Frozen vs. Maelstrom

PurpleMan

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
I finally got around to creating a meme that describes my feelings about the current ride that now occupies the space that will always be troll country.;)
47znjp.jpg

JIMINYCR

Maelstrom was a better quality attraction. I enjoyed the Trolls and the at times exciting boat ride. But being an educational bit, it didnt deliver for the kiddies. Once Disney saw the opening to put a line builder in its place by working off of Frozen, it was gone as fast as they could tear it out.

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
While Maelstrom was always one of my family's favorites and we often use the phrases Disappear, disappear and back, back, over the falls (We live in Niagara County NY ;) ) in our every day lives we all do agree that FEA was done quite well and we really enjoy it.
I didn't even really like the movie much until FEA and the Frozen Sing Along. Now Frozen is actually one of my favorites. Frozen 2 is another story lol.

Besides the change had a lot to do with Norway's contract with Disney expiring and Norway not wanting to pay what Disney wanted for them to have rights at the Pavilion. (I don't blame Norway for that)

PurpleMan

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Besides the change had a lot to do with Norway's contract with Disney expiring and Norway not wanting to pay what Disney wanted for them to have rights at the Pavilion. (I don't blame Norway for that)
Yeah, I believe the Norwegian government stopped funding the pavilion in 2002.

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
Yeah, I believe the Norwegian government stopped funding the pavilion in 2002.

Well then think about it... Disney had every right to change what they wanted with it having not been under contract for so long prior to changing it. Now I will say you're dang lucky they didn't change it sooner and should be grateful for the times you went on it.
Walt was all about things evolving so that's what they do.
Do I like all changes? No. But you can't please everyone all the time.

PurpleMan

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Now I will say you're dang lucky they didn't change it sooner and should be grateful for the times you went on it.
I have nothing against Frozen or FEA. It was a decent movie that made Disney a ton of money and the ride itself is wonderful. BUT it doesn't belong in Norway. Just because Disney could stick it there doesn't mean they should. Anyone can argue how Arendelle was modeled after real life Norwegian villages and towns as justification for putting the ride in the pavilion BUT they're grasping for straws at that point. Disney could have refurbed Maelstrom and put FEA somewhere in the MK.

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
I have nothing against Frozen or FEA. It was a decent movie that made Disney a ton of money and the ride itself is wonderful. BUT it doesn't belong in Norway. Just because Disney could stick it there doesn't mean they should. Anyone can argue how Arendelle was modeled after real life Norwegian villages and towns as justification for putting the ride in the pavilion BUT they're grasping for straws at that point. Disney could have refurbed Maelstrom and put FEA somewhere in the MK.

I just see no point in lamenting about it YEARS after the change.
The attraction was closed 6 years ago in October.

PurpleMan

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
I just see no point in lamenting about it YEARS after the change.
The attraction was closed 6 years ago in October.
LOL I had a feeling I'd be butting heads with someone who loves the IP attractions. It doesn't matter how many years ago the ride closed, fans of Maelstrom aren't going to forget it. And if me posting about now or even 5 years from now "offends" you then I don't know what else to say. You're getting no apologies from me.

Jedi Stitch

I never got to be at Epcot for Maelstrom, and I have not been back for Frozen. I have watched both ride video's and find them equally fun. I am a person who enjoys history, I would have enjoyed historical ride. I also enjoy the very well themed frozen with high end upgraded animatronics. So, as long as Disney keeps the maintenance up on Frozen so when I finally get to see it it won't be a broken down Possum town from the Goofy Movie. I think the new Mission to Mars at Epcot is way better than the old one at Disneyland. I like when really dated rides get replaced for something better. Well...Pirates will be pirates and gentrifying it was a disservice. In the end, when Disney changes a ride they either need to completely retheme it, make it new and hit it out of the park with new engrossing emersion of theming and new top notch AA. Only, then I can get behind it. Only, if the old ride is completely out of date and and non-functioning most of the time. The problem is many of Disney's rides are timeless, and only politics change, so making left or right leaning decisions only last an administration.

eliza61nyc

I'm glad Maelstrom is gone. It was dull, old and boring.
I am not a huge frozen fan but think watching paint dry would be better than Maelstrom so anything there is an improvement

Now could it have been updated?? Sure. I don't know why Disney does not do that but the same argument is made for the great movie ride, glad that one is gone too

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
LOL I had a feeling I'd be butting heads with someone who loves the IP attractions. It doesn't matter how many years ago the ride closed, fans of Maelstrom aren't going to forget it. And if me posting about now or even 5 years from now "offends" you then I don't know what else to say. You're getting no apologies from me.
I like what I like.
I liked Maelstom and I like FEA.
I do not like that they closed Sounds Dangerous With Drew Carey and the Soundsations Booth.
I liked Illuminations. I probably wont care about Harmonious.
I like Carousel of Progress.
I do not like that they changed The Great Movie Ride.
I do like NFL.
I am not happy about the Splash Mountain change but at least I am ok with the idea of Princess and the Frog.
Again there are always going to be changes I like and changes I dont like but I understand things will change and there's not much I can do about it.

PurpleMan

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
I'm glad Maelstrom is gone. It was dull, old and boring.
I am not a huge frozen fan but think watching paint dry would be better than Maelstrom so anything there is an improvement

Now could it have been updated?? Sure. I don't know why Disney does not do that but the same argument is made for the great movie ride, glad that one is gone too
It's funny, I was talking to someone a few years back who pretty much said the same thing and come to find out she never rode it once. I hope for your sake that isn't the case for you.😂
Again there are always going to be changes I like and changes I dont like but I understand things will change and there's not much I can do about it.
Everyone is going to have different opinions regarding former and current attractions. Do I expect everyone to miss Maelstrom? Of course not. But I'm pretty sure Maelstrom is a zillion times better than watching paint dry. *cough* @eliza61nyc *cough*

eliza61nyc

It's funny, I was talking to someone a few years back who pretty much said the same thing and come to find out she never rode it once. I hope for your sake that isn't the case for you.😂

Everyone is going to have different opinions regarding former and current attractions. Do I expect everyone to miss Maelstrom? Of course not. But I'm pretty sure Maelstrom is a zillion times better than watching paint dry. *cough* @eliza61nyc *cough*
Oh gosh 😮. Lol no we actually are the type where we try and ride everything. Been on Maelstrom a number of times. Actually Dumbo and the show with the Bear animatronics in MK ( forgot the name) are the two I haven't done in 20 years.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom