Fun With Numbers: MK Maingate Blackout Edition

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Not sure what that has to do with my comment.... I was responding to Nick A's comments above about Seasonal CM announcement on admissions. I made the assumption that the "sad surprise" is a reference to taking away or reducing benefits for seasonal CM.

If they are tiering admissions based on hours worked, I think its a good thing. Perhaps less CM getting into the parks free will allow them to reduce the number of blockout dates. Or even better, maybe they tier blockout dates so some CM who work a lot could get their families into MK once in a blue moon.

Because much of the month of Dec is blocked for both ID and MEP entry seasonal CM's who are working in December will not have an opportunity to visit during the Holiday season and neither will 'regular' CM's . The net effect is that Disney has rendered a major perk meaningless for both regular and seasonal CM's during the Holidays.

Right now one is probably better off working at WalMart instead of being a seasonal CM during the holidays.

Katie G

Because much of the month of Dec is blocked for both ID and MEP entry seasonal CM's who are working in December will not have an opportunity to visit during the Holiday season and neither will 'regular' CM's . The net effect is that Disney has rendered a major perk meaningless for both regular and seasonal CM's during the Holidays.

Right now one is probably better off working at WalMart instead of being a seasonal CM during the holidays.

CM self admission is only blocked out between Christmas and New Years Eve at MK and just NYE for Epcot and Studios. That is 7 days for MK and hardly half the month. 7 days of the busiest time of year when most probably wouldn't want to be in the park is hardly a meaningless perk.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No

giphy.gif

Katie G

Regardless, the fact I can't get my family into MK for almost all of the holidays is pretty absurd.

That is what the bi-annual yearly comp tickets are for.... to use during blockout periods. You get enough a year to get in your dependents or you save a couple of them and plan for it.

People save for years for the chance to come to WDW, sometimes in the holidays for that once in a lifetime trip. During the busiest times of year, don't you think it makes sense that these people who spend so much money for this trip aren't sitting at the front gate told they can't get in because its too full because CM & their families got in absolutely free?

I agree that the increase in MK blockout dates this year is hard to plan a trip with family. But its completely expected that the holidays will be blocked out, so you plan and use other admission methods besides your MEP. Or buy a discounted ticket. You have options.

WhatJaneSays

Many cm have a tradition of going to Epcot for nye :/
Yeah … my extended group usually plans for NYE at Epcot. It's easy because there are a ton of food options and entertainment. Unfortunately our group contains a good number of CMs and even though almost every one of us including their SOs have APs it's not really worth wasting a "paper ticket" for most of them.

In our very specific case it’s a loss: 8-12 in the group can't go so they lose the other 35-45. This is likely not super typical but I could see many couples with 1 CM and 1 AP passing on NYE in park.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
@PhotoDave219 what is the total blackout days now for 2015, I seem to recall in September it was on the order of 190 days or so so more than half the year has been blacked out this year. Time to put up a year to year comparison again.

Also the WAY WDW is doing this is sneaky they are not putting these up 6 months in advance so CM's can plan they are doing blackouts overnight so if a CM had a trip planned with family they are put in a pay 'Full Boat' or cancel your visit, This coupled with the virtual disappearance of CM room discounts tells us that in addition to AP holders CM's who make the park go are now considered 'bad business' and are discouraged from visiting.

mm52200

That is what the bi-annual yearly comp tickets are for.... to use during blockout periods. You get enough a year to get in your dependents or you save a couple of them and plan for it.

People save for years for the chance to come to WDW, sometimes in the holidays for that once in a lifetime trip. During the busiest times of year, don't you think it makes sense that these people who spend so much money for this trip aren't sitting at the front gate told they can't get in because its too full because CM & their families got in absolutely free?

I agree that the increase in MK blockout dates this year is hard to plan a trip with family. But its completely expected that the holidays will be blocked out, so you plan and use other admission methods besides your MEP. Or buy a discounted ticket. You have options.
People who save for years would be let in if the park went to capacity over CM's and their families because I'm pretty sure once the parks go to phased closings CM's and their maingates are one of the first groups of ticket holders blocked in phase 1.

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
@PhotoDave219 what is the total blackout days now for 2015, I seem to recall in September it was on the order of 190 days or so so more than half the year has been blacked out this year. Time to put up a year to year comparison again.

Also the WAY WDW is doing this is sneaky they are not putting these up 6 months in advance so CM's can plan they are doing blackouts overnight so if a CM had a trip planned with family they are put in a pay 'Full Boat' or cancel your visit, This coupled with the virtual disappearance of CM room discounts tells us that in addition to AP holders CM's who make the park go are now considered 'bad business' and are discouraged from visiting.

I'll have to doublecheck… I used t i'll have to doublecheck… I haven't updated it in a while

bhg469

That really sums it up. CM'S do not spend as much money, nor do typical locals or AP holders. Keeping them out during peak times is exactly what Disney wants.

bhg469

Which is the unfortunate thing because it's the locals and APs that the company can truly count on.
I don't think that's true. They've proven time and time again that their attendance will be high no matter what. They're after the resort guests and that is their bread and butter. If those people don't have a good time, there are 50 others that will take their place.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
People who save for years would be let in if the park went to capacity over CM's and their families because I'm pretty sure once the parks go to phased closings CM's and their maingates are one of the first groups of ticket holders blocked in phase 1.

Yes exactly, These blackouts are only to juke the statistics for PCGS and PRGS so the 'numbers' look better.

CaptainAmerica

Regardless, the fact I can't get my family into MK for almost all of the holidays is pretty absurd.
Entitled much?

Disney gives you free stuff as a perk of employment and you're on here that the free stuff they give you isn't sufficient. Unbelievable. I assume you're a millenial? You're embarrassing our generation.

Protip: Get a real job and buy your own tickets.

WhatJaneSays

Entitled much?

Disney gives you free stuff as a perk of employment and you're on here ******** that the free stuff they give you isn't sufficient. Unbelievable. I assume you're a millenial? You're embarrassing our generation.

I could accept that if the company touted it as a perk rather than a benefit, arguably a fringe benefit because they are presented as part of the non-monetary compensation for working for Disney.

I've sat through more than one version of their new CM spiel. (Not all of Traditions but probably as much as a non-CM could by this point.) Things like the cast passes and family passes are very clearly noted as benefits. They often even tell CMs the approximate cash value of their own pass and the values of other related benefits like the paper tickets along with detailed rules for their usage.

Based on the way Disney represents the cast passes they would generally not be categorized as a perk or bonus. A lot of people think anything not directly related to salary or pay as a "perk" and that’s not really how it works.

Protip: Steve Rogers wants his name back.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
:confused::confused::confused:

Not sure why you're jumping down my thorat. All I said was that I think it's absurd I can't get my family into MK for all of December. Entitled would be writing an essay on all the ways this ruins my life. (Hint: it doesnt) It's just an inconvenience, nothing more.

Also, I'm not sure what my being a millenial has to do with any of this? Yeah, I am. So what? You don't know MY life. And what is a "real job" to you? You sound like the type of person who sits behind a desk all day, which would explain your contempt and "I'm better than thou" attitude you continually show for Disney CMs on this board. So why don't you take about 50 steps off your pedestal?

I find it VERY interesting that the staunchest defenders of TWDC seem to look down upon the 'lowly' CM the people who make the magic possible. At one time being a CM was one of the best jobs in Central FL, Now with "Todays Disney" many CM's are forced to live in Igervilles. And these same 'Defenders of Disney' applaud the devaluation of one of the last remaining CM benefits.

matt9112

Entitled much?

Disney gives you free stuff as a perk of employment and you're on here ******** that the free stuff they give you isn't sufficient. Unbelievable. I assume you're a millenial? You're embarrassing our generation.

I have more respect for him than an average family staying at the GF these days...technically he has a real job...just like McDonald would be a real job so to rephrase you should have said "get a job i think is worthy" and its not really "free stuff" it is allocated cost built into employment as a plus for working for the mouse.However your rude and demeaning tone is ruthlessly unnecessary.

matt9112

I find it VERY interesting that the staunchest defenders of TWDC seem to look down upon the 'lowly' CM the people who make the magic possible. At one time being a CM was one of the best jobs in Central FL, Now with "Todays Disney" many CM's are forced to live in Igervilles. And these same 'Defenders of Disney' applaud the devaluation of one of the last remaining CM benefits.

this....cost cutting has unnecessarily hurt the weakest CMs (economically speaking) those toward the lower pay scale are much more harshly affected but small things like this. and i am one of the most economically conservative gun totting minimum wage hurts the economy types you may meet. but you got to take care of your people.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
this....cost cutting has unnecessarily hurt the weakest CMs (economically speaking) those toward the lower pay scale are much more harshly affected but small things like this. and i am one of the most economically conservative gun totting minimum wage hurts the economy types you may meet. but you got to take care of your people.

Same here I describe my politics as being to the far right of Atilla the Hun. But what Disney is doing to the CM's simply digusts me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom