Frozen vs. Maelstrom

muddyrivers

I've always held that the attractions in a pavilion should be representative of the culture and country without the injecting of IP. Regardless of one's opinion on how good or bad the ride is, putting IP into a country's attraction seems to detract from the edutainment purpose that EPCOT Center once had.

tl;dr Maelstrom over Frozen every day :)

PurpleMan

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
I've always held that the attractions in a pavilion should be representative of the culture and country without the injecting of IP. Regardless of one's opinion on how good or bad the ride is, putting IP into a country's attraction seems to detract from the edutainment purpose that EPCOT Center once had.

tl;dr Maelstrom over Frozen every day :)
tenor.gif

Dayma

I am ole school. I really liked the educational slant that these rides were supposed to have. I get that rides need to be refreshed but in general I prefer to not see Disney characters in these rides.

With that being said. I actually enjoy the Frozen ride. Is it what I would have wanted? No. I still enjoy it for what it is though.

I can be both a fan of the old and the new I guess :)

KimAnnFran

Seems to explain the current generation coming up..Kinda wimpy. I liked the Maelstrom. It was about the country and viking culture not a business-to-make money IP ride.
Maelstrom of course, and I've never ridden Frozen, just watched the entire ride through. Over the falls!

KimAnnFran

This well summarizes the difference between "old" and "new" Disney. Old Disney was about creating "intellectual property" with lasting cultural resonance. New Disney is about selling what is hot today and hoping for the best tomorrow. FEA doesn't get the numbers it does without the rest of Epcot and WDW being built on attractions that look more like Maelstrom.
I love this sentence, "Old Disney was about creating "intellectual property" with lasting cultural resonance." That is exactly it and I loved every moment.

erasure fan1

People can complain all they want but people still go to Epcot and now a lot more people go in the Norway pavilion to experience the ride.
I really dislike this type of thinking. It goes without saying, take any not so demanded attraction, insert hot IP, and whamo! It's more popular. Guess what? I can make the American and Japan pavilion more popular. Slap a big hero 6 coaster down and call it Sanfransokyo! Instant mega popularity. But just because you can, doesn't mean you should. Disney should be better than that in my eyes.

Walt Disney1955

I was impressed with Frozen. I really was. It is a good ride.

But I did like Maelstrom. It was rugged, sort of an original idea not tied to a movie. I say this a lot, but they could have kept both?

Walt Disney1955

I really dislike this type of thinking. It goes without saying, take any not so demanded attraction, insert hot IP, and whamo! It's more popular. Guess what? I can make the American and Japan pavilion more popular. Slap a big hero 6 coaster down and call it Sanfransokyo! Instant mega popularity. But just because you can, doesn't mean you should. Disney should be better than that in my eyes.

American Adventure is still widely considered one of the best shows in the park. Not just that, but this is one of those buildings I actually don't mind waiting in because it is so beautiful.

Mac Tonight

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom