frustratingly vague MK rumor...

StevenT

AGH! The music! :lol:

Very intersting read though. Thanks! :wave:

It sounds like this very old rumor still has a little bit of validity left in it. One thing that cought my eye was:
"WDI quickly divided into two schools of thought concerning this project : those who thought that any attraction that was proposed to replace the old "20K" ride had to be Jules Verne-ish in tone, and those who thought that any new thrill ride that was planned for this part of the Magic Kingdom had to be a good neighbor to Fantasyland and Mickey's Toontown Fair (ie: the attraction should be kid-friendly, fantasy-based and/or cartoony in nature)."

That sounds very similar to the initial rumor posted on this thread. Two rides, but we can't say exactly what it will be. It is possible that these attractions were simply delayed. Everyone knows that Disney has had some financial trouble, and with the post 9/11 slump in travel, maybe the money just wasn't there for a new ride at the Magic Kingdom.

I personally won't be expecting a "Fire Mountain" because I think the movie Atlantis has been pretty much forgotten, but I think that although this rumor is old, we could very well see a villian mountiain. As this thread's rumor suggests 2008 would seem about right, 2 years after Everest opens.

Rosso11

Tomorrowland Speedway move?

I was wondering if there was still talk about moving the speedway to epcot in front of test track. I believe I remember hearing this rumor back when Jim Hill ran his story on project gemini. There was talk of moving the speedway there in order to add more kid friendly rides as well as open up a big piece of land at the Magic Kingdom. However, now with 20,000 leagues gone and the speedway directly next to it if it was moved to epcot this would be a tremendous piece of property that the imagineers could work with. The ideas are endless with this land being placed at the corner of Tomorrowland, Fantasyland, and Toon Town.

imagineer boy

I'm sort of hoping for the following for the 20k lagoon ( gosh, there are a ton of 20k threads all of a sudden )

1. Some sort of Toon Town expansion

2. Some special new dark ride based on something like Marry Poppins.

If they're gonna have HP in WDW, put him in the Studios. He fits better there.

No more mountains! I think the MK has enough.

Shaman

Interesting stuff...is it possible that a decision has already been made (or close to being made) on a replacement...doesn't seem like a logical thing to replace the lagoon with nothing but trees, landscape....

And if an E Ticket goes in that area...wouldn't that cause even more headaches for the extreme-traffic plagued Fantasy Land...two D Tickets sounds like a better idea...

Put the new E Ticket where the Jungle Cruise is, and move JC to AK....just some thoughts...

TheDScoop

Original Poster
As I mentioned, I don't have any info on specific theming. However, I do believe that Disney is distributing a Jules Verne flick next year as one of its big peak season movies.

It's purely speculation but maybe there is some connection.

Anyhow, I'll let you know if I hear anymore (or less vague) details.

Scoop.

p.s. If you haven't followed the link to the article on arkstar, I'd highly recommend doing so. Yes, it was a long read, but it had some very interesting nuggets. In fact, I've forwarded the link to several Disney-type folks I know and asked them what their take was on it...

Shaman

TheDScoop said:
p.s. If you haven't followed the link to the article on arkstar, I'd highly recommend doing so. Yes, it was a long read, but it had some very interesting nuggets. In fact, I've forwarded the link to several Disney-type folks I know and asked them what their take was on it...
Very interesting stuff...thanks for the heads up...I hadn't clicked on the link...

Seeing as we never saw Fire Mountain (probably because well, the movie wasn't as successful as they had hoped)...perhaps we will see a different incarnation of that attraction in the future for AdventureLand...or even AK...

I love the ideas for "Villain Mountain" infact I think that would fit it nicely in that area...I hope thats was gets built (although I must admit I'm not too thrilled that its just another flume ride)....the whole flume type-ride rumor kinda fits in with what you're hearing Scoop...

Lets see what happens...Fall 2004 is headed this way...(wishful thinking? Maybe...maybe not)...

BDAN29

Rosso11 said:
I was wondering if there was still talk about moving the speedway to epcot in front of test track. I believe I remember hearing this rumor back when Jim Hill ran his story on project gemini. There was talk of moving the speedway there in order to add more kid friendly rides as well as open up a big piece of land at the Magic Kingdom. However, now with 20,000 leagues gone and the speedway directly next to it if it was moved to epcot this would be a tremendous piece of property that the imagineers could work with. The ideas are endless with this land being placed at the corner of Tomorrowland, Fantasyland, and Toon Town.
I really doubt this would happen. If they are going to close the Indy Speedway, it's really unlikely they would rebuild it unless it was in the form of DLR's Autopia. Also, it can't really be moved to the Test Track area because there isn't room for it in front of the ride. Between Mission: Space and Test Track, that area generates a lot of teen-adult traffic. Adding younger kids to the area would make it extremely congested.

As for the 20K area, I think an E-Ticket makes sense, but not a mountain. There are already three and I don't think they would put another one in that area of the park. Harry Potter is a definite possibility, but I would expect that in Universal over Disney. For now, all we can do is wait and hope some more information gets out. Thanks for the info, guys.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
BDAN29 said:
If they are going to close the Indy Speedway, it's really unlikely they would rebuild it unless it was in the form of DLR's Autopia. Also, it can't really be moved to the Test Track area because there isn't room for it in front of the ride. Between Mission: Space and Test Track

The Gemini plan for Junior Autopia was for it to have the main body of the track on the green between Test Track and Innoevtions, with a loop in front of TT, turning between TT and Mission:Space. The way TWDC`s finances are, I doubt much of Gemini will happen. I hope not anyhow. StormRiders? Yes! Gut SSE and remove Innoventions? NO!

dxwwf3

marni1971 said:
StormRiders? Yes! Gut SSE and remove Innoventions? NO!

Exactly. StormRiders is really the only thing that interests me about the whole Gemini project. Hopefully that is the only thing that will actually appear. It would be nice to have a simulator attraction to make up for losing Body Wars.

netenyahoo

I don't understand why they would put a height restriction on a ride in Fantasyland. The place will be more crowded because parents will have to do kid swaps and people will have to wait around outside while others ride similar to what happens at Mission: Space. I personally think the idea of 2 D tickets makes more sense for the area. If the higher ups want an E ticket built in the Magic Kingdom they should build it in Adventureland or Tomorrowland.

GoofMaul

E-ticket, water type ride in Fantasyland? hmmm....

Do you think a Finding Nemo dark coaster ride is possible?

Think riding the East-Australian current. It is high time Finding Nemo gets a real attraction at WDW.

ToTBellHop

netenyahoo said:
I don't understand why they would put a height restriction on a ride in Fantasyland. The place will be more crowded because parents will have to do kid swaps and people will have to wait around outside while others ride similar to what happens at Mission: Space. I personally think the idea of 2 D tickets makes more sense for the area. If the higher ups want an E ticket built in the Magic Kingdom they should build it in Adventureland or Tomorrowland.
They would do it for the same reason Walt did it in Disneyland's Fantasyland in 1959 with Matterhorn Bobsleds. It works.

netenyahoo

Matterhorn's height limit is like 35" or something which is really good for a coaster ride. (Matterhorn was also in Tomorrowland when it opened, so it wasn't in Fantasyland. Just being a dork with that! ;) )

In the vague rumor he said it would probably be 40" or more. I think it would be ok to have an E- ticket ride, but make sure in Fantasyland the height limit is under 40". High height limits exclude so many kids.

Glasgow

Thanks for the article Scoop - very intriguing

I think the idea of having a "Fire Mountain" style ride in Adventureland is fantastic. That is probably the most under appreciated land in the MK, IMHO. As for the Villain Mtn project, that just seems a little too audacious - just a little much for the 20k area. Very cool idea, but I have my doubts that it'll get built -- I hope I'm wrong! What is/was the ride in DL that had the coaster cars also going through the water? That seems to fit more

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom