Future of the Hollywood Tower of Terror

Rodj

The cheap plastic figurines behind glass.
Those figurines aren't as "cheap" as I originally thought before. A video during a breakdown in the 5th dimension shown them zoomed in on, which shown that they actually move in a small circular pattern, with a split back side to them that is 180 degrees out of alignment, possibly to create an illusion affect when there used to be fog?

Tom Morrow

One other element that should be added back is the effects that happened at the sign. Back in the early days up until it got disabled a few years after Tower4/Never the Same Fear Twice started, the sign used to make sparking sounds when the riders were at the top, which I believe was actually mechanically made instead of a speaker. Back in the original drop sequence, there also used to be air cannons at the sign too(probably still there, hidden).
When the original drop sequence ended, a thud sound + reverberated screams would play from the top drop shaft speakers, which I think was for people outside to hear. I actually heard this audio in the background of some of the current drop sequence audios. It would be cool if they could have it play after the sequence ends again.

The sign used to emit literal physical sparks, but was disabled long ago because they would occasionally ignite fires below.

Two of the four current (as in, current for approaching 20 years now) sequences are supposed to play artificial screams from the top of the shaft. Not sure if this still works. Haven't ridden in over two years because the line is always too long now.

Rodj

The sign used to emit literal physical sparks, but was disabled long ago because they would occasionally ignite fires below.

Two of the four current (as in, current for approaching 20 years now) sequences are supposed to play artificial screams from the top of the shaft. Not sure if this still works. Haven't ridden in over two years because the line is always too long now.
I know of that one but this was something different, which was still enabled up to around 2004 I believe. This is a recording of the sound I am talking about:

This is a recording of the "late version" of the original drop sequence, where the air cannons could be heard:

This is the thud+reverberated scream sound I was talking about, which is actually used in the background/quietly in two of the current drop sequences:

Only profile 1/Fear Every Drop profile plays screams from the upper drop shaft speakers. Profile 4(the one with the big complete drop) does play a scream when the drop happens, but only out of the VVC speaker channels. You won't be able to hear it outside now because Echo's drop shaft speakers are currently quiet in volume and Foxtrot's drop shaft speakers are silent.

TrojanUSC

Those figurines aren't as "cheap" as I originally thought before. A video during a breakdown in the 5th dimension shown them zoomed in on, which shown that they actually move in a small circular pattern, with a split back side to them that is 180 degrees out of alignment, possibly to create an illusion affect when there used to be fog?

I worked on the ride in high school and would often be close to the figures. They are as cheap and plastic as they could possibly be.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I didn't think I could love this ride more than I did. Then we (finally) got to experience it with TJ as our bellhop. :D Also met a former CM who worked the ride for many years.

It's not perfect though. I say this as someone who used to adore the ride. There is tons of room for improvement.

- They don't take care of it and the show quality has been awful for years.
- The effects that do work aside from the corridor scene (when it works) are very outdated
- Rather than expand on the story and setting, the ride wastes a lot of time just showing you stuff from the Twilight Zone TV show opening sequence. There's the shattering window! There it is again! And again!

I don't disagree, there are things that could/should be fixed and/or improved. But even with its imperfections, it's still head-and-shoulders better than nearly everything else in the parks right now.

JohnD

As more and more merchandise comes out omitting "Twilight Zone" to avoid licensing fees, it makes me wonder what the future holds for the iconic attraction.

Anyone here have any insider knowledge of what the plans may be?

- Resign a deal with Viacom for "Twilight Zone"
- Remove all Twilight Zone references and record new, generic "haunted hotel" narration
- Retheme it to Tokyo's version
- Go the Marvel route and force it into a Dr. Strange Sanctum Santorum ride
- Something else??
About that:

Kirby86

The only Twilight Zone references I can see in that merchandise is the mug with Mickey standing in front of the spiral same with the Minnie on the back pack.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I still vote for a non ip tower. Maybe they could finally bring SEA into the florida parks and tie it into that.

Iron Man Eye Roll GIF

SpectreJordan

I don't think they're changing the overall theming. At most, the Twilight Zone theming will be replaced with something original or from the movie if it happens.

I don't think they'll replace it with another IP. They had the perfect opportunity in 2017 with Guardians, which proved to become beloved in Cali, but they chose to build something else completely with that IP instead.

I think they realize the importance of how iconic the Tower has become for WDW, which is why it's what they use as that park's "icon".

SpectreJordan

Go to my post a few spots up in regards that he Cannot..
That doesn't say anything about Strange specifically. It just says they can't use the Marvel name/logo to promote him.

He wouldn't have shown up as a Meet & Greet or in one of their nighttime shows otherwise. They haven't done that with characters like Iron Man or Thor, so there's no cheats in the contract like that.

Kirby86

Isn't Tokyos Tower related to S.E.A.? I mean it's possible they can redo the show to that version, however I think the most likely option is they are waiting on what Scarjos movie box office is. If the movie is successful that will replace The Twilight Zone. If it flops either they will keep The Twilight Zone framing or just go with a generic haunted hotel theme.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
I'm not so sure Tower of Terror is as popular as everyone makes it out to be... It is a ride that many people are, of course, to scared to get on... With wait times increasing mostly due to only one side running, and sort of a small capacity thing going on.

Meanwhile Rockin' next door has these super long trains going every 30 or so seconds and still has long wait times, because roller coaster. Tower gives the illusion of being this hugely popular ride simply because it is that, huge.

I'd be interested in knowing if that is why there isn't as much merch for Tower as there is, say, for Haunted Mansion (which has its own shop altogether)...

I'd like to point out, though... ToT is one of my favorite rides of all time. I only mention this because every time I go to Disney World with anybody, this is the MAIN ride that half or a couple of people in my group will NEVER ride.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom