Fuel Rod swaps now $3 at WDW

Minthorne

I heard from a bus driver that all electrical outlets on property will soon require a magic band to activate. You will be charged at $5.99 an hour for activating an outlet. Hotel room outlets will also be included, even ones for TV and lamps. Or you can buy the plug and play add on for $199 for the length of your stay (up to 3 days)

flynnibus

Premium Member
As many others here have already pointed out, there are cheaper and better alternatives that many guests have already in their possession. The FuelRod's main selling point was the free, unlimited swaps.

This product's main selling point is "I need a solution now". They are all about targeting users who did NOT plan ahead with a travel battery. "bring your own.." alternatives have always been there.. this product has always been about "I'm screwed.. what can I do?".

Tom P.

Well, I called that one.

A class action lawsuit has already been filed against FuelRod based on the way they were advertised specifically in the Disney parks; namely, the "free swaps" signage. Here is a link to the story from Attractions Magazine:

https://attractionsmagazine.com/fuelrod-class-action-lawsuit-swap-fee/

Interestingly, there is also a story on this up at The Site That Shall Not Be Named. It actually includes an excerpt from the actual court filing. And in the actual court filing, the plaintiffs use a photo and excerpt from a blog post at The Site That Shall Not Be Named to support their claims.

Last edited:

Monorail_Orange

This product's main selling point is "I need a solution now". They are all about targeting users who did NOT plan ahead with a travel battery. "bring your own.." alternatives have always been there.. this product has always been about "I'm screwed.. what can I do?".
Well, I think I said it before, but silly me - I only bought in because of the free swaps. I have a handful of other portable chargers already, and did not "need" this solution, but bought in for the convenience. I would like to think there are others in the same position, that like me, will now say "nevermind."

I do agree with you there is a certain component of guests that use it exactly as you say...they will still buy. Although I think it's likely the "OH S#!t crowd" is buying a rod and not just swapping because they probably forgot the last one they bought at home too.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Well, I think I said it before, but silly me - I only bought in because of the free swaps. I have a handful of other portable chargers already, and did not "need" this solution, but bought in for the convenience. I would like to think there are others in the same position, that like me, will now say "nevermind."

Your use case is fine.. it just isn't the main one driving the business model... but it is why the business model suffers at a location with frequent return visitors. When you keep returning with the same prior purchase... you buck the model. When it's a place like WDW with a lot of locals and repeat APs who do exactly what you did.. the company then faces long term recurring costs with no new revenue. You always assume a portion of the customer base is motivated enough to do that... but as long as its within your target % range.. you've accounted for it.

The product strategy assumes users will buy and use the device only a short period of time.. and the refill 'feature' is intended to justify the higher initial selling price (and defeat concerns over quality and capacity). It allows them to boost their ASP, reduce their product cost, and provides a marketing angle vs the alternative solutions.

I bring all this up because the above use case doesn't go away just because their are alternatives people can bring their own. That alternative has always been there... this product's strategy has always been driven by 'immediate need'. The problem is they lose the big "FREE" tag which buyers really latch onto. This change is the simplest to implement.. but I do think there are better hybrid solutions that wouldn't have hurt their marketing to the main use case as much.

ThatMouse

FuelRod was a bad deal before the $3 swap! Also don't buy batteries at the grocery store checkout line. Those are crap. Look on Amazon for good reviews and the size and weight you'd like to carry around with you. Charging speed and capacity matter.

Also, a new phone will have better battery life. I know Android has some battery saver software that lets you put it into a power saving mode. You might also try dimming your screen at night especially when you are taking pictures right in front of me. Look into all that. :p

seascape

FuelRod was a bad deal before the $3 swap! Also don't buy batteries at the grocery store checkout line. Those are crap. Look on Amazon for good reviews and the size and weight you'd like to carry around with you. Charging speed and capacity matter.

Also, a new phone will have better battery life. I know Android has some battery saver software that lets you put it into a power saving mode. You might also try dimming your screen at ki night especially when you are taking pictures right in front of me. Look into all that. :p
I used fuel rods for years, every since they started at WDW. In my opinion, they were a good deal. My wife and I kept both our phones charged every day in the parks and swapped them several times a day. Since we go 4 to 5 times a year, I cant begin to figure out how many times we changed them but I am sure it was over 300 times so the cost was pennies a swap and I am sure they lost money on our purchase. I am shocked the free swaps lasted as long as they have. That said, I will now use my own batteries to recharge our phones and recharge them in our DVC room.

ThatMouse

I used fuel rods for years, every since they started at WDW. In my opinion, they were a good deal. My wife and I kept both our phones charged every day in the parks and swapped them several times a day. Since we go 4 to 5 times a year, I cant begin to figure out how many times we changed them but I am sure it was over 300 times so the cost was pennies a swap and I am sure they lost money on our purchase. I am shocked the free swaps lasted as long as they have. That said, I will now use my own batteries to recharge our phones and recharge them in our DVC room.

We go 4 times a year usually too. If you're swapping several times a day I'm thinking a better external battery would be better! You could go with a couple small ones that fit in pockets or larger ones that fit in a bag. Also your phone may need an upgrade if it's getting bad battery life, or you have an app that's draining it. Newer phones charge quicker too so a 15 min stop at the room can recharge you. If you're using it for video or live streaming or something then you're already outgrown a fuelrod.

SpoiledBlueMilk

And turn off the darn flash! Not just in dark rides, but the number of flashes going off during fireworks from phones is maddening never mind completely useless.

This should get its own thread - people think that their flashes are magical instruments that can illuminate far off places for that perfect photograph. People, please understand that short throw flashes like the one on your phone won't do anything after a foot or so. Using a flash on Pirates to illuminate the guy selling the chickens 15 feet away is as pointless as it is annoying to other people on the ride.

seascape

We go 4 times a year usually too. If you're swapping several times a day I'm thinking a better external battery would be better! You could go with a couple small ones that fit in pockets or larger ones that fit in a bag. Also your phone may need an upgrade if it's getting bad battery life, or you have an app that's draining it. Newer phones charge quicker too so a 15 min stop at the room can recharge you. If you're using it for video or live streaming or something then you're already outgrown a fuelrod.
Remember, we used it for two phones not one. Of course you are right, 2600 mAH is much lower than my 5200 mAh internal battery and that I have several 10,000 mAh external ones already. I still found the much smaller fuel rod convenient and a good value while they had the free swapping. At $3.00 a swap, I will carry my own batteries.

flynnibus

Premium Member

Think about it... you're telling the guy who spent $30 as a one time fee to fix the problem that they should probably buy a $700-$1200 (x2) new phone to solve the problem..

He's using basically a lipstick sized device instead of a brick... because he has the convenience of just getting another vs having to carry it all around himself.

As long as the kiosks are working and readily available... he wasn't getting the worse deal than your path :)

KeithVH

I'm waiting for the next shoe drop - somebody tests the units that come out of the machine and find they're not fully charged, defective, or <because reasons> and they decide to pile on the whole "not as advertised" argument.

seascape

I'm waiting for the next shoe drop - somebody tests the units that come out of the machine and find they're not fully charged, defective, or <because reasons> and they decide to pile on the whole "not as advertised" argument.
I did find some that were very weak and did not charge my phone that much. It never bothered be becausexI just swapped it out. Now, if I had paid $3.00, you can be sure I would have complained and demanded Disney give me another one. This is going to be a problem until they remove all the fuel rods.

21stamps

Yes, it hurts the value now.
I have one, but I also have another charger.. I’ll just bring both now instead of paying to swap.

ThatMouse

Think about it... you're telling the guy who spent $30 as a one time fee to fix the problem that they should probably buy a $700-$1200 (x2) new phone to solve the problem..

Seascape noted they were DVC members so either than means they are rich or poor for having a second mortgage! hehe! The fuelrods are tiny and probably slow charging. Just suggesting if your phone is 5+ years old and can't make it through a good hour of use then a new phone will triple that and lighten your load. Unfortunately replacing the phone battery is probably not a good value either as newer phone technology helps in battery savings too.

seascape

Seascape noted they were DVC members so either than means they are rich or poor for having a second mortgage! hehe! The fuelrods are tiny and probably slow charging. Just suggesting if your phone is 5+ years old and can't make it through a good hour of use then a new phone will triple that and lighten your load. Unfortunately replacing the phone battery is probably not a good value either as newer phone technology helps in battery savings too.
All I will say is I am not poor, but I am not extremely rich. I am retired and unfortunately never had children. My nieces and nephews like that. My wife and I are comfortable and can afford the many trips we take to WDW and elsewhere.

Anyway, no one should ever buy a timeshare unless they can pay cash or a minimum put over half down. Otherwise they, timeshares other than Disney, sell for almost nothing. I paid cash and love to spend time at WDW. Food and Wine, Flower and Garden. Fesitval of the Holidays, and Festival of Arts.

21stamps

I do agree with you there is a certain component of guests that use it exactly as you say...they will still buy. Although I think it's likely the "OH S#!t crowd" is buying a rod and not just swapping because they probably forgot the last one they bought at home too.

Same here. I think it’s the same for most people who bought them at the park. There’s plenty of other chargers to choose from, but the convenience of the swap was what made Fuel Rods the best value.

21stamps

He's using basically a lipstick sized device instead of a brick... because he has the convenience of just getting another vs having to carry it all around himself.

As long as the kiosks are working and readily available... he wasn't getting the worse deal than your path :)
I had the newest iPhone, purchased on the September release date, when I bought my fuel rod in 2016.. in November.
The iPhone still wasn’t a match for how much I used it. An extra charger was a necessity.

New phones aren’t always the answer.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom