Full POV video ride through of Seven Dwarfs Mine Train

The_Mesh_Hatter

The diamond scene is very well done and the final cottage scene is my favorite part. It reminds me of The Efteling Fairytale Forest (which is a very good thing).

I wish the ride wasn't so segmented, however. It currently feels like rollercoaster-showscene-rollercoaster-showescene. Previous roller coasters like Thunder Mountain strike the balance much better by having little show scenes scattered throughout the ride. I think some limited animatronic critters throughout the outdoor part could've helped this.

The Duck

If you look closely in this video, it looks like Snow White, Dopey and Sneezy promenade all the way across the house, being viewable at times from both the 1st and 2nd set of windows. I haven't seen anything yet that indicates their motions to be anything astounding, but the distance they're able to travel in their animation is admittedly impressive.

Look here:

(Also, this daytime video seems to clear up -no pun intended- the foggy window debate)

Here's a multi-angle video from Big Fat Panda that shows Snow and Dopey/Sneezy dancing on the far end of the room. Apparently they are moving from one side to the other.

Last edited:

lebeau

I'm sure then that she would not have ridden the original ride then, that scared the heck out of my 5 year old.

Oh no way.

It's a fine ride and certainly an improvement over the old one. I just find the ending a bit of a letdown.

We watched the video last night. She decided the witch's laugh is too scary. So it looks like I'll be child swapping the kiddie coaster.

lebeau

It will be interesting to see how many other kids don't ride because of the witch at the end of the ride. Ride itself doesn't come across as menacing. I know smaller kids were scared to death of the original snow white dark ride.
I'm sure some kids will fear the roller coaster aspect of the mine train.
Is what it is...if you didn't have the witch...wow there would be some angry fans. Thought it was good placement and a nice tip of the hat to the old ride.
It's a shame she won't ride, but it's pretty to look at!

I may be able to bribe her to ride. It is a shame because without the witch, I'm sure she would enjoy it. But what are you going to do. 5 years olds are like that. I don't hold my daughter's timidness about villains against the ride. But I do think the ride is going to have a somewhat limited appeal. It's not thrilling enough for many and too scary for others in the target demo. The coaster elements may not appeal to those who would have prefered a dark ride and the dark ride elements aren't particularily satisfying.

I think for most, it will be an okay attraction. Something to do in between headliners. After the novelty wears off, I doubt the waits will be very long.

DrewmanS

I may be able to bribe her to ride. It is a shame because without the witch, I'm sure she would enjoy it. But what are you going to do. 5 years olds are like that. I don't hold my daughter's timidness about villains against the ride. But I do think the ride is going to have a somewhat limited appeal. It's not thrilling enough for many and too scary for others in the target demo. The coaster elements may not appeal to those who would have prefered a dark ride and the dark ride elements aren't particularily satisfying.

I think for most, it will be an okay attraction. Something to do in between headliners. After the novelty wears off, I doubt the waits will be very long.
I think it hits the target demographic nail on the head. My guess is that many young kids who won't ride Barnstormer because it looks like a roller coaster, will try 7DMT. Adults will ride it as a guilty pleasure and a fun experience. The teens might be 'too cool' to ride, but it's not for them. It's a family coaster.

rhino4evr

My daughter was almost 4 when we took her on Barnstomer and Mermaid, and she loved both of them. Just because your 5 year old is scared, doesn't mean all children will be. In fact I'd say the majority of kids would be more scared of the coaster parts then the brief outdoor cameo of the witch.

lebeau

I think it hits the target demographic nail on the head. My guess is that many young kids who won't ride Barnstormer because it looks like a roller coaster, will try 7DMT. Adults will ride it as a guilty pleasure and a fun experience. The teens might be 'too cool' to ride, but it's not for them. It's a family coaster.

It's definitely not thrilling enough for teens. I'm sure some teens will like it. But those will be the kinds of teens who would have enjoyed a traditional dark ride as well.

You don't think it will scare many young kids? I actually think this ride will have the exact same problem as the ride it replaced. Too scary for the little ones. Not thrilling enough for many others. It's not as scary as the old ride and will certainly be more popular. But I think it repeats the same mistake to a lesser degree.

I'm sure there are quite a few young kids who won't mind the coaster elements or the witch. But there are also quite a few who will. In my house, the 9 year old thinks it looks all right and the 5 year old refuses to ride it. No one is especially excited by what we have seen.

lebeau

My daughter was almost 4 when we took her on Barnstomer and Mermaid, and she loved both of them. Just because your 5 year old is scared, doesn't mean all children will be. In fact I'd say the majority of kids would be more scared of the coaster parts then the brief outdoor cameo of the witch.

I'm not saying "all children" will be anything. I have said repeatedly that many children will be pleased I'm sure. I agree the coaster elements are going to scare more kids than the witch cameo. But between the two, a lot of little kids probably won't enjoy the ride. And once kids are old enough to where the witch and the coaster elements don't bother them, they will probably be ready to move on to bigger rides.

I just think there is a relatively small niche that will find this balance of mild thrills and dark ride to be just right. I'm figuring a small percentage of riders will fit into the category my daughter fits in and will find it too scary. A larger percentage, maybe 20% will think this ride hits the right balance. And then the largest percentage will wonder what all the fuss was about. This group will queue up when the wait is 10-15 minutes but won't mind skipping the ride if the line is longer than that.

Mawg

It's definitely not thrilling enough for teens. I'm sure some teens will like it. But those will be the kinds of teens who would have enjoyed a traditional dark ride as well.

You don't think it will scare many young kids? I actually think this ride will have the exact same problem as the ride it replaced. Too scary for the little ones. Not thrilling enough for many others. It's not as scary as the old ride and will certainly be more popular. But I think it repeats the same mistake to a lesser degree.

I'm sure there are quite a few young kids who won't mind the coaster elements or the witch. But there are also quite a few who will. In my house, the 9 year old thinks it looks all right and the 5 year old refuses to ride it. No one is especially excited by what we have seen.
My youngest rode Tower of Terror when he was 4 and it is his favorite ride. For both of mine Halloween is their favorite holiday. All Disney Movies have a Villain and most of the rides too. If your daughter was the majority, Disney would have a huge problem with all their movies and rides. Your daughter is a minority and honestly I believe she will grow out of this in less than a year. Some Villain in the past must of really scared her and now she is grouping them all together that they will always scare her. It'll be something you can tease her about later in life. I remember explaining Villains to my boys at a young age and I always told them He/She is really not a bad guy, just misunderstood, but also how the villain is important to the story and makes the main character grow.

lebeau

My youngest rode Tower of Terror when he was 4 and it is his favorite ride. For both of mine Halloween is their favorite holiday. All Disney Movies have a Villain and most of the rides too. If your daughter was the majority, Disney would have a huge problem with all their movies and rides. Your daughter is a minority and honestly I believe she will grow out of this in less than a year. Some Villain in the past must of really scared her and now she is grouping them all together that they will always scare her. It'll be something you can tease her about later in life. I remember explaining Villains to my boys at a young age and I always told them He/She is really not a bad guy, just misunderstood, but also how the villain is important to the story and makes the main character grow.

Well, no. That doesn't describe my daughter at all. But you know. All kids are different.

I fully acknowledge she is in the minority. But there are kids who dislike villains. There are kids who dislike coasters. There are kids who won't like this ride either because it is too scary or too boring.

I'd wager that four year olds who love ToT are more of a minority than 5 year olds who are afraid of witches.

A lot of people seem to be focused on my example. I understand that she will grow out of it. Probably not in a year but eventually. I don't mind that the witch scares her and I'm not saying that Disney shouldn't have included the witch in the ride. I'm just saying that ending the ride with the witch cackling probably limits the appeal of a ride further.

On the other end of the spectrum, the appeal of the ride is limited by being too tame. You can't please everyone. But I think Disney could have appealed to a broader demo with a couple of tweaks.

CinematicFusion

I'm going to predict instant classic for the young families with children. It might not always have long lines...I've been many times to Disney and just walk on splash mountain.
It will go down as a must to ride at night...and a ride to do at Christmas when they light up fantasy land forest in a few years. Kids are going to love this ride.
I believe for fantasyland and it's intended market...this will be the headliner for the area.
Have to check back in a few years and see. I'll dig ups this post

DrewmanS

Of course all kids are different. When I was little I can remember being scared of Pirates as you entered the dark halls before boarding, but I enjoyed the ride. It never bothered my kids even at 3 years old.

The last visit, my boys were 5 and 7. It took some convincing to get them to try Barnstormer because they could see the roller coaster. It took all day to get them to try splash mountain because all they could see was the big drop. Afterwards they loved it.

I don't think 7DMT will be as intimidating to kids from the outside, so they will give it a try. It may be more scary (in a thrilling way) than a dark ride but a cackling old hag at the end will not be as scary as SWSA.

Listening to the woman laughing on one of the videos, I think adults will find it fun. It might not be the same demographic as SWSA, but I don't think it was meant to be. The young kids who don't like thrills or scary element will wait in line to to Elsa and Anna while others will ride this family coaster.

Skyway

Interesting to note: 7DMT clocks in at around 2 and a half minutes from start to finish, which is almost exactly the same duration as SWSA.

The new indoor mine portion is about a minute.

So in theory they cut about a minute and a half out of the original dark ride and replaced it with what looks like an enjoyable but mild thrill ride that adds some kinetic energy to the rest of FL.

Fair trade off?

(Yes, some will say they should have replaced SWSA with a different dark ride and not a meet and greet. But you could also argue Mermaid is that replacement dark ride, which flip-flopped locations with an inevitable M&G elsewhere in FL.)

CinematicFusion

This ride will be an instant classic for its intended audience.
It will be a must to ride at night....and will be magical when they light up fantasyland for Christmas in a few years. I can see the dwarfs cottage all decorated inside and out and Snow White dancing around a Christmas tree.

I'll have to come back to,the post in a few years to see if I wrong. Disney hit this one out of the park. Instant fantasyland classic.

rhino4evr

I completely disagree with your assessment. I would say 80% of the target audience in Magic Kingdom is young families, and this ride is completely catered to that. All of their rides have some amount of thrill, even Winnie the Pooh. So I think you are just overthinking it, based on your own personal experience. When your daughter is 6 she could feel completely differently about villains. Kids change quickly

CinematicFusion

Maybe that's because daddy doesn't seem that excited. :)

I'm predicting instant classic status for the target market. We will find out in a few years.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom