed) IP.
That's my point. Disney *acquired* the IPs. And then uses only the IPs they *acquired* and now own.

Minions is from an *acquired* animation studio.

Race Through New York, Fast & Furious, Bourne Identity, Universal Monsters, HtTYD, are all owned by NBC/Universal.

Nintendo and Potter are legacy licenses.

When was the last time Uni got a *new* license for a theme park attraction?

celluloid

Nintendo and Potter are legacy licenses.
Potter I guess at this point, can be called legacy. Over a decade.
Nintendo? What? That partnership is as way newer than you make it sound.
New parade in Japan three years ago and another new one this year features outside IP.

And HHN. Outside IP all the time.

Synergy is always great but Universal partners with outside IP all the time.

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

The same reason Universal having great attractions based on other studio partnerships has great attractions. Who created the property it is based on is less of a matter than the the attraction being great enhancing the theme of the park.

It is not the properties that is lessoning the theme.

Star Tours was not based on a Disney property when it was first built, and it held up long enough to change because at its core it was a fantastically made attraction of the time.
I think the difference between then & now is that Disney doesn't really need partnerships anymore. They went to the likes of Star Wars, Indiana Jones & Twilight Zone in the past because they didn't really have any IPs for older audiences. If they wanted an attraction with for older audiences, it was either create something yourself or get a licensed IP.

With the purchases of Marvel, Lucasfilm & now Fox they don't have to do that anymore. They have more than enough franchises to make fun rides out of.
I think the difference is that Star Wars and Indiana Jones are iconic. The Twilight Zone is classic but not iconic.
As someone who's entire knowledge of Twilight Zone is from the Tower & various parodies, I'd say that series is definitely iconic. It's not at the level of Indiana Jones or especially Star Wars, but it's a super iconic part of pop culture.

Rambozo

if you remove Twilight Zone IP from the attraction, what is the mechanism to deliver the backstory of the ride? Remove Twilight Zone, and there is no reason for a television set at all...So how would you show what happened one dark and stormy night during the golden age of Hollywood? Seems like to continue with what they started would be the best possible decision and save tons of money...there is absolutely no reason to change any of this. It works perfectly.

You could be taking a tour right before the grand reopening.

The hotel has been shut down since the unexpected deaths of a group of visitors back in the 30's. But unfortunately for you the visitors never left and they still haunt the hotel. It could be similar to what they've done with the Paris version with the little girl.

muchiro.tokito

As more and more merchandise comes out omitting "Twilight Zone" to avoid licensing fees, it makes me wonder what the future holds for the iconic attraction.

Anyone here have any insider knowledge of what the plans may be?

- Resign a deal with Viacom for "Twilight Zone"
- Remove all Twilight Zone references and record new, generic "haunted hotel" narration
- Retheme it to Tokyo's version
- Go the Marvel route and force it into a Dr. Strange Sanctum Santorum ride
- Something else??
I like the doctor strange theme.🛞

JakeDLP

I would just like to add that them not using the twilight zone on merchandise isn't a super crazy thing. The Paris version has never if not very very rarely used the twilight zone branding for its merchandise in it's entire existence since 2007 the only time the words "Twilight Zone" would appear are in the ride. all the merchandise either refers to it as "tower of terror" or the "Hollywood Tower Hotel"

Magenta Panther

Yep, that's Eisner's and Iger's legacies - sticking ill-fitting acquisitions into the Disney parks, while genuine Disney creations/adaptations go begging, like Mary Poppins, Fantasia, the Jungle Book...

yensidtlaw1969

I would just like to add that them not using the twilight zone on merchandise isn't a super crazy thing. The Paris version has never if not very very rarely used the twilight zone branding for its merchandise in it's entire existence since 2007 the only time the words "Twilight Zone" would appear are in the ride. all the merchandise either refers to it as "tower of terror" or the "Hollywood Tower Hotel"
Indeed - I think the idea of them wanting to ditch the Twilight Zone theme comes from people misunderstanding why the DCA Tower was rethemed.

Disney isn't so desperate to rid the ride of the TZ, but they'll keep from having to split profits on merch if they can avoid it.

Drdcm

I suppose they could make it into a scary UP ride. All the balloons on the house pop and you plummet to the earth 😅

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Mark Silverman posted on Twitter yesterday that he recorded his audio for ToT 30 years ago. It took all of 3 hours, including a lunch break of meatloaf, mashed potatoes, and savory gravy. 😁

He still has the script, and apparently there are lines recorded that didn’t make the final ride cut. 👍

In the Parks
No
Scarlett Johansson Confirms Tower of Terror Movie Still In Development Post-SAG Strike

This movie really terrifies me for Tower of Terror's future. If they remove the Twilight Zone theme and just keep it as "spooky hotel with Scarlett Johansson," it will not be nearly as perfect as it is. Everything about this ride is basically perfect. Is there a single flaw? I don't think so. And removing the Twilight Zone will eliminate so much of the charm.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom