Full photo coverage of the very first appearance and welcoming ceremony of Duffy

JustInTime

I don't see the problem here. The people who don't like Duffy weren't the target demographic. He is okay in my book. He has such a tiny section anyway. :shrug:

sweetpee_1993

You make a good - and sad - point about Splash Mountain. But at least those characters WERE in a Disney film, plus the book it was based on is still in print. So there's at least some reference there.

I still say that if Disney wants a mascot character for EPCOT, why not use Figment? He's awesome. Better than some dopey nondescript teddy bear.

Figment isn't a good choice for a couple reasons. First & foremost, he's tied to a dying, unpopular attraction. Not Figment's fault. Believe me, I'm with everyone else in the sadness & disappointment of what JII was allowed to become. Aggravating. I remember the days when people lined up out the doors and down the side of the building.... Second, Figment is a purple dragon. To hardcore Epcot Center fans, it doesn't get anymore "classic" than that. Unfortunately, the average guest doesn't have that sentimental feeling towards purple dragons or Figments. The average guest does and can, however, have a sentimental feeling towards soft, cuddly teddy bears. Most everyone has had one at least once in their life. Even if they aren't thinking of their own specific childhood bear, there's a subconscious softness there. Teddy bears are classic "toys" or "loveys" that just about anyone can like.

I don't think you'll ever see it reach the level here that it has in Tokyo.

At the Passholder event there was someone who came all the way from Japan to attend the event! Now that is hardcore!!!

Nah, I don't think it will either.

I wondered if anyone had come over from Japan for the debut. I imagined at least one person would. Very cool!

The only one getting on that boat is you for using the word "fail". It's so overplayed. :lol:

I know it's off-topic but I gotta say "Amen" to this statement. My 14 year old says "fail" for everything. I think I've reached my limit. I believe each use of that word from here on out will be met with an assignment to visit the Thesaurus and create a list of 5 alternative words and the use of each in a sentence. :cool:

MissM

I wondered if anyone had come over from Japan for the debut. I imagined at least one person would. Very cool!
I don't know if they came specifically for the event or not but I saw TWO separate young Japanese women with all sorts of Duffy accessories at MK Saturday. The accessories were clearly not ones available here at WDW.

sweetpee_1993

I don't know if they came specifically for the event or not but I saw TWO separate young Japanese women with all sorts of Duffy accessories at MK Saturday. The accessories were clearly not ones available here at WDW.

Every trip we make we see at least 1 pair of Asian girls who dress totally over the top in Minnie get-ups. They drip of Kawaii. One is always a bit taller than the other. Seriously. I don't know if it's the same two or what but they're always there. Not that I have a problem with that. I love the way they dress and how they seem to truly enjoy themselves. Heck, I wanna go hang out with them. LOL! Your mention of the Japanese women you saw made me think of that. LOL!

MissM

Every trip we make we see at least 1 pair of Asian girls who dress totally over the top in Minnie get-ups. They drip of Kawaii. One is always a bit taller than the other. Seriously. I don't know if it's the same two or what but they're always there. Not that I have a problem with that. I love the way they dress and how they seem to truly enjoy themselves. Heck, I wanna go hang out with them. LOL! Your mention of the Japanese women you saw made me think of that. LOL!
I'm pretty sure I've seen at least one of them myself. :lol:

I've seen some elaborate Lolita outfits as well. Layers with ruffled skirts, boots the whole deal.

I go for comfort and practicality on my days at Disney but more power to them for being so creative in their clothing choices!

Fable McCloud

Does it make me lame that I'm actually excited to get a Duffy bear and drag him all over WDW? Cause he'll be photographed in each park once I obtain him.

24 years old (25 in Jan, right before our trip) and I'm excited about a stuffed bear and Walt Disney World.

It's good to be me.

aladdin2007

Curious how Duffy's doing? Are there crowds lining up to buy one and/or meet him?

I dont know about here, but at DCA its not going over that well according to Al's latest column. They are thinking of having Mickey with Duffy just to try and lure in more people and kids.

drew81

Curious how Duffy's doing? Are there crowds lining up to buy one and/or meet him?

Lines are fairly reasonable. I would think around 20-25 minutes.

I dont know about here, but at DCA its not going over that well according to Al's latest column. They are thinking of having Mickey with Duffy just to try and lure in more people and kids.

I would be surprised if they stuck Mickey with him at Epcot.

aladdin2007

Lines are fairly reasonable. I would think around 20-25 minutes.

I would be surprised if they stuck Mickey with him at Epcot.

It sounds like it may be doing better here and Duffy will do okay on his own at Epcot, compared to DCA. But of course Al would never say anything was going over better at WDW.

fillerup

From today's O'Sentinel:

Disney World bets Duffy the Disney Bear will lift theme-park souvenir sales

Three weeks ago, Disney introduced a new costumed character into company theme parks in Orlando and California. He did not arrive alone.

"Duffy the Disney Bear" debuted in Walt Disney World's Epcot and Disneyland's Disney California Adventure with an army of merchandise. Park souvenir shops began stocking three sizes of stuffed-plush bears and accompanying Duffy costumes, key chains, magnets and more. Additional souvenirs are on the way: Disney says it will have nearly three dozen Duffy items for sale in its theme parks within the next year.

It's a long line of products — all riding on a character that even many Disney fans don't know.

Full Article

aladdin2007

They should give Duffy a wand and some wizard robes, I hear those are selling quite well next door! :ROFLOL:

LOL very true. I noticed a couple days ago no one was buying or paying any attention to the bears or other duffy merch, nor did I see a single one being carried around during the day. They have those bears stocked everywhere and it just doesnt look like any of it is moving. Maybe as Christmas gets closer. The meetngreet looked like it was doing okay but I dont see the the merch blitz campaign lasting too long.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom