Fun With Numbers: MK Maingate Blackout Edition

hopemax

Oh god.

Thank you, cylon?

There are reasons for that.

I always say my degree (Aero & Astro Engineering) prepared me for a lot of this type of stuff... big picture systems analysis, lots of moving parts, math. But I was the only woman in my year in my major, and no more than 5 in the undergrad program. And that prepared me for a lot of other stuff as well. The guy were always great, but the topic and flow of conversation does tend to drift certain ways. I'd think I'd go insane in a room with Mommy bloggers. But it does get amusing in unintended ways at times.

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
I always say my degree (Aero & Astro Engineering) prepared me for a lot of this type of stuff... big picture systems analysis, lots of moving parts, math. But I was the only woman in my year in my major, and no more than 5 in the undergrad program. And that prepared me for a lot of other stuff as well. The guy were always great, but the topic and flow of conversation does tend to drift certain ways. I'd think I'd go insane in a room with Mommy bloggers. But it does get amusing in unintended ways at times.

Well your profile did not specify and I went with the generic "Sir" by default.

rioriz

Eh yes TDO has capacity issues in MK by their own fault....devils advocate, I've worked for them, I have no issue with the MK blackout dates...

It really is small potatoes compared to so many other issues with the resort that really doesn't deserve our time in worry. Hell, give me World Showcase or AK any day over MK.

But if this is an issue to some then it's worth discussing

NearTheEars

Okay, This is important enough IMO to give its own thread to. We have enough Cast Members who lurk & read on these forums. Its an important issue.

So lets talk CM Maingate blackouts at MK. (as @akayw0718 reminds us, a maingate is just getting friends/family in and does not block out a CM's admission. Usually CM + 3 people.)

As an introduction, we're looking at the days CMs were blacked out and looking at MK's crowd level, using Touring Plans as our dataset. The biggest question I have is whether or not that particular day was justified to blackout.

2014?

• 42% of the entire year (153 days), a CM maingate was blacked out.
  • 2014 through June 13th? 54 days out of 164. 33% of the time.
  • February 2014 has zero days. July was blacked out 28 times, or 90% of the month.
  • 25% of the blacked out time, a peak crowd showed. (38 times)
  • 9% of the blacked out time, an off-peak crowd shows. (14 times)
  • 6.5% of the blacked out time, a crowd level of 1/2 showed. (10 times, split evenly)
  • 66% of the blacked out time, an average crowd showed. (101 times)
  • Of those, A crowd level of 7 showed 42 times or 28% of the blacked out time.
So for 2014? They clearly blew it about 9% of the blacked out days. At least 25% of the time, it was justifiable, with a peak crowd showing. The other 66%? Thats an excellent question.

Here's the visual breakdown by crowd level.

View attachment 97119

2015 So Far?

• 50% of the year THUS FAR (through June 13th) was blacked out. 82 out of 164 days. Or 28 more times than 2014, thru same time period.
  • March has the most (sofar, that will change) with 21 days blacked out/67.7% of the time. January had the least, six times or 19% of the month
  • June through the 13th has the most percentage wise, with 84% of the this month, 11 of 13 days. (That will change.)
  • 45% of the blacked out time, a peak crowd (8+) showed. (37 times, also 22.5% of the year thus far)
  • 3.6% of the blacked out time, an off-peak crowd (1-3) showed. (Three times, one crowd level 2 and two crowd level 3. )
  • 51% of the blacked out time, an average crowd (4-7) showed. (42 times)
  • 33% of the blacked out crowd, a crowd level 6 or 7 showed. (27 times)
  • The most frequent black out days happened on either a crowd level 6 day or a crowd level 9 day, each 16 times.
Observations? Well, they're more accurate with which days could be justifiably blacked out, only blowing it three times. 45% of the time, its justifiable IMO. Did blacking out those 27 days of a 6 or a 7 really work? IDK.

Here's the Comparisons of 2014 v 2015 for the first 5 months. Clearly, many more blackout days in 2015. When June ends, I'll include that data. And June will spike.

View attachment 97121

More fun with numbers at the beginning of next month, we'll look at the first six months of 2015 vs 2013 & 2014 and see what trends emerge.

Sources: Blackout days, Disney. Crowd Level, Touring Plans. Peak Crowds are defined as 8+. Average 4-7 and Off-Peak 1-3.

Thanks for clarifying what a main gate pass does. I always thought the CMs were also denied access on blackout dates. But it's actually just the 3 additional passes.

Not defending the cuts in their ability to use them, but it's not as bad as I thought it was.

NearTheEars

Your forgetting about everyone up the road...including where Uncle Bob works... Although you do have a point... Strange how you can fit the same number of attractions into 2 parks in CA...

*1023*

I thought no one in corporate actually visits the parks ;)

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
Thanks for clarifying what a main gate pass does. I always thought the CMs were also denied access on blackout dates. But it's actually just the 3 additional passes.

Not defending the cuts in their ability to use them, but it's not as bad as I thought it was.

However..... July 4th is scheduled to also block out Cast Admission as well as Maingates.

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
Well that's persiflage... In fact......

*1023*

I swear I saw Michael come in once with Jane in the back gate of Epcot in July 04 while I was giving Surveys. (We did entry surveys at IG back then)

I remember Brad Rex coming up on a Segway (VP of Epcot at the time) and we chatted and someone came in and I was suggested to not approach this person and his wife. I think i simply said "good morning" or something to that effect....

I could be wrong, it was a long time ago. Its all sketchy in my mind.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom