Fun With Numbers: MK Maingate Blackout Edition

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
My 2 cents- I really wish they'd go back to only parks and resorts having main gates as I think that's more the cause for increased blackout dates more so than money etc.. If 4-5x more people have potential to go to x park y day and the 'acceptable threshold of cast admits' puts the 'potential admits' as more then it's blacked out.. I know the extended mk block outs are really wearing on wdw cast wanting to bring their kids for the day..

Course I'm curious what's prevented people more from using their passes, blackouts or the reusable guest passes where you have to get the pass back or it's a replacement charge each time which I would wager has dropped getting in mom's best friends sisters kids or other 'not direct friends'' in since you either need to stick with them all day or pray you get the cards back for next time...

And that is completely the point. Its entirely unfair to the cast.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
It is quite likely given the lack of actual low attendance days. I was completely shocked that my normal touring plans for the third week in October was so completely messed up from the same time four years prior. A lot of it was the impact of FP+ but some of it is the attempts by WDW to increase attendance by any means. Increases and extensions of the F&W and MNSSHP as well as additional upcharge events (Epcot After Hours, Illuminations Dessert Party, Room Discounts (got one) etc. The resorts may be at an occupancy level that other hotel owners would drool over, but the parks do not have the capacity.

With fewer "low crowd days"...fewer days are available as benefits to CMs. WDW still wants to redistribute crowds to the point of maximizing attendance, guest spending etc. As they become more successful, fewer days are slow enough to encourage Maingate attendance.

They just need to improve the wage and benefit package and offer a deep discount on annual passes. This whole blackout thing needs to just go away.

Why - the logical thing to do from TWDC's current management would be to eliminate the pass program entirely, Their workforce can no longer AFFORD to visit WDW. seeing how it's largely low wage CP'ers and part time recent immigrants living in Igervilles near the Lynx stations.

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
I did a quick look at the numbers through the end of the month.... Should this hold? 99 days out of 180 or so for the first six months.

Over 50% of the time, MK will be blacked out. Toss in July, August, Thanksgiving, Christmas and other holidays and its likely theyre going to come close to 50% for the year (assuming they don't exceed it.)

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
Oh, I can only imagine. There's a reason the hot tub at Vista Way was closed and sealed up. Thankfully, the people I associated with on my program weren't as disastrous as most participants. (Plus, I was a housekeeper on my first one, so I was too exhausted every night to engage in wild shenanigans.)

I dont know how they select CPs anymore, I just think that they need to work on the criteria a bit more.

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
@PhotoDave219 I saw the thread title and I thought we were gonna get a delightful tale of "22 shots later, we're going in the MK. That's the last thing I remember."

Well, there were a few times I tossed back a few beverages at a monorail resort bar (medicinal purposes, really) before heading to the MK.

But those interesting stories involve the back porch of the Adv Club.

TRONorail12

I dont know how they select CPs anymore, I just think that they need to work on the criteria a bit more.

WDW is actually amidst a labor crisis right now. Over the past few years, they have significantly increased the number of CP's they hire. Already overpriced housing that had CP's sharing a bedroom with 1 person, has now gone to 1 bedroom for 3-4 people in most cases. Imagine living in a small 3 bedroom apartment with 9+ people. It's insane. The Orlando job market has also been increasing over the past few years with new resort hotels, retail venues, restaurants and theme park additions. Bottom line, Orlando is in a job surplus right now. Companies are getting desperate to fill service industry/entry level jobs. The city is growing, but the population can't keep up with the job creation. Anyone who is living in Orlando and on unemployment is just flat out lazy, because you can find a job almost anywhere in this city. Even the mighty WDW, which was once one of the most desired jobs to have in Florida has fallen victim to the labor crisis. There is too much competition for the labor force, so Disney is no longer pulling in the top individuals in the service industry anymore. CM's are now just numbers more than ever. Do we have X amount of people to fill positions in the park so that we can operate? Disney is so desperate to fill jobs, that they will hire almost anybody nowadays. It's just sad when Disney has to resort to hiring people who have only seen a handful of Disney movies, have never set foot on Disney property until they walk into the Casting Building, know absolutely nothing about the theme parks, and barely have any idea who Walt Disney is.

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
Stuff like this is why I left. One relevant thing that REALLY rustled my jimmies is that I didn't get to go to even a PREVIEW of the Halloween nor Christmas events that I had to work at.
Yes, it's partially selfish, but also, isn't that just a basic matter of product knowledge?

stini228

In related news, a 60% off Poly DVC studios offer just came out. Wonder if bookings are softer than anticipated. GF Villas are still not available at a discount, fwiw

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
In related news, a 60% off Poly DVC studios offer just came out. Wonder if bookings are softer than anticipated. GF Villas are still not available at a discount, fwiw
A lot of this depends on pace of construction. They hold back on selling some inventory when a new resort opens in case construction runs long. If they finish early or on time, they have unsold rooms available and will steeply discount for CMs. I used a friends and family CM discount when the Cars area of DAAR opened early. I think CMs were getting 70% for themselves and 60% for friends and family for a while.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Totally agree. It's called cleaning, they should try it.
I think part of the problem is that many of them are college-in-name-only. They might be enrolled in some general studies courses at East West State Community College but many live at home and were never "college students" in the traditional sense of being away from home, living in dorms, etc. Thus, they haven't had the opportunity to grow out of the lunatic "FREE AT LAST!!! PAAAAAARTAAAY!!!" mentality that most people get out of their system in a normal four-year college track.

stini228

A lot of this depends on pace of construction. They hold back on selling some inventory when a new resort opens in case construction runs long. If they finish early or on time, they have unsold rooms available and will steeply discount for CMs. I used a friends and family CM discount when the Cars area of DAAR opened early. I think CMs were getting 70% for themselves and 60% for friends and family for a while.

Hmm, could be related to the construction on Tokelau, maybe they will finish faster than expected. The promo runs from now thru Oct 3rd, quite generous.

Gringrinngghost

Yeah CP housing is a pit, but it ain't Disney's fault. It's the CP's fault.

Totally agree. It's called cleaning, they should try it.

It all depends on the housing. My friend did the CP a few years back on RnR and told me "Pick Patterson court if your staying on the college program property it's the nicest. Vista way is the worst" Also from the fact that as of 2012 housing is done by Lincoln Property Company. I can't say if any improvements have been done or what not a I've not seen them first hand.

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
Well here's something interesting.....

I was passed a note (and double checked) that Maingate Blackouts at MK were lifted for 7/5-7/12. Of course, that still makes 28 straight days....

I'm still of the opinion that its wrong. I'm still of the opinion that CMs make up very very little of the audience as a whole. I'm still of the opinion that CPs are the problem.

I'm still of the opinion that you need 60-90 days with the company to get your maingate.

I'm going to continue to track this as the year progresses. Interesting that they threw the cast a bone tho.

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
Say what? Isnt that one of the busiest weeks of the year? Confused o_O

I know, right? Weird.

Here's something that popped up today too.... Someone suggested that the insanity of the Maingate Blackouts didnt start until George K showed up here in Orlando..... and that seems to fit. More on this later but fits especially if he's beind the tiered price gouging initiative...

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Well here's something interesting.....

I was passed a note (and double checked) that Maingate Blackouts at MK were lifted for 7/5-7/12. Of course, that still makes 28 straight days....

I'm still of the opinion that its wrong. I'm still of the opinion that CMs make up very very little of the audience as a whole. I'm still of the opinion that CPs are the problem.

I'm still of the opinion that you need 60-90 days with the company to get your maingate.

I'm going to continue to track this as the year progresses. Interesting that they threw the cast a bone tho.

The one thing the MM+ system does do well is show potential attraction loads (based on counts of FP+ reservations) so they may have lifted the blackout based on data.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom