Frozen vs. Maelstrom

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
Oh gosh šŸ˜®. Lol no we actually are the type where we try and ride everything. Been on Maelstrom a number of times. Actually Dumbo and the show with the Bear animatronics in MK ( forgot the name) are the two I haven't done in 20 years.
Country Bear Jamboree.
I loved the Christmas version but cannot bring myself to listen to blood on the saddle anymore so I stopped going to see it lol.

Mickey5150

If people wanted the Maelstrom to stick around then they probably should have gotten in line. My favorite thing about that ride was the multiple rides I did on it while my family sat around waiting for Illuminations. I don't do that with Frozen. People can complain all they want but people still go to Epcot and now a lot more people go in the Norway pavilion to experience the ride.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
Unpopular vote: Frozen.

I liked Maelstrom when it opened. Near the end, it needed a change. I just got the feeling that it never got the attention it needed. We can debate whether or not Maelstrom should have gotten an overhaul - but if we're looking at Frozen now vs what Maelstrom was near the end. I'll go with the snowman and the reindeer.

PurpleMan

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
I just got the feeling that it never got the attention it needed. We can debate whether or not Maelstrom should have gotten an overhaul
After the Norwegian government stopped funding the pavilion in 2002, Disney acted like they didn't have the money to update Maelstrom. But as soon as some movie with a talking snowman becomes immensely popular worldwide, the money needed to rip out and replace Maelstrom just magically appears.:rolleyes:

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
After the Norwegian government stopped funding the pavilion in 2002, Disney acted like they didn't have the money to update Maelstrom. But as soon as some movie with a talking snowman becomes immensely popular worldwide, the money needed to rip out and replace Maelstrom just magically appears.:rolleyes:

Your question was Frozen v Maelstrom. My answer was Frozen. The circumstances surrounding why and how doesn't really add much to the question you posed.

Animaniac93-98

I just see no point in lamenting about it YEARS after the change.
The attraction was closed 6 years ago in October.

Seems a perfect time to talk about now that Hong Kong Disneyland, Walt Disney Studios Paris and Tokyo DisneySea are all building their own Frozen Lands right now. Proving how short sighted and cheap this decision in WDW was.

1594585838744.png

1594585938292.png

PurpleMan

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Your question was Frozen v Maelstrom. My answer was Frozen. The circumstances surrounding why and how doesn't really add much to the question you posed.
I wasn't looking for a debate/argument if that's what you're thinking. And I didn't post this thread with the intention of starting one either. You gave your opinion and so can I. Oh and the title of this thread isn't in the form of a question either.

Last edited:

PurpleMan

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Seems a perfect time to talk about now that Hong Kong Disneyland, Walt Disney Studios Paris and Tokyo DisneySea are all building their own Frozen Lands right now. Proving how short sighted and cheap this decision in WDW was.

View attachment 483233

View attachment 483234
This right here reinforces my belief that the Norway pavilion is the wrong place for FEA. But what do I know? I'm just some guy who's been going to WDW for 30 years now and has an appreciation for a time when Epcot was truly a great theme park.

correcaminos

I like a lot of the Frozen ride, just not in Epcot. It does not fit, nor belong in Norway at all. That's my only issue with it.

My 12yo still misses Maelstrom and the movie after. We watched that soooo many times.

mf1972

I never rode Maelstrom, but have ridden Frozen a couple times. It's not a terrible ride, but something about it just feels "cheap". Something about it just doesn't fit with the previous ride's layout.
to me it seems like thereā€™s too much to cram in there for a very short ride. itā€™s not a bad ride. weā€™ll ride it at least once every trip, but i preferred maelstrom. the 1 little thing iā€™ll miss about that ride is that little village setting when u get off the boat. it was 1 of my favorite scenes on the ride.

UNCgolf

Maelstrom was nothing special, but neither is FEA and Maelstrom was at least in the proper location.

Frozen Ever After would be a disaster if it had been built from scratch; it gets graded on a curve for being shoehorned into an existing location that didn't have room for much. With that said, it's probably in the bottom quarter of all rides at WDW. I would only ride if it was a walk-on.

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
Maelstrom was nothing special, but neither is FEA and Maelstrom was at least in the proper location.

Frozen Ever After would be a disaster if it had been built from scratch; it gets graded on a curve for being shoehorned into an existing location that didn't have room for much. With that said, it's probably in the bottom quarter of all rides at WDW. I would only ride if it was a walk-on.
So that means you have never even been on it and will never go on it...

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
I would Only say Maelstrom as an attraction itself.

Too bad the overall maintenance of the attraction was in one of the worst conditions by the time it closed..

October82

If people wanted the Maelstrom to stick around then they probably should have gotten in line. My favorite thing about that ride was the multiple rides I did on it while my family sat around waiting for Illuminations. I don't do that with Frozen. People can complain all they want but people still go to Epcot and now a lot more people go in the Norway pavilion to experience the ride.

This well summarizes the difference between "old" and "new" Disney. Old Disney was about creating "intellectual property" with lasting cultural resonance. New Disney is about selling what is hot today and hoping for the best tomorrow. FEA doesn't get the numbers it does without the rest of Epcot and WDW being built on attractions that look more like Maelstrom.

Mickey5150

This well summarizes the difference between "old" and "new" Disney. Old Disney was about creating "intellectual property" with lasting cultural resonance. New Disney is about selling what is hot today and hoping for the best tomorrow. FEA doesn't get the numbers it does without the rest of Epcot and WDW being built on attractions that look more like Maelstrom.
Maelstrom didn't get any numbers without fastpass to slow the line.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom