Fun With Numbers: MK Maingate Blackout Edition

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
During the late 90's - early 2000's they used to be printed in the little paper folder the pass came in, and were what you would expect. Major holidays. Prior to that, I guess they didn't exist. This blog has an image with a couple different years. You can click for a larger image to read the ones for 1998 and 2000.

http://disneyonparole.blogspot.com/2009/06/disney-main-gate-pass-and-silver-pass.html

So in 1998, MK was Blacked out a total of 30 days: Jan 1/2, April 5-18, July 1-7, Dec 24-31.

In 2000, they blacked out MK 8 days: July 4th & Dec 24-31.

Looks like a decrease. Even those 30 days in 1998 seem reasonable compared to today.

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
Some more fun numbers.....

2000: Attendance was 15.4M. 2014: 19.33M

2000 Blackout Days: 8. 2014: 153.

Thats an attendance rise of 25% vs a blackout date rise of 1812%. (I checked the numbers three times. WHOA. Seriously.)

This brings us to 2014 and the mystery 101 days of "average" days that were blacked out. Yes, the 38 peak days, no one can argue those (25%), tho there were the 14 days (9%) that had no business being blacked out. I'm really leaning towards saying No, they simply should not have. Its bordering on egregious behavior. I mean there's no way attendance rose that much to warrant this, especially with Capacity at 90k+ with the 2012 expansion.

The only thing that would tell us definitively is how much of the MK audience is maingated in. Basically the percentage of Daily Attendance that is a maingate. Simple average would do.

stini228

Dying to know what the larger strategy is here. I knew something was weird when we were blocked out last fall during a MNSSHP day...which are usually pretty quiet.

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
Dying to know what the larger strategy is here. I knew something was weird when we were blocked out last fall during a MNSSHP day...which are usually pretty quiet.

I would love to know that as well.

Because I believe cast and main gates to be a statistically insignificant to overall attendance.

And if that's true, then management is just screwing the employees.

SoccerMickey

Because I believe cast and main gates to be a statistically insignificant to overall attendance.

Yea...I agree. And has it been confirmed that cast admission is blocked out on July 3-4 this year?
When they started blacking out cast ID's on the 24-hour days, and then continued at DHS on certain SWW I knew this was a slippery slope that they were continue to go down and I can see them eventually blacking out Christmas Day and New Year's Eve.
I personally think blacking out a holiday for cast admission, like 4th of July, is a big slap in the face to cast members. It's saying we expect you to work these holidays and on your off time if you wish to celebrate it in our parks, then too bad! Buy a ticket. These people work too hard for so little money, only to be treated like second class citizens when they step on property on their own time.

WDF

I thought you had to be a certain level employee to be able to bring people in with you. Is this no longer the case? In the past I thought most CMs could only get themselves into the park, therefore, many fewer passes required many fewer blackout days.

WDF

Yea...I agree. And has it been confirmed that cast admission is blocked out on July 3-4 this year?
When they started blacking out cast ID's on the 24-hour days, and then continued at DHS on certain SWW I knew this was a slippery slope that they were continue to go down and I can see them eventually blacking out Christmas Day and New Year's Eve.
I personally think blacking out a holiday for cast admission, like 4th of July, is a big slap in the face to cast members. It's saying we expect you to work these holidays and on your off time if you wish to celebrate it in our parks, then too bad! Buy a ticket. These people work too hard for so little money, only to be treated like second class citizens when they step on property on their own time.

I worked at movie theaters during high school and college. One of the perks was being able to see movies for free and bring your family. HOWEVER, there were restrictions on when you could do this. We would never have been allowed to bring family members to a free movie on the most crowded days OR see one by ourselves for free. Why is it shocking that the 4th of July is blocked out? Some Disney CMs need to work other places and become acquainted with other real world workplace perks/rules before they complain all the time.

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
I thought you had to be a certain level employee to be able to bring people in with you. Is this no longer the case? In the past I thought most CMs could only get themselves into the park, therefore, many fewer passes required many fewer blackout days.

Currently… Cast members can get themselves plus three guests into the parks A total of 16 times a year. (A silver pass does not have those limits)

That ability is what we are discussing.

This is different from a CM getting in on their ID, which is blocked out on July 4th.

hopemax

My theory...CMs are statistically insignificant to overall attendance, but are statistically significantly for areas that have "capacity deficiencies." Take Frozen and the 900 per hour. 10,800 seats in a 12 hour day. 3500 maingaters (I just picked a number, no idea how many actually exist) would represent about 11% of Epcot's daily average attendance, but 32.5% of the daily capacity for the ride.

In the case of the MK, I suspect that FP+ has upset the apple cart. Day trippers are choosing MK more frequently, and less park hopping (due to late FP availability in the lesser parks) so the "in park, at this exact moment" attendance is climbing , and with thousands more people ejected from queues (when HM, Pirates, and the other rides were added to FP), the park just wasn't designed to have that many people in walkways, etc. They were meant to be in queues. CMs are the only ones that they have the power to restrict access. If Epcot were to get 3500 maingated, maybe MK gets 5000, and that can have an impact for curb space for parades, tables in a restaurant, the line at Mine Train or Peter Pan, etc.

CaptainAmerica

Dave covered this, but to elaborate...

"Blue" pass (most employees) - Unlimited entry for CM, 16 entries with up to 3 guests (more if the CM has a ton of kids)
"Silver" pass (salaried employees, employees with 15 years) - Unlimited entry for CM and guests (generally 3 at a time)

With both passes, blockout dates apply to "letting guests in" but generally do not apply to the CM him/herself. Some days (Christmas, July 4th, etc.) might have all CMs blocked out. Cast members also get a few blockout-free tickets per year.

FWIW, Disneyland blockouts apply both to guests and cast members.

This is different from a CM getting in on their ID, which is blocked out on July 4th.
Technically incorrect. The CMs don't get in with their ID anymore (post-MM+). They have their own Main Entrance pass that, like you said, is not subject to blockouts. But it's not the ID anymore because the ID doesn't work with the RFID touch points.

Last edited:

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
I worked at movie theaters during high school and college. One of the perks was being able to see movies for free and bring your family. HOWEVER, there were restrictions on when you could do this. We would never have been allowed to bring family members to a free movie on the most crowded days OR see one by ourselves for free. Why is it shocking that the 4th of July is blocked out? Some Disney CMs need to work other places and become acquainted with other real world workplace perks/rules before they complain all the time.

Are you really comparing the world's busiest theme park to a movie theater?

SoccerMickey

My theory...CMs are statistically insignificant to overall attendance, but are statistically significantly for areas that have "capacity deficiencies." Take Frozen and the 900 per hour. 10,800 seats in a 12 hour day. 3500 maingaters (I just picked a number, no idea how many actually exist) would represent about 11% of Epcot's daily average attendance, but 32.5% of the daily capacity for the ride.

In the case of the MK, I suspect that FP+ has upset the apple cart. Day trippers are choosing MK more frequently, and less park hopping (due to late FP availability in the lesser parks) so the "in park, at this exact moment" attendance is climbing , and with thousands more people ejected from queues (when HM, Pirates, and the other rides were added to FP), the park just wasn't designed to have that many people in walkways, etc. They were meant to be in queues. CMs are the only ones that they have the power to restrict access. If Epcot were to get 3500 maingated, maybe MK gets 5000, and that can have an impact for curb space for parades, tables in a restaurant, the line at Mine Train or Peter Pan, etc.
Wow! That's actually kind of a brilliant theory! My hat off to you, sir!

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
I am comparing a venue with a stated capacity with another venue with a stated capacity.

Okay… Well the Magic Kingdom holds roughly 90,000 people. Give or take a couple thousand.

How many patrons could fit into your movie theater?

wdw71fan

Okay… Well the Magic Kingdom holds roughly 90,000 people. Give or take a couple thousand.

How many patrons could fit into your movie theater?

Impacts of capacity are exponential.. a Movie theater vs a theme park is apples and oranges. it's much easier to accomodate 250 when you have space for 200.. in lieu 95000 over 90000.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom