Full POV video ride through of Seven Dwarfs Mine Train

lebeau

Maybe that's because daddy doesn't seem that excited. :)

I'm predicting instant classic status for the target market. We will find out in a few years.

Daddy's trying to psych them up. I actually am excited about checking it out. I am very happy to have scored FPs for it this morning!

I think you are way, way off on instant classic. But as you said before, time will tell.

I'm predicting solid base hit. Somewhere north of Winnie the Pooh but less than Splash or Big Thunder. Maybe along the lines of Mickey's Philharmagic. Something to do when you are waiting on your FP for a must do.

lebeau

I completely disagree with your assessment. I would say 80% of the target audience in Magic Kingdom is young families, and this ride is completely catered to that. All of their rides have some amount of thrill, even Winnie the Pooh. So I think you are just overthinking it, based on your own personal experience. When your daughter is 6 she could feel completely differently about villains. Kids change quickly

My 9 year old shrugged and walked away.

CinematicFusion

Here is another thing. I feel pretty stupid listening to the insiders on this board saying it was going to be just a small little kiddie ride. They way they described the ride was that Disney was once agin cutting corners when it counted most.
I never heard an insider say people are going to love this ride and it's the perfect fit for fantasyland and the target market.
I think for now on I'll hold out judgement on rides until completed. Looking at pandora...if Disney is putting this much detail in their new ideas....pandora is going to be nice.
Now...make Star Wars land awesome, and soon.
Add some love to Epcot...looking at you journey into imagination. Ride needs a complete redo.

CinematicFusion

Daddy's trying to psych them up. I actually am excited about checking it out. I am very happy to have scored FPs for it this morning!

I think you are way, way off on instant classic. But as you said before, time will tell.

I'm predicting solid base hit. Somewhere north of Winnie the Pooh but less than Splash or Big Thunder. Maybe along the lines of Mickey's Philharmagic. Something to do when you are waiting on your FP for a must do.

We will find out, we have both placed our bets. Let's see what people are still saying about the ride when pandora opens.

lebeau

Here is another thing. I feel pretty stupid listening to the insiders on this board saying it was going to be just a small little kiddie ride. They way they described the ride was that Disney was once agin cutting corners when it counted most.
I never heard an insider say people are going to love this ride and it's the perfect fit for fantasyland and the target market.

This actually is pretty much exactly what I imagined based on what we were hearing from insiders.

We will find out, we have both placed our bets. Let's see what people are still saying about the ride when pandora opens.

Deal.

I'll let you know my first-hand experience in a month. Who knows, maybe the kids will even like it.

CinematicFusion

This actually is pretty much exactly what I imagined based on what we were hearing from insiders.

Deal.

I'll let you know my first-hand experience in a month. Who knows, maybe the kids will even like it.

I don't get to ride it until Christmas 2015, hope they have new fantasyland all lighted up by then.

LithiumBill

I may be able to bribe her to ride. It is a shame because without the witch, I'm sure she would enjoy it. But what are you going to do. 5 years olds are like that. I don't hold my daughter's timidness about villains against the ride. But I do think the ride is going to have a somewhat limited appeal. It's not thrilling enough for many and too scary for others in the target demo. The coaster elements may not appeal to those who would have prefered a dark ride and the dark ride elements aren't particularily satisfying.

I think for most, it will be an okay attraction. Something to do in between headliners. After the novelty wears off, I doubt the waits will be very long.
I do understand the timidness, my oldest Daughter has a panic attack every time we walk into the stretching room of the HM... and does not settle down until we are actually IN a Doombuggy. She loves the ride, but hates leaving that room in the dark and going to the load station.

lebeau

I do understand the timidness, my oldest Daughter has a panic attack every time we walk into the stretching room of the HM... and does not settle down until we are actually IN a Doombuggy. She loves the ride, but hates leaving that room in the dark and going to the load station.

Both of my kids have been nervous about the stretching room. I remember the first time I experienced it and it scared me too! But all three of us were fine after that. Slightly scary things are part of the Disney experience. I wouldn't change that if I could.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I'm actually a little disappointed with how this looks at night sadly. I generally love these types of outdoor rides at night because they're often decked out with some really nice and colorful lighting. Big Thunder being one of those examples as very fun to ride at night, and even Splash Mountain. I think the lighting is somewhat lacking on the Mine Train however, there are a few lanterns but not much else that I can see from a lighting perspective.

Remember... it's not done yet either. Don't assume what we see here is 'everything' they have.

CinematicFusion

Well..... they did....

Just sayin'.

To me It feels like they (Disney) looked at this ride as if creating a movie. You at some point have to cut scenes and combine others. Sometimes add more detail as you see the story progress. More track doesn't mean better ride.

I think this ride feels like the perfect amount of time (my opinion)...so I can't say cutting the track was cutting corners in the budget. It feels like they were trying to create the best ride experience. It doesn't in this case feel like Disney had budget cuts over quality on this ride. I can name rides at Disney that do.
Also Disney went back and up scaled the animatronics on this ride. It looks like Disney really wanted to create something very special. It doesn't feel like a cost cutting job. The ride in my opinion feels very well thought out.

What does feel like half thought out jobs is Dinosaur and River Rapids at Animal Kingdom.
What would be a cost cutting move is to say Avatar land has a Soaring style ride and a dark boat ride...and then later cut the boat ride. (as has been rumored...though I don't by into that)

I guess it's just how we all perceive things and most importantly, how does the ride feel when your on it. Everyone will have a different opinion.
I've been hard on Disney but this time I'm tipping my hat to the imaginneers who brought this to life.

Last edited:

rhino4evr

Just a thought..if you are so worried that your kids won't ride a ride because you tell them there is a witch at the end of it, maybe don't tell them there is a witch? Wouldn't you rather your kids be surprised and realize that it really wasn't that scary afterall?

Especially don't show them POVs videos that have no real bearing on wether you will enjoy a ride or not.

I watch POVs because I am addicted to theme park stuff, and I know it won't really spoil my enjoyment of actually riding the ride.

A Ferris Wheel is pretty boring to watch too, but it's still a lot of fun.

djkidkaz

I think for now on I'll hold out judgement on rides until completed. Looking at pandora...if Disney is putting this much detail in their new ideas....pandora is going to be nice.
Now...make Star Wars land awesome, and soon.
Add some love to Epcot...looking at you journey into imagination. Ride needs a complete redo.

I agree. You have to be very careful about the information you trust from people regardless of whether or not they are "insiders". Of all the years I've been here I have noticed that the people who are "insiders" actually don't have that much information. They didn't know about the Fantasyland expansion until after someone showed up here one day, made one post which was the original blueprint for NFL and then never returned. Avatar was another one where the "insiders" never mentioned it, but after the fact claimed that they knew all along but it was just so ridiculous that they never shared it. They also claimed that a water show would NEVER go into Discovery River outside Everest, but here we are today discussing the Rivers of Light show going into just that area. Im not saying that everything they say is bogus, but I think they are privy to a little information here and there and then add in a whole bunch of opinion and incorrect facts/info on top of that. You'll also notice that every post they make is either of a negative tone or an indifferent tone, but never praise.

My opinion on the attraction is that its beautiful and a perfect fit for Fantasyland. I hope to get over there one of these mornings when there is a soft open and actually ride it, but from an exterior stand point its great!

doctornick

I agree. You have to be very careful about the information you trust from people regardless of whether or not they are "insiders".

Well, I think we see a lot of good and accurate information from the "insiders" here. However, the big thing to me is that you have to take the factual information and seperate it from the personal opinions of the source. Part that is that insiders tend to have a much greater understanding of the theme park industry and so they are less easily impressed and/or more critical about things. But those are opinions, not facts. I fet like I saw that a lot in the Animatronics thread, where some harp on specific details like whether the figures can be programmed or have variable movement or have a lot of articulation. Worthy points of discussion among the more nuanced observers, but for a smuck like me, I just care if they look good. And these drawf AAs impress the heck out of me and look like a lot of fun.

Some have constantly mocked this ride as a small "kiddie coaster" that is a minor addition. Factually, that might be reasonable. But subjectively, this ride looks very good to me and looks like a worthwhile addition. I don't care how long it took to build. I don't care what the original plans were (I mean, sure, I'd rather it be longer or have more shos scenes, but I'm not going to let that affect my enjoyment of the ride). Outside of the AAs being better than originally planned (apparently due to a change mid stream), I think the insiders have generally given accurate information. But I think that the general tenor of the opinions that ride that the ride would be unremarkable are off the mark to the typical theme park guest.

In the end, I think this ride will be extremely popular among guests of all ages due to a variety of factors. You have just enough thrill, show, ambiance, unique movement of the vehicles etc. to make this the kind of ride that guests of all ages can enjoy.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I'm actually wondering if that's the flash and the on ride camera is on the right in the rock opening towards the bottom. Don't know just guessing btw.

Could be, I didn't even notice that little cave in the lower right. That area actually doesn't look complete in this pictures.

Chef Mickey

Well, I think we see a lot of good and accurate information from the "insiders" here. However, the big thing to me is that you have to take the factual information and seperate it from the personal opinions of the source. Part that is that insiders tend to have a much greater understanding of the theme park industry and so they are less easily impressed and/or more critical about things. But those are opinions, not facts. I fet like I saw that a lot in the Animatronics thread, where some harp on specific details like whether the figures can be programmed or have variable movement or have a lot of articulation. Worthy points of discussion among the more nuanced observers, but for a smuck like me, I just care if they look good. And these drawf AAs impress the heck out of me and look like a lot of fun.

Some have constantly mocked this ride as a small "kiddie coaster" that is a minor addition. Factually, that might be reasonable. But subjectively, this ride looks very good to me and looks like a worthwhile addition. I don't care how long it took to build. I don't care what the original plans were (I mean, sure, I'd rather it be longer or have more shos scenes, but I'm not going to let that affect my enjoyment of the ride). Outside of the AAs being better than originally planned (apparently due to a change mid stream), I think the insiders have generally given accurate information. But I think that the general tenor of the opinions that ride that the ride would be unremarkable are off the mark to the typical theme park guest.

In the end, I think this ride will be extremely popular among guests of all ages due to a variety of factors. You have just enough thrill, show, ambiance, unique movement of the vehicles etc. to make this the kind of ride that guests of all ages can enjoy.
Totally agree.

Again, this is not supposed to be thrilling. From the looks of it, We got a great ride for all ages with a slight thrill factor. I think Disney produced exactly what they were aiming for and guests will respond positively.

Honestly, all the comparisons with the "great" things universal is supposedly doing are just getting tired. I really believe Disney and Universal have different strategies, different goals, and different attractions. Universal might produce an interesting concept in terms of thrill or ride system, but their content and theming still doesn't compete with Disney. Disney is not trying to be Universal.

Bugdozer

Totally agree.

Again, this is not supposed to be thrilling. From the looks of it, We got a great ride for all ages with a slight thrill factor. I think Disney produced exactly what they were aiming for and guests will respond positively.

Honestly, all the comparisons with the "great" things universal is supposedly doing are just getting tired. I really believe Disney and Universal have different strategies, different goals, and different attractions. Universal might produce an interesting concept in terms of thrill or ride system, but their content and theming still doesn't compete with Disney. Disney is not trying to be Universal.

Well said! I am not a thrill ride junkie. I can't do anything that goes upside down due to vertigo issues. I do not do things like Hulk, Dueling dragons, RNR, TOT so on. I for one am in love with the themed rides. I love Mansion, Pirates, Pooh and yes even mermaid. Does that make me wrong??? No ,different things for different people. If a park catered to just one type of component they would loose a lot of visitors. There has to be diversity. I think the concept of the 7DMT is perfect. It fits well where it is. adds a beautiful space to Fantasyland. I can't wait to see it in a week with all the walls down. The details look phenomenal- look at that ride sign. Looks like it gives just enough bang to excite but not to much to overwhelm kids which is what it is suppose to do. This could be a first introduction into the world of roller coasters to some kids. If it is not your cup of tea that is fine don't ride it. I won't be getting FP for the 3 mountains in MK so that leaves more for you. I too am sick of the comparison between Disney and Universal. They are completely different. There is a different feel to me when I enter each. I have different expectations when I enter either. Once again we should all be happy with the diveristy between all the parks Disney, Universal or which ever. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom