Full Vaccination Required Ages 5+ Starting 1/13/22

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Clearly Disney is again way way behind the times. All other cruise lines for the most part have dropped the obviously unnecessary covid related protocols.. I give Disney a month to join the rest of the free work and end this nonsense.
I’m shocked you went “hard core knuckle” on this…

But I agree…drop the protocols…just require mandatory vaccination 👍🏻

dr-disney

Clearly Disney is again way way behind the times. All other cruise lines for the most part have dropped the obviously unnecessary covid related protocols.. I give Disney a month to join the rest of the free work and end this nonsense.

Would love to understand what "obviously unnecessary" means in this context.

If someone's tested and they are positive and can't board, they can't infect those on the ship. Doesn't mean some might not slip through, but every positive case caught reduces the spread on the ship. If no one was testing positive over time, then it would be a worthless exercise, but each positive test is, frankly, a risk avoided - even if it's to the detriment of an individual's vacation.

I can't fathom believing a slight testing inconvenience to me somehow outweighs the greater ship's community health.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Not a tremendous change considering the changes by some of the other big lines like Royal Caribbean, Norwegian and the other lines under their companies. I think Disney is just waiting to see what happens and what arrangements other lines can make with other countries before doing anything further. Marie
Still counting on no testing by my next cruise booked in December. Lol

dr-disney

Disney parks and the rest of society doesn’t mandate and never did require a covid test before doing anything. The only exception was medical procedures. And now that has gone in most hospital facilities. With literally almost all cruise lines having zero covid protocols now. Disney has zero reason to continue this. With other cruise lines removing the worry about having a symptom free covid positive test ruining ones cruise. People should just not choose to cruise with Disney untill they stop the nonsense. Thankfully the parks has stopped all covid related anything. Clearly someone making decisions on cruising. Hasn’t got the memo. This won’t last. The testing will be gone within 30/60 days. People won’t stand for it anymore.
Your assessment of the "rest of society" must be rather narrow - plenty of travel, events, venues, schools, and other scenarios required (and some still require) testing, vaccinations, and masks. You may not have liked it, but that's real in the "rest of society". Other cruise lines reducing protocols doesn't make it a good decision. Knowing that you'd want to board the ship and expose the rest of the guests to your COVID is all need to know. Consider going on those other ships. Thanks for the clarification.

Vegas Disney Fan

I was so excited when I saw an email from DCL this morning because I was positive it was to announce the pre board test requirement was going away, this is so disappointing.

We have 2 cruises booked and I hate that the possibility of being denied boarding is still looming over us.

I can’t believe they are dropping vaccination requirements, something that is popular to their guests, and keeping the testing requirements, something that is unpopular with their guests. Sometimes I think Disney intentionally screws with us just to see how much we’ll put up with.

raymusiccity

Disney parks and the rest of society doesn’t mandate and never did require a covid test before doing anything. The only exception was medical procedures. And now that has gone in most hospital facilities. With literally almost all cruise lines having zero covid protocols now. Disney has zero reason to continue this. With other cruise lines removing the worry about having a symptom free covid positive test ruining ones cruise. People should just not choose to cruise with Disney untill they stop the nonsense. Thankfully the parks has stopped all covid related anything. Clearly someone making decisions on cruising. Hasn’t got the memo. This won’t last. The testing will be gone within 30/60 days. People won’t stand for it anymore.
Really don't mind testing. They need to drop the vaccination mandate. There are alot of families that are forced to leave someone behind who cannot be vaccinated because of underlying health issues.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Really don't mind testing. They need to drop the vaccination mandate. There are alot of families that are forced to leave someone behind who cannot be vaccinated because of underlying health issues.
In July…My 4 year old had to do a pre cruise test, an embarkation day test and a third test the day before debarkation. She absolutely hated it. Stressed her the heck out. Next cruise she will be vaccinated so only one test at the most.

wannabeBelle

I am now reading rumours that this new policy will only last a month. And that starting in Oct. No more testing. As DCL will join ALL THE OTHERS. we will see. Kinda dumb Disney is still doing this.
I honestly dont think these is a timeframe on this one, but I think they want to see what happens with Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, Norwegian, Carnival ( Which dropped vaccination and testing protocols)etc. If it goes well and the numbers dont spike, I think that DCL will follow suit. I personally think that all will be the same as it was with the protocols but a stepping down as opposed to a complete removal is probably a smart move for a few reasons. I do think that DCL will drop all protocols at some point, but probably after the other lines to see what the ramifications are, if any. Marie

wannabeBelle

Also keep in mind that testing and vaccination protocols are not only up to the cruise line. I know that Greece, Canada and Bermuda all still require at least testing to get off your ship. In Grand Cayman, you cannot leave the ship if you arent vaccinated. So part of the process is coming to an agreement with various governments of other countries. Marie

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Also keep in mind that testing and vaccination protocols are not only up to the cruise line. I know that Greece, Canada and Bermuda all still require at least testing to get off your ship. In Grand Cayman, you cannot leave the ship if you arent vaccinated. So part of the process is coming to an agreement with various governments of other countries. Marie
It was kinda funny on the last cruise (not DCL), for some of the stops (St. Kitts, St. Croix, San Juan), the cruise line told us to bring our masks and vaccine cards. There were signs at each port telling us that masks were required. But pretty much zero people were actually wearing one. Whether they were locals or tourists, I really didn't see any mitigation at all. Nothing at any place/restaurant we visited from staff or customers. I guess at this point everything is such a moving target, actual local protocols were not updated/communicated yet. Or the local authorities just didn't care at this point.

disneyfireman

Right but DCL is the ONLY one left at least here in the States that still requires anything. Certainly the other cruise lines goes to Grand Cayman

wannabeBelle

Right but DCL is the ONLY one left at least here in the States that still requires anything. Certainly the other cruise lines goes to Grand Cayman
No Royal Caribbean still requires vaccination from some ports including all of Florida. They are not required for ports in California, Texas and Louisiana. They are not requiring testing for cruises 5 nights or less for vaccinated people and are requiring testing for everyone else. Also Bermuda and Canada have different requirements. Take a look at this from Royal's website:
Guests 2 to 11 years of age who are not fully vaccinated must bring a negative test result for a COVID-19 antigen or PCR test taken within the 3 days before boarding day, regardless of the duration of their cruise. These guests will no longer be required to take a second test at the terminal.

Fully vaccinated guests must bring a negative test result for a COVID-19 antigen or PCR test taken within the 3 days before boarding day on sailings that are 6 nights or longer only. Testing is not required for fully vaccinated guests on shorter itineraries.
For testing:
REQUIRED TESTING FOR GUESTS SAILING FROM U.S. HOMEPORTS WITH STOPS IN BERMUDA OR CANADA

All Guests: Required Pre-Cruise Testing

Before arriving on boarding day, you'll need to take a COVID-19 test on your own, at your own expense.
  • Vaccinated guests must show a negative test result for a PCR or antigen test taken no more than 2 days before boarding day. NOTE: Kids age 11 and younger who have been vaccinated may follow the testing protocols for vaccinated guests.
  • Unvaccinated kids age 2 to 11 must show a negative test result for a PCR test (not antigen) taken no more than 3 days before boarding day.
  • Unvaccinated kids' pre-cruise test cannot be taken on boarding day, because that may affect the sample taken during the kids' test at the terminal.

SplashJacket

Would love to understand what "obviously unnecessary" means in this context.

If someone's tested and they are positive and can't board, they can't infect those on the ship. Doesn't mean some might not slip through, but every positive case caught reduces the spread on the ship. If no one was testing positive over time, then it would be a worthless exercise, but each positive test is, frankly, a risk avoided - even if it's to the detriment of an individual's vacation.

I can't fathom believing a slight testing inconvenience to me somehow outweighs the greater ship's community health.
I got off an 11-night Northern European on the magic with 1100 people a few nights ago. We got covid on the cruise, but the testing is utterly brain dead.

Day 1 we test in Dover or within the previous two days. Day 2 we dock in Amsterdam. All 1100 guest and 1000 crew can and did pickup covid in Amsterdam. Testing only makes sense if you’re isolated on the ship or isolated in covid-free areas. After Amsterdam we had 10 more days on the ship. Covid picked up in that port can cycle two-three layers deep by the end (meaning someone you infect can infect other people by the time the cruise ends)

Testing made a lot of sense on the early cruises to nowhere because you never left the bubble. Same for cruises that only go to private islands. But on an 11-night voyage with several stops, it’s a joke.

Testing requirement shouldn’t have been a thing when I cruised this past January and it especially shouldn’t be a thing now.

Going on the transatlantic on the dream in May, and that’s a cruise where testing would make sense. After we leave port in Miami we have 6 sea days (in other words, 6 days of isolation).

I’ve been in Europe for almost three weeks now with vaccination cards and masks in hand, and while I’ve never used the vaccination card, the only mask requirement I’ve run into is a Lufthansa flight (no requirement on Norwegian, Delta, or any airport).

wannabeBelle

I have to disagree on the vaccination/testing thing. We are getting outbreaks on a lot of cruise ships. I was on a sailing earlier this year in May on another cruise line, both my roommate and I were vaccinated and tested along with everyone else on the sailing we were on. A bigger outbreak happened onboard and as we were required to test to fly back to the US, we found out my roommate was positive for Covid. I was negative but she literally didnt have any symptoms at all. As per the requirements she did quarantine and flew back after her quarantine was over. But short of testing yourself every day, there is no way to know that you are positive or negative. Other travel and tourism destinations dont self report they way the cruise industry has done, so there is no way to know what the positivity rate is for any destination. The Cruise lines are simply leveling the playing field by being held to the same standards as a land based vacation. I think the step down approach they are using is smart, and allows us to move forward slowly to see what the effect is, if any. Im not saying the vaccination doesnt work or that my friend's lack of symptoms wasnt a good thing, but having those protocols in place didnt stop the outbreak. Removing them 100% isnt a good idea either but I think this is a good compromise between the two, full protocols and 100% back to normal. Marie

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom