Future of the Hollywood Tower of Terror

Cmdr_Crimson

I thought disney had rights to Dr strange? And other non major marvel characters. Plus those rights are always negotiable, maybe dosney will acquire them sooner than later or not at all? There are enough marvel characters with or without universal
I had thought it was due to image use as if they show them on a sign, post or decoration on Marvel Superhero Island that counted as said appearance under the East of The Mississippi contract and could not be used.....

However they did have that Dr Strange show at DHS for a short time and according to Attractions Magazine this was mentioned in the article...
"Note that, due to licensing restrictions imposed by the contract with Universal Orlando’s Islands of Adventure, Disney may not advertise Dr. Strange using the Marvel brand name. However, sharp-eyed comics fans will notice some newly installed props in the area referencing Marvel Universe icons such as The Daily Bugle."

So, unless anything under Universal ends they then could use them..

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I thought disney had rights to Dr strange? And other non major marvel characters. Plus those rights are always negotiable, maybe dosney will acquire them sooner than later or not at all? There are enough marvel characters with or without universal

How many Marvel characters can Disney use which have billion-dollar movies behind them?

Rodj

And they have yet to build a new ride that's better.

FYI - I was watching Kyle Pallo's vlog today, in which he visited DHS. He rode the Tower - or rather, he tried to. The side of the Tower he was queued for broke down, and so he was directed to the other side. He got on, and just as the ride vehicle got to the drop zone, the ride stopped, and the lights went on. And there before him, in the drop chamber, on the right-hand side, hanging on some kind of protuberance, was a white poncho. Wow. I don't know if that's the reason the ride stopped, but hoo boy - If that isn't an indictment of the current state of WDW maintenance, I don't know what is. Pitiful. He and his fellow guests were evacuated and given passes - not that they needed them, since it was raining and just about everything at DHS was a walk-on. What a farce.
What's funny is that just last month or in July, there was a live stream where there was another white poncho, this time on the front side, but the ride wasn't stopped yet. After the drop sequence finished, it was much more torn up, so it probably got lost from the ride vehicle before theirs.

tcool123

if Disney only use IPs they own they can retheme it to the hotel cortez from American Horror Story
Was just about to suggest this! The older seasons are looked upon favorably by most, the main season is still going strong on FX with up to Season 13 renewed, and the new spinoff has been well received in its second season snd likely will continue.

Kirby86

I can see an American horror story theme working but I'm not sure if they'd use it though since that is a hard R franchise. If a kid is curious About the current Twilight Zone theme that show while creepy isn't something I'd be afraid to let a kid watch. AHS I wouldn't want to have a kid trying to watch that behind my back if I was a parent just because they liked the Tower Of Terror.

Tom Morrow

They can change ToT over my dead body. Leave perfection alone.

It's not perfect though. I say this as someone who used to adore the ride. There is tons of room for improvement.

- They don't take care of it and the show quality has been awful for years.
- The effects that do work aside from the corridor scene (when it works) are very outdated
- Rather than expand on the story and setting, the ride wastes a lot of time just showing you stuff from the Twilight Zone TV show opening sequence. There's the shattering window! There it is again! And again!

celluloid

It's not perfect though. I say this as someone who used to adore the ride. There is tons of room for improvement.

- They don't take care of it and the show quality has been awful for years.
- The effects that do work aside from the corridor scene (when it works) are very outdated
- Rather than expand on the story and setting, the ride wastes a lot of time just showing you stuff from the Twilight Zone TV show opening sequence. There's the shattering window! There it is again! And again!

Most of the things you mentioned are neglect based. If that is the reason to replace an entire attraction than every attraction at Current TDO's operation needs replaced.

Tom Morrow

Most of the things you mentioned are neglect based. If that is the reason to replace an entire attraction than every attraction at Current TDO's operation needs replaced.

While true, there is definitely room for enhanced effects and perhaps show scenes that expand the story a bit further.

I also believe that they could remove The Twilight Zone branding and keep the story otherwise. If done right, it could actually be an improvement.

TrojanUSC

While true, there is definitely room for enhanced effects and perhaps show scenes that expand the story a bit further.

I also believe that they could remove The Twilight Zone branding and keep the story otherwise. If done right, it could actually be an improvement.

The 5th dimension has always felt rushed and dated from opening. The cheap plastic figurines behind glass. They could really improve this drastically, even with some projection mapping.

Rodj

I partially disagree on this, I was actually planning on making a post about how the DHS Tower tells a more consistent/full story compared to the DCA/original Paris Tower.

In the preshow, it is stated “The time is now, on an evening very much like the one we have just witnessed”, with a thunderstorm arriving at the Tower once again. Unlike the DCA/original Paris Tower storyline, the DHS Tower sticks to this thunderstorm throughout the ride.
As the corridor scene doors opened, the BGM sets up a mysterious tone transitioning to a sorrow/dreadful tone (When the BGM used to be synchronized) as the riders see the once lively hallway now abandoned, until lightning strikes nearby, rejuvenating the 5 spirits that once were. Added onto that, a door close SFX which had a bit of a reverb would play after the window shattered, invoking a sense of uneasiness as the doors closed(again when it used to play loud/properly).
After the 5th dimension starfield doors open and going into the drop shaft, loud thunder is heard, reminding the riders of the storm.
All four drop sequences start with the sound of lightning striking the Tower, recreating what had happened in 1939.
Interestingly, Tower1.5(“Beta Twice the Fright”) and Tower2/Twice the Fright were the only drop sequences that didn’t involve the storm element.

Though yes, I do think they overused the window a little bit, but in my opinion, it’s not as bad as you are saying. A cool change they could do is to have a reflection of the riders in the window before it shatters.

One other element that should be added back is the effects that happened at the sign. Back in the early days up until it got disabled a few years after Tower4/Never the Same Fear Twice started, the sign used to make sparking sounds when the riders were at the top, which I believe was actually mechanically made instead of a speaker. Back in the original drop sequence, there also used to be air cannons at the sign too(probably still there, hidden).
When the original drop sequence ended, a thud sound + reverberated screams would play from the top drop shaft speakers, which I think was for people outside to hear. I actually heard this audio in the background of some of the current drop sequence audios. It would be cool if they could have it play after the sequence ends again.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom