Frozen vs. Maelstrom

PurpleMan

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
American Adventure is still widely considered one of the best shows in the park. Not just that, but this is one of those buildings I actually don't mind waiting in because it is so beautiful.
4372026452_15d5e289a0_b.jpg

erasure fan1

American Adventure is still widely considered one of the best shows in the park. Not just that, but this is one of those buildings I actually don't mind waiting in because it is so beautiful.
Yes, it is a fantastic show. But I can't remember the last time I went and it demanded a line. Or we had a near full theater for that matter. My point was not really a dig at that area, but that if you put a big hero 6 coaster in, I guarantee there will be big lines. It's about making an area more popular by slapping whatever popular IP in weather it fits thematicly or not.

Mickey5150

Yes, it is a fantastic show. But I can't remember the last time I went and it demanded a line. Or we had a near full theater for that matter. My point was not really a dig at that area, but that if you put a big hero 6 coaster in, I guarantee there will be big lines. It's about making an area more popular by slapping whatever popular IP in weather it fits thematicly or not.
If the Big Hero 6 Coaster could hold 1000 people per train there wouldn't be a line. Thematically Frozen is based on Scandinavian architecture so it isn't entirely outside it's element in Norway. Had they put it in another country then it would be slapping it wherever.

aladdin2007

The absolute worst part about the change was they relied so heavily on projectors that it was necessary to close up the cave to prevent light pollution.
View attachment 484096
View attachment 484097

This, it was an absolute travesty what they did with that more than anything,,I didnt want frozen in there either but got over it, however closing up that great waterfall was total idiocy I will never forgive them for that. It was such a great feature and made the pavilion so cool. They completely undid Imagineerings beautifully designed pavilion. They really just........uggg.

as queens of the wdw scene correctly posted: Besides the change had a lot to do with Norway's contract with Disney expiring and Norway not wanting to pay what Disney wanted for them to have rights at the Pavilion. (I don't blame Norway for that)

Norway was indeed given the option to be involved but the cost of a hundred mill the govt was not willing to pay for. I dont blame them either, but for a well to do nation it saddened me, though many attempts were made including potential outside sponsorship that could have been involved and on board, which Norway tried hard for.

as marni has stated in the past, a plan for a Maelstrom refurbishment had been put together, its a shame we didnt get it.
I just wish with frozen they could have made a ride through Norway hosted by the Frozen characters, I think that could have been great and made both fans and frozen fans happy, but instead everything has to be ip only, nothing original or exactly fitting for its location.

Were just fortunate we got to keep Norway as such, there were other potential options that some were striving for at the time.

erasure fan1

If the Big Hero 6 Coaster could hold 1000 people per train there wouldn't be a line. Thematically Frozen is based on Scandinavian architecture so it isn't entirely outside it's element in Norway. Had they put it in another country then it would be slapping it wherever.
Not a big fan of based on so great, it fits. Personally I think it is a bad fit. If you think it works, great, to each their own. I just think it's out of place and frozen, although I'm not a fan, deserved more.

Walt Disney1955

Sure, but that's cheap. The one thing about Disney is that it is supposed to be different. I can go to Six Flags and while there is a place for those parks (if they actually survive the closures that is) the truth is no one does things quite like Disney. They have several attractions that are not done anywhere else. American Adventure is one of them. Just a lovely section even to wait in. Grand theatre too. Those chairs................I could almost fall asleep in them.

The Empress Lilly

The first scenes of Frozen are alright-ish. Then it just falls apart into a 'hey kids, you want to see a projection face sing a fifteen second snippet of the 2013 mega-hit Let it Go!?'

Maelstrom wasn't WDW's finest either, but it oozed with rugged, manly, Norwegian atmosphere. My inner manly man (although very little of that shines through on my meek outside!) came off it wanting to drink blood out of the skulls of my enemies.

bdearl41

I choose Maelstrom but understand why Disney did it. Also it’s not like Frozen is a bad ride. Kids adore it and it’s a push that could help a lot of kids become more interested in the world and different cultures. The overall dissatisfaction for me specifically is more in line with Epcot is no longer the Epcot we grew up with. Horizons, Body Wars, the original Journey into Imagination. The early 90s Epcot held such a strong place in my heart. Evolution of the park has simply made me miss childhood, but seeks to improve the childhood memories of my kids. That said I’m ready to ride Guardians.

FettFan

This, it was an absolute travesty what they did with that more than anything,,I didnt want frozen in there either but got over it, however closing up that great waterfall was total idiocy I will never forgive them for that. It was such a great feature and made the pavilion so cool. They completely undid Imagineerings beautifully designed pavilion. They really just........uggg.

Plus it was a great place for photos, with the rockwork, the wrought-iron fence, and the boats peeking out the cave in the background.

I wouldn't have minded losing the cave so much had they actually installed new plumbing to have the waterfall cascading down from the top of the rocks. As it stands now, it just looks stupid. Where's the water supposed to be flowing from?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom