Fuel Rod swaps now $3 at WDW

flynnibus

Premium Member
Disney wouldn't lose any money from people throwing their fuel rod away. The sale already happened and they have their money. If anything, throwing them away would save Disney/FuelRod money, as they'd have to service the machine less often.

But if people return the Fuel Rods, Disney can recharge them for a fraction of a cent instead of actually having to continue to place newly manufactured units in the kiosks. Seems like that would be a major savings for them.

For those not paying attention... they dont want you recyling fuel rods forever. They want you to forget it, lose it, etc and buy AGAIN.

The company gains no revenue from people recycling rods... and buying new rods is already built into the margin of sale.

Goofnut1980

For those not paying attention... they dont want you recyling fuel rods forever. They want you to forget it, lose it, etc and buy AGAIN.

The company gains no revenue from people recycling rods... and buying new rods is already built into the margin of sale.

I hear you but if they want that, then they need to change the initial buy in cost. At $12 I would just buy a new one but at $30 a pop, I will keep track of where that sucker is at all times. The moment they add to the fee of swaps, I will just go back to my bigger battery that actually charges my iPhone 11 pro.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I hear you but if they want that, then they need to change the initial buy in cost. At $12 I would just buy a new one but at $30 a pop, I will keep track of where that sucker is at all times. The moment they add to the fee of swaps, I will just go back to my bigger battery that actually charges my iPhone 11 pro.

They are simply "following industry standards" on pricing... :rolleyes:

flynnibus

Premium Member

They want you to see the value in multiple charges and pay the upsale... that doesn't mean they are relying on you returning the rod for the next new customer sale.

They want you to use a few swaps and forget or lose it before you make too many return trips... and sell you another one the next time you are in a pinch.

This isn't about needing zero swaps... it's that they don't want it to be infinite. Just sell you on that idea... and count that the vast majority never do.

Phil12

They want you to see the value in multiple charges and pay the upsale... that doesn't mean they are relying on you returning the rod for the next new customer sale.

They want you to use a few swaps and forget or lose it before you make too many return trips... and sell you another one the next time you are in a pinch.

This isn't about needing zero swaps... it's that they don't want it to be infinite. Just sell you on that idea... and count that the vast majority never do.
I think the vast majority are more frugal.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
SAN DIEGO – July 10, 2020 – Tricopian, Inc. (DBA: FuelRod) announces the availability of the “Founders” status in recognition of the continued support and loyalty of the most valued customers and “early adopters” (*) of FuelRod’s world-first, power-on-the-go program. The creation of the “Founders” status also resolves pending litigation against it pertaining to changes in its policies regarding charges for swapping its devices.(**) As a Founder, the customer can continue to enjoy free, unlimited swaps at any FuelRod kiosks (***). There is no cost to eligible customers to become a Founder.
Once verified, Founders will use the FuelRod app in conjunction with the kiosks to obtain free swaps under the program. The app will generate a scannable QR code that will be input at the kiosk at the time of the swap. The kiosk will then allow Founders to swap their existing FuelRods for free, even at kiosks that charge to swap.

All existing FuelRod customers are encouraged to verify their eligibility by completing a simple questionnaire at https://kiosks.fuel-rod.com/questionnaire.php.

NOTE: Upon verification, the customer must create an account on the FuelRod Mobile app using the same email address as indicated in the questionnaire before their “Founders” status can be automatically activated.

If the customer doesn’t already have the FuelRod app on their smartphone, they must download it and create their account using the same email address as indicated in the questionnaire.

If the customer has already created an account on the FuelRod mobile app using the verified email address, they need to make sure that it’s been updated to v2.1.0 or later.

* To qualify, a purchase must have been made before 10/26/2019 and must not have been subsequently refunded in full.

** The litigation was pending in the United States District Court for the Southern District of California, Case No. 3:19-cv-02060-MMA-JLB before the Hon. Michael M. Anello. Plaintiff was represented by James J. Rosemergy of Carey, Danis & Lowe in St. Louis, Missouri. Defendant was represented by Timothy M. Flaherty and David M. Perl of Clark Hill in San Francisco, California. For any questions or assistance in verifying and activating their account, customers can call FuelRod’s customer service number (844) 383-5763, or send email to support@fuel-rod.com.

*** For the duration of your Founder status in good standing; limited to a) First-Generation FuelRods only; b) one mobile device; and c) one user account per Founder.
FuelRod SwapBox kiosks are available at a growing number of locations in the U.S. In addition, FuelRod chargers can be purchased online at www.fuel-rod.com. FuelRod can be found on Twitter @FuelRodPower and on Facebook at FuelRodPower.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
So how long before fuelrod closes up shop for good? I can't see them lasting much longer
With the very low cost that you can buy these portable chargers from Amazon with a lot of capacity and combined with longer device life, it seems a difficult market to survive in long term.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
We've been using the fuel rods for years and its been very convenient. Met plenty of people while swapping one out that enjoy them as well. Also had many people ask what the machine is for when Ive swapped one out and they wound up getting one. I think they will be around for awhile.

And FYI, you can recharge it on your own with a cell phone charger. If someone wanted to avoid the fee for swapping, just get two and you can charge one up in the room while youre in the parks or bring both with you if you stay in the parks all day. Takes about 30-45 minutes to charge them on a cell charger.

esskay

I've never seen the point in them. You can get power banks on amazon that can charge phones several times over. I've got an anker one about the size of a tv remote - its massive overkill and charges an iphone 11 pro max 8 times on one charge.

The Fuel Rod ones also seem to have incredibly poor capacity, even one of the basic little < $15 ones on amazon is going to do a better job.

DisneyOutsider

We've been using the fuel rods for years and its been very convenient. Met plenty of people while swapping one out that enjoy them as well. Also had many people ask what the machine is for when Ive swapped one out and they wound up getting one. I think they will be around for awhile.

And FYI, you can recharge it on your own with a cell phone charger. If someone wanted to avoid the fee for swapping, just get two and you can charge one up in the room while youre in the parks or bring both with you if you stay in the parks all day. Takes about 30-45 minutes to charge them on a cell charger.
But why would you bother with charging it on your own considering it's both more bulky and less powerful than cheap units on Amazon?

Batteries get cheaper over time... The fact that they're raising their price means it's over for them

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
But why would you bother with charging it on your own considering it's both more bulky and less powerful than cheap units on Amazon?

Batteries get cheaper over time... The fact that they're raising their price means it's over for them
We've got several. It's free. It's not that bulky for me. I just put my phone in my wife's backpack while it charges when we're at the parks and my phone is charged in 30 min.

I'm not saying fuel rods are the best by any means. We have just acquired several over the years so we make the best use of them.

halltd

SAN DIEGO – July 10, 2020 – Tricopian, Inc. (DBA: FuelRod) announces the availability of the “Founders” status in recognition of the continued support and loyalty of the most valued customers and “early adopters” (*) of FuelRod’s world-first, power-on-the-go program. The creation of the “Founders” status also resolves pending litigation against it pertaining to changes in its policies regarding charges for swapping its devices.(**) As a Founder, the customer can continue to enjoy free, unlimited swaps at any FuelRod kiosks (***). There is no cost to eligible customers to become a Founder.
Once verified, Founders will use the FuelRod app in conjunction with the kiosks to obtain free swaps under the program. The app will generate a scannable QR code that will be input at the kiosk at the time of the swap. The kiosk will then allow Founders to swap their existing FuelRods for free, even at kiosks that charge to swap.

All existing FuelRod customers are encouraged to verify their eligibility by completing a simple questionnaire at https://kiosks.fuel-rod.com/questionnaire.php.

NOTE: Upon verification, the customer must create an account on the FuelRod Mobile app using the same email address as indicated in the questionnaire before their “Founders” status can be automatically activated.

If the customer doesn’t already have the FuelRod app on their smartphone, they must download it and create their account using the same email address as indicated in the questionnaire.

If the customer has already created an account on the FuelRod mobile app using the verified email address, they need to make sure that it’s been updated to v2.1.0 or later.

* To qualify, a purchase must have been made before 10/26/2019 and must not have been subsequently refunded in full.

** The litigation was pending in the United States District Court for the Southern District of California, Case No. 3:19-cv-02060-MMA-JLB before the Hon. Michael M. Anello. Plaintiff was represented by James J. Rosemergy of Carey, Danis &amp; Lowe in St. Louis, Missouri. Defendant was represented by Timothy M. Flaherty and David M. Perl of Clark Hill in San Francisco, California. For any questions or assistance in verifying and activating their account, customers can call FuelRod’s customer service number (844) 383-5763, or send email to support@fuel-rod.com.

*** For the duration of your Founder status in good standing; limited to a) First-Generation FuelRods only; b) one mobile device; and c) one user account per Founder.
FuelRod SwapBox kiosks are available at a growing number of locations in the U.S. In addition, FuelRod chargers can be purchased online at www.fuel-rod.com. FuelRod can be found on Twitter @FuelRodPower and on Facebook at FuelRodPower.
Does anyone know how this charge appeared on people's cards when purchased at WDW? I searched my CC for "fuelrod" and nothing came up. I have no idea when I bought it, but I know it was way before October. They did not email me a receipt, so my only proof would be the CC charge.

IMDREW

Does anyone know how this charge appeared on people's cards when purchased at WDW? I searched my CC for "fuelrod" and nothing came up. I have no idea when I bought it, but I know it was way before October. They did not email me a receipt, so my only proof would be the CC charge.
Same problem

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom